Old July 27, 2001, 13:50   #1
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
network node and alien artifact
If there any indicator on the a base screen that informs you whether its network node (if any) has already been connected to an artifact?
Old July 27, 2001, 13:54   #2
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

In the upper right hand corner of your base screen where all your facilities are listed there should be a (linked with artifact) or maybe just (linked) next to the listing for the network node.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 27, 2001, 13:58   #3
Sprayber
Emperor

i just checked. it just says (linked).
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 27, 2001, 14:32   #4
Nadexander
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
Re: network node and alien artifact
Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
If there any indicator on the a base screen that informs you whether its network node (if any) has already been connected to an artifact?
Also if you use the go to city command when an alien artifact is selected and it will have an "(unlinked node)" next to cities with unlinked nodes.
Old July 27, 2001, 17:40   #5
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

I do not have any "linked" notation by network nodes in my bases facilities list, either with smax w 2.0 patch, or smac with no patch. Would one of my preference settings affect this? I have detailed menus selected. Is there some patch beside the official ones?
Old July 27, 2001, 19:30   #6
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The go to with atifact works, but I can find any linked in the base screen.
Old July 28, 2001, 00:25   #7
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
I do not have any "linked" notation by network nodes in my bases facilities list, either with smax w 2.0 patch, or smac with no patch. Would one of my preference settings affect this? I have detailed menus selected. Is there some patch beside the official ones?
I have all the patches and it should work. Here is where it should be. Anyone else know what the problem could be?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	node.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1285  
Old July 28, 2001, 12:09   #8
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

MY base screens do not show that. Must be either a game setting or maybe a screen resolution setting. Should not be the latter, since smax is machine with a high resolution 19" monitor. I will try monkying around with some settings. May be some obscure non intuitive setting in the warning preferences.
Thanks guys.
Old July 28, 2001, 12:13   #9
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

One possibility on my samx computor, I have applied the smax patch, which I assumed to coverboth games in the same directory, but not the smac patch (and I do not play smac on this machine). Should I have installed both patches?
Old July 28, 2001, 14:05   #10
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 04:52
No, it totally doesn't matter which patch you have, if any. Both SMAC and SMACX should show "network node (linked)" on the base screen regardless.

Lefty, I have never seen or heard of the problem you are describing.
Old July 28, 2001, 14:46   #11
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:52
I'm sorry, but I too do not have and have never seen "linked" next to a Network Node in the base screen. I also do not believe this is a settable option from any menu. It rather appears to be differences in the game.

I am running the Alien Crossfire Expansion Pack with the v.2 patch. US. Windows ME.

Ned
Old July 28, 2001, 14:48   #12
Ken Hinds
Prince

I've got SMAC with the 4.0 patch installed (all the nice new event pictures, new landmarks, etc.) but I don't get the "(linked)" indicator in either new games started since the patch was installed or in any of the older ones started under 1.0. Is this feature possibly from a SMAX patch or the original expansion disk install?

I have not installed any of the crossfire patches since I didn't think that I could change from regular AC to Crossfire just by installing a patch file. Does installing the Crossfire patches update the regular game files also even without the expansion pack installed?

Lefty, right now the only way that I know of to tell that you have linked an artifact with the node is to move the artifact to the city and wait one turn before trying to link the artifact. After that you will not get the option to link to the node if the node is already linked. You always seem to get the option upon the initial arrival of the artifact, but then the voice message plays with the pop-up box telling you to take it to an unlinked node.

Ken
Old July 28, 2001, 16:11   #13
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
I also don't get the "linked" behind my nodes in the base screen.
Old July 28, 2001, 16:53   #14
Darius
Prince

It depends on the screen resolution. To test this, I just opened the same turn in 800x600 and 1024x768. With the 800x600 resolution, I got the "linked" indicator. With the 1024x768 resolution, I did not. I suspect it has to do with subtle differences in the screen layouts and font sizes.

Note that if you use the "Video Mode" command in the Alpha.ini file, it will override the resolution you have set for Windows.

Darius
Old July 28, 2001, 18:09   #15
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

That an ass backwards quirk: more resolution you get less info.
Old July 28, 2001, 18:17   #16
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Darius
It depends on the screen resolution. To test this, I just opened the same turn in 800x600 and 1024x768. With the 800x600 resolution, I got the "linked" indicator. With the 1024x768 resolution, I did not. I suspect it has to do with subtle differences in the screen layouts and font sizes.

Note that if you use the "Video Mode" command in the Alpha.ini file, it will override the resolution you have set for Windows.

Darius
Thanks, I was really puzzled why I don't see it. But I'
m not changing my great resolution for SMAC!
Old July 29, 2001, 09:32   #17
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I have adjusted alpha.ini before, but can't find the help for it again, yet.

What is the help file for it, or alternatively, what is the syntax for the "video-mode" line. Since it fills the screen anyway, it shouldn't make any difference in one's real resoulution, right?

Using 800x600 should just give us more info. I'll be curious to see if anything else changes.
Old July 29, 2001, 10:07   #18
Darius
Prince

Sorry, the name of the file is actually "Alpha Centauri.ini". The syntax is "Video Mode = 1024" or "Video Mode = 800". This sets the resolution for the game, overriding the Windows resolution setting.

If you reduce the resolution to the 800 setting, the result is that you will see a much smaller portion of the map. I find it difficult to play that way, so I use the 1024 setting even though I don't get the "linked" indication.

There are a few other subtle differences in the screen layouts under different resolution settings. I forget exactly what it was now, but when I was new and using the 800 resolution, there was something I couldn't find, but it was there on the 1024 setting.

Darius
Old July 29, 2001, 10:12   #19
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Thanks Darius!

Yes at 800 it would be smaller, but then you could just zoom to get to where you like the resolution anyway, right?
Old July 29, 2001, 10:31   #20
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Ah, you're right. I think I will live with 1024x768

The map can be made right, with XX, but it is a bit smaller 'cause the none map displays at the bottom are bigger.

But I don't like the info screens. For example, you can only see 4 units in a base without scrolling instead of 7 or 8?? with 1024.

Ah well, I'll try the "goto" command, and just remember which bases have been linked.

Thanks anyway.

bc