View Poll Results: What civ from Civ2 shouldn't be in Civ3?
Celts 7 9.21%
Japanesse 3 3.95%
Zulus 2 2.63%
Americans 24 31.58%
Aztecs 1 1.32%
Sioux 13 17.11%
Carthaginians 12 15.79%
Vikings 4 5.26%
Mongols 2 2.63%
Other 8 10.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26, 2001, 15:41   #31
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 04:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Wille

I just bought BG2: Throne of Bhaal yesterday and on the box it says " European version - Not for sale in North America or Canada -this game will not install on North American or Canadian systems"
Oy, now we fell off the freakin continent!
Old July 26, 2001, 15:46   #32
November Adam
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
So your denying the fact that the nation of Canada is located in the North American continent? Logically Canada is an American nation.

I already know Canada is a seprate nation
The civ Americans implies to me that it includes the cultures, and peoples of the America continent. Its like.... England. We dont have 4 Civs to for england (Britan, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) We combine the all. But those people in those areas my have a small accent diffrenece, but are not seperate nations. Thats what American civ does. It combines seperate nations in a large area together. It shouldnt.
\

Well if we were to get really technical, the game should be broken down to civs as they were, not as they are now. Canada, and the States were part of the English, French, and Spanish civilizations.

Then again the British were Angols, Saxxons, and a whole bunch of others. Crimeny Europe, was awhole hodge podge of civilizations, not at all related to the civs in the game.

Just leave it at countries ("civs"), as they are now.
Old July 26, 2001, 15:59   #33
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Local Time: 06:49
We're not getting technical. I dont think that seperating nations is very technical. We dont need to split England into Saxxons, Vikings, etc. We're spliting Canadians, United Statians, and Mexicans into new civs. All of them have done plenty in my eye to be allowed its own place as a civ if thats what were basing civs on.
Old July 26, 2001, 16:08   #34
November Adam
Prince

Just re-read the old posts, I think there is a bit of confusion. I agree with you in that there should be seperaret representaitions, just so there isn't any "hurt feelings".

I was disagreeing, that "American" implied "North American", I think "american" implies individuals from the USA. So I don't really think that in the game, "American" has to change. The game is referring to the people in the "civs", Canadian (not Canada), English (not England), French (not France), etc. I don't know what else the people who live in the States are called, but Americans.

I love forums, you can argue all you want! (My wife doesn't like arguments.)
Old July 26, 2001, 17:35   #35
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 13:49
ostrander-bellepoint and all other that voted Americans,
I'm with you, and as I know that Americans was added to Civ1 as a last minute change to be able to sell a lot in America I know, that Sid knows they are no civilization. They will anyway not remove them, as they need them to keep their sales high.

I want to state that I didn't read more then the firs post (of the pollcreator) before I voted, so your post has nothing to do with my vote.
Old July 26, 2001, 19:49   #36
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 12:49
I'm surprised to see that I'm the first one to vote for the Zulus. OK - I suppose they're a bit cool, but that doesn't make them a freakin civilzation! They were a quite primitive tribe that got in the way of Dutch and British colonistst in South Africa some while ago, nothing more. In Civ1&2 their capitol city was Zimbabwe, even though the city of Zimbabwe never belonged to the Zulus.
I think the Ethiopians or the Mali are better alternatives as an African civ.
Old July 26, 2001, 20:59   #37
me_irate
Warlord

no mongols
I guess i am the only one who voted for those pitiful mongols. They were much less a civ than any of the others listed. Thier 3 cities that "they" actually built were tiny in comparison to many of the other great cities of the world at that time. So what they spread technologies from asia. So did merchants, that doesn't mean anything. I would rather have a tribe of merchants than those "Barbarians" a civ hardly.

Oh by the way. I agree carthagians should not be in the game, however, the Phoenicians should be. They were the origional rulers of the carthagain people and back before 330 bc when alexander destroyed their capital they ruled the seas. Infact they were probley in relation to other civs of thier time the greatest seapower ever. Back prior to 330 bc. They had settled,Spain, Carthage, and many other african nations, as well as sailed as far as britain, down the coast of africa, and by many acounts possibly to etheopia. The survivors simply fled to carthage after tyre was sacked and this great city became thier capital.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:26   #38
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
I concur, America does not deserve to be in Civ 3, If Firaxis wasn't in San Fransisco, then they might not of put it in.
They aren't located in San Francisco. Direct from Firaxis.com:

Firaxis Games is located about 20 minutes from downtown Baltimore, across from the Hunt Valley stop on the Light Rail, and at Exit 20A on Route 83 North and South. Our offices are on the Penthouse of the Executive Plaza Building III, and offer a breathtaking view of the Northern Maryland countryside.
Old July 27, 2001, 03:24   #39
Kenobi
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:49
No surprise here: Americans are my vote, for the reasons provided by others above.

On Carthage and the Celts, it's true that they were snuffed out fairly early in history, but only because of Rome, which emerged as the superpower of its time. Carthage was the apex of the Phoenician culture, the principal maritime/trade society in the Mediterranean of the era. They came very close to wiping out Rome under Hannibal, and were annihilated by Rome in response. When the Romans razed the city of Carthage, they plowed the soil with salt so that nothing could ever grow there (and threaten them) again.

The Celts at one stage ruled across most of Western and Eastern Europe until a combination of the Romans and germanic tribes forced them back to the areas we call "Celtic" today.

Both civs were early and worthy adversaries of other European cultures.
Old July 28, 2001, 01:11   #40
ostrander-bellepoint
Settler

Local Time: 11:49
If one wants to be most accurate for which civs to include, he should pick civilizations based on language families. So the civs would have unglamorous names like the Indo-Europeans, the Uralics, and the Hamito-Semitics. (This is actually how I've modified the game for my personal use.)

Of course, those civilizations wouldn't have much market appeal.
Old July 28, 2001, 04:43   #41
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by November Adam
American, as it known the world around refers to the USA.
Actually in Spanish, "American" (americano) refers to "from the Americas." A citizen of the US is "North American" (norteamericano). Dont ask me why.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old July 29, 2001, 20:57   #42
November Adam
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut

Actually in Spanish, "American" (americano) refers to "from the Americas." A citizen of the US is "North American" (norteamericano). Dont ask me why.
I stand corrected, are there any other countries where this is the case? (Understanding that each language will have their own word).
Old July 29, 2001, 22:45   #43
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
1. This whole thread is a ripoff of my thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...6&pagenumber=1

Didn't anybody notice this?

2. I voted for the Aztecs. Hate those city names...
Old July 30, 2001, 02:40   #44
TechWins
King

Quote:
1. This whole thread is a ripoff of my thread:
Yeah, exactly it is a big ripoff of your thread. Serapis told me to take a poll on it, though. So I did, as you can see. I'm sorry in doing this if I offended you in anyway. I had no intention in doing that. The only difference betwee our two threads is that mine is a poll. Plus I figured your thread was going to end soon with it being so long in all in such a short period of time. By the way, thanks for creating that thread. It may have got off topic but there was a lot of good discusstion going on in it, I posted many times in it. Again sorry for that.

I'm sorry to all those people who voted for the Americans because you are jealous people.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 30, 2001, 05:54   #45
SerapisIV
King

Hey, I only randomly thought of the poll and suggested someone put it up to put numbers to endless debating. I told nobody to do anything. Any polls put up were done by people of their own free will.
Old July 30, 2001, 06:01   #46
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I'm sorry to all those people who voted for the Americans because you are jealous people.
Bitter foreigners, if they want a Civ3 without the Americans, maybe they should get a European designer to create it. Not only will the game have the Americans as a full blown civilization, but it'll be released to them months after it is in the States. Sucks to be you guys
Old July 30, 2001, 06:02   #47
TechWins
King

Ok you're right, I shouldn't say that you told me to do so. You only suggested the idea and I used that idea. Sorry about that.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 30, 2001, 06:08   #48
fittstim
Warlord

Well don't let it be said, that people aren't up to date (or alternatively thoroughly confused) about their geography.

America is not actually an entity. There are two continents with America in their name: North America and South America.

USA stands for the United States of America whereas Mexico's offical name is the United States of Mexico (USM???).

America came to signify the USA when all the European immigrants came to North America in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They really meant North America but "America" was just as descriptive a term and most of them wound up in the USA anyways.

Inhabitants of the USA have, as an adjectorial description of their nationality, the term Americans. This just confuses the matter even more.

