View Poll Results: Is it OK to swap cities for Trade benefits?
Yes 4 23.53%
No 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23, 2001, 14:43   #31
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 11:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yep. All it really takes is a quick breeze over f4, then a rapid scroll through the city screens to reassign resources and glance at the grain boxes AFTER YOUR TURN. I'm surprised the amount of time it took me to realise the simplicity of it all, and after a little bit of practise you can play with almost full efficiency, less the waste of time.
Old July 23, 2001, 16:00   #32
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 03:42
Priming cities doesn't take anytime if done properly.I let the destination civ know on someone else's turn.There is always someone between you and your trding partner.Unless you are playing a duel where it would be a cold day before I would be priming

3 players lets say,1 before my allie's turn.

I move, perhaps landing caravans.
player moves.
My ally moves.
my turn comes up.Prime ciites a.b and c.I move other units using w.By the time the caravans come back up,cities are ready.No worries to reset workers.

ally follows me.

I land my caravans.
He moves.
"prime cities a,b and c" while 3rd player moves.
Deliver caravans 1st.Ally resets workers while I finish my turn.1 quick "ok?" at the end and done.Then I do my resetting.

It takes some planning but if done efficiently should add no more than maybe 10 secs to a turn and if done very efficiently will add no time whatsoever.

Now if you want to deliver 10+ per turn you have limit yourself to no more than 3 different cities.Usually,more than 2 or 3 is just wasted beakers anyways.

No hurries.No worries.No boss.No phone
Old July 23, 2001, 16:18   #33
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 06:42
"It takes some planning but if done efficiently should add no more than maybe 10 secs to a turn and if done very efficiently will add no time whatsoever. "

I agree that if you don't move before/after your partner, he can have his cities primed without any delay. But if you're priming your cities after your turn has started it will add time. If it's only a couple of seconds, I really don't mind (very few people take less than 5 seconds to do it). But a few seconds for this a few seconds for other things, (like those partners that have to trade maps/techs every turn, sometimes during their turns) and other things, and those seconds add up until the game is less enjoyable.

I will admit that I do it for a few select cities, if I'm doing a lot of cities i'll ignore most of them and not worry about wasting a couple of beakers and gold because I don't want to slow the game down too much. (and it makes the most difference in rep/democ and I'm usually already set celebrating. and once the cities are done celebrating, the pop is usually high enough that the big trade square are being usedi)

RAH
I don't think you should be able to change it during your turn. It would be nice if you could change it but it wouldn't take effect till the start of the next turn. But if other people are doing it, you have to keep up.

And I would prefer that civs don't trade cities for trading purposes. And i guess by extension i think civs shouldn't trade settlers either.
Old July 23, 2001, 21:33   #34
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 03:42
Quote:
i think civs shouldn't trade settlers either
There you have it.No matter what "rule" you make someone will find a loophole.I don't think its possible to be specific enough to cover everything.

No cooperation of any kind is the only fair way to run "competive" games.Or the other extreme for arena or tribe games.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:40   #35
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
That's how I feel about intense micromanaging as well. Those that spend over half of their ultra long turns figuring out how to milk an extra trade arrow are just forcing another petty tactic on the game, thus slowing it right down. ... snip
IF you are saying that I do this during my turns then you are wrong for most of the time! I only do it during my turn if necesary and usually when I'm revolting to monitor unit support into Republic; or when I'm celebrating to max out science.

I'm sure you are referring to someone else though

I'm never bothered by slow turns. Great players like MarkE and Makeo never complain and they like to take a bit of time with their turns too; which I love cos I can micro to hell

Game quality is enhanced for me. I always saw civ as a slow wandering game - that's why I play it! But that said 90% of my turns are caravans and units moving with lag.

Maybe, Zylka, you should play AoE or something..... LOL
Old July 24, 2001, 09:00   #36
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 06:42
Smash, BINGO

When MP first came out, we exclusively played ARENA games. But we quickly learned a couple of things. The first two partners to meet had a heck of an advantage. (mostly through tech leapfrogging) And as partners, it opened up a whole new book on how to "bend" the rules. Xin Yu, Ming, MWHC, and myself exploited them to the limit. Then we decided that that was kinda defeating the spirit of the game. So we tried to figure out how to get the game back on track. Another problem with arena games was that if the first two to meet became allies, the first chance for conflict was eliminated. And early conflict was a must in our opinion.

Over the years, less cooperation became the key, and no tech trading, no unit trading, no wonder sharing, no caraportation, all were added to our rules set. The final result was "RAH" rules. I still have mixed emotions about the name for them, but they were an outgrowth of a whole group of players.

Now when I stumble around early and find a unit from another civ, I know it's attack or be attacked. (the sneak attack bonus is always fun) I've had cities destroyed within the first 10 turns. But the best thing is, since we see it frequently, no one takes it personally and swears a death vengence until the end of time. (or future games for that matter). It's part of the game and we can joke about it. But most importantly, when we play games, we don't spend precious playing time arguing over the rules, we just play. Everyone knows what to expect.

But my ramblings must come to an end.
I agree, LESS COOPERATION offers fewer chances to bend the rules.

RAH
Old July 24, 2001, 09:20   #37
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
its reaaly a shame so many are force to paly no allainces due to the inhereant bad design of the gaem in tha tit was never designed to be played MP it was jsuit an addon, in ancient days , very few alliances, but things changed in modern history and most wars conflicts are fought between groups of allies...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71