Old July 29, 2001, 15:16   #1
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
EB response about "Limited Edition" Civ III
The following is a response to an email that I sent to EB (Electronic Boutique) asking about the "pre-ordering" of CivIII. As mentioned in an earlier thread, there are two different versions of CivIII supposedly. Please note that EB still thinks that Microprose is publishing this game . I would be afraid if you have already pre-ordered from them

Quote:
Thank you for writing EBgames.com.

At this time, we are waiting for Microprose, the manufacturer, to distribute the information as to the difference between their Limited Edition and the standard edition. As soon as they have notified us as to the benefits and extras of the Limited Edition, we will then post that information to the website, so please keep checking back with us for that update.

Thank you.
Tom
EBgames.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jeric [SMTP:jeric@mmcable.com]
> Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2001 11:42 PM
> To: Help
> Subject: Pre-Sale question:
>
> Hello,
> I have seen two different versions of Civilization III pre-order options on your website. However, there is no clarifiaction as to the difference between the "limitted edition"
(http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=207765) and the "normal edition" (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=202330), other than the $15 price difference. I would like to pre-order this game, but I am confused as to the difference. Can you please clarify what is included in each, or what makes them different?
>
> Thank you,
>
>

Last edited by Nemo; July 31, 2001 at 00:30.
Old July 29, 2001, 18:11   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 06:55
Seems to me the limited edition will be a few more little features Firaxis added at the end of development, or maybe it'll have soundtrack or something. If they don't know what it'll feature, odds are it's not a major change.
Old July 29, 2001, 18:24   #3
Rhysie
Warlord

Local Time: 11:55
They wouldn't plan to add new features into a limited edition release, if they did that it would be a last minute thing (You don't plan to run out of time to incorporate the feature into the main game) and also if the two editions are released at the same time there is no reason to not include all the features in the main game.

Most likely the limited edition contains some trinkets of some sort... Nice technology charts, that kind of stuff. Depending what the trinkets are I might be tempted to go for the limited edition... But I don't believe it will contain different gameplay.
Old July 29, 2001, 18:29   #4
Nemo
Prince

Also, I just found that the limited edition package is going for $59.95 on 'chips and bits' website. I am sure there are other sites out there that offer both of these pre-order games at cheaper costs.
Old July 30, 2001, 05:47   #5
OneFootInTheGrave
King

That EB guy certainly lives in the past... 'Microprose'
Old July 31, 2001, 05:05   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:55
You lazy people
Don't any of you read the news?

The "Limited Edition" includes the "Offficial Strategy Guide," while the standard edition doesn't.
Old July 31, 2001, 11:50   #7
Mark_Lipovrovskiy
Chieftain

if (OfficialStrategyGuide == manual) {
Mark.surprised = false;
Mark.kill(firaxis);
}
else {
Mark.buyGame(civ3);
}

Hey, my first Java program!!
I hope I didn't manage to squeeze any errors into that
Which reminds me that I gotta start applying my limited Java knowledge if I wanna learn it eventually...
Old July 31, 2001, 19:17   #8
Nemo
Prince

Re: You lazy people
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Don't any of you read the news?

The "Limited Edition" includes the "Offficial Strategy Guide," while the standard edition doesn't.
Which news was this? I only saw speculation within these forums until today's posting from Dan Q. I have never heard of a Primus strategy guide shipping with a product titled "Limitted Edition" before. Does Primus even ship their guides with games?

Last edited by Nemo; August 1, 2001 at 01:50.
Old August 1, 2001, 00:10   #9
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:55
Quote:
We're still working out the final details, but it'll come in a very nice tin with the game, manual, a "Making of Civ III" CD and some other cool stuff
Old August 1, 2001, 11:37   #10
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Re: Re: You lazy people
Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo

Which news was this? I only saw speculation within these forums until today's posting from Dan Q. I have never heard of a Primus strategy guide shipping with a product titled "Limitted Edition" before. Does Primus even ship their guides with games?
I have Prima Games Alpha Centauri and Starcraft bundle guides to prove your statement wrong.

They do ship guides with games.

Though what use a Civ III strategy guide would be is beyond me.
Old August 1, 2001, 11:43   #11
Trdi
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:55
I'm more interested in that cool stuff. What's that?
Old August 1, 2001, 12:53   #12
Sabre2th
King

A civ strategy guide might be nice to look at, but those guides are pretty useless in open-ended games. The "Making of" CD sounds cool, but I would only use it once, I'm not sure that in itself is worth the money.

If civ3 is as good as I hope it is, I want the LE to come with a temple of some sort, so I can worship Sid properly
Old August 1, 2001, 12:54   #13
Sabre2th
King

The "other cool stuff" might just be the poster or whatnot. It might not be that exciting. I guess we'll just have to wait and see
Old August 2, 2001, 06:46   #14
Trdi
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:55
Well it COULD be sth for better playing. Scenarios or units... but wouldn't be fair really. They should put in the game. Naa. It's a poster ... and a mouse pad