hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cradle 1.2
is up at my site
http://www.geocities.com/hexagonia/

This will require Modswapper. If you have downloaded an earlier version of Cradle, you will need the new texts and the leader files - you will not need the pictures and sprites. You can take the pictures and the sprites from the Cradle Scenario folder and move them into the

C:\Program Files\Activision\Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\graphics\pictures

and

C:\Program Files\Activision\Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\graphics\sprites folder.

The only conflict that you will have with MedMod is for the warrior sprite - Wes uses the CTP1 as his warrior and I use the CTP2 EB unit. The choice is yours as to which one you can use/overwrite.

As far as I can tell, there is no conflict on the tga files/leader pics, but we all are using Martin's city Mod so those files are the same.

If you are a first time player you will need all 4 files - plus the install instructions which spells out where everything goes.

And of couse you will need Modswapper - also at my site.

There is a folder for SLIC options on my site - Cradle comes loaded with Diplo 3.5, which is a more aggressive SLIC file - and fits what I am trying to accomplish - but the choice is yours as to which one you will need. You will have to put the CRA_ prefix on all of the files and manually place them. I will reformat them later in the week. I believe that you will like Cradle with the Diplo setup that it bundled with though.

The update incorporates my custom diplo parchments and a host of tweaks posted by players and due to my own playing - also a list of new ancient civs provided by Kull that work within the timeframe of Cradle.

If you are wondering what Cradle offers in the way of gameplay - I refer you to the thread 'Dawn of Man' in the CTP2 Mod Forum where that question is posted to me. And you can check out the Cradle 1.1 thread for my running game, and some comments from other players.

But judge for yourself - This one is worth the download

If you play post comments on this thread. Always looking to improve it.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Last edited by hexagonian; August 24, 2001 at 16:44.
Old July 28, 2001, 21:15   #2
Chris B
Warlord

Just got it this afternoon-
It seems good and worked in Modswapper, but always when I started a game it would freeze by the fifth or sixth turn and I had to force quit .
I dont mean to point any fingers here (perhaps I was just way impatient), but my computer is plenty fast to run CTP2.
The first two freezes were on medium gigantic map with 8 civilizations- then I tried only 6 civs and it still froze .
What can you make of this?
I'll try it again and keep you posted.
-CB
Old July 29, 2001, 11:32   #3
Chris B
Warlord

SORRY
My last comments were inaccurate. I played a new game this morning ith 7 civilizations, and it worked fine, although there are long pauses occaisionally when running turns or when you enter a hut.
Old July 29, 2001, 15:30   #4
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

The long pauses are a known 'bug' due to the militia code. When an AI or a human player enters a goody hut and gets a military unit, the game will take about 1-2 minutes to process the order to give the unit. There's nothing to do except be patient, and as the game progresses and the huts are cleared out, these lags will cease.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old August 1, 2001, 15:37   #5
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Started a new game last night as the Egyptians - it is now turn 220 or so. Same settings as before

9 civs
Very Hard
Raging Hordes
Huge Map

I am also using the smal civs government setup, so I will have to be careful on empires size - any type of empire expansion will have to be handled carefully. I have noted that the human player will often expand much faster that the AI with new cities - this also seems to be an issue in MedMod as well...

Still licking the dust at the bottom of the annals of the graph...

I have been able to build five cities and have conquered one Yamoto city - an attempt on a second Yamoto city failed because of superior defense. Needless to say, I cannot pursue a further war with them because of the buildup of Barbarias within my empire and the arrival of a stack of Harrapans by my westernmost city. Earlier, my diplomat was able to travel the great distance to set up an embassy with the Harrapans, but they then turned around and killed him without warning.

Ironically, the large camp of barbarians also parked outside of that city are now playing cat-and-mouse with the Harrapan forces. Maybe they will kill each other...

Earlier attempts at cleaning out the barbarian forces as they wandered around my empire was semi-sucessful - I would be able to take care of some of them, but the buildup has been too rapid now. In fact, they managed to take my capital, even though it was (I thought) adequately defended with 5 units. But my forces cannot be everywhere. I took the capital back, but will now have to build a new one when the ability to do so becomes available to me to gain that empire wide happiness bonus. For now I can cope with it.

A quick scan over the world shows that the barbarians have not taken any AI cities - Oh why must they plague me...???

I was able to strike up an advance trading program with the Minoans, but my last attempt at trading advances failed - and it would of been a steal on the part of the Minoans - Bronze Working (to them) for some low level tech that only allows access to new early techs. However, I was able to get some good ones with earlier dealings with them. Attempts to trade with the Mayans were also rebuffed.

The world is a cruel evil place indeed.

With Bronze Working, I was able to upgrade most of my forcees, but funds ran short for the last few units. A couple of earlier RBs did deplete my gold. Now I have to build up my gold reserves for the next level of upgrades - trade and trading posts will become very important now, as I will really need to gold to maintain a cutting edge military.

Any other reports from parallel universes????
Old August 3, 2001, 12:48   #6
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Continued the game above - it is now turn 275

I now have 7 cities...

The stack of Harrapan troops parked outside of my western city were misidentified - they turned out to be Han troops - a rather weak civ according to the annals of the graph, but still stronger than I. They established contact with my civ and then disappeared from my vision range. A short time later, the large barbarian stack that had been harassing that city reappeared - rather weakened in strength. It was no problem to dispatch the barbarian stack at that point - but it is also feared that the roving Han army was destroyed by the barbarians as no trace of them has been found.

During this time a couple of barbarian stacks attempted to take Memphis, but were soundly defeated. Seems that the new Hoplites in fortified positions are tough to take out - but the new barbarians that will appear in the future will most certainly be made of sterner stuff - and I expect them to appear again and again.

Barbarians have also been successful in taking what appears to be a Greek city.

Javalin Cavalry have been working well as scouts - they have been able to map a good portion of the world around me. But they are also very fragile in battle. In attempts to explore as much as possible, they have often ended their movement next to hostile forces and have been destroyed. The temptation to use rivers to extend their movement is also very great - they will often end their turn with no enemies in sight, but will be set upon by forces who themselves can use the river to extend their movement. Some Cavalry make it back to my cities to heal - others are not so fortunate.

Since I have made a huge effort to maintain a strong defense, my cities have not been able to build improvements that will benefit the economic and scientific growth of my empire. To this end, I have been building many gold-increasing enhancements as of late - still it is a long and ardurous process. I have begun some internal trade too in the hopes of filling my coffers for the next time that I can upgrade my forces. There is less gold available in this world than in previous worlds, due to different terrain, but we will persevere to make do with what we have.

I have moved up slightly on the annals of the graph - I am almost equal with the Minoans, who appear to be caught in a land bind where there is not much room to expand.

However, the Yamato (who I was at war with for some time) just experienced a huge jump in their military. I had recently sucessfully sued for peace with them, but who knows how long their arrogance will be tempered with mercy. It appears that they have at least 10 cities. The Harrapan also appear to be very strong.
Old August 4, 2001, 15:04   #7
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

For those of you following this thread

I will be gone, starting tomorrow (Sunday, Aug 5) to Sunday, Aug 12. So if anyone (is there anyone) is playing my Mod, post here anyhow and I will reply in a week or so...

Please note my reply concerning the MedMod/Cradle units in the
Modswapper TGA/Dprite Confusion thread if you are using both of those mods in your setup.
Old August 7, 2001, 16:09   #8
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:54
About the Warrior Problem
Hexagonia, To solve the double warrior sprite between your mod and MM2 just change the sprite/tga number of the warrior to 72. Because MM2 also uses this unit sprite but it is called Zulu Warrior.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 8, 2001, 02:16   #9
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
What am I missing?
I went to the hyperlink mentioned above to get Cradle 1.2 but I don't know how to get it. There's just this page all about My Documents Online and the only way to access anything is to register and it costs money.

What am I missing here?
Old August 8, 2001, 06:19   #10
Chris B
Warlord

A BIGGER Modswapper Problem
We overlooked that in MedMod The Bowman has the sprite and TGA's of A Dromon!
Old August 8, 2001, 21:12   #11
Max Webster
Prince

Russell

Your missing the cut and paste that you have to do. Just cut and paste Hex's login and password (which he provides at the top of this thread) into the little boxes on the left of the My docs page and it should lead you to what you want.

Gee Hex after all this reading (took me a bit to find the first thread) I'm really starting to get the itch.

Last edited by Max Webster; August 8, 2001 at 21:42.
Old August 8, 2001, 21:13   #12
Walco
Settler

Local Time: 21:54
The MOD looks great .Im just having a small Problemo!
Well two actualy .How do you get more than the said 8 civs .I see post of people playing with more than 8 .Im just curious.

The second ,more troublesome thing is Diplomod isnt working properly for me.Everytime I meet a new Civ .Well once in reality as it doesnt work after the first. I get this error message.

Unable to find 'UPDG170.tga'

Im not a MODER so am stuck as to what to do .Should I DELETE and reinstal the whole thing .Or is there a way to switch between the various Diplomods. There are 2 with Cradle 1.2 .

What do I do ?

Thanks in Advance,for the great advice .
Old August 9, 2001, 07:29   #13
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
and the only way to access anything is to register and it costs money
You are right mydocsonline is not free anymore

here are parts of the email that I got, today:

Quote:
From email entitled: "Your My Docs Online Account"
Dear My Docs Online Member,

For almost three years now, My Docs Online has been providing mobile professionals with reliable, convenient, and free "anywhere, anytime, any-device access to their important files and documents." Regrettably, as of August 18, 2001 we will be unable to continue providing the free My Docs Online service.

If you wish to continue to enjoy the benefits of your My Docs Online account, we invite you to upgrade your account to our Premium service at a very attractive Introductory Rate. The Introductory Rate is only being offered to existing "free" My Docs Online subscribers. [...]

For those of you that choose not to upgrade, we request that you remove any remaining files and documents prior to August 18th, after which the account and remaining files will be automatically removed from our systems.

I sincerely thank you for your support and patronage over the past three years. Please feel free to email support@mydocsonline.com if we may be of assistance to you as you transition your files in the coming weeks.

Best Regards,

Steve Dempsey, President - My Docs Online

www.mydocsonline.com
So Hexagonian what will you do? Will you pay for your My Docs Online Account in the future? Or will you search for another free web page? I decided to let them remove my My Docs Online Account, I didn't used it so much anyway and as I discovered that my web provider gives me 10MB web space for free I decided to build my little homepage. But I was so close to open it for the public.

Walco to play with more than 8 players find a file called userprofile.txt, it can be found in the same directory as the ctp2.exe.

For the missing 'UPDG170.tga' take a look into your ..\ctp2_data\default\graphics\pictures\ folder there should be 'UPDG170.tga' if not you have to unzip the leaders.zip file again in your ..\ctp2_data\default\ folder.

-Martin
Old August 12, 2001, 08:28   #14
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

It figures, I leave and they take away MyDocsOnline as a free option. If I could get Apolyton to post Cradle, then I wouldn't have this problem...

I have to think about paying for it though - most likely I will unless I can locate something for free in the next few days. I need more than 10 Mgs too.

Anyhow, I have looked at the sprites/tga conflict and have noted the Bowman/Droman mixup. I will go ahead and renumber the conflicts, and bundle the corrected sprites/tgas with the text files. (most likely tomorrow though)

Walco
Make sure that you have downloaded all the zipped files in the Cradle folder - Martin's instructions are correct.
Old August 13, 2001, 12:44   #15
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

OK, I believe that I have Cradle and MedMod compatible concerning the sprites and tga files.

go to

If you have both Mods on your setup, download and unzip the

Cradle texts file

This file will contain changes to the uniticon.txt, newsprite.txt file as well as the renamed Cradle tga/sprite files that conflicted with MedMod.

You can then download

Wes's original files

Unzip this file and allow it to overwrite any files. This will replace my old sprites and tgas in your setup - which are no longer needed, but will still conflict with MedMod units.

If you are downloading Cradle for the first time, all you need are the files within the CRADLE folder - and make sure you look at the installation instructions. I have cleared up the last vestiges of working through the Scenario editor with these new zipped files.

If you are downloading this for the first time, post here if the installation worked corectly too.

Last edited by hexagonian; August 24, 2001 at 16:47.
Old August 13, 2001, 21:01   #16
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
The repeat of the repeat of the repeat...
Hexagonian, just a suggestion that you change your slic for building units so that it doesn't repeat building the same unit over and over but leaves an empty queue afterwards as common sense says it should. Wes's mod already does this so I know it's possible, thanks.
Old August 14, 2001, 00:35   #17
Walco
Settler

Thanks all everything appears to be working well.Im only playing on medium as I still havent got the growing of cities up to scratch im to slow. And with only ONE starting settler the PC has to much advantage.I am comeing back to this genra after a long absscence.

The EXTENDED ancient period is great .After the 1890s the gamre loses much interest to me.So I realy love this idea.
Again thanks for the help.

Walco.

Last edited by Walco; August 14, 2001 at 23:25.
Old August 14, 2001, 12:34   #18
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Russell,
There's an easy cut and paste fix to the Build queue issue. Go into Units.txt and add the following line of copy to each of the unit entries

OnlyBuildOne

I will eventually do it myself, but if you want to do so for your setup, go ahead.

REPORT FROM THE FRONT - TURN 370

There have been a few interesting developments as of late. The first is a signed peace treaty with the Han. They are located on the opposite side of the world. One of my long-range explorers stumbled upon one of their cities. I had noted a Han Nomad in the area, and was aiming to pick it off with my Horse Archer, but my Horse Archer was in turn picked off by a Han Chariot before it could relocate the Nomad. A few turns later, the Han offered a cease fire and then a few turns later, they proposed a peace treaty which was accepted. So I am endeavoring to send a Diplomat via ship to the Han (at least I am assuming that they can be reached by water - parts of the map still remain in the dark - and travel by land is very dangerous)

THe Harrapan managed to take the city of Memphis, but an assembled task force of Hoplites, Archers and a Slavemaster managed to retake the city. My generals are frustrated by the aggessiveness of our neighbors, because that force was assembled to begin some offensive action against the Yamato - (Several attacks on Yamato cities by lone Warriors have shown that those cities are well-defended, so instead, they were being used to whittle down and enslave Yamato forces that have been roaming around outside of the cities until more forces could be created). When Memphis fell to the Harrapan, that force had to return to the heart of my empire, and now some of those troops have to remain behind as a defensive guard. So the military buildup has to start again.

To the west, the city of Helipolis is besieged by no less than 3 large stacks of troops from three civs. The city is fully-guarded, but no troops can get out without risking destruction from one of those forces. It is the hope of the leaders within Helipolis that those enemy forces will succumb to ethnic rivalries and destroy one another. Reports from the surrounding countryside say that the forces will move in position of the walls of Helipolis and then back away as they bump into rival civ stacks. We still lack the strength to effectively deal with the invaders without compromisng other defensive forces that are needed elsewhere. My generals feel that the city will not fall.

Still near the bottom of the annals of the graph, but at least we no longer are in last.
Old August 22, 2001, 12:36   #19
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 04:54
I've been playing Cradle quite a bit since returning from my trip a few days ago. My current game is up to 1300 AD, and has been most entertaining. A few observations:

1) Expansion: To my surprise, the island-bound Babylonians have created colonies on two adjacent land masses. The second of these involved a series of events that were little short of astounding. A longship dropped off a Composite Bowman and a Nomad just north of my border. They were in a small open area dominated by plains and desert, so I assumed they'd move a bit further north and found a city. Wrong. They insisted on entering my borders, bound (apparently) for the distant southeast portion of "my" continent (an unpopulated area full of grassland, forest, and hills). To dissuade the attempt, I used a couple units to block their progress, and tried "herding" them north. After a few vain attempts to sidestep my forces, the Babylonians gave up and boarded a new longship (the original having departed many turns earlier). I was shocked at such seemingly intelligent behavior! Coincidentally, I had a small fleet heading north, and several turns later they bumped into the same Babylonian longship. To my surprise, the Nomad and it's Bowman guard had now been deposited onto the only unoccupied portion of a large island dominated by the Ku****e civ. Where they immediately founded a city! Amazing.

Oddly, it seems the Greeks had also founded a city on the north part of the same Ku****e island, so that makes two civs which have been able to expand outside of their home island. So it seems that Cradle civs will occasionally expand across the sea. Still, thats only three instances of colonization after 700 turns, so I still think that some tweaking is in order.

2) Revolutions: In all my recent Cradle games, it's been somewhat surprising to see the Barbarians assume control of some of the largest AI-civ cities. It seemed odd that they were able to muster forces large enough to "take-out" cities of size 20+, especially since it's certain they are guarded by size 12 stacks. Also, this only happens to cities on continents/islands shared by more than one AI civ. And that's the clue to what is happening.

My current "home" is a huge continent shared by two other large civs, all of whom are at war. Near the center is a "field of battle" surrounded by a few cities owned respectively by the Nubians, Macedonians, and Minoans (me). During one of the almost perpetual campaigns, I was chasing an 8-stack of Macedonians through this region. The Macedonians clearly wanted no part of my 12 stack, and their resulting retreat carried them adjacent to a large Nubian city. I couldn't see exactly what happened, but on the next turn a size 12 Nubian stack appeared on the square previously occupied by the Macedonians, and the Nubian city had "gone Barbarian"!

So here's my theory. When a weak stack appears next to an AI city, the garrison....all 12 units....will attack and destroy it. However, if that city is occupied by slaves, on the next turn they revolt and take control! Now that's nice for the human player, since the resulting size 12 barbarian garrisons are incredibly weak groupings of coracles and warriors. Plus the AI NEVER tries to conquer these barb-owned cities, even though their stacks are fully capable of out-muscling the Barbs. Even worse, this happens frequently over the course of a game. On my continent, the Macedonians have lost SEVEN of their largest cities in this fashion, and the Nubians an additional four. As a result my ongoing war, while still difficult, is nowhere near as hard as it should be.

In my mind, this is a major bug in the Cradle system. The simplest solution, if possible, would be to disable slave revolts inside AI-owned cities

3) Barbarian Stacks: Early in the game, the Barbs often assemble large and dangerous stacks, comprised of a nice combination of warriors, spearmen, and (importantly) slingers and archers. But once the barbs start developing hoplites, they no longer create large stacks, and even when you see one of moderate size, it no longer includes ranged attackers. And they absolutely never include units with different movement allowances (thus you'll never see horsemen in a barb stack). Fortunately this problem does not extend to the AI, as I'm currently battling some NASTY stacks that include a perfect combination of catapults, legions, and cataphracts. As the game wears on, the "foggy" areas that generate barbarians decrease in size, so that may contribute to a reduction in their overall numbers. But the unwillingness to stack seems to be a different matter altogether. It would be nice if the Barbs become MORE dangerous as the game wears on, instead of the reverse.

4) Special Units: The AI does build slavers, prophets, and spies, but never seems to use them. Occasionally I spot one roaming inside my territory, but they never do anything. That's a serious hindrance to the AI, so you might want to take a closer look at those settings. The AI also doesn't establish diplomatic relations with other AI civs, which is surprising since I thought Dale's Diplomod fixed that.

5) Ships and Territorial Violations: I think the MedMod fixes this so that the AI no longer looks takes offense at ships exploring their shores. Not a big issue, but it would be a nice addition to Cradle.

6) Movies: There are none for several of your wonders. Not surprising for Islam perhaps, but wasn't there one for the Hanging Gardens?

7) Civ List Errata (Most are probably errors in the files I sent you): A few of the plurals are wrong - "Nubian" s/b "Nubians" and "Harappan" s/b "Harappans". The country name of the Hittites s/b "Hatti", not "Hittite". Minoan cities 38 & 39 (Enkomi and Kition) should be deleted since the same names are used by the Phoenicians (cities 13 & 14)
Old August 23, 2001, 11:54   #20
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Thanks for the post Kull, this reply will be long too...

A couple of questions before getting into the meat of this post. How is the AI doing regarding general expansion? Are there a lot of AI cities? In my current game, I am seeing larger AI civs than in the past.

EXPANSION
Good to hear that the AI is expanding more and the tactic you described is good to hear - though it could be pushed a little further it sounds. Part of the problem may be that the first available boat that is capable of crossing deep water is the Bireme, which falls about 23rd on the lists for advances that the AI researches. I think that in the default game the Advance comes sooner. So by the time the AI gets the ability to cross seas, many of the continents may already be settled and borders established. The AI doesn't seem to push the border issue too much - once it hits an enemy border, it seems to stop expansion, at least on that front.

