Old July 22, 2001, 23:02   #31
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1. The news show sounds good.
2. Dan has a good radio voice but needs to work on not making mistakes.
3. Is this the same thing that caused such a ruckus with the Sidgames guy?
Old July 23, 2001, 16:36   #32
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 07:37
Hi again Gareth. If you're serious about doing it and doing something serious that is Civ-related, please email me with details of what you have in mind or even send me a sample of what you have in mind if you can.

Hey DarkCloud. Regarding your point about the news interim -- it's an incentive for people to come up with suggestions and, even more so, contributions with something to replace it with.

Hey GP... thanks for the positive comments.

Regarding the errors, there are indeed a few in every broadcast but unless they were horrible -- I hope to post some "cut audio" one of these days, hehehehe -- I leave them in to make it sound more 'natural'. Let me assure you that I don't try to make mistakes on purpose, though. No comment re: SG issue.

Please keep the comments/questions coming, folks. I enjoy reading them!

---------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 24, 2001, 10:14   #33
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
what about MP3
cant we get a mp3 version Dan , for all us who dont like Realplayer.... some people still like M$ Media player ... or other players, MP3 would let you take the news with you as you do your morning run with your latest CD Walkman ....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 24, 2001, 16:45   #34
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Hi again, Rasputin.

First, regarding Windows Media, the reason why we do not offer ACSR in this format is detailed in our Radio FAQ.

Second, regarding MP3 format availability, it has been contemplated in the past and I will look into it again to offer in the near future. It will not be a replacement for the RealAudio stream, but rather an alternate means of listening to the broadcast.

I never thought of someone listening to it on a morning run on a CD walkman before, but it's a good point to make your case.

---------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 24, 2001, 16:54   #35
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ

Hey GP... thanks for the positive comments.

Regarding the errors, there are indeed a few in every broadcast but unless they were horrible -- I hope to post some "cut audio" one of these days, hehehehe -- I leave them in to make it sound more 'natural'. Let me assure you that I don't try to make mistakes on purpose, though. No comment re: SG issue.

---------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
You really do have a nice smooth, deep voice. This is important. Look at Rush. He is making some cool cash and he has a classic "radio voice". I would push yourself a little harder to make less mistakes. When you become flawless, we can worry about making you sound natural. That is not the issue, now!

SG issue: c'mon! You gotta give me some credit for remembering that!

(Note the use of smilies!)
Old July 25, 2001, 13:12   #36
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

I'm always striving to do better, GP

Have you had the chance to listen to the most recent broadcast yet (July 15th)?

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 25, 2001, 13:35   #37
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Just listened to it.

If you want I acn give you some detailed feedback. Positive and negative.

But first...two bigger questions.

1. What kind of audience are you getting or do you want?

2. Have you corresponded with others doing internet radio to get lessons learned? WSJ had an article about internet radio and it is a trend...
Old July 25, 2001, 13:43   #38
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
perhaps the next step is then to have some live shows !!! that could be fun , with ability to have a ring in and get Dan to do a live chat show type of tihng
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 25, 2001, 19:38   #39
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

<I>If you want I acn give you some detailed feedback. Positive and negative.</I>

Certainly -- all I ask is that any negative feedback you give is constructive.

<I>1. What kind of audience are you getting or do you want?</I>

We presently do not have a difinitive method of measuring this besides the informal nature of this thread and the standard inbox. As for what we (Apolyton) want is for a large, loyal following of Civ fans with Internet access to ACSR.

<I>2. Have you corresponded with others doing internet radio to get lessons learned? WSJ had an article about internet radio and it is a trend...</I>

Negative. At present, ACSR is one show that is an audio presentation of a week's worth of "written" news. While I am hoping I may be able to start some other programs, I think it would be great if some people would be interested in running their own Civ-related show where they would be able to use the ACSR name and have it profiled on ACSR and Apolyton as a whole. If anyone has any interest or what have you, please let me know!

I'm not certain who you are reffering to by the abbreviation "WSJ", GP. Can you ellaborate?

<I>perhaps the next step is then to have some live shows !!! that could be fun , with ability to have a ring in and get Dan to do a live chat show type of tihng</I>

To do this would first require a RealAudio server to actually do the live stream (HTTP streaming does not support this).

While this could be looked into and most likely integrated, the major hurtle in what you are asking is the "ring in part". The only way to do it to avoid long distance charges and too terribly a technical setup would be to have people "ring in" over the Net but of course guests would have to have a high-speed connction to the Internet to avoid them from being cut out.

That said, Rasputin, I will look into it as it would be something that I believe would be both fun and worthwhile to do if it can be setup easily, beneficially and reasonable economically.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 26, 2001, 18:33   #40
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:37
Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
<I>If you want I acn give you some detailed feedback. Positive and negative.</I>

Certainly -- all I ask is that any negative feedback you give is constructive.

<I>1. What kind of audience are you getting or do you want?</I>

We presently do not have a difinitive method of measuring this besides the informal nature of this thread and the standard inbox. As for what we (Apolyton) want is for a large, loyal following of Civ fans with Internet access to ACSR.
Could you set a download counter on the file to see how many times people listen to it?

I liked the extra news on different games other than Civ... not that I'm thinking of buying any of them but It broadens the radio's horizons and allows us to hear other, different news.

The music "ad" interim could have different music, CTP or different Civ II music (unless of course there are forbidding copyrights)

... or... you could ask some scenario designers for the right to use their music and advertise their scenarios!
Old July 27, 2001, 07:43   #41
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 13:37
The idea is nice, but I think itīs a bit bland. I donīt know how usefull it is to hear you just recite everything we can read on the site... except for the blind civ-ers among us . And the Leonardoīs Workshop tune and intro-movie theme interlude are nice but kind of pointless.
Perhaps a little more flavour, interaction, improvisation, radio-only extras and other items beside the news ("Apolyton OT gossip", "quote of the week", "Apolyton diary"???) would improve this... But I donīt know how serious your DJ aspirations are.
I like your little sung "ACSR" at the end.
Old July 27, 2001, 12:25   #42
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I concur [/foreign advisor]
Old July 27, 2001, 14:57   #43
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Hi DarkCloud.

<I>Could you set a download counter on the file to see how many times people listen to it?</I>

I'll look into this.

<I>The music "ad" interim could have different music, CTP or different Civ II music (unless of course there are forbidding copyrights)

... or... you could ask some scenario designers for the right to use their music and advertise their scenarios!</I>

If someone would be willing to send them to me (email), I can certainly work them into the broadcasts somehow.

Hi Mercator.

<I>The idea is nice, but I think itīs a bit bland. I donīt know how usefull it is to hear you just recite everything we can read on the site... except for the blind civ-ers among us . And the Leonardoīs Workshop tune and intro-movie theme interlude are nice but kind of pointless.
Perhaps a little more flavour, interaction, improvisation, radio-only extras and other items beside the news ("Apolyton OT gossip", "quote of the week", "Apolyton diary"???) would improve this... But I donīt know how serious your DJ aspirations are.</I>

Thank you for the suggestions. ACSR -- that is, the "News" program which is ACSR's sole program at the moment -- used to be delivered as the audio version of the newsletter so that's why it's just a week's worth of Civ news being read still. I am aware of some people preferring to listen to the news as audio and an contemplating daily audio updates whereby any/all news for today, for example, would be available for listening sometime tomorrow. This would help especially "earlier in the week" news for those who want to listen to it before the end of the week.

At the moment, it is all I have time for so if someone is interested and has the time to offer assistance in implementation of some of the things you have suggested, please contact me. Some of them would most likely look at becoming totally separate segments altogether from ACSR News but something could be worked out. I am looking into the interactivity thing in a little more detail but it's not looking too promising at the moment boe able to implement but will keep apprised.

<I>I like your little sung "ACSR" at the end.</I>

Hehehehe thanks. it's essentially used as an 'audio copyright notice', as you can probably tell.

---------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 4, 2001, 19:11   #44
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Any other comments/questions etc., folks?

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS