Old July 20, 2001, 22:28   #1
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 06:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bridges?
I just had an idea. What if you made a transport of movement 0, but with a large capacity? You could then put it on a ship and unload it where you wanted, and it would stay there. We could use this to create bridges or simulate the construction of briges across rivers (ocean squares) or other canals..... Just thought this might help somebody.
Old July 21, 2001, 02:12   #2
Masis
Warlord

Local Time: 11:42
Re: Bridges?
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrike
I just had an idea. What if you made a transport of movement 0, but with a large capacity? You could then put it on a ship and unload it where you wanted, and it would stay there. We could use this to create bridges or simulate the construction of briges across rivers (ocean squares) or other canals..... Just thought this might help somebody.
I was thinking of simulating the bridge Caesar built for crossing the Rhine for the forthcoming Age of Kaisar (Caesar) scenario...trouble is it would be impossible to have it 'transported' via a ship along a river!
He destroyed the bridge after barely 3 weeks across the Rhine so is it worth making it as a wonder?
Old July 21, 2001, 03:10   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:42
You could make the bridge over the Rhine the same war Captain Nemo made the German pontoon over the Don - use events to change an ocean square to land, and create a 'bridge' unit over it. Then, a few turns later have an event which changes the land square back to ocean (which in doing so destroys the Bridge unit)
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old July 21, 2001, 05:02   #4
Scott F
Prince

The bridge idea isn't really that innovative. I put it into my Turtledove Great War scenario (astute playtesters might have noticed that some of the naval mines function as transports, enabling the British (in particular ) to cross the Saint Lawrence Seaway and the English Channel.

Unfortunately, the AI is not very clever, and doesn't know how to use the "bridges." As such, the BEF in Europe remains supplied only via events.
Old July 21, 2001, 06:59   #5
Masis
Warlord

Great Idea!
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
You could make the bridge over the Rhine the same war Captain Nemo made the German pontoon over the Don - use events to change an ocean square to land, and create a 'bridge' unit over it. Then, a few turns later have an event which changes the land square back to ocean (which in doing so destroys the Bridge unit)
Will give it a shot! Attached is the map (by me) to be used for the forthcoming scenario, it will be edited still...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip gaul.zip (2.0 KB, 5 views)
Old July 21, 2001, 23:39   #6
Eternal
King

My NATOPact project has them. There's several of them. They are supported by a city that will probably be captured by you before you get to them, so that they are "destroyed" before you get to them. Then you have to use river crossing units to move over them.

Although in the first phase capture of some of these cities trigger the creation of Warsaw Pact bridges in their place.

One good example of the use of bridges is the Allied Force scenario.
Old July 21, 2001, 23:47   #7
Caspian
Prince

I was recently thinking about how a WWII Operation Market Garden scenario. I thought about the bridges in particular and how they would be represented. I came up with an idea (and please tell me if this has already been done). First of all the major rivers would be represented by ocean tiles. The bridges would be land squares with bridge units (a la Nemo). They would have 0 defence stat and start off in German hands. To capture them the allied player would have to destroy the defending units and then the bridge (there would have to be a hidden fortress on the tile too). The events file would then create a new bridge unit in that spot for the allies. Or maybe there could be some Barbarian bridges to represent the undefended ones at the start of the game, and have the antagonists racing for the bridge.

Not that I am attempting this scenario of course. I just like to sit and think about such things when I'm bored at work. It makes the time go faster
Old July 22, 2001, 01:33   #8
Eternal
King

BTW, here's an example of my bridges.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	npss3_bridges.gif
Views:	92
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1172  
Old July 22, 2001, 10:32   #9
Caspian
Prince

Wow, nice bridges Eternal. What is the name of your scenario and where can it be downloaded from?
Old July 22, 2001, 13:18   #10
Grothgar
Prince

lovely bridges
lovely bridges man. they are really amazing. And caspian we dont know when eternals scen will be released. but looking at that i hope real real real soon

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old July 22, 2001, 15:19   #11
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 05:42
Very nice looking Eternal. I especially like the look of the rivers (creeks) and the forested hills.

Just out of curiosity, what is the unit in the fortress to the soutwest of Klatovy.
Old July 22, 2001, 19:41   #12
Grothgar
Prince

you know jimmy i think its a BMP-2. is that what you think it is? eternal if that is what its supposed to be may i recommend Jimmywax's BMP-2 because its ace maybe a little large for your scale but that can be rectified. also jimmy has done a BMP-3 if thats what it is

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old July 22, 2001, 22:24   #13
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax
Just out of curiosity, what is the unit in the fortress to the soutwest of Klatovy.
I don't know what Eternal is using it for, but its a picture of the creativly named Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV) which is used by Canada, the USMC, Australia, and just about every other Western Nation

Eternal, I've said it before and I'll say it again - this scenario is looking supurb!
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old July 23, 2001, 02:00   #14
Jimmywax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Case

I don't know what Eternal is using it for, but its a picture of the creativly named Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV) which is used by Canada, the USMC, Australia, and just about every other Western Nation
That is what I was thinking it looked like, but I figured that it couldn't be since he had it on the Russian's side.
Old July 23, 2001, 02:42   #15
Eternal
King

It looks like a bunch of things. I editted it a bit to make it what it's supposed to be (I shortened it so it has 3 to a side)... A BRDM-2 recon unit.
Old July 23, 2001, 13:28   #16
Jimmywax
Prince

I don't know how to phrase this, but would you like me to make you a BRDM-2. But if you are happy with your unit you can tell me to stick it.
Old July 23, 2001, 13:31   #17
Jimmywax
Prince

Did you make the road graphics? They look very good. I haven't seen many that made a paved road look good.
Old July 23, 2001, 13:34   #18
Jimmywax
Prince

Sorry....
I suppose that someone should apologize to shadowstrike for stealing his thread.
Old July 23, 2001, 21:37   #19
Eternal
King

Jimmywax I would be happy to see any BRDM 2 units you make

And yes I made the roads.

Also, sorry. shadowstrike, you still love me right?
Old July 23, 2001, 21:47   #20
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Only if you renounce your world conquerschemes and serve me instead... (joking)

Anyhow, it was just an idle thought.... thought it might be of some use to someone else. This thread also reinforces my beleif that Scott is mearly a computer with a witty personality since it can not be humanly possible that he could juggle so many things without also having an other life.