I can possibly give the Coracle the ability to cross deep water - it may help a little in that the AI willl be able to get units across water sooner. (I probably will have to sacrifice on the historical front though). I do not know if this will help though.

My current game is more land-based.

SLAVES/REVOLUTIONS
So far, the loss of AI cities to Barbs has been small, at least in my games.

But this is a vexing problem because I'm not sure just how the cities are falling to the Barbs (Your theory is probably close to the mark, since I have seen similar results) - and for some reason, as you noted later on, the AI does not make too much of an effort to retake these Barb cities (this is especially vexing).

The strategies for the Barbs is to attack units first. Actually I have made attacking cities for Barbs a lower priority. They will do so, but not at every chance they have. So you will see them forming up into stacks - move around and then attack a city occasionally and attack any small military stacks that are outside of the city. I thought that this is what was happening with the AI cities that were falling.

But the revolution theory is probably closer to the truth. I saw one instance where an AI civ took away one of my slave cities ? when I got troops into place a few turns later to try to retake the city, the city was controlled by the barbarians - I'm guessing that the city did not have the required garrison troops or had vacated the city without freeing the slaves.

There is a line of text in const.txt that establishes how many garrison units are needed per slave. I have it set at 1 unit per 2 slaves. Boosting that number back up to say, 1 unit per 4 slaves, may help, but it might not if the AI is vacating cities with all of its units to tackle an invading force. I think that the line requires that there needs to be at least 1 unit, even if you only have 1 slave too. I had set the AI to try to maintain a larger garrison force too in the setup that you have.

One thing I am wondering is whether Frenzy is overriding the garrison command. It's my belief that is not the case, because I do see a lot of well defended cities while in a state of war - besides the suicidal frenzy aspect has been greatly lessened in my setup.

From a player standpoint, I really like the high number of garrison units required for a slave population - it will somewhat slow down a militaristic expansionist (emphasis on somewhat). And I have removed the enslave ability from the normal military units, limiting to the specific-gov units/wonder units/slavemaster. But this is still a problem, which may not have a good solution.

The only other possibility is using SLIC. If this can be created via SLIC (the AI does not require a garrison unit to maintain slaves), someone is free to try to do so, as I do not have the ability to create my own (hint...Ben - if you are reading this)

BARB STACKS
I am happy with the way the Barbs are working in the game regarding this issue. My goal was to have the barbs be a huge thorn in your side in the early game - to be gradually be replaced by AI civs, as they are able to get established and are able to create their own forces. They do diminish in the way you observed, due to the reduction of the fog of war - so their stack size will be diminished overr time. I haven't seen any coding that allows them to be released in ever-increasing numbers as the game goes on though. (its a flat rate tied into the fog of war) I think there may be a way to adjust that fog of war setting (seems that I remember that setting), but what it will do is introduce even more barbs in the beginning of the game too - and I do not want the barbs overrunning the game.

One thing that has been interesting is that from time to time, I will get a large stack of AI units outside of a city that will have to deal with either another civ of a stack of Barbs, while my armies are busy warming their toes around the homefires.

Invading force/barb problem solved...

SPECIAL UNITS/DIPLOMACY
There are approx 38 options for the AI to do in Strategies.txt. As you have seen, I had weighted the strategies more to attacks and combat. It may be possible to bump up the efforts of non-conventional attacks without compromising those attack priorities.

I had boosted the AI to build more special units too, but on the flipside, I had lessened the chances of success for many of these units (at least through the Medieval Ages).

I have been using very few of the non-conventional units in my games, mainly because I used to use them a lot and am playing differently now. Plus in the early going, it's been a major scramble to get a good military in place and also to get some infrastructure too.

As for diplomacy, Diplo 3.5 places the AI civs in a Warmonger state. Dale worked through this issue in 3.6, but in trying 3.6, I was not happy with the results as it seemed to make the AI more passive. It seems to be that Dale said that in 3.5, the AI generally will not set up Embassies because of this warmonger state too.

I do have Diplocradle 3.6 available at my site in the CRADLE SLIC options folder.

I have had some success in diplomatic dealings, once I get embassies established - managing to get Advance/map trades, but due to the constant backstabbing of the AI, it has been hard because of the fact that embassies need to be reestablished from time to time.

Merely another player challenge though...

The ship trespass is probably tied into the SLIC coding for Diplo3.5.

Dale, any input???

MOVIES
I would love to get a set of movies for the new wonders. I used up all of the ones I thought would be appropiate for the new ones (but there wasn't one for Hanging Gardens). So if there isn't one, I defaulted to the message box

CIV LISTS
Entries have been fixed - I may have incompletely cut and pasted your entries for those civs (Hittite/Nubia) as I had those on my early setup. However, they are corrected now.

You may want to make the changes to the civilization.txt and civ_str.txt file yourself to save the trouble of a new download.

Last edited by hexagonian; August 23, 2001 at 12:00.
Old August 29, 2001, 09:21   #21
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

There is a very minor update available at my site

I have bumped up the settings in strategies.txt to see if I can get more unconventional attacks. Also included in the update are revised prices for the Janissary and Pezheteroi units (reduction in cost to make them more attractive to buy) and a reduction in Cannon defensive (from 15 to 10 - it still retains its normal ranged attack though).

If anyone is also willing to start a new game and test these settings - as well as test the Mod without Frenzy, feel free to do so. I would like to see if Frenzy is making a difference in AI aggression - if not I may disable it. It's entirely possible that Frenzy is a mitigating factor in some of the AI cities revolting - it may be overriding the garrison command.

Simply go into
CRA_script.slc

and remove the line of text
#include "CRA_frenzy.slc"

to disable Frenzy.
Old August 29, 2001, 10:36   #22
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Hexagonian
MOVIES
I would love to get a set of movies for the new wonders. I used up all of the ones I thought would be appropiate for the new ones (but there wasn't one for Hanging Gardens). So if there isn't one, I defaulted to the message box
Which ones? I'll have a look around for something.
Old August 29, 2001, 20:08   #23
Dale
Emperor

Tresspasing ships......
The withdraw code inherent in Diplo 3.5/3.6 allows for shipping to travel through another civ's borders. By default I left the regard hit in, but I'm pretty certain a simple regard add SLIC line would cancel out the regard hit (the regard hit for violating a trespass agreement by units is 50, it's in diplomacy.txt anyways). I have no idea if Wes changed it in Med Pack.
Old September 5, 2001, 11:10   #24
kaigun
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:54
FIRST ..Thanks for the Mod downloaded it at the end of Aug 27 I think and have played it every day since then......certainly the most enjoyable game of CTP2 Ive had ....Id given up playing till I thought Id see if there were any Mods and try them...first tried Apolyton Pack were I liked the large maps........Can there be super large maps in Cradle???....(In a begging simpering voice)
....Then Cradle which I think is great I seem to be attacked at every turn and back stabbed by the AI so much Ive lost track..Now 1650 Ive got 30 cities and an Alliance with the Inca thats lasted 15 turns (I think that a record in my game)....The early part ogf the game was very touch and go but once i got spies and stole everything in sight ..life became bearable..Still not the strongest but I can protect my borders against all ....not lost a city for 250 years .....
Ive noticed the barbs taking large swathes of cities too.....Only in the Greek Empire well that what i saw when 6 cities changed on my border ....... also a few times
my landlocked capitol was suddenly attacked by Tiremes .....figure that out.....and once when I took a rebel Greek city in mountains it was defended by coracles ????!!!!
But to finish this is just to say thank you Ive enjoyed the MoD
a lot...and continue to do so
...........gripe why cant you sack destroy large cities.....Look what the Romans did to Carthage or Geremany to most of Eastern Europe ......//OK ruin your image but i want to punish Empires that attack my peacefull empire
Old September 5, 2001, 12:37   #25
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kaigun
Ive noticed the barbs taking large swathes of cities too.....Only in the Greek Empire well that what i saw when 6 cities changed on my border ....... also a few times
my landlocked capitol was suddenly attacked by Tiremes .....figure that out.....and once when I took a rebel Greek city in mountains it was defended by coracles ????!!!!
What happened to you is you pulled out your military from a city with slaves and it revolted. Activision used the coracles to indicate a revolt. I have not seen anything in the files to alter this (it must be hard-coded)

I've been mulling this over, and after taking a look at my gamefiles, I'm guessing that the many of the AI cities are revolting because of a lack of garrison units to maintain slave populations - this is partially due to AI frenzy too.

I'm going to make the suggestion to go into const.txt and look for the entry

SLAVES_PER_MILITARY_UNIT 2 # from 3

Change to

SLAVES_PER_MILITARY_UNIT 6 # from 3

This means that you will only need 1 military unit for 6 slaves to prevent a revolt. I'm hoping this will cut down on the swarth of barbarian cities.

I will have an altered file at my site in the near future.

Quote:
Originally posted by kaigun
But to finish this is just to say thank you Ive enjoyed the MoD
a lot...and continue to do so
...........gripe why cant you sack destroy large cities.....Look what the Romans did to Carthage or Geremany to most of Eastern Europe ......//OK ruin your image but i want to punish Empires that attack my peacefull empire
Someone expressed an interest in creating a SLIC file to handle this - if it comes available I will ppost it. For now, to simulate the gold you can get from pillaging a city, go into const.txt and look for the line of text

MAX_DISBAND_SIZE 6

and change it to

MAX_DISBAND_SIZE 70

This will allow you to sell off improvements and then disband the city.

Currently, I am working on adding several new tile improvements. I think I have figured out a way to do it too, using some of the existing graphics.
Old September 6, 2001, 01:42   #26
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 04:54
A few more comments, as my game moves deeper into the middle ages (the actual year is 1460, and the techs synch up almost perfectly):

1) Piracy at Sea: Doesn't work. Every single ship type up to Dromon is incapable of Pirating trade routes. I think this also contributes to a relatively passive AI naval strategy (see next comment)

2) Naval Misc: The AI won't pillage ocean improvements and doesn't use naval stacks (that I've seen anyway), but is almost suicidally aggressive toward my naval units.....often attacking my size 2 naval stacks with single ships. Conversely, almost every conquered AI port city contained two or three ships just sitting in the port. So something seems out of balance here. Basically all they do is send out single ships on random patrols and occasionally to move a few ground units.....and that's it.

