View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the civilizations included in Civ 3?
Absolutly 4 11.11%
Completely 3 8.33%
Moslty 12 33.33%
Neutral 3 8.33%
Hardly 8 22.22%
Not Evin 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20, 2001, 04:16   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Are you satisfied with the Civs included?
Currently everything looks perfect, the only thing i'm not sure about is the Iraqis.
Old July 20, 2001, 05:44   #2
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 12:41
Who said anything about Iraqis? Based on a previous investigation (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=19238) based on the available facts, I'm just fine with what we appear to have.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old July 20, 2001, 06:14   #3
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 13:41
people please check your spelling, at least when you are writing polls....
Old July 20, 2001, 07:40   #4
Hasdrubal
Prince

Carthage's reappearance still isn't confirmed!

No Carthage = No Elephants = No Happy Hasdrubal.
Old July 20, 2001, 08:04   #5
Adm.Naismith
King

Mostly happy, hoping that during the 12 months after game release, Firaxis will release (free download from official site) another group of Civ (from 8 to 12) we can chose from for game customizing.

I know that, if game will be a success, many fan will prepare alternative Civilizations, Units, Mod, etc.

I hope that, in a effort to sustain the selling of the game, Firaxis will "pick and adopt" the most succesful customized civilization, units, scenario, to add a professional touch in graphics, debugging (tuning) and wide availability to Civ players community (giving proper credits and a gift to the original author, of course).

On a second tought, am I speaking of Firaxis doing great support by web to an already released & cashed game?
I must be drunk!
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 20, 2001, 08:22   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

I am completely satisfied that you are Poll mad!

Provided you can plug in extra custom civs witholut having to ditch one of the starting set to make room then it really doesn't matter which ones they create. Any nations of sufficient interest will eventually be available from fan sites like apolyton. They may not have a fully animated leader graphic but that is the least of our worries.
Old July 20, 2001, 09:02   #7
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I am completely satisfied that you are Poll mad!
Poll mad? And I only started 1 poll in two years... Or do you mean I reply to most of poll around here?

Quote:
Provided you can plug in extra custom civs witholut having to ditch one of the starting set to make room then it really doesn't matter which ones they create. Any nations of sufficient interest will eventually be available from fan sites like apolyton. They may not have a fully animated leader graphic but that is the least of our worries.
Seriusly, my point was that most enthusiast can tweak rules.txt, arrange some gif, chose a unique unit and playtesting for a while.

That can be the most relevant part of any alternative Civ, and a well done job is really more than simply chose a nation name and attach to any dumb copy of existing Civ...

But, as I play joke on Firaxis team, I know it usually needs a professional team to bring any amateurish add-on to the same level of original game standard. Again, it's not that a die-hard fan can't play without bell&whistle, tuning things by trial and errors, but a great game (I still prefer Civ III will be a great game, trust me ) should have a longer lifespan, just because of wide support with non-dedicated, new players.
Old July 20, 2001, 10:11   #8
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
Iraqis?

I dont like the Civs, mainly because a certain one is not included.
Old July 20, 2001, 10:42   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

We cross-posted AN. I levelled the accusation at the creator of this poll because he had two immediately next to each other when I posted. I admit the recent poll mania is by no means the fault of one person though

You have echoed exactly what I have said in the past. A successful Civ 3 will include an active "official" website (even if Firaxis farm out its support) where the best fan efforts are downloadable alongside the designers own efforts. We know that it will be possible to create new civs. We don't yet know whether it will be possible to load them into the game without sacrificing one or more of the originals though. The ideal situation for BAB maniacs and deranged scenario designers will have you able to select any of 100 playable positions from your pool of 16 original and 84 custom nations, with all of them available in a single game if you want to go mad! There will be a race to see who can produce the first EU scenario map
Old July 20, 2001, 13:01   #10
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
We know that it will be possible to create new Civs. We don't yet know whether it will be possible to load them into the game without sacrificing one or more of the originals though.
I would suspect that the number of Civs will be hard coded into the game. If you remove the American to install another Civ, you propley still have Lincoln as your Leader and the other American leaders that show up time to time and the unique units (F-15). If they don't hard code anything, then this would truly make Civ 3 one of the greatest game ever because you could change almost anything. In CTP 1 and 2 the only thing that cannot be change is the Wonder movies.

