Old July 18, 2001, 18:14   #1
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyone see the Civ3 add in the latest PCGamer zine?
In the latest PC Gamer magizine, (September 2001) there is a one page add for Civilization III. It looks kinda like the 'offical' box art. Its engraved slate with Civilization III in it without the wierd shadowy fiqures in it and flames are coming up from the bottom left corner.

Well, the main reason why I'm bringing it to everyones attention is because about 3 inches above the bottom in nice bold white letters, it says, and I quote, "COMING OCTOBER 2001"

Isn't that wierd? Didn't we all just conclude that October is some made up, date? Oh well, we'll have to see won't we?
Old July 18, 2001, 18:35   #2
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:39
Could you provide a link?
Old July 18, 2001, 21:20   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 05:39
I'd be interested in seeing a link also. . not so much to confirm the date. . as to see how someone would link to a magazine.

-theonion.com
Old July 18, 2001, 21:26   #4
TechWins
King

What I was trying to intend is if he could maybe show a picture of it, by scanning it. If he has the resources to do so. I should have used a different choice of words but I didn't, sorry.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 18, 2001, 21:56   #5
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Well i dont have a scanner... but I do have a digital camera! I mean, if I scanned it, i wouldnt even believe it cause it looks so easily photoshop makeable

However the hard part is that i'm not to knowledgeable about html and what not.... if I took the picture, how do I put it onthe boards? Can I just use that niffty attach file option? Or do I need to do something else?
Old July 18, 2001, 22:56   #6
joseph1944

Re: Anyone see the Civ3 add in the latest PCGamer zine?
Quote:
Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
In the latest PC Gamer magizine, (September 2001) there is a one page add for Civilization III. It looks kinda like the 'offical' box art. Its engraved slate with Civilization III in it without the wierd shadowy fiqures in it and flames are coming up from the bottom left corner.

Well, the main reason why I'm bringing it to everyones attention is because about 3 inches above the bottom in nice bold white letters, it says, and I quote, "COMING OCTOBER 2001"

Isn't that wierd? Didn't we all just conclude that October is some made up, date? Oh well, we'll have to see won't we?
Did you get it at the store or in the mail?

Old July 18, 2001, 23:42   #7
TechWins
King

Quote:
Can I just use that niffty attach file option?
Yeah, you would just use that.

Thank you for trying to find out how to do it.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 19, 2001, 01:42   #8
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
Can I just use that niffty attach file option? Or do I need to do something else?
Yeah do that or send it to me through the personal private messages or email it to me and I will take care of it
Old July 19, 2001, 01:55   #9
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 21:39
Several companies that allow you to pre-order the game are saying October 27, i think.
Old July 19, 2001, 02:23   #10
TechWins
King

Quote:
Several companies that allow you to pre-order the game are saying October 27, i think
Of course they are, they can get more money that way. People won't pre-order things that will becoming out in 2002. If they start pre-ordering now and keep pushing the date out on the release for the game they will have more people pre-ordering the game. It's just a simple marketing scam.
Old July 19, 2001, 02:48   #11
splangy
Prince

ohhhh ya i forgot it cant come out in 2001 becouse then they might make a ****ty game..... for the first time as if the date October cant be possible, i mean, how could we think that 5-6 preveiws, 2 magazine, and several shoping websites are wrong. Of course we all know that fraxis won't shoot for the holiday season. Everyone on this forum has cross examined what they said, then somehow read there minds and can firmly state that they will ship it 2002 NOT 2001. off course they will all make an ass of themselves when it comes in october, then i will laugh in there face becouse fraxis will make the holiday rush, who wouldn't, and off course i will be flamed by all the neigh sayers and i couldn't give a dam becouse THIS is a forum and ill say whatever the fu-ck pleases me.

Good day!
Old July 19, 2001, 03:42   #12
Alantus
Chieftain

The GoneGold website has the Civ3 expected date listed as 10-17-2001 with a comment of fingers crossed. All this means is that he talked to the publisher and they gave him a date. He might have talked to Firaxis and asked them if they could make the date but I have no way of knowing if he has done this yet or not. You can see the full chart of expected release dates and comments at http://www.gonegold.com/releases/ if your interested. GoneGold tracks the progress of damned near every game and is one of the better sources for release date information.

I hope to see the fingers crossed comment upgraded to "should be" or "on target" as the months go by but only time will tell. Quite often the games slip back weeks and months as the expected release date nears. Just the way the industry works. Its a good site and he reports the information he can collect. His sources are better than most but that doesn't mean the game won't slip back months.

In case you were interested,
Alantus
Old July 19, 2001, 04:08   #13
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 13:39
Check out the ALPHA tag on CIV III in
this section
http://www.gonegold.com/roadtogold/strategy/index.shtml

Unless they somehow do not need a BETA period ("we play the game constantly"....) draw your own conclusions....
Old July 19, 2001, 05:02   #14
Alantus
Chieftain

It will say Alpha until Firaxis announces the game is in Beta which they haven't yet. Also note that sometimes you might find conflicting information in the various sections of the website as well as it is ALOT of information to manage and the best I can tell most of it is done by one man. However I know he updated the release dates section in the past day or 2 from what he said in the daily Roll Call.

Don't feel bad, I been waiting for Wizardry 8 for years and may never get it. At least Civ3 has somebody wanting to publish it once it gets done (or possibly even before). Civ 3 will arrive soon enough IMHO, or course the sooner the better.

Alantus
Old July 19, 2001, 06:14   #15
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

I think Brigs said in an interview somewhere that CivIII would be released in Q4 2001, thus it's not strange at all that everyone seems to aim at a 4th quarter release.

Somehow everybody at this forum screams that the game won't be ready to be released in Q4 2001. WHY ? Did you guys play a beta ? nah, are any of you guys in contact with Firaxis programmers that say so ? nah.

just because one of you started to shout '2001 will be too early' everybody is doing now. I assume that if Firaxis releases the game, it will be finished.

please stop the '2001 is too early' hype.
Old July 19, 2001, 06:31   #16
LaRusso
King

i would really like to play the game ASAP. i do not know if it is early, i am actually afraid that they might postpone it till 2002.
Old July 19, 2001, 09:26   #17
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

As long as it is a good game, I don't care if they release it in October 2001 or sometime in 2002.
Old July 19, 2001, 09:43   #18
DATarbell

Next Year???
I noted (in a separate thread) that the current MGON preview includes the hope that the game will be available early next year--this, after the "previewer" has spent time face-to-face with Sid at E3.

Don't know who to believe...

Old July 19, 2001, 09:53   #19
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 11:39
In last PC gamer, there is a section :You won't see this soon (or something similar) and there is CIV III with a most likely release date of march 2002 for UK shops, that might imply a month earlier in the US.

in the same magazine on the future release list Civ III is listed as Novemeber 2001, but this was obviously not updated.
Old July 19, 2001, 10:05   #20
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:39
Adverts and interviews are usually planned well in advance of the magazine publication to avoid a mad rush to get all the articles written during the few days they have to play and review the latest games. The most current info is usually squeezed into the small 'news' sections. The PC Gamer news section certainly thinks that Civ III is not now likely to make October, as do some post-E3 reports in other media, but it is true that many other (mostly older) articles still reflect the October target date. If Civ III has been pushed back, more magazines and sites should reflect that news in the coming month. I don't think either opinion is certain enough to bet on at the moment.
Old July 19, 2001, 12:10   #21
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Photos
Ok, I took the pictures... boy those cameras eat up batteries!

Oh, whoever asked, I get my PCGamer in the mail. But I also checked a store version. Its the same....

Also, this is just me, personaly, I really like PCGamer, its one of my fav gaming zines, and although October 2001 seems a little early, i believe we'll get Civ3 either during October, or maybe a little after. Its just an add, but PCG did a preview of Civ3 a while back (maybe 3 issues back?) about Civ3. Well they had a little FYI section. I posted something about it... it was a list of current facts or something... anyway, they said the game was 50%+ done. And, again, its my opinion, but I trust PCG more than any other zine about dates, info, etc, and 50% done several months ago was pretty good. I don't know what really goes on in the Computer Gaming business, but to me, after the first 50% or so is finished, its just little things that need be done... so the end half or so is always quicker than the begining. well i'll finish my ranting... i'm sorry, please dont hate me.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ3oct01.jpg
Views:	18688
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1115  
Old July 19, 2001, 12:17   #22
death_head
Prince

Nice graphic design...
Old July 19, 2001, 13:09   #23
SerapisIV
King

What is the internet address at the bottom, www.civ3.com?

Well, this is good news, an official paid advertisement that states a release date. That's almost more reliable in my opinion then a press release because a press release is free, here Infogrames paid real money to state a release date. The graphic looks just like their webpage suspected box cover. Very good news indeed.
Old July 19, 2001, 13:59   #24
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
What is the internet address at the bottom, www.civ3.com?
Yes, thats correct. Civ3.com. Also a Firaxis logo and Infogrames.
Old July 19, 2001, 14:16   #25
tniem
King

To_Serve_Man,

Thanks for the pic. Would you mind attaching a pic of the full ad, I would like to see it.

I know that the mag is Sept 2001, but when was it printed? I mean it came out in July and it could be a couple weeks old. That would mean that Infogames that had October on their website before taking it down had already put the ad in and their information was changing. I guess we will soon find out.
Old July 19, 2001, 14:51   #26
TechWins
King

Yeah, thanks To_Serve_Man.

Tniem, I hope you're wrong but you're probably right.
Old July 19, 2001, 15:38   #27
Zealot
King

Local Time: 12:39
Quote:
http://www.gonegold.com/releases/
October: Civilization III
Publisher: Activision
Expected Date: 10/17/01
Magic 8 Ball Says: Fingers Crossed
I don't know about you, but I don't trust anything that says that Civ 3 is going to be published by Activision...

Besides, they are doing exactly the same thing we are: crossing fingers!

But think on this for a sec: Civ 1 came out first than MoO1; Civ 2 also came out first than MoO2! Shouldn't we expect something like the same time space between these two great games? Is October such an unlikely release date? After all, if Firaxis want's to release Civ 3 before MoO 3 is released, then they better hurry up, because time is not on their side!

BTW, good work To_Serve_Man!
Old July 19, 2001, 16:42   #28
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

heres the entire thing
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2099
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1123  
Old July 19, 2001, 17:53   #29
death_head
Prince

Even nicer graphic design...
Old July 19, 2001, 23:55   #30
ContradictioN

I don't know about any of you guys, but looking at that is just screaming 'official', to me