3) Pillaging: The AI doesn't do this on land OR sea, which is unfortunate. For example, when a large stack appears near one of my border cities, there's little incentive to risk attacking it. BUT, if the darned thing was pillaging all my expensive improvements, THAT would probably force me to take some type of action. Likewise with Port cities. Since the AI never pillages improvements or drops off "special" units, there's little need to maintain a "ready reaction" defensive naval force.

4) Inappropriate Improvements: The AI has suddenly begun to build farms on it's forests! Since this has no effect at all, it's just a waste of PW resources by the AI (since the human player is smart enough not to do it). This only works with the advanced farms (#2). I noticed they can even be built on jungles, also to no effect.

In answer to one of your earlier questions ("Is the AI building more cities?"), the answer is "Yes". Now the AI will absolutely fill up all the available space in it's own region, and will actively send colonization stacks to your territory (assuming you share a continent) if you have open space available. Since my last report, the Babylonians founded a city on a single-square island (!) close to their earlier colony on the Kush Continent, but that's been the only other cross-ocean colonization.

With respect to my comments about Barbs getting tougher in the later stages of the game, the real question is why won't they stack? I agree that they should be fewer in number as time goes on, but when a group of Barb Pikemen appear in my mountains, why do they wander off separately? Earlier in the game the Barb Warriors seek each other out and assemble into large stacks, and losing this intelligent behavior not only doesn't make sense, but it makes the Barbs a much easier target for my slavehunting interior patrols. Plus since they won't pillage, Barbs constitute no threat at all...in fact I find them to be an easy way to recruit new armies, since at least one of my Great Leaders is permanently assigned to Barb Hunting.

I took note of your recommendation to increase the slave guard power of each unit to 6, but the best solution would be a slic code that disables Slave Revolts in AI cities.....if only some kind person would volunteer to code it! Speaking of Slave Revolts....since coracles are basically useless anyway (I never build more than one or two...usually waiting for biremes), would it be possible to remove them as a normal buildable unit and turn them into some kind of REALLY tough Barb unit? That way a revolt could lead to truly dire consequences! As it is now, Barb cities are easy pickings, even more so because the AI won't attack them. But the REAL unbalancing impact of Revolt cities is....

5) Latent Build Power: Now this is probably cheating but it's SOOOO tempting. Let's say I discovered a tech that would let me build Appian Way (and get Caesar!), but even my best city would take 45 turns to finish it. No problem. I conquer one of the many Slave Revolt cities in the neighborhood, set the build on Appian Way, and VOILA!, one turn till completion! This doesn't happen in every case, but it's true in 3 out of 4. Seriously unbalancing.

As always, let me insert this caveat: Cradle is extremely fun to play, and there's a LOT more right than wrong!
Old September 6, 2001, 04:41   #27
kaigun
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:54
With reference to the naval thing......The game generated a largely land map with inland seas ...one of which is very large and the site of many naval actions ....apart from me the other 2 leading civs are the Greeks and the Carthaginians both still more advanced on the tech tree.....The Greeks have frequently pillaged my tile improvements ...and when driven off on more than one occasion after my fleet drove of the single raider it was gang-banged by the Greeks with fleets of 8 ships being spotted...Agree often the AI is suicidal in naval combat...but it does build fleets ...maybe you killed off the AIs ships too quickly...True on land I can only remember one instance of pillaging very vert early on.........
Well back to the game my cities are being besieged by Cartho Rifleman on the Western front...and defended by crossbows and a few Aquabuses...my spies are trying hard to narrow the tech difference...things look dark at present but with luck we will survive (I have lost 2 small cities).....
Old September 6, 2001, 09:05   #28
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:54
Hexagonia, about the coracles being the defense of revolted cities. I have an idea on what is causing it and how to solve it.

A small background:
When i create my mod i made two settler units. The Nomad and the colonizer to replace the Settler, You were suppose to start with the Nomad and get the colonizer later on. But a problem happen. Every time i started a game i had the Colonizer as the begginnig unit. After some experimenting i discovered that the game got the first land settler unit it saw in the unit.txt and because it was organized by alphabetical order it always got the Colonizer rather than the Nomad. I had to dislocate the Colonizer data to a place after the Nomad data to all worked nicely.

When i read you saying you got the Coracle as the Revolting unit i remembred i got the Catamaran and not the coracle like in your mod. And i do have the Coracle unit too.

I think the problem like in the case of the settler units is because the game gets the first Sea unit available in the Unit.txt. In my case the catamaran in yours the Coracle.

I suggest the creation of a Sea unit that isnt really a sea unit. Something like movement 0, characteristics and sprite of a Land unit (a militia maybe). Still having Movement: ShallowWatter (compensated with the zero movement). It i a valid thought although i did not test it.
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; September 6, 2001 at 09:10.
Old September 6, 2001, 15:33   #29
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kull
1) Piracy at Sea: Doesn't work. Every single ship type up to Dromon is incapable of Pirating trade routes. I think this also contributes to a relatively passive AI naval strategy (see next comment)

2) Naval Misc: The AI won't pillage ocean improvements and doesn't use naval stacks (that I've seen anyway), but is almost suicidally aggressive toward my naval units.....often attacking my size 2 naval stacks with single ships. Conversely, almost every conquered AI port city contained two or three ships just sitting in the port. So something seems out of balance here. Basically all they do is send out single ships on random patrolsand occasionally to move a few ground units.....and that's it.

3) Pillaging: The AI doesn't do this on land OR sea, which is unfortunate. For example, when a large stack appears near one of my border cities, there's little incentive to risk attacking it. BUT, if the darned thing was pillaging all my expensive improvements, TH
AT would probably force me to take some type of action. Likewise with Port cities. Since the AI never pillages improvements or drops off "special" units, there's little need to maintain a "ready reaction" defensive naval force.
At least Kaigun is getting some naval action.

As a sidenote, in all of the CTP1, CTP2 and SMAC games that I have played, I have never seen much action on the naval aspect of the game - that doesn't make it right though

Are you using the updated files, posted about a week ago?

If so, I will bump those priorities up even further. I'm going to be starting a new game soon, attempting to see how high I can go on those numbers, even if it takes away some attack priorities.

Quote:
4) Inappropriate Improvements: The AI has suddenly begun to build farms on it's forests! Since this has no effect at all, it's just a waste of PW resources by the AI (since the human player is smart enough not to do it). This only works with the advanced farms (#2). I noticed they can even be built on jungles, also to no effect.
I am also currently addressing the Tile Improvement setup. I have just figured out how to add new ones - at least in a limited fashion - in light of the fact that a player had limited choices in improvements for a long time in Cradle. The AI places an inordinate amout of emphasis on food enhancers which has yet to be entirely overcome in any Mod.

In the setup I am working on, Farms/Advanced Farms will not be built on forests. Are they overwriting existing improvements in forests?

Quote:
With respect to my comments about Barbs getting tougher in the later stages of the game, the real question is why won't they stack? I agree that they should be fewer in number as time goes on, but when a group of Barb Pikemen appear in my mountains, why do they wander off separately? Earlier in the game the Barb Warriors seek each other out and assemble into large stacks, and losing this intelligent behavior not only doesn't make sense, but it makes the Barbs a much easier target for my slavehunting interior patrols. Plus since they won't pillage, Barbs constitute no threat at all...in fact I find them to be an easy way to recruit new armies, since at least one of my Great Leaders is permanently assigned to Barb Hunting.
They might not be stacking up because so few are being released - and the cities are holding onto existing Barbs as garrisons.

In looking at the files, I may have stumbled on something that may help the Barbarians in several areas. Basically, the barbs also have a strategy file - I just noted that the default government is anarchy. Not a problem if the Barbs do not have a lot of cities, as they are not producing/researching anything. But what is happening is the Barbs are gaining cities. Staying in Anarchy will not allow them to advance to a higher government because they will not be able to research anything because of the high penalties placed on Anarchy. So they always stay weak in the cities that they hold. The barbs that are released from the fog of war are strong units which helps them to to remain somewhat of a thorn, but never a huge threat as time goes on.

A question, in your opinion, does the AI civs constitute your main threat at this stage of the game? If so, I can limit the timeframe of barbarians being released. I'm also hoping that the adjustment of garrison units for slaves will further reduce Barb city revolts, since the coracles in those cities indicate that the city fell via revolt.

I probably will also play the game with Frenzy disabled, to see what the effects are without it. Between the Diplomod 3.5 placing the AI in a warmongor state and my high settings for attacks, Frenzy might not be needed - it basically assemble the troop and sends them off - and it may be overriding the garrison command.

Quote:
I took note of your recommendation to increase the slave guard power of each unit to 6, but the best solution would be a slic code that disables Slave Revolts in AI cities.....if only some kind person would volunteer to code it! Speaking of Slave Revolts....since coracles are basically useless anyway (I never build more than one or two...usually waiting for biremes), would it be possible to remove them as a normal buildable unit and turn them into some kind of REALLY tough Barb unit? That way a revolt could lead to truly dire consequences! As it is now, Barb cities are easy pickings, even more so because the AI won't attack them. But the REAL unbalancing impact of Revolt cities is....

5) Latent Build Power: Now this is probably cheating but it's SOOOO tempting. Let's say I discovered a tech that would let me build Appian Way (and get Caesar!), but even my best city would take 45 turns to finish it. No problem. I conquer one of the many Slave Revolt cities in the neighborhood, set the build on Appian Way, and VOILA!, one turn till completion! This doesn't happen in every case, but it's true in 3 out of 4. Seriously unbalancing.
I will have to take a look at Pedrunn's suggestion to see if this will work.

If somebody could write some SLIC...??? - But Ben and Peter are busy at this time with another project.

Quote:
As always, let me insert this caveat: Cradle is extremely fun to play, and there's a LOT more right than wrong!
Thanks!!
Old September 7, 2001, 12:21   #30
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

After looking at my units.txt file, I do not believe that Pedrunn's solution will work (thanks for the idea though) because I have several naval units (Battleship, Bireme, Carrack) that appear before the Catamaran (or Coracle - they are actually the same unit - it is labeled Catamaran in units.txt, but renamed Coracle in the gl_str.txt file).

What I may try to do is use Kull's suggestion to give the Coracle land abilities, replace the sprite/tga with an existing unit and put a 'can't build' command on it. Perhaps the program will plug in that data instead when cities revolt...