Old July 20, 2001, 05:09   #1
22turbo
Settler

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CPU not supported?!?!?!
Hello there, I'm new to this board. I'm not sure if this was talked about already.. I looked 60 days back... tough on a 28.8k dial up... grrr. My question is:

I recently purchased a 1.7Ghz P4 and upon installing SMAC and ACx and patching (happened before and after patching) them it starts the game, lets me pick which game I want to play, acts like it's going to load up and then crashes to a "CPU not supported, you may be able to play anyway..." then it kicks me back to the desktop.

Is this a known problem/patchable? Any help would be appreciated... I couldn't find any info about it on several SMAC pages. Thanks in advance.
Old July 20, 2001, 06:00   #2
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 14:41
28.8K dial-up connection in a 1.7 GHz-processor computer ?

I'm afraid you have to address this directly to Firaxis, as at least I can't remember seeing any kind of help for things like this around the SMAC/X sections of this site. If somebody happens to be able to resolve this problem without reverse engineering the .executable, well, I salute him/her .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 20, 2001, 06:05   #3
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:41
I believe I was the first on this forum to have this problem. All P4's have it. However, the solution is in the readme, written long before the P4 came out.

Edit the AlphaCentauri.ini file with

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Ned
Old July 20, 2001, 06:12   #4
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 14:41
Ah, that one ... I thought that you get a message that tells you that the voxel algorithm is not supported... I never got this error myself.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 20, 2001, 12:37   #5
22turbo
Settler

Local Time: 06:41
Thanks Ned
Thanks for the info Ned. It still gave me the "CPU not supported ...." but it loaded the game and I just played for about an hour with no crash. And yes, P4 1.7 with a 28.8k connection... love the country! I can't even get cable TV here let alone cable modem or DSL. Believe me, if I could get it, I'd have it! I've been looking into Satellite Internet but it's no good for gaming because there's a long initial pause (at least for real time gaming like Ultima Online). I may have to go in that direction anyway. Anyway, thanks for the info and enjoy!