Old August 31, 2001, 07:54   #61
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks! Must have been a great one. Which year was it released?
Old August 31, 2001, 11:13   #62
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
Anyone play the Commander Keen games? I had a lot of fun figuring out all the puzzles, especially the really tricky ones with hidden gems and such.... (I was really small then though, and my keyboard skills weere horrible)
Old August 31, 2001, 23:31   #63
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:53
My Favs
All the Space Quest series

All the Kings Quest Series

All the Leisure Suit Larry Series...

(obviously a big Sierra Fan)

Marooned was my fav text adventure game.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 1, 2001, 22:52   #64
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera
Thanks! Must have been a great one. Which year was it released?
1989. A description of the game is here:
[URL=http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?name=Sword+of+Aragon[/URL]
You can even download the game.
Old September 2, 2001, 08:40   #65
Fiera
Emperor

Thanks, Comrade!
Old September 5, 2001, 20:48   #66
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 04:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera
I . . . also bought Wing Commander Privateer, which had a very interesting plot too, but I never got to finish it. Could anyone tell me what happened in the end?
I dunno. I never got to the end. I could never get in to see the commander of the naval base, and I'll bet (s)he had an important piece of equipment. I managed to discover a new portion of the galaxy at the top, center of the map, but I couldn't reach the final system because of a lack of fuel.

By the way: the best DOS game of all time was an EGA game called "Sentinel Worlds I; Future Magic."

You commanded a five-person gunship dropped into a three-planet solar system to put an end to pirate raids. You could land anywhere on the three planets and explore. There were tunnels, towers, towns, villages, and even a sub ride to an underground volcano. You could talk to people. You could board enemy spaceships and pillage them as the auto-destruct systems ticked away. Once you found the ancient Sentinel race, they gave you "magical" powers.

Finally, you learned the location of the invisible space station, boarded it, battled your way through hundreds of powerfully armed raiders, engaged and defeated their leader in psychic combat and then tried to make it out of the space station before it self destructed.

Electronic Arts never made a Sentinel Worlds II.
Old September 6, 2001, 17:21   #67
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
You commanded a five-person gunship dropped into a three-planet solar system to put an end to pirate raids. You could land anywhere on the three planets and explore. There were tunnels, towers, towns, villages, and even a sub ride to an underground volcano. You could talk to people. You could board enemy spaceships and pillage them as the auto-destruct systems ticked away. Once you found the ancient Sentinel race, they gave you "magical" powers.

Finally, you learned the location of the invisible space station, boarded it, battled your way through hundreds of powerfully armed raiders, engaged and defeated their leader in psychic combat and then tried to make it out of the space station before it self destructed.
:
Sounds great. I also didnīt make it to the end of Privateer. I got an alien artifact, but unfortunately never found out what to do with it. Btw, 'Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday' had a beginning with incredible atmosphere. Your crew boarded an enemy research ship full of corpses and alien beings. You had to find out what happened to the researchers, all the while being attacked by groups of really nasty aliens. There was also a dangerous virus aboard, and soon Your crew members got sick, one after the other, and died.
I think I played this one ten times, before I made it to the autolab, solved the puzzles to heal my crew, defeated all the monsters and got the ship going again.
Old September 7, 2001, 11:51   #68
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
How about:
- Dognapped - Your dog has been kidnapped by aliens. Each level is a different room, with you on one end, your dog on the other you have to move mirrors (to reflect lasers), roll balls, move boxes etc. to get to him and get back out.
- Test Drive - I only played two of them, canīt remember which numbers though. One was a grand prix type game, the other you drove on a road between a cliff and a mountainside.
- Mother Goose - Youīre a kid, fall asleep and in your dreams you go to the world of the rhymes of Mother. But the fairy tales are all mixed up, and you have to find certain attributes and bring them to the right persons. Brilliant.

And the ones I loved that were already mentioned:
Alley Cat, Centurion, Civilization, Commander Keen, Prince of Persia, SAM

I mustīve forgotten some...
Old September 8, 2001, 18:02   #69
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 14:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
Electronic Arts never made a Sentinel Worlds II.
Hmmm... In that case, what is this?

http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?name=Hard+Nova
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old September 8, 2001, 21:34   #70
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 11:53
Ah nostalgia.
Rogue and testdrive, two of my favourite 486 games
Another old old 4 colour game I cant think of the name... You where this pacman type guy and you had to go around eating berries or diamonds. You weren't in a maze but most of the screen was dirt which took longer to eat through. Some of the bad guys could eat through mud and some couldn't but they were all try to kill you. You could get money bags or if you were being chased you could eat under it and make it fall on the bad guy behind you It was just all yellowy greeny. That was on our old 386.
First game I ever played must have been elite on the old BBC console with two josticks one person could fly while the other shooted.
I had most trouble docking the damned thing
Old September 9, 2001, 15:30   #71
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkknight
Another old old 4 colour game I cant think of the name... You where this pacman type guy and you had to go around eating berries or diamonds. You weren't in a maze but most of the screen was dirt which took longer to eat through.
Hey... That reminds me of another great DOS game... What was the name again. It was kind of pacman like. It wasnīt really a maze you were going through, but you had to "eat away" something. But there were also balls, which would fall down if you ate the square below it. And you had floppy disks and dynamite and chips. I just canīt remember exactly. The only thing I think I remember is that there were 100 levels, and I never got further than 50 or so (?). You had the possibility to skip 3 levels at most.
Could anyone pick up enough clues to find out what game Iīm talking about?
Old September 9, 2001, 22:21   #72
History049
Emperor

The regular Might and Magics

Also Kings Quest..
Old September 10, 2001, 00:22   #73
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LightEning
Hmmm... In that case, what is this?
http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?name=Hard+Nova
Hard Nova??? That was a terrible game!! In every battle, you're outnumbered about 10-to-1 by guys who are better armed than your team, who have better armor and who heal quicker.

The only way to win a battle is to find a room in which your entire team can squeeze with room for one more. One-by-one the 50 or so bad guys follow you in, and your five guys blast the one at a time. It takes about an hour to win one of these battles.

Not only is that boring, but sooner or later, you come to battle where there are no nearby little rooms. game over.
Old September 10, 2001, 12:27   #74
Mercator
Emperor

The game I was thinking about... I found the disk again today , it's called Supaplex.
Old September 10, 2001, 16:17   #75
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I thought of another pacman like game, cd-man it wasn't great but you were chased by spiders and ghosts and sharks
Old September 26, 2001, 16:19   #76
Grumbold
Emperor

Ultima I played on the school Apple II seemed amazing, especially when compared to the only alternatives: ZX81 and Tandy programs you typed in the code for from the latest games magazine in order to play

The variants of the kingdom management games where you basically struggled to survive for as long as possible against an endless wave of opponents were enthralling at the time too. My favourite was based on ruling Athens.
Old September 26, 2001, 20:43   #77
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Ultima I played on the school Apple II seemed amazing, especially when compared to the only alternatives: ZX81 and Tandy programs you typed in the code for from the latest games magazine in order to play

The variants of the kingdom management games where you basically struggled to survive for as long as possible against an endless wave of opponents were enthralling at the time too. My favourite was based on ruling Athens.
That was a good one. I remember playing Lode Runner and Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II as well. "Achtung!"

I also had a buttload of games for my Atari 400/800 (I had both): Choplifter! Pinball Construction Set, M.U.L.E., Rescue on Fractulus, Montezumas Revenge (my first pirated game), Star Raiders, Jordan vs. Bird: One on One, Planetfall, Zork, and a bunch of arcade adaptations (Defender, Donkey Kong, etc.) But my favorite game for the 800 had to be Exodus: Ultima III, played repeatedly even though I came upon a strategy that made my party well nigh invincible.

Civ 1 was the first piece of software I ever bought for a PC and like an idiot, I installed the program to my root directory. Other enjoyable games from that time period include Might and Magic: World of Xeen and Shadow President. I wasn't into PC's in the days of EGA or monochromatic displays.
Old September 27, 2001, 03:16   #78
Grumbold
Emperor

I finally upgraded to a 286 PC after I played Warlords at a friends house and loved it. By then it was clear that the Atari ST was failing as a games platform because the Amiga had won the fight for dominance in the US and games like Bards Tale II and III were not going to be ported across. Then Civ I arrived and I was hooked forever!
Old October 5, 2001, 02:11   #79
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 21:53
What about NETHACK ?????

I cannot *believe* that only Darkknight referred to Rogue.

I first played this game in '89 and couldn't see what was special about it.

At the moment I own many new games, but nethack is the only game I have been inclined to play for some time. Yesterday ascending my first character in a couple of years.

Despite its ascii interface (You can choose vga interface if you prefer), Nethack is the most refined and balanced game I have come across.

If you want to play, search metacrawler.com for "nethack" for a free download and also find a spoilers page (e.g: http://fly.cc.fer.hr/fun/nethack/spoil700/).
The 3 most interesting spoilers are about intrinsics, exercise and trouble. For an easy start, try playing as a Valkyrie. Otherwise a Wizard is an interesting alternative. I have not been able to get far with other character types.
Old October 8, 2001, 21:30   #80
colossus
Warlord

I pick for the PC version of AH 1830.
Pathetic graphics but really good AI, to the extent that I still play it. The AI always team up against you, but no cheating- something modern game designers should always try to achieve.
Old October 10, 2001, 17:56   #81
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 06:53
Nomad was cool. A space adventure, where every alien would give you tons of missles for chocolate.

Monkey Island was cool.

Ragnarok the free game rocked, along with Alphaman. Ahh, the Kevorkian Death Chair (from Alphaman)! Or seeing the text "you have swallowed the potion and lost your legs, little stumps have grown in their place" (from Ragnarok).

X-Com was a DOS game and it was cool. Too bad my comp is too fast now not even MoSlo gets it right.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old October 18, 2001, 12:25   #82
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 08:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
The game I was thinking about... I found the disk again today , it's called Supaplex.
I LOVE THAT GAME!!

Someone actually remade it, as well as a level editor for it....I'll see if I can find the URL again...
Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software
Old October 18, 2001, 12:34   #83
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 08:23
http://www.elmerproductions.com/sp/index.html

Lots of good info here.
Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software
Old October 19, 2001, 08:05   #84
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone

Ragnarok the free game rocked, along with Alphaman. Ahh, the Kevorkian Death Chair (from Alphaman)! Or seeing the text "you have swallowed the potion and lost your legs, little stumps have grown in their place" (from Ragnarok).
If you liked Ragnarok, You might try nethack. not as pretty, but just as fun. see the thread in this forum.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn