Old August 2, 2001, 14:45   #61
Edward Riel
Settler

Local Time: 03:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can't build aqueducts
I spent last evening playing the recently updated Apolyton Pack, and have gotten about 250 turns into it (i.e. around 1000 AD) and have just realized that I cannot build aqueducts to increase the size of my cities, even though I attained the Masonry advance long ago...anyone else getting this bug?
Old August 2, 2001, 14:55   #62
Apollon
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:36
Yes, others have experienced the problem. Please post in the 1.1 thread instead, thx
Old August 2, 2001, 15:32   #63
Edward Riel
Settler

Ok, thanks!
Sorry for the faux pas - I blame it on inexperience!

I'll trudge my sorry posterior over to the 1.1 thread then..it's a shame though..I had a good game going, until I realized my cities couldn't grow any larger..all for naught!
Old August 2, 2001, 16:00   #64
Edward Riel
Settler

Apolyton Pack 1.1 thread
Well, I just searched the main board for the Apolyton Pack 1.1 thread, and couldn't find it...there's a med pack 1.1 thread, which is an entirely different subject matter...

I guess I'll just keep checking back to this thread to find out if theres any way I can play the Apolyton Pack 1.1 (gigantic
map game) and have the aqueducts work.

Old August 2, 2001, 18:45   #65
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Quote:
I spent last evening playing the recently updated Apolyton Pack, and have gotten about 250 turns into it (i.e. around 1000 AD) and have just realized that I cannot build aqueducts to increase the size of my cities, even though I attained the Masonry advance long ago...anyone else getting this bug?
Well, I'm also getting this bug... and, boy, it is frustrating! Ed, thanks for your information, or else I would have played my current game for some more dozens of turns before I noticed the bug!

Anyway, I wonder if this problem has been corrected by v1.1. I'm currently playing AP v1.0. To tell you the truth, I already downloaded v1.1, but I don't want to install it yet, since I'm having a lot of fun with my current game, and I suppose (but can't say it for sure) that, once I install the update, I'll have to start a new game, won't I?

Any help would be appreciated...
Old August 2, 2001, 19:19   #66
Edward Riel
Settler

Hello Alex, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one at the receiving end of this bug!

Anyways, I've got version 1.1 installed, so if I were you, I'd hold off on upgrading to 1.1, unless you don't mind not being to enlarge your cities!

Well, I've tried both med mod and the Apolyton Pack, but haven't yet been able to finish a game in either due to building queue problems...

Should I try Cradle?

Oh well, I'm having fun anyways...I'm willing to give med mod
and the Apolyton Pack another try if and when fix patches are provided...that's assuming, of course, that this particular bug
isn't due to an installation problem on my part (I don't think it is)...
Old August 2, 2001, 19:53   #67
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36
All I can say is wierd. The Apolyton Pack changes nothing in relation to buildings. Aqueduct has not been touched.

Todesengel:
Take a look at "Changes.txt" in the Apolyton Readmes folder of the download.
Old August 2, 2001, 20:16   #68
Edward Riel
Settler

Aqueduct bug
Hmm...could this bug be related to the fact that I have both med mod and the apolyton pack unzipped into my call to power 2 folder?

I suppose I could try deleting the whole file and reloading everything with only the apolyton pack...

Before I do this though, could anybody who has uploaded the Apolyton 1.01 upgrade and played it tell me if they have been able to build aqueducts?

If the answer is yes, then perhaps having the med mod in the same folder is causing the problem...
Old August 2, 2001, 20:48   #69
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Quote:
Hmm...could this bug be related to the fact that I have both med mod and the apolyton pack unzipped into my call to power 2 folder?
Ed, I don't think this is the problem, because I don't have the med mod installed (just Apolyton's and, of course, the original game), and I'm experiencing the bug.

Quote:
The Apolyton Pack changes nothing in relation to buildings. Aqueduct has not been touched.
Hmmm... really wierd. Aqueduct appears correctly at the GL, but no sign of it on the building queue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Masonry is the advance you need to discover in order to build the aqueduct. When I look at the Masonry entry at the GL, it doesn't show aqueduct as one of the buildings that are made available (the other is Arena, if my memory serves me).

I'll try to search the .txt files to see if I can find something wrong.
Old August 2, 2001, 23:08   #70
Edward Riel
Settler

Aqueduct bug
Great news, Alex!

I'm pretty much of a philistine when it comes to computers, but I decided to poke around and see what I could make of this damnable aqueduct bug, so I went into the default settings file, and found that Aqueduct was listed as becoming available with the advent of concrete...and that Arena was listed as becoming
available with the advent of Masonry - so the two were switched somehow...so I changed them, went back to my game, and voila, the aqueducts appeared in the building list!

I haven't actually built an aqueduct yet, but I'm about to go back to the game and give it a go...

Dale: I haven't finished my game yet, obviously, but from what I have played thus far, the AI is terriffic! And I love the additional
territory that the gigantic map option makes available...The first thing my best friend said, who is also an avid Civ player from way back, when he saw me playing CTP2 on the default 'gigantic' setting was 'gee that map looks small - are you sure thats the
gigantic map setting?'

So reformatting the map size was a capital idea. Great job.

Back to dreamland....
Old August 3, 2001, 03:49   #71
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:36
http://www.apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ctp2...iew.cgi?ID=613
Old August 3, 2001, 11:15   #72
Heimdall
Settler

Local Time: 12:36
Airunit file
It seems that the new file that was posted to fix the airunit bug, didn't do much. I think it's strange that only some have reported this, and that Dale haven't seen it at all. It's clear that the program reacts to something in the programming code in this perticular file. I'll try to download the entire 1.01 pack, instead of just the 1.01 update. Maybe this will do the trick. If someone knows what could fix this, please help. This bug is really unnecessary in this great pack. It clearly makes Ctp2 a much more enjoyable game, i only wish that there was some way to make it even more challenging...

Well anyway, thanks to Dale for doing this for all of us

I hope we can sort these minor problems out, so we can eliminate these crashes mid-game.

Thanks...
Old August 3, 2001, 11:49   #73
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Can I just ask people who have/haven't got the error, what you have debugslic set to in userprofile.txt ?
Old August 3, 2001, 12:10   #74
Heimdall
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Can I just ask people who have/haven't got the error, what you have debugslic set to in userprofile.txt ?
I tried setting the debug to No, and that seemed to do the trick.
All airunits now seem to work as they should, without the program crashing to desktop. And thats really all I wanted

So now I'll just keep on playing this great game, and I hope you guys out there, who are trying to make this game even more playable and enjoyable, keep on working.

Just one more question... Is it possible for you Dale, or any other for that matter, to make the A.I. in this pack play a little more aggressive? It seems to me that they allow their defenses to crack way to easy. They should attack you more early in the game, to keep you from outgrowing them in strength. Anyway, thats just me...

Again thanks to Immortal Wombat for making this easy
Old August 3, 2001, 12:54   #75
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Riel
Should I try Cradle?
Of course you should
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 4, 2001, 06:42   #76
DanoPDX
Settler

ADVANCE_OCEANOGRAPHY

The advances ADVANCE_OCEANOGRAPHY, ADVANCE_COMPASS, ADVANCE_ENGINEERING, ADVANCE_AGRO_INDUSTRY, ADVANCE_TELEGRAPH, ADVANCE_WHEEL, ADVANCE_PLASTICS,
ADVANCE_RADIO, ADVANCE_HIGH_PRES_CONSTRUCTION specified in the tileimp.txt is not in the advance database.

