Old July 20, 2001, 08:33   #1
Bluevoss
Prince

Local Time: 11:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Population Maxes in MedMod
Having a blast with Wes's mod. The question I have involves government types. I ran into a prob last night while I was a Monarchy - I hit the 10 city limit. The other types that I was able to develop - city state and theocracy, also had 10 city limits.

What is everyone's take on this? These types seem like a stepping stone to larger government types, and it would be nice if you could use them to ramp up to 15 cities. I figure that it would be easy enough to change in the files, but I just wanted to find out if there was a reason that this was done (gameplay or historic) before I did it.

In particular, I would think that City States would be like a loose federation of monarchies, allowing you a greater span of control. And a theocracy might be viewed as Spain during its expansion period, with the Church providing a basis for its "Chain of mission" settlement stratagy.

Any thoughts on this?
Old July 20, 2001, 10:17   #2
BRA_TiTaN
Settler

Local Time: 08:41
Limit od 10 city, is bad.
I didn't Also like government's system - monarchy - city state - and the other medieval ones, they be with limit of 10 cities. In great maps, that puts back a lot.
I think spill of 15-20 it would be better.
Old July 20, 2001, 12:56   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:41
Quote:
I figure that it would be easy enough to change in the files, but I just wanted to find out if there was a reason that this was done (gameplay or historic) before I did it.
Look into the MM2_govern.txt in the ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder. Search for a line like:

TooManyCitiesThreshold 1000

This is an example for Anarchy. That was your first quetion maybe you already found the answer. I don'tknow the answer of your second question. You can read the threads about the MeadMod Alpha and Beta and I would also read the threads about the MedMod for CTP1. But note you will need a lot of time to do that.

For me it wouldn't matter if this change had a reason or not. I would just do it that would be my private version of the MedPack. But it is also a challenge to cope with the conditions given by Wes. But I think it would be better to ask this question in the MedPack thread there Wes will listen to you and maybe he will explain it or modify his mod.

-Martin
Old July 20, 2001, 17:17   #4
Myrddin
Warlord

The city limits are not absolute - you can expand beyond them with a happiness penalty.

The reason they exist is to prevent you capturing the computer controlled cities too early - they force you to have periods of peace while researching more advanced government types.
Old July 27, 2001, 14:55   #5
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:41
The city limits are there to keep you from simply out-expanding the AIs and run away with the game early. Myrddin is right in his comments. Also, if you are using huge maps, you should use the Large civs version of the mod, which has higher city limits.
Old July 27, 2001, 15:22   #6
Bluevoss
Prince

Actually, I now agree with this - I'm running a democracy and am well ahead of the others, but realize that I simply cannot keep throwing cities down or killing off all the comptuer opponents. Now, I take a city and I instantly have to go on patrol, looking for cities that are now unhappy. So I think its a good thing - like you said, it provides a check against overexpansion.
Old July 27, 2001, 18:16   #7
Bluevoss
Prince

Question regarding pop (now that I'm home and have played a bit). Is there a way to stiffen the penatly for going too far? Ive got 33 cities in a democracy (30 max) and am only loosing -1 points per turn.
Old July 28, 2001, 23:59   #8
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:41
The penalty settings are located in govern.txt.