Good stuff. I'm looking forward to it.
Old April 17, 2002, 09:17   #153
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Apolyton Pack V2.0 update....
Okay, just to fill you in on how updating the Apolyton Pack is going:

- I've converted the WAW text files so they're compatible with AP (most of these files are hybrids of Cradle's text files). I've updated diplomod.slc to include the multi-player patch, and added in ComsForAIs, FortsForAIs & CityKill scripts by Martin. I've added the infrastructure/capitalism fix (can't remember off-hand who did it) which fixes that AI bug. I've also added in WAW's version of frenzy into it as well. It's all fitted in nicely.

I played a test game (8 civs/hard/huge) on my test environment, and played 100 turns. The AI's are ALL a mile in front of me. They've pulled away from me in all fields (economics, science, military & overall). I've already been in 2 wars, with no city changes but quite a few 2-4 stack skirmishes. I've seen a few other things that need adjustments as well.

Oh, and I'm calling this V2.0 as this is a new breed of AP, with completely updated internal organs. Actually, I'm considering calling this breed the Super Apolyton Pack! The fans unofficial patch.

I'll keep you updated.
Old April 20, 2002, 18:11   #154
The Starfox
Settler

Local Time: 11:36
When I play with the mod in, I will be playing fine with the republic govenment being used, then when I enact the governmet to democracy, the contry goes to crap. Happines goes way down, suddenly I am opperating at a negative savings, ect. in the original game with no maods, when ever I changed to democracy, everything got better not worse. I have uninsttaled and reinstalled, with activision patch, then apolyton patch 1.1. Problem still persist. It did it with the gigantic world setting also. Is it just me or is it a known problem? or is it suppose to be that way?
Old April 20, 2002, 18:35   #155
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:36
Quote:
Originally posted by The Starfox
When I play with the mod in, I will be playing fine with the republic govenment being used, then when I enact the governmet to democracy, the contry goes to crap. Happines goes way down, suddenly I am opperating at a negative savings, ect. in the original game with no maods, when ever I changed to democracy, everything got better not worse. I have uninsttaled and reinstalled, with activision patch, then apolyton patch 1.1. Problem still persist. It did it with the gigantic world setting also. Is it just me or is it a known problem? or is it suppose to be that way?
You mean inacting by pressing the button inact? If yes than you have to wait some turn until the new government will work until then you have to cope with the anarchy that give you crappy values in growth, productio and so on only the city limit is nice. The lenght of anarchy is one up to four turns and this is also the case in the originaly game and all other mods.

-Martin
Old April 20, 2002, 22:03   #156
The Starfox
Settler

What I mean is after anarchy, and the government becomes a democracy. As soon as that happens, happines drops, income drops, crime goes up. Its like democracy is far worse than a republic. When I switch it back to republic, everything goes back to how it was. This never happened in the unmodified game, where democracy was a big improvement over republic. I dont know if the same applies to later govenments after democracy becuase things got to bad to keep the contry running, riots everywhere, money dries up, ect ect ect.
Old April 26, 2002, 03:27   #157
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:36
RE: enacting Democracy
You may have already looked at the variables I'm about to mention so forgive me if this is a useless post, but here goes:

In the past, even with un-modded games, I too have had my civ go to crap after enacting new gov'ts, particularly the democracy

In my case, what happened was my war standing and the number of garrisons I had were way out of line with what the citizens of the democracy "want".

To wit, Democracy war-tolerance is very low. On top of that, it's military effectiveness is one of the lowest for any government in the game, thus requiring more units in your army just to keep your fighting forces competitive with the A.I.'s - this in turn leads to even more war discontent and more per-turn upkeep costs (making you go broke real quick)....

When you ran into this issue were you at war? Had a lot of troops garrisoned? I rarely use democracy so my assessment may just be wrong, but I thought I'd put in my two cents.

good luck

Last edited by DeanToth; April 26, 2002 at 05:07.
Old April 26, 2002, 03:31   #158
DeanToth
Chieftain

Oh yeah, one more thing:

Democracy, if memory serves, does indeed have a higher crime rate... which is realistic considering the liberal social freedoms inherent in such a government.

This would contribute to your higher crime, thus decreasing your per-turn income and leaving less to upkeep your weaker army... yet another viscious cycle.

Democracy is very good for science, so when I use it, I make sure I've been "out of war" for a good period, checkiing my war discontent ratings as they slowly fall. Even when you are no longer at war, the war discontent doesn't immediately fall to 0, it slowly slowly falls and falls even slower with democracy.

then, I enact democracy, using as few troops as possible and develop fewer but higher tech units.
Old April 26, 2002, 04:10   #159
DeanToth
Chieftain

APOLYTON PACK INSTALLATION CONFUSION - PLEASE HELP
OK I've never modded CTP before but after all the glowing reviews of AP I am itching something fierce to try it out!!!!

I'm nervous though because there are apparently several versions (1, 1.1, 1.2... and now 2.0?).... Plus in reading thru all of the posts here I saw a mention that someone should install diplomod at the same time as installing Apolyton....

finally, on the files page, I see a apolyton pack download and a secondary download, but after d/ling them their readme files seem the same so I am experiencing great confusion at this. And neither of these downloads appears to be v1.2, but I saw the file attached on another post here and downloaded that.

HELP!! I don't want to screw up my ctp installation. If I install 1.0 can I skip 1.1 and install 1.2?

Can someone in the know clarify things for me in a step-by-step fashion?

Many thanks....

PS OH - and may I plug the multiplayer registry in the CTPII forum for all those who haven't yet registered there? :-) After the disapointment of CivIII, we need to keep the CTP community alive and playing!

Last edited by DeanToth; April 26, 2002 at 05:06.
Old April 26, 2002, 09:24   #160
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36
Installing Apolyton Pack for CTP2!
Version 1.02

Okay, there's been a little confusion from newbies and old veterns returning from Civ3 (good on 'em ) about how to install the Apolyton Pack. The latest stable player version is V1.02 and is about 12 months old. The current CTP2 files database is a little out of date (today being 26th April 2002).

1. Install CTP2.
2. Install the Activision patch.
3. Install ModSwapper.
4. Install Apolyton Pack V1.01.
5. Install the Apolyton Pack V1.02 update.

Load up ModSwapper and double-click on Apolyton Pack. Now you should be playing.

Version 2.0

Currently this is in development and the only playable version in the world is on my hard-drive. You'll hear about it when it's ready.
Old April 26, 2002, 10:32   #161
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:36
Dale, is a 'proper' v1.02 download available anywhere? I.e. one that can be installed directly, without the v1.01 install being necessary? It's time the databases get updated properly...
Old April 26, 2002, 11:42   #162
DeanToth
Chieftain

THANKS!!
Ahh, the fog of war has lifted from my mental-map of things.

Dale:
So, version 2.0 being worked on too? That sounds sooooo cool. It should kick @$$

I'm glad you are out there toiling away with line after line of SLIC code for us poor schlubs. Your work is appreciated.

Take it easy

(now for some serious civvin on my day off)
Old May 6, 2002, 08:02   #163
Ashura
Settler

Hi,

I installed Modwapper, Apolyton Pack 1.01 and 1.02 but when I ask modwapper to start the appolyton pack it said that "APOL_const.txt is absent from asset tree".
I looked up to find if I misintalled something but the file is absent from the download...

Can someone helo me

Thanks
Old May 6, 2002, 08:25   #164
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:36
here y'go
Attached Files:
File Type: txt apol_const.txt (14.0 KB, 6 views)
Old May 6, 2002, 08:30   #165
Ashura
Settler

thank you, actually I just find my error

I follow the instruction by Dale somewhat above and forget to install the main file (I installed only update 1.01 and 1.02, I have now installed the full pack)
Old May 6, 2002, 08:30   #166
Ashura
Settler

thank you, actually I just find my error

I follow the instruction by Dale somewhat above and forget to install the main file (I installed only update 1.01 and 1.02, I have now installed the full pack)

It should work.
Old May 6, 2002, 16:36   #167
Maajromax
Settler

Local Time: 06:36
Odd... I'm getting errors about missing APOL_wondermovie.txt and (after creating a blank wondermovie.txt) APOL_unit.txt

I followed the links in the instructions above (patch, modswapper, 1.1, 1.1->1.2), and have verified that the files are in fact missing from the zip's. Is there some step I missed?

--

Don't you hate it when you typo your username _as you register_?
Old May 7, 2002, 10:40   #168
Maajromax
Settler

Local Time: 06:36
Hm, okay -- I think it's now fixed after downloading 1.0 from the main module hosting page, then installing 1.1 and 1.2 on top of it.