Will there be a new advance.txt in an apolyton pack 1.02?
Old August 4, 2001, 11:35   #77
Boba Fett
Settler

Local Time: 04:36
I have a newbie question. After installing the modswapper, I installed the apolyton mod v1.0 (v1.01 produced the same result). When I launch either of the two options from the modswapper, I get this error message, "SLIC Error, D:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\APOL_capturecity.slc: 26: No Function named DestroyBuilding"

I get several of these error messages in a row then the game loads. In the game, I choose new game and I get the same set of error messages, then the screen gets all garbled and unreadable. If I revert to the unmodded game, it works fine.

Looking in the slc file, I do not see any reference to 'DestroyBuilding'.

Has anyone else seen this?

I am using W2k SP1.
Old August 4, 2001, 13:15   #78
DanoPDX
Settler

I don't think SP1 has anything to do with it. You can try SP2 but be sure to get the 104MB download. The 500k download is a web based update and does not update everything correctly. Especially the dot4.sys virtual port driver. Which a lot of peripheral devices use.

You don't need to worry if you used the web based update for SP1. Microsoft has not reported any issues with installing SP2 over a web based update of SP1.

Be carefull though if you have a printer or external DVD or CD-ROM you should uninstall those then install SP2. It might not be required for everyone but I have seen some printer software start acting funny after you install SP2 if you don't uninstall them first.

What I would be sure of is that you have version 1.11 of CTP2

I am using the slic and I don't have any errors.
Old August 4, 2001, 13:25   #79
DanoPDX
Settler

OOppss, Boba Fett I forgot to say also that the path you have chosen may not be the best for Call To Power.

I have seen some software that can't be installed in a diferent directory than where the install program wants to put the game. You can change the drive letter, but not the path.

for example if the game wants C:\Program Files\Call To Power 2\ and you change it to D:\Program Files\Call To Power 2\ then that is ok.

if the game wants C:\Program Files\Call To Power 2\ and you change it to D:\Games\Call To Power 2\ then if the program is not written 100% perfect (which never happens ) then maybe some parts of the program will look in only \Program Files\Call To Power 2\ for information that the EXE of the game wants and may not find what it needs to work correctly.
Old August 5, 2001, 19:28   #80
Dale
Emperor

Updates........
Edward:
Thanks for the positive feedback. It's good to hear the MOD is going down well. I'll get the aqueduct fixed and put it in an update_1.02 file soon. Once other changes are made.

Heimdall:
Ahhh........ that's what I forgot to put in the readme file! DebugSlic=No must be set in userprofile.txt. *bangs forehead* As for making the AI more agressive, I've gone for a more expanded AI than that of Cradle. I've enhanced the combat ability of the AI using some of Cradle's MODS, but also the diplo/science/economic ability of the AI as well. Basically, I'm trying for a well-rounded AI, not just a military minded AI. Hope this explains it. If it's just combat AI's you want, use Cradle.

DanoPDX:
I replied by email to your query, but just to reiterate for others who might get this error. Apolyton Pack does not make use of the file tileimp.txt. I know the pack rolled out with the file APOL_tileimp.txt in it, but it does not get used. If you ARE getting these errors, you must go into "APOL_gamefile.txt" and "APOLUL_gamefile.txt" and delete "APOL_" from the line containing tileimp.txt. This will fix the problem.

Boba Fett:
Not using Win2K, I can't help you on that aspect. But make sure your CTP2 has the Activision patch installed or you'll get about 5 or 6 error msgs.

ALL:
I will publish one last update file for the Apolyton Pack. This will be v1.02 of Apolyton Pack. So this is the last chance for changes/additions/bugs to be fixed. At this point we have:
- airunit.slc
- aqueducts
Let me know through this thread if there are any other problems.
Old August 6, 2001, 01:03   #81
Boba Fett
Settler

Local Time: 04:36
For some reason, the patch did not install properly. I re-installed it and the mod works great. Except for one error message I get whenever I conquer a city.

