Old July 23, 2001, 02:22   #1
allhailcaesar
Settler

Local Time: 11:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
playing old games after new mods
Brand new to this mod thing, downloaded med pack 2 and love it, almost like a new game, however, tried to play some old games in the middle of and their all screwed up, shopping centers and obelisks everywhere, something that looks like werewolves in the city square, nukes going off, then the losing video and score shows up. Is there anything I can do to still play these old games or should I just give up on them? I'm assuming the new mods and sprites, etc (all the downloads) are the culprit, just curious if anyone has experienced this (or know what that werewolf thing was!!) Thanks for any and all assistance!

Oh, before I forget, anyone know how to see all the sprites in the new mods?( and the ctp2 game for that matter? ) I really enjoy the "new" game. Thanks again.
Old July 23, 2001, 08:19   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:45
If you make a mod that adds advances, buildings, units, wonders et cetera to the game you will have problems to load old savegames properly. You can add conceps and city graphics without problems, but not the other stuff therefore you have to start a new game if you are running a mod like MedPack2 or ApolytonPack, because you are playing a different, better game.

-Martin
Old July 23, 2001, 09:52   #3
Der PH
Warlord

Local Time: 12:45
werewolves ???
Quote:

something that looks like werewolves in the city square,
What's going on with this werewolf thing?

In one of the txt-files (MM2_units.txt or something like that) I read about werewolves, but I never saw one in the game.
Up to now I stopped all my games in the industrial or early modern age, so do these werewolves appear after the discovery of genetic manipulation or what is all this about?
Old July 23, 2001, 11:07   #4
allhailcaesar
Settler

Have done some research last evening and found in the great library.txt werewolf is listed. Need drama advance and listed as ancient age unit????? Maybe a cheat? Also in the newsprite.txt werewolf is also there (#18) So, I have no clue!!! Are some other sprites listed there I've never seen either. Of course I'm also not good at this game, yet, Units such as worm hole borer, park ranger, (this according to the newsprite.txt) Thanks for the assistance!! As you have said I have also stopped my games before the genetic, diamond age,etc. So don't know whats waiting for me yet(also found them mentioned in the txt you've listed.) Maybe I better try to finish a game going through all the ages!!
Old July 23, 2001, 13:24   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

The werewolf sprite is a thing from Activision's Magnificent Samurai scenario (quite good btw). Its meant to be a demon or something, and doesn't really fit into a normal game.

(It will however almost certainly be used in a LotR scenario when it gets completed)
Old July 23, 2001, 16:53   #6
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If you have Med Mod 2 you probably also have installed Modswapper. If you want to continue an old game you should just run Modswapper and select "original game". You should run Modswapper every time you want to play with a different mod than the last one you played with.
Old July 23, 2001, 23:20   #7
allhailcaesar
Settler

Thanks for the assistance, the modswapper program was the way to go, games still intact. Thanks to all for the input.
Old July 24, 2001, 03:26   #8
Der PH
Warlord

LotR ?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

(It will however almost certainly be used in a LotR scenario when it gets completed)
LotR-Scenario?!
Sounds great!

Who will do this! Activision or the Apolytoners?
Old July 24, 2001, 07:25   #9
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Apolytoners, but so far, three people have started it, posted numerous messages requesting graphics and units and stuff, and I have made most of it. The trouble is, I think that to make it true to the storyline, there will need to be a huge amount of SLIC, and that will be difficult for us to do.
If you want to help, or are interested more, the stuff I've done is here. Oh yeah, and I meant to put a Middle Earth map and some elven cities there some time as well...
Old July 25, 2001, 07:31   #10
Der PH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

If you want to help, or are interested more
Well, I don't know anything about SLIC programming and don't have the time to learn this properly in the next future.
What I would be glad to do is participate in testing the scenario, when the first version is finished.
I guess, you will start a new thread, when there's something to play. I will be looking for it.
Old July 25, 2001, 16:48   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Der PH
What I would be glad to do is participate in testing the scenario, when the first version is finished.
I guess, you will start a new thread, when there's something to play. I will be looking for it.
Some time next year then, after CivIII has been written off as too easy