Old July 27, 2001, 19:08   #61
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yin, I am renouncing my membership to your club. I have now started my own club that I call The Critically Literal Optimist Association. If anybody wants to join that club that isn't already in a club you're are welcome to do so.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 27, 2001, 19:23   #62
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 06:51
Goodbye TechWins, we'll leave the door open for you if you ever decide to come back.
i tried to copy all the dialogue from the chat so that i could read it again later, but maxis' chatrooms don't allow you to copy what people say in the chat rooms. i guess i should have tried screen captures but i was trying to spam civ3 questions and still read what sid was saying at the same time. one of the questions i did copy down from the chat room before sid came in is posted in my signature!
Old July 27, 2001, 19:25   #63
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:51
Well, that's too bad. I would like to tell you, though, that Markos is the one who gave me the tag of pessimist. As my vision statement says, I am a critical optimist. But as long as we are all posting constructively in order to help Civ 3, it shouldn't matter what club we are in I suppose. I wish you good luck with your club.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 27, 2001, 19:26   #64
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:51
Thanks for the offer H Tower.

When was that chatting thing going on? I remember hearing about it but I forgot to go to it. How long was it? What were some of the civ questions answered?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old July 27, 2001, 19:34   #65
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Hmmm, I guess I am a pessimist, but one who will ALSO offer great praise where warranted. Take a look at the update I made to this thread's original post:

Definition of PESSIMISM:

1 : an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome. Now if you do that in order to help KEEP THE WORST from happening, then you are a big help of the game in my opinion. Add to that we WILL offer praise when we see stuff we like, and you can understand we are not empty bashers but concerned fans.

Old July 27, 2001, 20:35   #66
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Sim Golf Chat
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Thanks for the offer H Tower.

When was that chatting thing going on? I remember hearing about it but I forgot to go to it. How long was it? What were some of the civ questions answered?
Thursday 5:00pm CST(US)
~45minutes
none
Old July 27, 2001, 22:04   #67
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

Wish I could have been there
Well I wish I could have been there. I didn't even know about the chat until today. I'm suprised that someone doesn't have a transcript of the chat.

I hope that this news that MarkG says is coming tommorow is good. Or else Friaxis has't seen a roudy crowd here yet. I just wish they whould put as much PR into civ3 as they have been doing into SidGolf(ridiculous idea, thanks yin )
Old July 27, 2001, 22:10   #68
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:51
Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
Well if we're going to war i better sober up even more. And speaking as a member i don't feel we should be vader cuz he got killed. If we want to be really evil we should be the church of scientology. Them buggers are down right devils . Vader isn't anything compared to them.
Old July 27, 2001, 22:26   #69
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
also it seems to me that all these other so called "clubs" are coping us!!!! I don't recall any of them starting their own club before yesterday when our great leader yin did. I SAY WE NUKE UM!.....do we have nukes? if so I SAY WE NUKE UM! If we can't nuke them then send in dubya, the backstreet boys, and *nsync. If that doesn't make them pessimistic then i dunno what will. We gotta be ruthless here. If we don't stop um now there will be 30 upstart clubs by tomorrow. And they should know by now that the good guys never win in real life. Castro, bin ladin and, Saddam are all still alive. We just have to be willing to do some really crazy stuff. and remember... THEY CAN TAKE OUR LIVES..... BUT THEY CAN NEVER TAKE OUR PESSIMISTIC WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 27, 2001, 23:29   #70
lord of the mark
Deity

ineligible?
Since my pessimism is limited essentialy to one SPECIFIC issue, I dont qualify for this club do I ?

LOTM
Old July 27, 2001, 23:34   #71
Beckdawg
Chieftain

lord of the mark sure u can be(assuming our great leader yin agree's). If u feel the least bit pessimitic go for it. WE MUST CRUSH THE OPTIMISTS AND REALISTS! Though we maybe the vader of the groups they are the really evil ones! THEY WANTED TO PUT A CIRCLE WITH A LINE THROUGH OUR LEADER YIN'S AVATAR. YOU BASTARDS! lol THAT IS TOOOOO FAR
Old July 28, 2001, 00:38   #72
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

O.K. troops, let's hold the line! I say we let these other groups run around and make noise for a few days. That will speak for itself. Let us NOT make spam threads. I keep thinking of a great quote: "Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person." LOL! Ah, anyway, it's all in good fun to generate discussion.

However, LOTM, you should join. Why? Your arguments are lucid and helpful. The point of this club is NOT to hurt Civ, but to help it. You'd make a perfect member, I think.

Old July 28, 2001, 00:41   #73
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
O.K. troops, let's hold the line!
Sorry boss lol i just got an itchy trigger finger I still say we nuke um. Nukes solve all problems. No bad guys no problems. Stalin said somethin like that. I figured i would quote a great evil person since we are supposed to be the bad guys
Old July 28, 2001, 01:56   #74
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 21:51
Yin, I like to join the club.

Especially after reading the new Mier interview on CVG, and seeing Meir say "......the most detailed and beautiful art ever......"
Old July 28, 2001, 03:58   #75
H Tower

Yin: Would it be possible to post the new members list? the realists (or is it the optimists?) say they are the biggest with 17 members. I think that we have already passed that mark. i guess the realists were that realistic after all lol anyways, i have to take a little time off from the civ3 forum, i spent ALL day here and i'm supposed to be play testing a scenario, i'll be around but not as much. pm me if something really important happens about the club
Old July 28, 2001, 04:02   #76
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Zanzin: Welcome! I was afraid to even look at the chat. Please don't tell me he said that. Let's unite in pessimism!

H Tower: The list is updated as each member comes. Just see the first post of this thread. Good luck with the testing. I'll PM if anything positive happens (as in, go and relax a while).

Old July 28, 2001, 10:12   #77
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

"Size Matters Not"
Just in case the "realists" and the "optimists" get hyped up on the size of thier clubs, remeber this "Judge me, by my size?. No and it is well you should not for the force is my ally and a powerful ally it is."

On another note, was there anything intersting said related to SidGolf during the Chat? Like a realease date?

waiting on the news....
Old July 28, 2001, 12:09   #78
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:51
I suppose I will join... I won't be able to play the game anyway
PENTIUM III! No one needs more than a Pentium I to run windows fairly fast- and Windows 95 can be run on a 486!

Also, I was looking at an old issue of Computer Gaming World and compared Civ III pictures with CTP pictures... They looked remarkably alike- and I hated how CTP looked too bland and that their units looked crummy. Civ should just use the Civ II or Civ I style units... 3D units look worse than the 2D units. In fact the 3D units look "LESS" detailed!

I don't play games that look bad- (example: Any 3D adventure game, Alpha Centauri) these games look to dull AC or too complicated and ugly because of it 3D adventure game and most of the new sports games.
Old July 28, 2001, 19:32   #79
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
...the most detailed and beautiful art ever...
Sit down and pray that's taken out of context...
Old July 28, 2001, 21:24   #80
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Welcome, Darkcloud! I share your thoughts. In fact, I think this represents a graphical step BACK. Post on!

Old July 28, 2001, 21:56   #81
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'd like to join with this motto: "If you expect the worse it can only get better".
Old July 28, 2001, 22:03   #82
Beckdawg
Chieftain

hey boss now is the time to attack! lol. There leader(of the realists) is out for the weekend. Caesar used this move to perfection divide and couquer. LETS NUKE UM!.... damn i think i am a lot like Saddam(assuming he had nukes) when i am sober lol. Oh well i can't go to war right now cuz i would fall asleep. 45 hour work weeks "reek worse than my nuts do" as the goat from adam sandlers tapes would say and i have had to work 15 or the last 16 days. well i am gonna pass out now peace for now. BUT I SHALL RETURN NUKES IN HAND.... AND REALISTS DEAD!
Old July 29, 2001, 03:52   #83
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Beckdawg: Don't worry, loyal drunkard! We shall prevail without nukes. We shall prevail with something far harder to create in a lab: Common sense and civility.

Welcome to UberKruX and Simpleton! I very much look forward to you guys helping us improve Civ3 by not buying the hype and offering criticism that could, if we are lucky, help Firaxis think about some things again.

Old July 29, 2001, 09:32   #84
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i come to serve.
--Elvin Archer from BLIZZARD'S Warcraft 2