Old July 22, 2001, 20:25   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Faces of Apolyton: Primary Polling
Please, everyone, make a list of the top5 posters you think should be interviewed for the FoA after WesW.

My list
-
1. korn456
2. yin26
3. SnowFire
4. Googlie/Hydro (double feature, SMAC celebrity authors!)
5. DarthVeda (3rd person on the boards)

-
I could compile a poll with the most common posters.
Please, in your lists, put posters who have been here at least 2 years. Otherwise, you must include me in your list
Old July 22, 2001, 20:44   #2
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:44
Re: Faces of Apolyton: Primary Polling
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
5. DarthVeda (3rd person on the boards)
Out of curiosity, what does the bold mean?
Old July 22, 2001, 21:48   #3
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:44
Does that mean he was the 3rd person to register here?
Old July 22, 2001, 22:57   #4
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:44
Sorry, but I view lists that require you to list members by length of time on the site worthless.

My list of people to interview:

EVC
Civnation 2001
Gareth Edmunson
Giancarlo
Dookie/nimrod/chasing rainbows/Infatuation

I think they would be far more interesting then your old fart concept.

Another list, of great interest might include:

AH
Laz/Bugs ****ing bunny
Supersneak
Ming
MarkG

I think these 10 would prove far more interesting then another look into the world of SMAC (which I do play, but diversity is needed)

Still another of interest would be the ACOL bunch :
MikeH
ACOL Kitty
AnnC
Walrus
Gasmaske

Well, there are more on that list, but it's a good sampling.

A broader base of people would definatly benifit us all, and make the interviews of more interest.
Old July 22, 2001, 23:39   #5
tniem
King

Local Time: 06:44
MidKnight Lament
All three SG's
Ming
yin26
Horse
Old July 23, 2001, 00:14   #6
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:44
Interview with both the Admins and all the mods would be interesting..

Perhaps an interview with LAexnaders Horse , the spam king ....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 23, 2001, 00:41   #7
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
I will interview Ming if you want. He's famous for a lot of things. OT and non-OT...
Old July 23, 2001, 04:40   #8
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:44
As almost all the suggestions here are great, and will be done sooner or later, I will jsut agree with the above, and add:

Harlan - Civ2 scenarios, CTP graphics, units, helped make CTP2 Alex scenario...
DarkCloud - Apolyton statistitian
Solver - You.
Locutus - CTP1/2 SLIC master
DanQ - co-owner

Last edited by Immortal Wombat; July 23, 2001 at 07:06.
Old July 23, 2001, 06:42   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:44
Good thread. Markos, perhaps top this instead of Velociryx ?
Well, I would also like to read reasons why you think a specific person should be interviewed.
But, Faces of Apolyton will NOT have any off-topicers, for a pretty good time, if not forever. Yes, call me a discriminator, but there are so many on-topicers to interview.
As for interview with Markos, I've spoken to him so much that I already know everything needed for the interview. Hold on, you owner !
Interview with me... this will also follow someday, and will be an example of when I don't ask a sibgle question. Prepare for 10 pages then .
I also see of interest to have Yin26 interviewed.
ACOLers - don't you see that this is called "Faces of Apolyton", not "Mugs of Apolyton, ACOL, CGN, Microsoft and Linux". Too much joking here, well.

Finally, I repeat, I don't know all of the posters, and I know no off-topicer, so please include at least one phrase motivation-description to your picks.
Old July 23, 2001, 07:52   #10
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Why, the smiley man, of course! (I really, really need to draw the tie-adjusting smiley.)
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old July 23, 2001, 08:29   #11
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Stefu, get that "cry" smilie, I like it.
Old July 23, 2001, 09:08   #12
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

It's too bad you aren't considering getting to any Off Topic posters. Many of them are just ex-civers who got bored with the game and have migrated to the OTF until civIII comes out. And while I agree this is a gaming site, and we should concentrate on the "gaming community", there are some interesting people who are now mostly OTF posters who many people would be interested to know about and who have been involved in the Apolyton Community.

Orange: set up the Apolyton Year Book
Lancer: His continuing efforts to improve peoples lives
AH: A gamer first, but a funny character with a unigue point of view where ever he posts
GP: One of the oldsters who remembers the history of this site
Sarge: Also a gamer, but well known for his antics

As far as the hard core gamers:

Yin26: His tireless efforts to make civIII a game we might enjoy
Xin Yu: His ability to disect Civ unlike anybody else... his unique strategies and his analysis of how the game works.
Eyes of Night: While many don't like him, he is one of finest civ players...
Odeo: A name that is now famous because of his discovery of the Odeo Years
SG(all numbers): There efforts to collect all the knowledge of CivII and to put them into a place for all to share. Plus, I would love to know more about this shared log on....
Old July 23, 2001, 09:27   #13
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

*ahem*

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 23, 2001, 10:02   #14
Solver
lifer
Deity

Ming,
You know my opinion about the OT very well, we had enough discussion on this in the staff room. You are modertator of the OTF, so that's an important forum to you, but you know how don't I like it. Plus, I periodically look in there, just to find that 95% threads are spam, trolls, stupidity and banality, not worth opening.
I want the interviews to show people who contributed to Civ, who are well-known players, or modmakers. That's why Velociryx's guide, WesW's Mods, Tau Ceti's Multiplaying effort make me interview them.
I didn't say I will never interview OT people, but there are surely many on-topicers to interview before, so don't expect me to get to them soon.
I have never isnulted anyone openly on these forums, but it's time to begin - for personal reasons, I will NOT interview Alexander's Horse. If the interview with him is about to be done somewhen, I don't care who makes the questions and emails them to him, but I won't do it. He's nothing but the local super-spammer. I really hope he isn't reading this, but looks like he doesn't often read anything except OTF .
Harsh opinion.
Old July 23, 2001, 10:15   #15
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
He's nothing but the local super-spammer. I really hope he isn't reading this, but looks like he doesn't often read anything except OTF .
Harsh opinion.
A very harsh opinion... and also incorrect. AH is a major poster in the civ forums and is an avid civ mp player. Yes, many of the topics he starts in the civ forums are intended to generate response... but they add to the overall on topic experience. He's one of the infamous aussie posters, and the aussie community makes up a big share of the civ forum posts.

And that's why I suggested him. He is an important member of the Apolyton community and the CivII community... and would be a funny interview. He speaks his mind... and doesn't bullsh*t around. He's been at this site forever, and is one of the better known posters.

So next time... if you want to abuse somebody who is just an OTF poster, find a better example... because AH is a gamer first
Old July 23, 2001, 10:53   #16
Solver
lifer
Deity

Most topics he generates are intended to increase his post count . Look, when Markos gave him that 2000 post decrease, man did he scream! Remember that? And finally, he has offeneded me, and I don't care why who is after that. He speaks his mind even if he doesn't quite know what is he saying, and is always ready to abuse someone.
He is an OTF poster now. He has been a gamer, like most, but now he posts in OTF. I will not change my mind about interviewing him, for a number of reasons.
Old July 23, 2001, 11:10   #17
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
He is an OTF poster now. He has been a gamer, like most, but now he posts in OTF. I will not change my mind about interviewing him, for a number of reasons.
If you have personal reasons... fine. But you accuse him of not knowing what he is saying, and you are doing the same thing. Sure he posts in the OTF... so do I, so does rah, so does Xin Yu, so does War4ever... and so do MANY MANY active members of the civ community. You make it sound as if he ONLY posts there... and that is not correct. He was an active poster in the civ forums long before many of the "spammers" moved to on topic forums when otf posts no longer counted. He was, and IS still an active Civ MP player. And yes, some of his topics are meant to inflame the standard civ thinking, but he has also started many serious on topic threads.
Granted, him and I go head to head on how things are run here, but I respect the fact that he is a gamer first, and still games. While you might think he got to Deity by spamming the OTF (like Mao did ), he probably has more ON TOPIC posts than anybody but me or MarkG.
Now you "suggested" that I may be biased because I'm one of the OTF moderators... but you forget that I also Moderate the Civ II forums. So I am in a good position to judge just who is and who isn't a ACTIVE MEMBER of the Apolyton Civ Community.

So please get your facts straight. While I'm sure he has pissed you off in the past (and many people could probably say the same), at least be fair in your comments. If your reasons are totally personal, fine... but don't say he isn't a gamer or not an active part of the on topic forums...

*I can't believe this... I'm actually supporting AH in something*
Old July 23, 2001, 12:20   #18
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:44
Solver, I think your letting your animosity cloud your judgement in regaurds to AH.

The man is interesting, and a real gamer.

Since you want gamers, and oldtimers, another list:

Jay Bee: The Spanish site's guiding light, forum moderator, scenario designer, and one of Apolyton's founding fathers, as far as posters go.

Slowwhand: Largest advocate of the "tribes" concept in civilization multi-player, and very active in the MP games.

Nemo: Creator of some of the finest and most innovative scenarios for civilization ever.

Ming: On the list again. Avid gamer, and ambassador of the game as a game, not just a pass time. Plus we know he loves to flap his gums.

Rah: So we can find out Ming's real name!
Old July 23, 2001, 12:52   #19
Solver
lifer
Deity

I trust you Ming, when it comes to judging, but if you listed 10 most active posters in the OTF, wouldn't AH be there? He would, I think. Plus, there's a big difference between posting in OTF sometimes , like one post a day, and regularily posting there. Third category is posting at the OTF never or close to never, and I belong there. My last OTF post was months ago, and I don't think my next one will come soon. But I think we'd stop discussing him now. All in all, my reasons are mostly personal, and I will not interview AH, even if he stops posting at OTF at all.
As for other off-topicers, I don't know them at all, names like Rah, Giancarlo, Sargle, Lancer, Orange, Supersneak, Bugs ****ing Bunny and others, are first time hear to me. I know all the posters in CtP and SMAC section, I know many posting in Apolyton Community forum and some from Civ 3 forums, but all those OTF name are, alas, empty sounds to me. Probably many off-topicers would saay the same about me. I view Apolyton as a site consisting of two slightly different worlds, on-topic and off-topic, that do meet, but it happens rarely.
Nemo - even though in my Civ 2 experience I played little scenarios, not really liking them, I will not be excluding scenario maker, of course.
BTW, I'm curios how many people we have that have played Civ, Civ II, CtP, CtP II and SMAC? I'm one of them then.
Rah - who is he? Don't still get that one.

And Ming, one final notice. When Civ 3 comes out, I'll take a look at how did off-topic activity change. Of course, when people register at ACS, they are gamers, as it's tough for a non-civer to find us, but I'm not as sure as you that the OTF activity will have a decrease. For some reason, the ones bored with Civ, still post here, in the OTF. When I became bored with AoE 2, I didn't post in off-topic discussions of the AoE 2 boards, I just said goodbye, and since then didn't appear there often.

And to have a fine revenge over you all, I will interview myself someday. Also as the man who has never posted in the OTF since the forum upgrade, huh.

Quote:
While I'm sure he has pissed you off in the past (and many people could probably say the same)
Isn't that a proof that he sometimes acts too harshly?

Quote:
While you might think he got to Deity by spamming the OTF (like Mao did ), he probably has more ON TOPIC posts than anybody but me or MarkG.
From my rare visits to OTF I remember Mao, yes. But, I have never been among those rating people by their post counts (even though I use it as a measure to see how often is someone at Apolyton). I also remember that AH has several thousands posts taken away, when he was banned. So, look here! AH has done things that forced the admins to use counter-measures (and Ming knows it very well, BTW, as do I). It means that he sometimes spams, not only posts for gaming issues. I am proud that I have never been banned.
Checked my post count, something about 1530. First, it means than about 1515 posts are on-topic. And, with these posts, I made a PBEM ladder in CtP and SMAC, plus broke Markos' resistance and started the Faces of Apolyton series.

This post is certainly getting too long, and I'd like to conclude with it, and close the discussion about OTF discrimination .

This thread was meant for something else.

Finally (I hope finally), thanks Chris 62 for your notes. Sure AH is interesting, otherwise he wouldn't offend me . Yes, yes, I'm shutting up and clicking the Submit Reply button. Hopefully.
Old July 23, 2001, 13:06   #20
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:44
Who died and made this guy King of the Stinkless ****?

Geez...what a tight ass.

It is a credit to this site that it has such an active OT...it means Apolyton has many facets and all are participated in. What's so bad about that?
I play an occasional MP game...but part of the double edged sword of finding this place was that I am usually way out of my league when playing the veterans.
Just because people are not as serious as you are doesn't mean they aren't contributing.
People come because of the game, but many stay because of the OT...don't bite the hand that feeds you.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old July 23, 2001, 13:16   #21
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Ming,
You know my opinion about the OT very well, we had enough discussion on this in the staff room. You are modertator of the OTF, so that's an important forum to you, but you know how don't I like it. Plus, I periodically look in there, just to find that 95% threads are spam, trolls, stupidity and banality, not worth opening.
I want the interviews to show people who contributed to Civ, who are well-known players, or modmakers. That's why Velociryx's guide, WesW's Mods, Tau Ceti's Multiplaying effort make me interview them.
I didn't say I will never interview OT people, but there are surely many on-topicers to interview before, so don't expect me to get to them soon.
I have never isnulted anyone openly on these forums, but it's time to begin - for personal reasons, I will NOT interview Alexander's Horse. If the interview with him is about to be done somewhen, I don't care who makes the questions and emails them to him, but I won't do it. He's nothing but the local super-spammer. I really hope he isn't reading this, but looks like he doesn't often read anything except OTF .
Harsh opinion.
If you are going to be in charge of the interviews, you need to be more dispassionate and insert less of your own opinions into the selection process.
Old July 23, 2001, 13:26   #22
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
As anybody who has been or is still active in the Civ forums knows... RAH IS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER!
He is one of the earliest members of this site (signed up when I did).
As a matter of fact, one of the common "rules settings" that is used by a bunch of us in civ mp games is "rah rules"...

So... he is just another civer
Old July 23, 2001, 13:42   #23
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I trust you Ming, when it comes to judging, but if you listed 10 most active posters in the OTF, wouldn't AH be there? He would, I think. Plus, there's a big difference between posting in OTF sometimes , like one post a day, and regularily posting there. Third category is posting at the OTF never or close to never, and I belong there. My last OTF post was months ago, and I don't think my next one will come soon. But I think we'd stop discussing him now. All in all, my reasons are mostly personal, and I will not interview AH, even if he stops posting at OTF at all.
As for other off-topicers, I don't know them at all, names like Rah, Giancarlo, Sargle, Lancer, Orange, Supersneak, Bugs ****ing Bunny and others, are first time hear to me. I know all the posters in CtP and SMAC section, I know many posting in Apolyton Community forum and some from Civ 3 forums, but all those OTF name are, alas, empty sounds to me. Probably many off-topicers would saay the same about me. I view Apolyton as a site consisting of two slightly different worlds, on-topic and off-topic, that do meet, but it happens rarely.
Nemo - even though in my Civ 2 experience I played little scenarios, not really liking them, I will not be excluding scenario maker, of course.
BTW, I'm curios how many people we have that have played Civ, Civ II, CtP, CtP II and SMAC? I'm one of them then.

And Ming, one final notice. When Civ 3 comes out, I'll take a look at how did off-topic activity change. Of course, when people register at ACS, they are gamers, as it's tough for a non-civer to find us, but I'm not as sure as you that the OTF activity will have a decrease. For some reason, the ones bored with Civ, still post here, in the OTF. When I became bored with AoE 2, I didn't post in off-topic discussions of the AoE 2 boards, I just said goodbye, and since then didn't appear there often.

And to have a fine revenge over you all, I will interview myself someday. Also as the man who has never posted in the OTF since the forum upgrade, huh.

Isn't that a proof that he sometimes acts too harshly?

From my rare visits to OTF I remember Mao, yes. But, I have never been among those rating people by their post counts (even though I use it as a measure to see how often is someone at Apolyton). I also remember that AH has several thousands posts taken away, when he was banned. So, look here! AH has done things that forced the admins to use counter-measures (and Ming knows it very well, BTW, as do I). It means that he sometimes spams, not only posts for gaming issues. I am proud that I have never been banned.
Checked my post count, something about 1530. First, it means than about 1515 posts are on-topic. And, with these posts, I made a PBEM ladder in CtP and SMAC, plus broke Markos' resistance and started the Faces of Apolyton series.

This post is certainly getting too long, and I'd like to conclude with it, and close the discussion about OTF discrimination .

This thread was meant for something else.

Finally (I hope finally), thanks Chris 62 for your notes. Sure AH is interesting, otherwise he wouldn't offend me . Yes, yes, I'm shutting up and clicking the Submit Reply button. Hopefully.

Solver, the OT is a substantial and important part of what makes Apolyton, Apolyton.

I've noticed in other discussions (web page design, etc.) that you expect everybody else to be like you. That's not the way things work. You need to try to understand the audience and act accordingly.
Old July 23, 2001, 13:44   #24
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

As anybody who has been or is still active in the Civ forums knows... RAH IS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER!
He is one of the earliest members of this site (signed up when I did).
As a matter of fact, one of the common "rules settings" that is used by a bunch of us in civ mp games is "rah rules"...

So... he is just another civer
And caretaker of Vito and Dolph...
Old July 23, 2001, 13:49   #25
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

I think you guys should have taken this conversation to the staff forum Anyway, ssince this is now a public matter lemme express my opinion as well. I also think you are wrong with AH, Solver. I wish there were more people like him on the forums.

Apart from this, here are a few names, mostly from the Civ2 scenario world design.

Harlan (already mentioned). The pioneer. A gentleman as well

Nemo (already mentioned). Creator of arguably the most famous Civ2 scenario ever.

Cam. Heart and soul of the scenario community. Without him the Civ2 scenario world would have not been what it is today.

Allard Hofelt. Scenario designer, CSC webmaster, discoverer of astounding Civ2 game engine tricks....

Gothmog. Go visit his homepage and see the programs this guy has created for Civ2 scenario design. If I belonged to Firaxis I would hire him.

William Keenan. No one knows more than him ToT-wise. Author of the Barbarian paper. Nuff said.

Chris62. He may be a newcomer but thanks to his interest, support and dedication the Civ2 creation world is currently experiencing another 'golden age'.

GP The man who knows more about Apolyton than anyone else. Another gentleman. He likes SD too

Ming No further explanation needed

Stefu Another old-timer. He's always in the OTF but he comes from the Scenario Creation forums where he used to contribute a lot. He liked my scens too

St. LeoEverybody knows him. Ain't that enough?

DarthVeda (already mentioned). Probably not number 3 , but most likely number 4. One of the few guys I remember from the very old Ultimate days. His enthusiasm speaks for himself.

Last edited by Jay Bee; July 23, 2001 at 13:55.
Old July 23, 2001, 14:03   #26
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Who is SOLVER?

Just checked his profile.
I've played more MP games than he has posts.
Must be one of those fringe characters.

Maybe we should find someone who can more properly reflect the Civ community. I doubt we'd find someone with a longer title, but maybe someone with a longer memory.

RAH

Dolph and Vito say "High"

Please don't take this seriously, just having a little fun.
Old July 23, 2001, 14:08   #27
Solver
lifer
Deity

More replies to this tomorrow, as I'm going to be in a hurry soon.
Jay, if there were more people like AH, in on-topic, I'd run like hell in other direction. What's good about him? Posts I've seen from him were average at best, and he is very quick at insulting people, he can insult somebody in 2 posts.
Ming, didn't expect that of you .
GP, that's my character. I don't expect everybody to be like me, but I want them. I like when people agree to me, but what earlier discussions are you talking about? I didn't much talk in threads with you previously. As you see, I do more or less care about public opinion here, I ask you whom should be interviewed, but in real life, what "everybody" thinks means nothing to me. I don't care what "everybody" thinks, does, etc., and thoughts of "everybody" won't make me change my opinion.
Old July 23, 2001, 14:33   #28
Ming
lifer
Retired

Classic response rah... it was another one of those "spit out the coffee laughing" posts

Solver, I think one real important point is being brought out in this thread.
While there is a "Apolyton" Community... it is really made up of many different groups and many different interests.

While you be very familar with the CTP and SMAC group, it is obvious that you have less knowledge of many of the other groups (who is rah... still laughing at that one for now very obvious reasons)

Personally, I know very little about the CTP, SMAC and some of the other groups.
While I know the CivIII, CivII bunch, and the OTF, I read through Jay Bee's list and there are a few people I don't know because I don't get into scenarios or the design of them...

It's key that all areas of this community are covered... because that's indeed what makes up the faces of Apolyton.

So while I know you will be making the decisions, and that you don't really care what everybody thinks... it's important that you consider people that you might not be familiar with that have been recommended by such experts as Jay Bee.
Old July 23, 2001, 15:14   #29
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Allow me to drop a suggestion in here...

If the idea of an interview with Alexander's Horse would be well-received but Solver can't face it then I'll offer my services. I'll interview the old nag.

The tone of the interview may be something of a departure from those that have gone before, but something tells me it'd be a bloody good laugh.

You up for it, Dobbin? Are the assorted Head Honchos willing to chance their arms?

Your call.
Old July 23, 2001, 15:51   #30
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

let's clarify some things.

Solver does not have absolute power on who's interviewed or not, nor does he do all the interviews(he never asked for such a thing anyway). For example the next FoA with Tau Ceti was done by Keygen. Solver is "simply" administrating the whole process of the FoA interviews. So the whole issue on whether Solver likes AH or if he has an issue with OT people is irrelevant. Therefore, let's end this here.

The Great MarkG Has Spoken
Accept my word or find yourself :banned: