Old July 12, 2001, 23:16   #1
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 06:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Factions Database Needs your help!
Hey all, I'm glad to see some posting over here on the creation threads. I often stop by here and am sad when there's only a post a week (seemingly). Anyways, I've started a little project and I need help. At this point I'm just filling out a spreadsheet for my own custom factions and original Smac/smax factions. I'd like to post the spreadsheet somewhere (ala someone's website) along with a few other handy alphatext and factiontext worksheets.

Further, I'd like to eventually automate some formulae into the spreadsheet to help in comparing factions, making faction templates, and otherwise tweaking the AI. As I see it, this could eventually merge with some of the 'Compare' games note-spreadsheets that are starting to happen for a Smac-wide database free and accessable to all.

The basic reason behind making the spreadsheet is twofold:
One, it's a tool to use in creating new factions/ entire new variants
Two, it'd be a nice reference containing all the variations we could find.

So, if you'd like to help, here's what I could use:

1. Your factions! If you've ever made a custom faction that you thought was humorous, a worthy opponent, a nice new take on Smac, or fit into a creative or strategic picture you created, lets post it!

2. Help with the spreadsheet. It's been vastly too many years since I had to use them in college and I'm afraid that though I'm amazed at their utility (used an excellent one for a MUD) I'm not aware of either all their potentials or how to go about using those potentials. I've got the basics down, and we're not really talking about a lot of data, but any ideas you have I could maybe discuss with you or someone that might know how to implement them.

3. Encouragement, or not. I know the spreadsheet has been useful to me in making my own variants, but that doesn't mean it'd be useful for others. If not, lets let this thread die a slow death.

4. Any ideas you have for creating a useful all-in-one tool and how to post it on a website, and where? The idea I have would be to maintain a downloadable copy of the spreadsheet with updated new factions at regular intervals.

As an aside, it'd be nifty to create some templates that gameplayers could use to report on their compare games. I wonder if it'd be possible for an emailed report to be merged with a database? I'm sure it must be...but this is off topic and on the topic of 'Compare' games and data.

So! At this point respond here with your ideas and if you have a faction you could include mail it here: Smacks House

Happy Crawlering,

Smack
Avenoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2001, 03:23   #2
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 07:31
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
take a look, or not
COWBOYS http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8248

LOSTBOYS http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8249

FORSAKEN http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=22380

I can email the .txt of any of them to you if you want it. I am not an artist, so I just use graphics I found on various fansites.
Old July 13, 2001, 15:10   #3
Avenoct
Prince

Thanks Gwillybj, and yes, if you could mail the actual factiontexts, that'd be simpler for me. They look interesting.

As an aside, I'd love to be able to make the spreadsheet extract the data and print it up in a .txt factiontext format. Anyone know if this is even possible? At that point it would feel like an app, and be far quicker to use for faction creation.

Happy Crawlering,

Smack

P.S. Email for Factions is Smacks Faction Emporium
Old July 13, 2001, 19:05   #4
Tokamak
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:31
I have extensive experience with excel from working in the lab. Of course, I was using it as an analytical tool, rather than a database, but I still think I could help.

As for extracting the faction.txt... I'm not so sure about that. The simplest way to handle it would be to issue a 'template' spreadsheet for people to put their data into. It would then be trivial to toss it into your main database (or spreadsheet, or whatever). Turning them into text files would probably require a custom application. Any 'I337 h4x0rs with m4d 5k33I5 out there?
Tokamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2001, 22:12   #5
Avenoct
Prince

Tokamak, I'm really glad you've Unlurked! Your scenario seems excellent (I'm personally having difficulties, but no mind), and your comments truly helpful. About the Template idea.....so you think it wouldn't be difficult to have people fill in a data template then load that into the master database? That would be a fine second best to the .txt->database->.txt idea. Like I said before, we're not talking about a lot of data, so manually entering it is no big deal. If its fine with you I might email you the tiny little spreadsheet as it looks thus far. You could add a template routine and send it back to me, or just send me a Very basic template routine now. Either way, if you're available/interested, I think it would add to the final posting of the spreadsheet.

I've recieved 8 factions so far! As with all creative things they vary wildly. I've a few additional requests of the faction-gods.

One thing I'm going to ask folks is to include as much background for the factions as possible. By incorporating that into the spreadsheet, the various and sometimes sordid ideas of all of us can bounce off one another in a faction 'creation vats'.

A second thing would be to include reports of playtesting. If you've actually gotten to use the faction in SP or MP games, as much or as little detail as you can append to your faction will also help the creative process of all.

Thirdly, any notes you feel are important to your faction please include! Ie, if you find that tweaking their economy rating changes their flavor entirely, maybe that'll be good to know.

So, thanks to the replies so far! I'll post a list of all the factions thusfar in a few days. Of course the overall point remains to post the spreadsheet on a website, and I'd like to do that sooner rather than later so I can get feedback and help developing it. I may post it here on Apolyton, but for a couple reasons would like to post it on a player's site too. For one, Apolyton is free, and I don't want to tie up the information highways for them. Secondly, a player has the luxury of maintaining their own site, so the sheet wouldn't drown in the threads and might recieve maintenence more easily. Mutter.

By the way, the spreadsheet is in Excel. I figured that was the most universal, and I happen to have it on my mac.

Happy Crawlering,

Smack
Old July 14, 2001, 01:40   #6
Tokamak
Chieftain

Go ahead and send me your sheet, and I'll see what it is you want to accomplish with it. I can't guarantee a prompt response, though. I'm knee-deep in SMAC Down right now. More importantly, I have several real life chores that I've been neglecting, so I might self-exile myself from this place for a few days.

I don't see the task as being technically challenging (very little math, if any), but good organization is a must. That's really more of an art than a skill.

As for merging spreadsheets, it could be as easy as cut and paste. More complex ones require a cross-linking application (I can't remember the name of the most common one off the top of my head), something that I don't have any experience with, but am confident that I can learn.

Also, have you been to the network node ? This fantastic site has a horde of custom factions, many with custom art and sounds! Even better, most the factions are divided up into mod packs, so they're been balanced with one another. So of them also have some very compelling ideas. I especially liked the Progenitor Civil War set, which pits three 'Caretaker' groups against three 'Usurper' groups, with the humans struggling in the middle.

I'll warn you that the non-stop Flash assault may be hard on your Mac. Hope it's a PowerMac!
Tokamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2001, 06:06   #7
Avenoct
Prince

Tarnations! The Net node is not workin' for me. I'll get in there one way or another..maybe they've already done what I'm doing?

Nonetheless, I'll clean up the sheet tomorrow, when I'm not wheedling my way out of a punishment sphere in SMAC down 2001, er 2100, er 2101! Look for it in the evening. If I can infiltrate the datalinks of the network node, that might broaden or change the scope of things a bit.

-Smack
Old July 15, 2001, 13:22   #8
Robby Boy
Warlord

I have a few that I'm working on right now, They should be finished ina day or two.

They are

1. The Third Reich
2. Containerlines (Shipping Company)
3. Crystal Palace Football Club (Football Supporters)
Robby Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2001, 21:42   #9
Avenoct
Prince

News: Well, if the Net Node lets me include and promote their nifty factions (that is an awesome site..make sure you have Flash though), I now have 60-80 factions collected, not including the 'Grand-Mods' like Star Wars or Star Trek. So the idea of a database seems all the more facinating. On the other hand I got hit hard with the writer's Muse the other night and have begun to focus on the full 4 scenario Mod, no, I hate the word Mod, full 4 scenario version/game for a quick write up for Beta Testing. The spreadsheet and/or database will be finished soon for initial publication, and I've gotten some good tips from Cybergod on how to do this. I figure to post an initial version in about 10 days, and with some tweaking to have a version ready for a web home by September. I'll either update the spreadsheet myself with new factions as they come in, or hand over the job to another.

Some details on the spreadsheet:

1. I'm thinking to keep the background and quotes for the factions limited mostly to their full txt files, so that the upfront database is easily surveyed to compare factions.

2. Instead I'll post a representitative quote from the faction background with the data to give the viewer an idea as to the mood of the faction

3. If the Network Node wants to take over the project, they just might be welcome to, as their Flash Technology makes for a truly enjoyable experience. Not all of us like looking at spreadsheets 'In-The-Raw', and even if they simply link it, I think they are a site I'd visit even more if they had almost all the custom factions created. Possibly they (or someone else?) would want to create a Flash version of a the spreadsheet for the sheer fun of it!

4. Be sure to check out Apolytons Downloads section...I thought it was broken..maybe it was...but it works now!

-Smack
Old July 16, 2001, 17:42   #10
Robby Boy
Warlord

Do you have a web address for the Network Node. The one thats linked to this site is dead.
Robby Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2001, 20:06   #11
Avenoct
Prince

The network node: You need 'Flash' to view this..be warned:

Network Node

I have news! The friendly host-designer-guru of the Network Node has agreed (in a preliminary way) to host the database! This is very good news. It turns out he has been thinking of doing the same thing for awhile, so I'll be helping him, and he'll be giving the database a home.

Other ETA's and thoughts remain the same. I think I'm seeing the database as really more a registry and download thing than a tool for quick faction-construction at this point, but I'm interested to see what a few friends come up with vis a vis automating the spreadsheet.

-Smack (back to a whole NEW Smac)
Old July 28, 2001, 15:31   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

networknodes site- I think it's changed it's URL to: networknode.org

I've submitted several factions to him And they have been fully modeled by him
Old July 28, 2001, 23:23   #13
Avenoct
Prince

Yes, I'm still working on it, but it's on the other burner. And I'm working with the network node on the final production and web-hosting for the database. You might check over there in a week or two for some preliminary data.

-Smack