Old July 9, 2001, 18:30   #1
joseph1944

GCs comments about 3D terrain
The new issue of Computer Games magazine (Aug. 2001) has a small article on Civ 3.
Quote:
Other Alpha Centauri features, such as the worse-than-useless 3D terrain, have thankfully been left behind.
So this is a small question answered. We will not have 3D terrain. My guess is back to 2D with isometric view. So, are we happy or unhappy?

A side note; The CD with the magazine is loaded with demo.
Warcraft 111
Duke Nukem forever
Max Payne
Diablo 2
The Sim online
Rogue Spear Black thorn
Dune online
Planetside
Motor city online
Majestic
Baldurs Gate 2
Throne of Bhaal
Medal of Honor
II 2 Sturmovik

Old July 9, 2001, 18:42   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 13:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: GCs comments about 3D terrain
I'd say I'm happy, that 3D terrain looked too acurate for me, that terrain could be used in a SimCity alike game, but not a game like civilization
Old July 9, 2001, 23:48   #3
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 06:24
I'm very happy that they are getting rid of the 3-D terrain. I hated that feature in Alpha Centuari.
Old July 10, 2001, 07:16   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
I would welcome genuinely earthlike 3-D terrain that did not make it difficult to see the critical game features. Unfortunately trying to represent a whole world - as they do in everything except scenarios - means most geographical features would barely ripple the surface. I am not in the least disappointed that the rolling sand dune effect of SMAC has been omitted.
Old July 10, 2001, 08:14   #5
Adm.Naismith
King

So the new trend is: if you can't do it right first time, tell the old way is still the best, uh?

I'm very happy that some game company have "nuts" to improve the genre, or I'd still be playing tennis on a Pong-like screen

They are mixing the concept of terrain map and game world display: to keep the map clear, they are flattening the game main action screen...
Animating only the units on a fixed, flat terrain is... useless? bad use of eye candy? reuse of Dino bones, I mean, animation routines? And did how many terrain tiles they draw to have that nice Civ II effect?

When people around here mentioned Black & White engine as a target for Civ III I did a laugh, but the once proposed Railroad Tycoon 2 level of graphics was a plausible target, IMO.

Now, after so many years, the best they can give us is this? That's OK, once again Sid missed the graphic, still hope they have better arrows for their longbow, as best AI in town, great gameplaying, lovely balancing, bug free...

Now, if someone at Firaxis will still cry because game magazine will rate a 4/10 on Civ III graphics, considering 2001/2002 average computing possibility...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 10, 2001, 08:26   #6
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

i would prefer to see smac-like terrain but only if there was an ability to rotate the map

as for black&white-like terrain, it's really "coooooool", but it took me ages to figure out how to move around. it took more time to get where i wanted to get rather than to do what i wanted to do....
Old July 10, 2001, 08:27   #7
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Duke Nukem Forever demo? Now I was wondering what on earth had happened to that game!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 10, 2001, 08:29   #8
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Perhaps should have been renamed Duke Nukem 'taking' Forever

I liked the concept of 3D terrain although for a civ game the implementation would have to be different to form distinct peaks for mountains and hills and some lightly rolling terrain. Could have been interesting...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 10, 2001, 08:43   #9
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
i would prefer to see smac-like terrain but only if there was an ability to rotate the map
Agree. And more smooth edges.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 10, 2001, 09:18   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
When people around here mentioned Black & White engine as a target for Civ III I did a laugh...
B&W engine? This can't be serious The second worst thing about B&W was that engine they used
Old July 10, 2001, 10:14   #11
Executor
Warlord

Local Time: 06:24
Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
I thought you could turn off the 3D terrain in SMAC if you didn't like it.
Old July 10, 2001, 10:43   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

RT II terrain could be interesting but it is still more suited to areas than whole worlds. It managed a pretty good job of North America but even so some of the angles were heavily accentuated (a 12/100 gradient was almost vertical). Trying to generate sensible maps that fit units and cities on them without looking silly is probably more resource consuming than they cared to commit to. I'd rather settle for really brilliant AI this time round and bumpy terrain next time than vice versa