Old July 9, 2001, 17:16   #1
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 08:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CivIII Cool Feature: Internet actualization. Plz, FIRAXIS, read.
Wouldnt be nice to be able to download official new advances, civs, units, are so and plug in to the game?.
That would make the game much more fun and would make us to be waiting anxious each week or month for new cool stuff!.
And of course, this service would be free of charge.
Old July 9, 2001, 17:25   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:24
i believe a central web hub would be better than a built in program.

it'd save time too.
Old July 9, 2001, 17:48   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 13:24
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i believe a central web hub would be better than a built in program.

it'd save time too.
I believe it would be better to build in program.

But you're right, it'll save time to do it otherwise
Old July 9, 2001, 17:52   #4
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 11:24
If the game is anything like SMAC, they'll release a pack with new civs and leaders and unique units and so forth
Old July 9, 2001, 19:50   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yea. firaxis aint done milking you yet.

if they make me pay for online gaming (ala ww2 online, everquest, etc) i'll destroy their servers.
Old July 9, 2001, 21:43   #6
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Would be nice, but I have yet to see a game company release anything official for free beyond patches and some scenarios that didn't make the first gold disc. Anything really good would be saved for an add-on(like SMACX) or a new game(Civ4).

An updater program would be easy to put in. Sierra has one they include with most of their games which I find handy.
Old July 10, 2001, 07:27   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
Look at the SimCity site. There's lots of new material for download, some of it contributed by the developers and the rest by fans. It doesn't matter if much of it is fan initiated. The site as a whole is a brilliant resource for the game and encourages you to keep playing long after you might otherwise have stopped.
Old July 10, 2001, 07:48   #8
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 12:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
Would be nice, but I have yet to see a game company release anything official for free beyond patches and some scenarios that didn't make the first gold disc.
Sorry, but that's false. Some companies did, also in RTS/TBS area, sorry if I don't link any name, but I'm far from any reference note right now
The point is if the game is selling better with some web enhancement or not. Do you have any Return of Investment from time you spend doing added units, maps, etc.?

I bet Civ III can gain a lot from a monthly or bimonthly official support.
Considering how large is the fan base, Firaxis can simply take any worthy fan "half done unit/civ/leader/map", clean up and enhance it to a professional level, then publish it for free (quoting original author, of course).
Ehi, I bet people around here will kill to gain a place on official download area!
Low cost added value for Civ III, both Firaxis and Fan can win... what can be wrong? A dedicated expansion must be done only as a "Civ 3.5" enhancement, not because of a bunch of added units and map, IMHO.
Keep the game alive, and you can milk cash for very long...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 10, 2001, 08:02   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:24
Certainly Sim City, which I didn't particularly like as a game, had a nice thing going with d/lable landmarks, etc. It's one of those things that keeps you hooked way beyond what you might have otherwise. This helps keep the word of mouth going: "Hey, should I make the Staples Center and put it up for download?" Co-worker: "What are you smoking?" "I mean, it's for Sim City, you know." Co-worker: "I've heard about that. Is it any good?"

Anyway, from that appreciation Maxis has for the Net community has come the Sims and their on-line concept. So instead of slapping up a site as a matter of obligations, Maxis is finding a way to use the Net to fuel a solid revenue stream.

The only good thing I can say about Sim Golf, in fact, is that Maxis is influencing it! Of course, once again, I hated the Sims...but I like the company a great deal.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 10, 2001, 22:17   #10
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:24
Personally, I don't download scenarios and maps very often, but I do think that it would add a lot to the game. Remember that even if Firaxis doesn't make them, there will be plenty of people at Apolyton who will. They don't necessarily need to be official.