Old July 11, 2001, 02:31   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If Civ3 gets released in October...
Infogrames itself is listing October as Civ3's release date, which I fail to believe. However, if this turns out to be true, I will personally capture and cage this Firaxis mascot (shown here with Sid circa 1992 on a much deserved vacaton after the successful release of Civ 1) until the 4th patch is released. But if progress is too slow, I might enroll him in the Activision Day-Care Center for Obese Firaxis Mascots...if you catch my meaning.

Oh Lord, hear my prayer. Please don't release Civ 3 based on quarterly financials. That is all...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Last edited by yin26; July 11, 2001 at 02:39.
Old July 11, 2001, 02:35   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Sid shown here WITHOUT cat (circa 2000). It would be tough to get used to such an image...

Old July 11, 2001, 03:01   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:26
yin, you need to get over your firaxis addiction! that trip you made did some good(remember the thread you did when you returned?) but apparently it had only temporary effects....

of course you could try to use the addiction in a positive way like i have done with my civ addiction: make an "Apolyton Firaxis Site"(short: AFiS, sounding like an egyptian god)
Old July 11, 2001, 03:07   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Yes, you are sooo right. O.K. As of now, I am giving myself a 'vacation.' How long should I take? (serious, since I know you are too kind to do it yourself )

Old July 11, 2001, 03:20   #5
Jeje2
Prince

Listen to Yin
Yes,
please listen to Yin and do not release it yet...

(I hearby have to change my decision of buying Civ3 asap to a later date, since I just cann't belive Civ3 to be ready for serious use in october. OK, I need a new computer as well before Civ3 ... 300MHz wow!!)

P.S. Has there been any talk about beta testers sofar?
(IIRC Firaxis was quite keen in late stages of SMAC production to tell that their beta testers are doing a great work - haven't seen those writings here sofar)
Old July 11, 2001, 03:21   #6
ContradictioN

October? That sounds about right. I hope it is on Halloween, thats my birthday

Old July 11, 2001, 03:25   #7
ContradictioN

Jeje, what are your specs?

300Mhz will be for if you play the game the way it was made to play (animations, size of map, # of players), etc.

You might be able to run it, just not be able to do everything you want.

The 1024x768 is kind of confusing. Why does it have to be that resolution? (I've got a feeling its that city view).

A lot of the screenshots aren't at that resolution, they're at 800x600. They may have been scaled down afterwards. But it does seem wrong.

I'm not bothered by it of course

Old July 11, 2001, 03:30   #8
ContradictioN

I'm interested to know why many people feel that this game will be buggy if it gets released early?

They've had a lot of time to make the game, and many people to make it. A bigger team than the team that made Black and White. (yes, I know it was buggy).

This game is not a revolution in gaming, they're all using known knowledge. They weren't doing any serious major changes or additions. They were just simply making things better. So 3 years sounds perfect to get everything done and without bugs.

And hey, October is just around the corner, can't wait. I'm really happy about it..

Old July 11, 2001, 03:43   #9
LaRusso
King

yin was right
i mean, all this info could have been posted on firaxis civ 3 site, i really do not know why it takes an army of fans to dig out all the informations....
300mhz is just about right...my 600mhz laptop is ok for abuse
Old July 11, 2001, 03:49   #10
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 12:26
Just like Jeje2 I have the same problem:

At the moment I only have a 180 Mhz. PC.
I am just able to play Ctp2, although it keeps
quitting to Windows, because I only have 32 MB....

So, don't release it yet, so that I can raise enough funds
for a new PC!
Old July 11, 2001, 03:52   #11
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
Just like Contradiction I have the same problem:

At the moment I only have a 180 Mhz. PC.
I am just able to play Ctp2, although it keeps
quitting to Windows, because I only have 32 MB....

So, don't release it yet, so that I can raise enough funds
for a new PC!
man, you live in the netherlands! cmon, if we, lowly eastern europeans, can afford it, so can you....
i expect you to equip yourself with pentium IV, flat screen and all the gadgets...or i will start losing my faith in EU
Old July 11, 2001, 04:01   #12
campmajor!
Prince

I have an expensive wife...
Old July 11, 2001, 04:32   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LaRusso:

It confuses me as well. One gets the feeling that the publisher is trying to pull teeth. This either means Firaxis is playing a cool game of poker waiting to lay down aces in a few months...or that cat is gonna come back looking awfully thin.