I get the following error now, "In Object MM2_CapitalCaptured, variables "MM2_CapitalCaptured#tmpCity1' and 'noname' are of different types." There is another error box, but I did not capture it.

I click through it and the game moves on. So far I have only captured three cities but it happened every time.

Thanks for the help all.
Old August 6, 2001, 10:07   #82
Frog_Gamer
CTP2 Source Code Project
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:36
Dale,

I have been having a great game but something weird happened the other day:

After successfully destroying a stack of 12 enemies, I was attacked by a stack of 12 barbarians archers that came from nowhere. I didn't see them come!!! I defeated those barely, but it went on and on (3 times in fact) and my city fell

The same thing has happened in cradle 1.2 and you are both using common files. Do you know from were the problem is coming?

cheers
Old August 6, 2001, 16:42   #83
Cookie Monster
King

Another newbie question here.....forgive me if this one has been asked before.

I have installed the Apol Pack v1.1 with modswapper and have noticed that in the diplomacy screen there seems to be an error. I'm talking about when you view intelligence on another country the leaders name is the same name as the leader of your country. Also the picture of the leader shown is the one of your leader. Very minor problem really but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Old August 7, 2001, 08:43   #84
Morr-go
Settler

Well the Apolyton Pack sure has made CTP2 MUCH better, but...
those slic-errors. In the Apolyton pack 1.0 I received numerous slic errors, but in the new version just one (I never saw more of them). So you're my only lifeline to this problem! I haven't figured out how should this be solved. The error I get is:

SLIC ERROR
In object CheckForUnit, function _GetUnitFromArmy: Value out of bonds

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old August 7, 2001, 10:57   #85
Ozymandous
Prince

Another comment or two..
First of all, thanks to all who made the different mod's and to Dale for compiling them. I had initially bought and played CTP2 for a week or so before shelving it because it was more of the same old thing, the mod-pack brings new life to the game, thanks!

Second comment... Did anyone else (possibly those who hadn't installed any of the other mods) have the requirements for terraforming change? I rushed to research Explosives but could not terraform _any_ hills once I had discovered it.

After playing for a few hundred more turns, and with science crawling once past the middle/renaissance age periods, I decided to dig through the game files to see if I could figure out what happened. Sure enough, in the APOL_terrain.txt file I found the values for modifying hills to be FUSION. WTF? Fusion is needed to terraform mountains! So I changed it a little. Now hills can be removed with Slave_Labor but not rebuilt until the advent of Explosives. Mountains can be removed with Nuclear Power but not rebuilt until the discovery of Fusion.

Needless to say the game is fun again for me because I can finally terraform all those pesky hills into grassland as needed.

One question however, I still do not have Capitalization even though I discovered Global Economics, does anyone know where to modify this value back? Thanks!

(I posted this because I think Dale had mentioned that no advances were changed, so no update to the Great Library was needed. Just the simple changes to terraforming that I found did indeed drastically change how the game flowed and led to erroneous data in the Great Library. Just a FYI. Great mod though, very fun to play & no errors installing either
Old August 7, 2001, 15:57   #86
Dale
Emperor

Boba Fett:
Changed the line DebugSlic=Yes to DebugSlic=No in the file \ctp2_program\userprofile.txt This will fix those errors.

Frog_Gamer:
That's what happens in the new barb settings. They are a lot tougher now, but not as tough as in Cradle. Try a lesser barb setting.

Haupt:
That's the nature of the CTP2.EXE setup. When you send a proposal or offer something, the picture is of you. If you receive a proposal or request something the picture is of them. Hope this clears it up.

Morr-Go:
Did you keep going on a game you were playing before you installed the 1.01 update? If so, you will need to start a new game. Unfortunately, due to the types of changes in the 1.0 to 1.01 update old save games won't work with the update.

Ozymandous:
Thanks for finding the terraform bug. I've fixed it up so terraforming will need the advances from the original settings. Capitalization becomes available after researching Global Economics. Has anyone else found this problem? Take a look at APOL_advances.txt and look for ADVANCE_GLOBAL_ECONOMICS. The bottom line should say "Capitalization". If it doesn't, add it back in. BTW, buildings didn't get changed, advances did.
Old August 8, 2001, 01:23   #87
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
something.tga message?
I'm playing with the Apolyton pack 1.01 and every now and then in the messages box at the start of a new turn, instead of a normal message I'm getting some obscure file name with a .tga on the end of it. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Old August 8, 2001, 01:23   #88
bigfree1

A little bug...
Hi Dale

I've installed ver. 1.01 of the Apolyton pack and it's plays very well, thanks!

In addition to the small problems noted and have made plans to fix with ver. 1.02, I may have a problem, you tell me:

I have a "peace treaty"(not just cease fire) with everyone on the map and I have my units set at the "at peace" mode(not "at alert"), yet in the city manager in the "status" board people are unhappy because of "war discontent" to a factor of (-4). I think this is not supposed to be so?

Thanks for the job you've done so far! It fills the days waiting for Civ 3 !

Old August 8, 2001, 04:37   #89
Morr-go
Settler

Dale, I uninstalled CTP2 and deleted any remains of it. And then installed CTP 2 again and the new version of Apolyton 1.01 also (so I didn't update). Sorry to whine about such thing, but the pack improves the game so much that I just HAVE to get it working properly. I'm all out of ammo on this one.
Old August 8, 2001, 18:26   #90
Dale
Emperor

Bigfree1:
Thanks for the compliments. Have you got troops outside of your cities or borders? This contributes to war-discontent. It's nothing to do with the MODS.

Russell:
You using an old saved game from before you installed Apolyton Pack? It won't work right. Start a new game. Using a saved game from Apolyton Pack 1.0? Type ' to bring up the chat window, and then /reloadslic and press enter twice. You'll get a msg saying "SLIC Reload OK!" Try that.

Morr-go:
This is how to get Apolyton Pack 1.01 to work for everyone on Win98.
1. Install CTP2.
2. Install Activision CTP2 patch.
3. Change Call to Power 2\ctp2_program\userprofile.txt so DebugSlic=No.
4. Install Modswapper.
At this point you can install Either of Apolyton Pack, Med Pack or Cradle.
5. Unzip Apolyton Pack zipfile to CTP2 directory.
6. Run Modswapper and choose from the two Apolyton Pack versions.

To get Apolyton Pack 1.01 working on Win2K.
1. Install CTP2.
2. Install Activision CTP2 patch.
3. Change Call to Power 2\ctp2_program\userprofile.txt so DebugSlic=No.
Common theme here eh? Now it changes.
4. Copy the following files from Call to Power 2\ctp2_data\default\ to a temp location:
- Newsprite.txt
- Wondermovie.txt
- Gamefile.txt
5. Copy the following files from Call to Power 2\ctp2_data\english\ to a temp location:
- Great_Library.txt
6. Unzip Apolyton Pack to CTP2 directory.
7. Rename:
- APOL_newsprite.txt to newsprite.txt
- APOL_wondermovie.txt to wondermovie.txt
- APOL_gamefile.txt to gamefile.txt (or if you want to play the Mega-gigantic maps rename APOLUL_gamefile.txt to gamefile.txt)
- APOL_Great_Library.txt to Great_Library.txt
8. Copy Great_Library.txt to \ctp2_data\default\
9. Open gamefile.txt into notepad and change the following lines:
- APOL_newsprite.txt to newsprite.txt
- APOL_wondermovie.txt to wondermovie.txt
- APOL_Great_Library.txt to Great_Library.txt

Apolyton Pack will now be the default setup for CTP2. NOTE: Step 2 & 3 are CRITICAL for any of the MODS available for download from here. We Modmakers make use of new commands that came out with the CTP2 patch.

Hope this helps mate.