Europeans are just as geographically confused as North Americans. Cyprus (which is a part of Asia) is seeking membership into the "European Union". And every year, both Israel and Cyprus take part in the Eurovision Song Contest.

There is not a single person in the department where I work (Natural Geography Institution) that knows that North America includes all of Latin America (which is NOT a continent) down to Panama and all of the Carribean Islands. These, my friends, are all a part of "North America".

Can't change the continents just because most people are [edited]...

I say out with the Sioux. They never build an empire and they are so easy to manipulate.
Old July 30, 2001, 06:13   #49
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I voted the Japanese out. Why I don't know exactly, but I felt it had to either the Japanese or the Americans. I just took the one I wanted most away... Good reason? I don't think so...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old July 30, 2001, 06:19   #50
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Ok you're right, I shouldn't say that you told me to do so. You only suggested the idea and I used that idea. Sorry about that.
That's alright, I only griped because I've been up working too long and am getting cranky. Need something to get my interest, so I overreact for the hell of it.
Old July 30, 2001, 06:25   #51
SerapisIV
King

That and still bitter over my Apol4Elvis failure. Damn you MarkG
Old July 30, 2001, 08:08   #52
Trdi
Chieftain

I would like to see an official answer to this pole by firaxis (30,77% for Americans). They exist few centuries only and are not really the civilisation. Why aren't we, the Slovenian in the Civ 3? We had our own country in .... eee... I think in the 7th century. Well, why?
Old July 30, 2001, 08:18   #53
Recurve
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:49
I would like to see the Americans stay, purely because I enjoy conquering them so much (who doesn't)?

The Japanese got my vote. Their empire was a complete failure, and the ablity to make good electrical products over a 50 year period doesn't really qualify you as a great civilisation.
Old July 30, 2001, 08:44   #54
Trdi
Chieftain

You can't really be serious? How can you compare Americans and Japanese?! Their culture is huge.
Old July 30, 2001, 08:56   #55
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trdi
I would like to see an official answer to this pole by firaxis (30,77% for Americans). They exist few centuries only and are not really the civilisation. Why aren't we, the Slovenian in the Civ 3? We had our own country in .... eee... I think in the 7th century. Well, why?
well trdi, you are independent for about say 10 years. i reckon americans separated a bit earlier...
Old July 30, 2001, 09:10   #56
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 20:49
I voted to get rid of America because of all those listed it seemed the strangest to start with in 4000 BCE. I agree with [insert name here] that more choice is better. CTP had lots of civilisations to choose from and I'd like to see that in Civ3. To tell the truth, though, I never choose nations with short histories to play in Civ games. It doesn't feel right. I'd like to see countries like the US and Canada be included as breakaway nations but that's already been forummed to death somewhere else.
Old July 30, 2001, 09:15   #57
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:

Jealous of what?
I'd like to see the Americans stay though, and I'm 100% sure they will.

BTW: I voted Zulus, and I want the Sioux out too.
Old July 30, 2001, 09:21   #58
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by November Adam
I stand corrected, are there any other countries where this is the case? (Understanding that each language will have their own word).
In Portugal we also call the US americans "americanos". Sometimes we also call them specifically "norte-americanos", but that depends on the person...

I voted for Vikings. Their cultural influence wasn't as big as the portuguese on the world. That's why portugal should be IN Civ 3.
Old July 30, 2001, 09:38   #59
Trdi
Chieftain

LaRusso, Larusso. Have you ever heard about Karantanija, our country which was on the same area as today Slovenija, just bigger? This was the fisrt Slovenian country and it existed hm... i really can't remember, but I think Samo lived in the 7th century. And USA?????!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 30, 2001, 09:49   #60
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trdi
LaRusso, Larusso. Have you ever heard about Karantanija, our country which was on the same area as today Slovenija, just bigger? This was the fisrt Slovenian country and it existed hm... i really can't remember, but I think Samo lived in the 7th century. And USA?????!!!!!!!!!!
trdi trdi
yes i have heard of samo and the 'chair' in the field. now, you were conquered and remained subjects of Austria, then K&K for over 1,000 years. Then part of Yugoslavia one way or another for 70 years. Then 10 years of independence.
You really do not cound Samo people walking around with maces as a proper state? Sorry, but 200 years of American history are a real thrill in comparison with 1000 years of being Austrian subjects.