Contra:

I would agree with you except to say:

1. Just a few weeks ago, Dan was saying this and that just isn't "done" yet. He was referring in that case to resources, I believe. Now, if resources isn't handled properly, the whole game could be out of balance. I've also heard that they are about 85% done as of last month.

2. Which leads to the point that if they are releasing in October, they'd need to be in beta testing by now. But beta testing stuff that isn't "done" is a lesson in frustration, and ultimately the programmers will be forced to think more about meeting a deadline than putting the game through some hard-core testing with hard-core players.

3. The lack of information leads to only one of three conclusions: First, Firaxis could be totally and utterly disorganized (I leave that to your own view as to how such a situation might reflect the final product). Second, Firaxis could be the first and only gaming company in history to have kept quiet about an absolute gem because, you know, why advertise? Or, third, there could just not be anything to brag about yet. Just two months from a potential release date? Logic begins to cast a dim shadow over the situation...

Trust me on this: If Civ3 gets released in October, it will be a good 3 or 4 patches before we come even close to getting the game it should have been. And just when we WERE getting close, Firaxis will decide it's time to move on or put the real fixes in an expansion pack to "justify" the programming time that should have been better allocated to begin with. I've seen it a hundred times.

Now, what I think is happening is that the tired dance is working from the publisher's angle on this one. In all likelihood, Firaxis want to release this baby in Q1 or Q2 2002 but is getting this kind of indirect (and direct?) pressure to make the 2001 quarterlies look good. This, also, happens ALL the time. The question is: Can Sid's name keep the sharks calm? One would hope.

Last edited by yin26; July 11, 2001 at 04:38.
Old July 11, 2001, 04:42   #14
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
I have an expensive wife...
expensive usually means 'fine' congratulations!
Old July 11, 2001, 05:07   #15
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

1) october sounds like publisher's wishfull thinking to me...
2) if i dont hear it from firaxisi dont consider it to have much base
3) remember the initial date for smac and the actual release date....
Old July 11, 2001, 05:10   #16
ContradictioN

Well, yin, I am going to quote you on that when the time comes

Old July 11, 2001, 05:14   #17
ContradictioN

I've never followed any of Firaxis's games, so I can't tell what they are like with release dates.

But so far they seem to have everything together.

A website can't reflect the progress of the game, a website is mostly just advertisement. Besides, Dan is not updating the site, he is changing it completely. That makes the story different from being something bad.

Old July 11, 2001, 05:34   #18
Jeje2
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ContradictioN
I've never followed any of Firaxis's games, so I can't tell what they are like with release dates.
Next goes under IIRC and my memory as famous for the lack of it:
Originally SMAC was intended as a Q3 release.
Then it posponed a few times until they told us SMAC would be released just before christmust in november. Well, when 24th got closer and more problems apeared FIRAXIS released the demo on christmust eve and the game itself arrived in stores in late january/early february.

So something similiar might happen again...
Old July 11, 2001, 05:38   #19
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
1) october sounds like publisher's wishfull thinking to me...
why?
Old July 11, 2001, 05:56   #20
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I dunno, October doesn't sound unbelievable, especially if they have been making good progress and everything seems to be falling into place without too much complication, which I do get the impression of being the case. They just need to thoroughly test the game before it is shipped I suppose and make the odd minor tweak.

My point with bugs though is that although they should be minimised in the initial release, it isn't possible to eliminate, it is a process that can only tend towards an asymptote of perfection in this respect. As long as they keep patching, I do not have any concerns to be honest with you...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 11, 2001, 06:24   #21
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
expensive usually means 'fine' congratulations
Thanks, she really is fine. But you understand that also means restrictions on me....

But if I have enough time to beg, the Pentium 4 1,7 Ghz will become mine!
Old July 11, 2001, 07:33   #22
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Yin, your mourning still makes no sence.

