Old July 23, 2001, 20:44   #1
RonHiler
Warlord

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The New Alt-Civ Webmaster
Hi guys,

I'm going to post this in all the relevant Alt-Civ forums to be sure everyone concerned sees it, so my apologies in advance if you see this multiple times.

I am taking over Okay, I'm just taking over the responsibility of keeping the Alt-Civ section up to date. The first order of business will be posting the Guide Table that Only-Human put together someplace a bit more conspicuous than where it is now. If you want any changes made to that table for your game, let me know! Some of the games haven't quite finished all the items in that table.

Also, if there are other games that may fit into that table, let me know about them. They have to be TBS games, and they must be developed by a small studio and/or amatuer developers. The big guys have plenty of exposure already

Another item: The main menu. I will be removing the dead games from the list (Ancient Prophecy and perhaps Slick-6, I have to talk to the designer about the latter). I will add a section for anyone who wants it who is in the Guide Table, so if you're not there (Clash and GG&S!), you are entitled to a spot if you'd like one. The content inside consists mainly of an overview of the game, a (p)review done ages ago by Jaspreet, and a comments section. I'm open to suggestions about the inside content. At the very least, we ought to update the previews, heh.

If you need to contact me about anything in the alt-civ section, you can do so through alt@apolyton.net . You can also post a message in the Alternative Civilizations forum, which I monitor with regularity.

Don't ever be afraid to contact me about anything related to the section, no matter how small. I almost never bite

Ron Hiler
RonHiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2001, 15:07   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:46
What about the other games that are listed in the alt.civ's section; including that commercial game?

What happened to that one?
Was it ever released?
If not, are they still working on it and does it go on the table?
Old July 31, 2001, 00:47   #3
RonHiler
Warlord

Which one was the commercial one? I don't think there was one here. This section was always meant for non-commericial projects.

Ron
Old October 26, 2001, 18:41   #4
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 13:46
Ron, this is a late congrats

I saw this change quite some time ago but forum rejected my post and I didnt bother to rewrite it.

I am glad that 'one of us' so to speak has taken over. I hope this forum will in time become a real bastion of alternative civs and a wealth of support and info for new people out there.

It is a bit of a breakpoint time now I think ... with civ3 we are either going to loose the fans or get new ones. with people playing civ3 I expect donations to crumble and for example we at GGS may be forced to move our offices from Hawai to some less expensive location

but we will manage

a big hello to all fanatics out there working on civ projects!
VetLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2001, 02:57   #5
RonHiler
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
Ron, this is a late congrats

I saw this change quite some time ago but forum rejected my post and I didnt bother to rewrite it.

I am glad that 'one of us' so to speak has taken over. I hope this forum will in time become a real bastion of alternative civs and a wealth of support and info for new people out there.
Thanks Vet. Unfortunately, not all went smoothly in the transfer of power We had a great deal of trouble setting up the pages such that I could access them. After many e-mails back and forth between me, Mark & Dan, and the guy who owns/runs the server, we finally got it set up such that I could make modifications.

Or so I thought. I did manage to get that table published, which is good. But I still can't write access many of the existing files that are in subfolders. I was going to fix the menu bars, for instance, but I can't. At that point, I just gave up, totally frustrated. I just don't have time to deal with that kind of nonsense, I have my own game to program No reflection on M&D at all, they were nothing but helpful. But the person who runs the server just has no clue, or just didn't get what I meant when I told him I needed write access to the alt-civ files, or I don't know what.

For whatever reason, I would have had to e-mail him again, and request AGAIN the same thing I had already requested twice, which was write access to the Alt-Civ files, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Hmmm, sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant But anyway, that's why no further updates happened after the table went up. I tried

Quote:
It is a bit of a breakpoint time now I think ... with civ3 we are either going to loose the fans or get new ones. with people playing civ3 I expect donations to crumble and for example we at GGS may be forced to move our offices from Hawai to some less expensive location

but we will manage
Hehe. I haven't noticed a wane of interest on our board due to Civ 3. But then, the sort of people we are attracting aren't really the same audience. A few are also interested in Civ3, but most are more hard core strategy type gamers, it seems.

Anyway, how is GG&S going? You guys have been fairly quiet lately, except for the ocassional map posting. I hope everything is going well.

Ron
Old October 27, 2001, 03:18   #6
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 13:46
Quote:
Hmmm, sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant But anyway, that's why no further updates happened after the table went up. I tried
and I wonder why only human quit the job?

a suggestion, perhaps Mark & Dan can create a new folder named 'Alt-Civilizations' or 'Alternative-Civs' or some variation of the name and you can transfer the buissiness there?

Quote:
Anyway, how is GG&S going? You guys have been fairly quiet lately, except for the ocassional map posting. I hope everything is going well.
well, not at the tempo we would like but we advance

I was personaly hoping for a sharp winter so I would have to stay home and do all the coding I queued up (a lot! dont ask ) but I can still walk in shorts! damn global warming, damn them all to hell
VetLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2001, 19:41   #7
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 07:46
Hey Ron, I hope all's well with you!

I have a request... If you can get access...

I just checked out the main page for alt civs and noted that there is no link for Clash up at the top of the page. If you could remedy that absolutely criminal lack, I'd appreciate it. There is a link to clash on the about page.

Also in the matrix that shows all the alt civs and what their approaches are, our latest demo should be changed and have a link to Demo 5 .

Thanks Much,

Mark
Mark_Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2001, 02:26   #8
RonHiler
Warlord

Hey Mark,

I can access the menu on the main page, but not any of the menus in any of the sub-pages, which is why they are in such bad shape. I will put you on the main menu though. Where do you want the link to go? To your home page?

Woohoo, I also have access to the AC game matrix, since I put it up in the first place. I will change your info.

Ron
Old November 20, 2001, 17:29   #9
Mark_Everson

Thanks Ron! Yeah the Clash home page is probably the best place to send people.

Have Fun,

Mark
Old November 21, 2001, 17:43   #10
RonHiler
Warlord

I was half successful Mark. I put your link into the main menu. Make sure it's pointing to the right place.

Somehow, I seem to have lost permission to modify the subfolder that the guide is in, which is odd, since I was the one who put it up I keep getting permission denied errors when I try to publish that page, same as I get for any other subfolder page in the alt section.

I'm afraid you'll have to ask Mark or Dan to change it, it seems I can't Sorry 'bout that.

Ron
Old November 21, 2001, 21:13   #11
Mark_Everson

Thanks for trying!
Old December 19, 2001, 21:15   #12
dexter4dxm
Warlord

hey Ron, u still around?
Old December 20, 2001, 01:48   #13
RonHiler
Warlord

Yeah, I still lurk. I'm just *really* busy with MD, so I don't post here so much. But I do read most of the Alt Civ / Other games section threads. What's up?
Old December 20, 2001, 03:59   #14
dexter4dxm
Warlord

oh nothing, just haven't seen a post from u in ages, though now i understand why.

the time's going to come when i would like to have my project featured in the Alt-Civ's section like Clash and MD. not quite there yet though....
Old February 15, 2002, 20:43   #15
Mark_Everson

Change request for my email on all Alt-civ stuff
Hi Ron:

I hope all's well with you and MD!

My old email will disappear shortly. If you can, could you update any Alt-Civs pages that have an email address for me? That would be in the comparison chart of alt-civ games, and any Clash page here. I guess you'd need to mail any changes to Markos, since I'm assuming that like me you don't have access to the new server.

Anyway the new email addr is:

markeverson@comcast.net

Thanks,

Mark
Old February 27, 2002, 21:12   #16
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 11:46
This is the first I've heard of us having a site on apolyton
Quote:
Name: Manifest Destiny
Creators: R & J Cyberware
Official Page: http://www.rjcyberware.com
Type: CivII ++
Release Date: 2000
Pricing: Shareware
Demo: Available (v0.3.7; Pre-Alpha) (1.26MB)
I think it might need to be updated tho
We even have a positive review! Again tho the comments about the release several months after MGE may be a little off
Oh well. A glance at the past.