Old July 17, 2001, 13:58   #1
Gareth Edmunson
Warlord

Local Time: 11:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If I record a brief rap regarding my views on gangs and women, can it be played during the commercial break in an upcoming broadcast?
Old July 17, 2001, 13:59   #2
Gareth Edmunson
Warlord

Dan, don't threadjack my thread
Old July 17, 2001, 14:25   #3
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 07:37
ACSR Launches
After several months of preparation on issues such as formatting, back issues and section layout/presentation, <B>Apolyton Civilization Site Radio</B> -- or <B>ACSR</B> for short -- <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/radio">has launched</A>.

The weekly broadcast, available for streaming live on demand, is available to all those who have the <A HREF="http://www.real.com/R/RC.HP0709t1.free-2.txt..R/www.real.com/player/index.html?src=010709realhome_1" TARGET="_new">RealPlayer</A> installed on their computer and have a 28.8kbps or higher Internet connection. Hosted by Dan "DanQ" Quick, each broadcast of <B>ACSR</B> delivers seven days worth of <I>Civilization</I> news as delivered in Apolyton's <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/news">News Room</A>.

As per pre-ACSR broadcasts, marketed and produced as the audio version of Apolyton's <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/newsletter">newsletter</A> (also known as "Apolyton News"), they have been temporarily taken offline.

Comments/questions etc. are welcomed by posting replies in this thread or <A HREF="mailto:dan@apolyton.net">emailing me directly</A>.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 17, 2001, 17:50   #4
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Gareth:

Only serious comments/questions etc., please.

---------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 17, 2001, 18:35   #5
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 12:37
Lose the cheesy music at the start.

Aside from that, it`s good.
Old July 17, 2001, 19:27   #6
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 04:37
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
Who says Poly doesn't have a sense of humor?

Oh,.........You mean this is real?!?

Never mind.

"ok, fine.
from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
--MarkG

and by MikeH
she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.
Old July 18, 2001, 02:19   #7
tniem
King

Local Time: 06:37
RealPlayer Error
Personally, I hate RealPlayer. I can never get it to work properly and it always gives me errors when I try to stream media.

ACSR is no exception. Whenever I click on the link I get the attached files error message. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix the problem.

My thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	realplayererror.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1098  
Old July 18, 2001, 04:25   #8
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:37
Good done Dan, but how do I save these to hard-drive, just like I did with audio newsletter, for being able to listen to it later, and 2x cheaper?
Old July 18, 2001, 15:34   #9
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Tniem:

What version of the RealPlayer are you running? You need at least G2 (equivalent of a version "6") in order to listen to the streams -- if you have it, try upgrading to the latest version (version 8).

If you get/have that and the problem still persists, try bypassing Internet Explorer through the connection process by right-clicking on the link, select "Copy Shortcut" and then in RealPlayer go to 'Open URL' under the "File" menu and paste the URL in there and then click "OK".

If after all this you still can't get the file to stream, let me know.

Solver:

Thank you for your kind words, and to you too Paul (to the latter: what do you think of the interim music?) It's good to know that the broadcasts are being listened to.

If you would like to download the file for later listening, right-click on the broadcast link (.ram) you want and select "Save Target As". From here, open up the file in Notepad and you will see to which file (.rm) it points to. You should then be able to copy and paste this URL (save 'pnm://') into your browser's 'Open' command or preferred download agent -- if you experience problems in doing so for whatever reason, let me know.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 18, 2001, 17:58   #10
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 05:37
I think that Mark and Dan should rap! Now that would be interesting...

...with a little Ming thrown in the mix of course...

yo yo yo im rappin' ming and i am da king of the poly moderatas im da spam exterminata, a killin' machine, a cold ice queen, so ya betta watch yo back cause i be layin down the smack

Poll: Could I be worse then Vanilla Ice?
Old July 18, 2001, 18:21   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Yeah, but your better than Gareth Edmundson, so dont worry
Old July 19, 2001, 01:12   #12
Ari Rahikkala
King

I still think that the best thing I've ever heard from DanQ was the Civ1 intro ...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 19, 2001, 02:06   #13
tniem
King

Local Time: 06:37
DanQ,

I had RealPlayer 8, I don't know what was wrong. It still doesn't work for me to click through but by manually typing in the address I got it to work.

Haven't finished listening to this week's report, will let you know what I fully think when I do so. But so far I like it. Will be looking forward to it weekly.
Old July 19, 2001, 07:27   #14
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Heh, this could be cool. I will have a look when I get home as this damn computer doesn't have sound capability, although it has good bandwidth (uni networked)...

DJ DanQ in the house

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 19, 2001, 09:13   #15
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

[ LightEning: ]

This file is most likely still on the server -- I will look at updating the Radio section's homepage to carry a "Misc". section and this clip would definitely be included.

I also have another feature that I'm planning for it that I hope to have posted in a couple of weeks... top secret though, stay tuned!

[ tniem: ]

Do you still have RealPlayer 8 (you said "had")? I would suspect that Internet Explorer does not know how to handle the .ram extension. Is it listed if you look at file type settings under Windows Explorer? Go to Explorer then choose 'View' --> 'Folder Options' --> 'File Types' (tab).

Let me close my latest post here by saying that I have enjoyed reading the comments in this thread, even those that weren't so serious, as it's nice to know that people are interested and/or are listening to the broadcast(s). Based on some of the discussions here I believe that adding an ACSR "FAQ" to the Radio section would be useful.

Please keep the comments coming, folks!

---------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 19, 2001, 11:34   #16
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

As for more comments. I don't see much difference between ACSR and audio newsletter, as it's pretty much the same. Just as I downloaded audio newsletters and listened to them, one can do here. I enjoyed audio-news, and did not read text news, but then I got disappointed by the big gap in audio-newsletter, and won't be downloading those May news. Listening to several month old news feels weird, but not I can come back to audio-style I guess, if the broadcasts will be in time. Keep doing the good job!
Old July 19, 2001, 12:28   #17
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Hi Solver.

[ re: difference between ACSR News and audio newsletter ]

With the exception of the name change, interim theme and "copyright" notice at the end of each broadcast, there is very little different with the notable exception that the news in ACSR News is presented in chronological order as opposed to the audio version of the newsletter which goes in a "top story" order as determined by the Apolyton staff.

[ re: disappointment with gap in audio broadcasts ]

So was I. Part of the reason was because of availability to do the broadcasts, but most of it was because of the disruption of the compliation and distribution of the newsletter. With the new format now in place, I do not anticipate any considerable gaps such as this anytime in the near future.

[ re: not listening to back programs ]

I understand your not being interested in reading older news -- the length in which a broadcast is made available in the archive but it will most likely be between 2-4 months. If/when other programs in ACSR are produced and are not so time sensitive, they should be made available 'indefinitely' once posted.

[ re: broadcasts being posted on time ]

This is directly correlated to my available free time but I am hopeful that with the exception of examination periods, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, I hope to have the broadcasts available on or by the Tuesday of the week the broadcast corresponds to.

Thanks again for your input! All -- including constructive criticism -- is welcome.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 19, 2001, 23:52   #18
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

As promised, there are two new pages in the <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/radio" TARGET="_new">Radio section</A>: an "FAQ" and a "Streaming/Downloading Help" section. Hopefully these documents will be useful in finding more information about the nature of ACSR and identify and troubleshooting any technical problems you may have with it.

If not, or you would like to post additional comments on something that has already bene discussed about ACSR but would like to raise something else, let me know!

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 20, 2001, 02:11   #19
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
hey cool... something different... good to hear some voices to attach to the name...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 20, 2001, 08:13   #20
Solver
lifer
Deity

Dan, thanks for your answers. I'll keep in touch with ACSR.
Old July 20, 2001, 12:59   #21
DaShi
Emperor

Old July 20, 2001, 13:25   #22
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

You're welcome, Solver. Thanks Rasputin and, to both of you, thanks for listening!

What's the frown for, DaShi?

---------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 20, 2001, 13:29   #23
DaShi
Emperor

Old July 20, 2001, 17:44   #24
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 04:37
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
He is sad.

"ok, fine.
from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
--MarkG

and by MikeH
she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.
Old July 20, 2001, 20:57   #25
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Back to the topic at hand...

Other comments/questions etc. on ACSR are welcomed here!

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 21, 2001, 03:18   #26
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i only have a slow connection 56K but it was ok for downlaoding the radio ... i find Realpalyer a bit slow though.. is there any other (better) software... perhpas just a straight mp3 download version... then i can lsiten to it anywhere not jsut here on pc
Old July 21, 2001, 04:21   #27
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i only have a slow connection 56K but it was ok for downlaoding the radio ... i find Realpalyer a bit slow though.. is there any other (better) software... perhpas just a straight mp3 download version... then i can lsiten to it anywhere not jsut here on pc
Old July 21, 2001, 07:37   #28
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 03:37
DaShi -
Quote:
Originally posted by ACOLKitty
He is sad.
You're going to be even sadder if you keep spamming threads with sad face smileys.

I sent you a PM. Please respond, and stop spamming these threads.
Old July 22, 2001, 09:54   #29
Gareth Edmunson
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by death_head
I think that Mark and Dan should rap! Now that would be interesting...

...with a little Ming thrown in the mix of course...

yo yo yo im rappin' ming and i am da king of the poly moderatas im da spam exterminata, a killin' machine, a cold ice queen, so ya betta watch yo back cause i be layin down the smack

Poll: Could I be worse then Vanilla Ice?
I was serious, I'd like to compose a rap for the commercial breaks. Alright, it wouldn't be about gangs or women or anything else inappropriate. I'd keep it clean.
Old July 22, 2001, 14:11   #30
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Great news! I love the radio program.

One point: Please either have different ads for the shows or have no ads in the middle of the shows.

The lead-in music is interesting.