How do YOU know that an october release would be too early ?
You are just to sure that whenever it will be released, it will be too early.

If they would say 'march' in december, it would be too early,
if they would say 'november' in june next year, it would be too early.

But you don't have any facts to base your opinion on.

Please stop posting your negative opinion overhere untill you have some good reason to have negative feelings.
If they have cool new featureas you're angry since the AI can't handle it, if they won't have cool new features you 'll be angry since there aren't any.

Smile on your face bro
Always look at the bright side of life
Old July 11, 2001, 08:14   #23
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Cyber:

If you would like to uplift my spirits (thanks, Pal! ), please take on the 3 points above that you seem to have missed. Thanks again!

Last edited by yin26; July 11, 2001 at 08:51.
Old July 11, 2001, 08:26   #24
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
If they have cool new featureas you're angry since the AI can't handle it, if they won't have cool new features you 'll be angry since there aren't any.
Well, I think you'll agree that cool new features with an AI that can't handle it ain't so cool, right? Also, I think you'll agree that NOT having any cool new features ain't so cool, either.

The solution?: Make a strong AI that can handle the cool new features. I'M A GENIUS!!! (I'm feeling better today. Thanks, Cyber! ).

Old July 11, 2001, 08:39   #25
Jeje2
Prince

You want facts...
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
But you don't have any facts to base your opinion on.
Now, I know this is a invitation to Yin...
But I'll try to answer something illogical instead.
  • Setup screens were not even designed on 1. Jun 2001 acording to FIRAXIS emplyee Soren Johanssen. (Oh, I'll do then later tonight, sure...)
  • In FGN FIRAXIS still refuses to talk about multiplayer. They just say something interesting is under development.
  • Colonies are not yet "done", said Dan Mangha here on 1 Jun 2001. Ok, luckily they don't affect gamebalance. (OK, this can mean just the tveaking and finetuning)
  • Were are the betatesting? I haven't heard a word, when FIRAXIS did SMAC they sure remembered to mention the beta team occaisionally. (OK this is not a clear fact, but an indirect one) Or, they just might skip the beta-testing before release. (And then it's gonna be a lot of fun, not.)

And, sure I would love to have Civ3 today. But right now Yin's skeptism has convinsed me about Civ3 not beeing ready for commersial product yet. FIRAXIS still has work to do. Now I just have to pray for delays like SMAC had...
Old July 11, 2001, 08:41   #26
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:26
According to what we know, Civ 3 is currently almost ready, it's now mostly testing, but they're good, as they don't hurry it!
Old July 11, 2001, 08:49   #27
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

My thanks to Jeje for bringing up some concrete examples. I knew all that stuff in a hazy kind of way (read them and stored them under "Big Picture") ... but Jeje is a far more precise fellow.

Listen, folks. I'm not AGAINST Civ3 coming out in October as a matter of principle. I'm against a terribly rushed Civ 3 coming out in October. If Firaxis were working on only one title, I'd look at the "two years of development" and have a lot more optimism despite the warning signs. But the aren't, so I don't. There are consequences to having your team go in two directions at once. I'll be VERY curious to see if Firaxis continues with the two games at once model after Golf and Civ 3 (sure, titles often overlap and teams get split off to do x-packs, etc., but two games in hard-core development at once?).

Old July 11, 2001, 11:22   #28
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

how often have you heard a development company working on two games and releasing them on the same month???
Old July 11, 2001, 15:46   #29
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Listen, folks. I'm not AGAINST Civ3 coming out in October as a matter of principle. I'm against a terribly rushed Civ 3 coming out in October. If Firaxis were working on only one title, I'd look at the "two years of development" and have a lot more optimism despite the warning signs. But the aren't, so I don't. There are consequences to having your team go in two directions at once. I'll be VERY curious to see if Firaxis continues with the two games at once model after Golf and Civ 3 (sure, titles often overlap and teams get split off to do x-packs, etc., but two games in hard-core development at once?).
Just received today, my copy of Computer Gaming World and it still said Aug 2001 (7-11-2001)

Old July 11, 2001, 17:33   #30
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Too funny. Let's hope we can laugh at the October date a few months from now, too.