Old July 26, 2001, 02:16   #1
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nuclear Meltdown
Is there a way to have this happen on cue.I have an idea that would start with a Chernobyl type thing.

Can I make pollution with events or such?Is it controllable?I could do new terrain but would rather not

Basically,I want to start with the meltdown and then a bunch of pollution.
Old July 26, 2001, 02:51   #2
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
I did just that in my Millenium 004 scenario. You can download it here: http://members.nbci.com/kull1/scenarios/mil4/index.htm
Old July 26, 2001, 06:09   #3
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
techumseh,

So glad that someone is an expert on the subject.

Is it true that you can't have meltdown when polution is turned off. I tried to induce it by having continuous civil unrest in all my cities which had a nuclear plant (and I disabled the fusion tech) but after 10 tunrs of 20 cities - still no meltdown.

Can you just explain here how you did it (pretty please - so I don't have to look through your scenario line by line)
Old July 26, 2001, 12:21   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 12:50
You could place barbarian nukes besides all cities and units to have meltdown, just make sure no one moves before the barbarians... or make sure no one can attack them.

I think using the objectives system might also prevent meltdown but i am not sure about this..
Old July 26, 2001, 14:07   #5
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
There are a couple of ways that I'm aware of. In Mill004, I placed one or more cities of each civ in civil disorder at the start of the scenario, and put nuke plants in them as well. When you start the game, at least one of your cities goes into disorder before you can fix it, and bam! Please note that this only works with the human controlled civ. AI controlled civs do not suffer nuclear meltdowns even if their cities go into disorder. I don't know about meltdowns with the pollution turned off.

You can have the AI make a nuclear attack against an AI controlled city, as Hendrik suggests. In the same scenario, events were used to place barbarian nukes near certain cities if certain triggers were activated. I got good results by making the barbarian nukes ground units with the alpine and ignore ZOC flags. Of course, they don't always get through.

Kobyashi, as a sci-fi fan and scenario designer, you might want to look at Millennium 004. It won the "most innovative" award in the 2nd Scenario Design Contest and was second overall. It was too far out to be very popular, but there's stuff in there that's never been tried before (or since).
Old July 26, 2001, 20:09   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:50
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
Is it true that you can't have meltdown when polution is turned off.
The last time I played my scenario 'Raging Dragon', I got a nuclear meltdown even though polution is turned off.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old July 26, 2001, 20:54   #7
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
Ok...I have some things to do.
How bout pollution?.I was thinking of 1 new terrain type and some terrain changing events but that's a tad tedious.And what if units are on the squares?Will the terrain still change in my locations?Will the units survive?
Old July 27, 2001, 11:00   #8
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
Kobyashi, as a sci-fi fan and scenario designer, you might want to look at Millennium 004. It won the "most innovative" award in the 2nd Scenario Design Contest and was second overall. It was too far out to be very popular, but there's stuff in there that's never been tried before (or since).
I am downloading it now - but look at the size of the download files, thank god for broadband. Maybe I'll do a review of it when I'm done.
Old July 27, 2001, 12:38   #9
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 12:50
Re: Nuclear Meltdown
Quote:
Originally posted by Smash

Can I make pollution with events or such?Is it controllable?
for all that i know, no... the only thing you can low down is nuclear pollution, by reduce ICBM attack power for 99 up to 80 ( 79 is top limit AP for conventional weapons and troops ). HTHY.