Old July 20, 2001, 13:15   #11
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 05:41
What!? No Maya? They invented the hammock, for godsakes. The Carthaginians oughta be in there too. I think the limit of 16 could result in nothing less than mild disappointment, as preferences and good candidates abound. However, any customizability will keep the civ series great.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 20, 2001, 14:35   #12
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
Incans! They built Macchu Piccu (or however you spell it)
Old July 20, 2001, 14:51   #13
Zealot
King

I'm not pleased until Portugal is included! We deserve to be in a Civ game!!!!
Old July 20, 2001, 14:52   #14
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:41
Do you possibly think that Alex14 has confused the Iraqis with the Iroquois? If so, I demand a ban for simple ridiculousness.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2001, 14:58   #15
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Do you possibly think that Alex14 has confused the Iraqis with the Iroquois? If so, I demand a ban for simple ridiculousness.
C'mon man, don't be like this... He's just a 14 year old kid. Give him some slack.
Old July 20, 2001, 15:03   #16
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:41
Eh. Iraqis. Iroquois. Big difference.

I wasn't really being serious, though. If I had been, I would've cut a lot harder.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2001, 15:06   #17
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Eh. Iraqis. Iroquois. Big difference.
I wasn't really being serious, though.
Now you're talking!
Old July 20, 2001, 15:31   #18
Zealot
King

Re: Are you satisfied with the Civs included?
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
Currently everything looks perfect, the only thing i'm not sure about is the Iraqis.
If you ment the Iroquois, they are definitively in:
http://viewer.fgnonline.com/fgn_medi...inkaboutit.jpg
Old July 20, 2001, 22:01   #19
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:41
Alex 14, don't you think this poll is a little bit too premature? We don't know all 16 civs that will be in the game. You should have waited until all 16 civs were confirmed by Firaxis.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 20, 2001, 23:24   #20
me_irate
Warlord

Local Time: 06:41
I voted mostly because i dont know if my babylonians are in or not. if so i am entirely satisfied, if not change my vote to not satisfied and slightly angry.
Old July 21, 2001, 00:20   #21
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
i never play as the babylonians, theyre the perfect bi0tch civ.

their programming makes them form small, well developed cities and a mainly defensive military.

all you have to do is be bigger than them, and have a presence nearby.

i remember one of my first games of civ (i think i was on prince), i started right near babylon, and built cities around them, keeping them from the coast.

every turn i demanded gold, and got it
Old July 21, 2001, 04:57   #22
Alex 14
Prince

damn, i must be dizzy, i mean IROQUOIS . Techwins, i think we do know most of the civs, or at least to know if we are currently satisfied with them .
Old July 21, 2001, 06:47   #23
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I am mostly satifsied with the choice of civs. The thing I have a problem with is not the civs themselves but with the number, I think there should be at least 32 civs, not 16. Other than that, it's a good selection, though I would have liked to see the Arabs and Spanish in as well.

(BTW joseph, you *can* change the wonder movies in CtP, it just isn't done because including 32 new movies in a mod makes the download so huge)
Old July 21, 2001, 09:13   #24
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I have seen the Spanish city of Salamanca on a screenshot, so I think they are in...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 21, 2001, 10:36   #25
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

As pointed out in the 'Civs included' thread, Salamanca is also an Iroquois city, so I think they're not in.
Old July 21, 2001, 13:40   #26
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
(BTW joseph, you *can* change the wonder movies in CtP, it just isn't done because including 32 new movies in a mod makes the download so huge)
Thanks for the info. I did not know that, and since Wes, you, harlan and the rest of the people who helped making the mod did not change any of movies, I thought they were hard coded.

Old July 22, 2001, 18:29   #27
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

I voted hardly, because I think Mayans or Incas should be included instead of Iroquois and still think, there should be rather 32 choices instead of 16.
Old July 23, 2001, 03:03   #28
Alex 14
Prince

Yeah, i think the option to creat your own civ is good, but it wont let you creat a custom leader will it?
Old July 23, 2001, 20:37   #29
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
Yeah, i think the option to creat your own civ is good, but it wont let you creat a custom leader will it?
Im sure it will, but unless you want to make all the leader animations on your own I dont think it will be the same...
Old July 23, 2001, 23:01   #30
JellyDonut
Prince

They should create a "generic leader" animation for custom civs if you don't create your own.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!