Old July 17, 2001, 12:01   #1
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 13:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
c177' Who are these people at the bottom of my shoe
Hi The_Aussie_Lurker,
i like your idea with the bushels of grain, because there is a close connection between the amout of bushels and the number of population points.
Let's discuss my idea:
Every military unit has a certain value of bushels of grain, lets say 1 bushel for a phalanx, 2 for a pikeman, 4 for a musketman, or 30 for a carrier. (You dont need the bushels to create the unit, the bushels are only used to symbolize how many of your citizens will be killed in action, when the unit is destroyed)

When a unit is destroyed in combat, the city to which the unit belongs, will loose the value of bushels, reprensenting the people being killed in action, e.g. when you loose a musket-man, 4 bushels of grain are to remove from the citie's granary to which the musketman did belong.
When there is no more food in the granary, you will also loose a population point. When loosing a carrier or a battleship with a value of 30 bushels, 30 bushels are to remove.
This only happens when a military unit is destroyed, you do not loose the bushels when you disband the unit.

With this concept, you have to decide if a small city with four pop points can afford to support a battleship, because when the ship is destroyed, 30 bushels have to be removed, and the city maybe will loose a pop point.

There two weak points of this concept:
1) In earlier time when a turn represents twenty years, a bushel of grain has the same value as 20 bushels in modern time, when a turn represent 1 year.
2) This concept does not work well with planes, missiles and nukes, because a plane is destroyed, you loose only a few citizens.

I hope you understand my idea because my English is not that good
Old July 17, 2001, 12:04   #2
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 13:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sorry for opening a new thread, i did use the false button