Old July 19, 2001, 11:24   #1
deathhimself
Settler

Local Time: 11:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Paratroopers
Hi there,

my question is, how can I load helicopter with troops? I create Helicopter and Paratroopers, but don't know how to load them in to the Chopper and attack a City, but the Computer seems to do this all the time. ( By the way, I'm talking about CIV2.)

Thanks
deathhimself
Old July 19, 2001, 12:51   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Woops - a slight misconception here.

Helicopters cannot carry anything (inclucing paras) they are a special unit that can move freely over all terrain (including ocean) and do not crash from lack of fuel - they very slowly degrade in total hipoints for every turn they spend outside a city or airbase. You cannot pop huts with them - they can attack anything - and be attacked by anything - very expensive unit to be blown away by a rifleman!

Paratroops are in all respects conventional ground troops - with one special attribute - if they are in a city and have not moved this turn they may 'paradrop' press the 'p' key and move your cursor around and you will find that any land square not occupied by opposing troops and within a 10 square range of their initial position shows a little 'parachute' icon - click and your paratrooper drops into that square - voila!

Enjoy your Combined Arms ...
Old July 19, 2001, 13:34   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 05:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
Helicopters ... do not crash from lack of fuel
That degradation might actually be seen as lack of fuel, considering how the unit description goes!

Quote:
Paratroops ... - if they are in a city and have not moved this turn
... could be clarified as not having expended any movement points. Case in point - a paratrooper can move along rail or be brought by ship, then jump from a city.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 19, 2001, 18:01   #4
EOL
Warlord

Quote:
Paratroops are in all respects conventional ground troops - with one special attribute - if they are in a city and have not moved this turn they may 'paradrop' press the 'p' key and move your cursor around and you will find that any land square not occupied by opposing troops and within a 10 square range of their initial position shows a little 'parachute' icon - click and your paratrooper drops into that square - voila!

Enjoy your Combined Arms ...
I don't use it, (i don't build paratroopers), but thought it might be useful to clarify whether it is considered a cheat to use the paratroopers parachute/not allowed to parachute icon, to find enemy troops/cities.
Old July 20, 2001, 06:09   #5
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 12:39
improved helicopters
I can totally sympathize with deathhimself. I tried for weeks to load paratroopers onto helicopters and planes without success.

The idea of launching a paratrooper from a city is kind of lame. I'm not sure if it's possible (probably but one never knows) but if you want to have troops riding around in helicopters, you can change the "# of holds on ship" for the helicopter/plane from 0 to maybe 4. And then take away the paradrop ability of the paratroopers. I guess you would have to be honest and only load "paratroopers" onto your planes but you could load, e.g. marines and riflemen on helicopters. I'll check this out later and see if it works...
Old July 20, 2001, 10:15   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Air units cannot carry other units. It's too bad, many scenario makers could put this to good use. Oddly, you can give the paradrop ability to other units, even ships. Imagine a cruiser dropping out of the sky, landing safely, and bombarding your inland city...

intelligence to few.
Old July 20, 2001, 12:29   #7
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
Air units cannot carry other units. It's too bad, many scenario makers could put this to good use. Oddly, you can give the paradrop ability to other units, even ships. Imagine a cruiser dropping out of the sky, landing safely, and bombarding your inland city...
What happens if you equip a transport with that ability and try to paradrop it when it's loaded
Old July 20, 2001, 13:04   #8
Marquis de Sodaq
King

I don't know - it sounds like it's time to monkey with the rules.txt file tonight...

intelligence to few.
Old July 20, 2001, 14:12   #9
The Andy-Man
Prince

Latest News:

Today Moscow was succesfully invaded by the American fleet. No less then 7 battleships paratrooped in, a transportr carrying parratrooping tanks alo parrattrooped in. And it is reported that a stealth bomber is in the area with some additional tanks and battles ships in its cargo.
Old July 20, 2001, 14:39   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Was the stealth bomber paradropped into the city with the units as cargo or was someone finally able to figure out how to make air units carry ground units as cargo?
Old July 20, 2001, 15:12   #11
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 12:39
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by The Andy-Man
Latest News:

Today Moscow was succesfully invaded by the American fleet. No less then 7 battleships paratrooped in .....
Ah, the Philadelphia experiment all over again
Old July 20, 2001, 15:47   #12
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Andy-Man, could you post details over at the Scenario League forum? To see what tinkering by scenario designers has come up with, if there are version differences, etc.

I've not been able to make airplanes carry other units - a naval unit, no less! Maybe I'm just uninformed... Did you just give the bomber a hold capacity, et voila?

intelligence to few.
Old July 20, 2001, 16:47   #13
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 13:39
Erm... Wasn´t The Andy Man´s post simply a joke, referring to the silliness of being able to paratroop ships?
Old July 20, 2001, 17:07   #14
The Andy-Man
Prince

yes, it was a joke

i thought that it waas b;atently obvious.....
Old July 20, 2001, 21:16   #15
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I could dream that some brilliant programer had finally figured out a way to do what the rest of never could. but i see your nothing more than a joker like yin26
Old July 20, 2001, 21:21   #16
The Andy-Man
Prince

you make me sound evil.
Old July 20, 2001, 21:26   #17
H Tower

your not evil, you just killed one of my dreams...
Old July 20, 2001, 23:20   #18
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
your not evil, you just killed one of my dreams...
well if thats your dream it proves all of us are truely fanatical

testing new smilies-:banned: :banned: :banned:
Old July 22, 2001, 00:49   #19
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:39
i never build helicopters any more , can any one please explai na reasonable use for them,, seems to be much cheaper attack units and much better defenders, bombers and fighters , espceially stealth are much better too as air units...

As for the carrying ability, i dont think there is a need to allow paratroopers to be carried on a plane as the whole concept of the paratrooper is that it utilises an invisible plane s part of its unit... it is not just an expensive ground unit you building here but the airsupport as well is inlcuded in the shield cost of the unit ..

One thing i would like though is the ability to fly units from one location to another, i know i can do this one at a time with citys with airports, but why not from airbases too... perhaps we shoudl be able to name the airbases and be able to fly from any one to another same as airports...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 22, 2001, 01:36   #20
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Earwicker

What happens if you equip a transport with that ability and try to paradrop it when it's loaded
Captain Nemo used this effect to simulate gliders in his scenario 'Second Front'.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old July 25, 2001, 15:26   #21
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Originally posted by splangy
it proves all of us are truely fanatical
That several people jumped right on Andy-Man's parachuting battleships does show a little over-the-edge obsessiveness. That's what attracts us to this forum. We're all that way. Note that transport ships are "invisible." Neither the paratrooper's short-range plane nor the airport's long-range plane is built or shown within the game. The long-range version can even be shot down without being seen by the players.

Case, how did Capt Nemo's "glider" thing work?
Old July 25, 2001, 20:21   #22
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
Case, how did Capt Nemo's "glider" thing work?
It was a ship with a capacity to hold 2 units and the ability to paradrop. You start the scenario with a heap of them loaded with British Commandos.

Here are its stats:
Horsa Glider, The, 2, 1.,0, 0a,1d, 1h,1f, 18,2, 4, no, 000000100100000
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon