Old July 25, 2001, 08:17   #1
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Engineer commands
i have got confused with the issue of engineers and workers, are engineers still in the game or jsut settlers and workers.. Do settlers/engineers just build citys now? the workers do they build roads and irrigiate, what about pollution control cleanup.. is it possible to set each worker to just automatically clean up all pollution , a bit like the current Auto K command for settler/ewngineer in Civ 2 but more specific tasks
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 25, 2001, 08:36   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:48
All questions that Firaxis have yet to answer.

I would speculate that both the settler and the worker will have modern age graphical makeovers. The modern worker/engineer will do all the usual jobs and the modern settler will found improved cities.
Old July 25, 2001, 11:44   #3
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:48
I doubt if the worker/engineer will be much different from civ1/2 (though hopefully improved slightly)
Old July 25, 2001, 11:49   #4
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

after all this time and no anwer on these fundamental issues of civ ??? what on earth are they doing ???
Old July 25, 2001, 12:08   #5
down th' pub
Warlord

Local Time: 11:48
My understanding is the model is similar to SMAC. Settler's only build cities and (possibly?) cost 2 population, workers/engineers produce terrain improvements, build roads, farms, mines etc...
Old July 25, 2001, 12:26   #6
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

having never played SMAC i wouldnt know what to compare them too... I jsut hoping for some more control of what the workers do , in civ 2 the damn settler in auto mode would wander around aimlessley building roads/rail and irrigationg .. and not necessarily in city borders..

I want to be able to trace a line on hte map and get my settler to build road there. .or tell it to search out all pollution anywhere and tell me when its done... etc etcc
Old July 25, 2001, 14:21   #7
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 12:48
I thing i would like to see is a great improvement of the fortress feature. They should be more expensive, more valuable, and they should have more uses. What I dont wanna see is the unlimited amount of " fortresses" in ever square like in civ2.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old July 25, 2001, 15:26   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
it is confirmed that settlers cost 2 pop points, and workers only 1.

SETTLERS ONLY BUILD CITIES. NOTHING MORE.

Workers build irrigation/roads and COLONIES.

a worker building a colony is like a settler building a city... it disappears.

i have yet to see MINING in any picture... anyonme see it?
Old July 25, 2001, 15:34   #9
SerapisIV
King

It's in most of the screenshots, it looks like a black/brown blob with two short rail spurs popping out of the lower right of it.
Old July 25, 2001, 15:34   #10
Recurve
Chieftain

If fortresses are gonna be more expensive they'd better look the business as well (a man standing behind an "L" doesn't look very menacing does it)??

To pick-up on Rasputin's point, you should also be able to instruct an engineer to build a road from one city to another. Or instruct it to lay roads on a city's whole grid (like a spider spinning a web).

I want automated settlers/workers that won't bugger off to your enemy's territory and help build their infrastructure (hang the traitors).
Old July 25, 2001, 15:38   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i read somewhere that you can click and drag on squares to que up road building, eg from city to city.
Old July 26, 2001, 02:59   #12
Alex 14
Prince

Where did you see that?
Old July 26, 2001, 04:33   #13
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:48
Quote:
i read somewhere that you can click and drag on squares to que up road building, eg from city to city.
I saw that too. I think it was from an interview with somebody from Firaxis, maybe Sid.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 26, 2001, 05:59   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:48
Now that they have stacks we should be able to send a whole stack of engineers out to do one thing and have it completed in proportional time. If one engineer takes 10 turns to irrigate a square 5 engineers should do it in 2.
Old July 26, 2001, 17:46   #15
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

workers cost 1 population!
Settlers cost 2!

This won't just solve ICS, this will nigh on make the game impossible to play for both the human player *and* the computer... Firaxis just better include a good map editor so we can make good maps and not have to worry about irrigation...
Old July 26, 2001, 17:57   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Dark: you cant STOP ICS with anything short of a city-cap.

but making settlers cost 2 pop points makes it so sleezers have to WAIT a few turns before building their next sleaze city.

and the whole culture-model will really discourage ICS.

but hell, after about a month of playing, im sure i could find a way to manage a sleezing civ, weilding 100 cities, it's just a matter of time before SOMEONE figures it out.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:05   #17
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
I think that the settlers costing 2 pop points will slow down growth, but not necessarily in a bad way. however, i also don't think it will SOLVE icq.

i think the barbarian idea based on culture that was posted a few weeks ago is a REAL good idea which is also realistic.

i also think that there should be a "queue" of commands to give settlers. . if not each specific instruction, than at least guidlines so they don't get retarded while on auto . .

-theonion.com
Old July 27, 2001, 01:22   #18
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 03:48
As far as "auto-build" mode goes, it may be like SMAC (sorry, Rasputin, for making the comparison): auto-road, auto-irrigation, auto-pollution clean-up, auto- mine....

So, you'd have specialized auto-workers with thier jobs determined by a pull-down menu... That's what I'd expect.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old July 27, 2001, 01:37   #19
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
Well the things u guys said about setlers are right on as far as i have heard. Going back to talking about the setlers "bugging off"(nice line from top gun by the way), in SMAC you could tell a former unit to improve home city. I also think you could tell it to improve just a certain city. It kind of worked but didn't always build what you would have built yourself. Still it was better than all that micro management in my opinion. I just thought i would add my 2 cents in here. I assume Civ 3 will have something of this nature in it.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:43   #20
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
Well the things u guys said about setlers are right on as far as i have heard. Going back to talking about the setlers "bugging off"(nice line from top gun by the way), in SMAC you could tell a former unit to improve home city. I also think you could tell it to improve just a certain city. It kind of worked but didn't always build what you would have built yourself. Still it was better than all that micro management in my opinion. I just thought i would add my 2 cents in here. I assume Civ 3 will have something of this nature in it.
Old July 27, 2001, 11:05   #21
Recurve
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Beckdawg
It kind of worked but didn't always build what you would have built yourself.
What if you could tell the engineer what you wanted - "I'll have 15 farmland and 5 mines, please. And if you see any polluiton, jolly well clear it up"!
Old July 27, 2001, 11:27   #22
One More Turn!
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Now that they have stacks we should be able to send a whole stack of engineers out to do one thing and have it completed in proportional time. If one engineer takes 10 turns to irrigate a square 5 engineers should do it in 2.
Any ideas of whether this will be the case or not? I would like to see it implemented, maybe with limitations such as number of engineers that can be stacked.

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker