Old July 31, 2001, 13:01   #1
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Important - Worm Viruses!
This is important tronkos. In the past two weeks I have received several viruses disguised as attachments to otherwise innocent e-mails.

All of them came in thru my apolyton e-mail address. My system is well protected he, he, but since a significant portion of my Apolyton mail comes from the users of this forum, I was wondering if any of you guys also has received anything 'not normal' lately (do you routinely run your anti-virus programs?)

The viruses I received were:

The first one was a message from different 'users' asking me to open an attachment to apparently give my advice about what was in it. That one is the Sircam worm. I received it three times.

Second was something like an erotic comic clip. The message body was in Spanish: "Enano si, pero fijate que tamaño de instrumento" (more or less). I received that one twice. That's another worm, I dunno which one.

Re the last one, Norton eliminated it without telling me much else. I assume it was too bold.

Post here your impressions guys, please.
Old July 31, 2001, 13:54   #2
Dr. Nick
Deity

Local Time: 08:59
I got the SirCam... funniest thing is it came from a person I'd never heard about, and it works by being forwarded to your e-mail address book...

Dunno, but someone I don't know has my e-mail address... could be that Brazilian girl who's stalking me over ICQ... dunno...
Old July 31, 2001, 15:35   #3
Jay Bee
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by El Awrence
I got the SirCam... funniest thing is it came from a person I'd never heard about, and it works by being forwarded to your e-mail address book...

Dunno, but someone I don't know has my e-mail address... could be that Brazilian girl who's stalking me over ICQ... dunno...

Somebody from Apolyton sent it to you. This worm changes the sender's name so it's not strange you never heard from the person who sent it. It's a fake name. Same thing happened to me the three times. The people who create these things are insane but also very smart, uh?
Old July 31, 2001, 16:04   #4
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
Nothing here, but if I don't know the sender, I don't read the message.

My firewall would catch it, but I know that Drake in the MP area got a really bad worm last week from another poly poster by accident.
Old July 31, 2001, 16:05   #5
Waku
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
I've only recieved this virus once at home but lots of times at work (I don't even browse appolyton from work). I think it's widely spreaded.
Old July 31, 2001, 16:25   #6
Jay Bee
staff

Correction. I have received sircam four times. It's a very nasty worm but it's true that avoiding infection is easy. Ignore mails from unknown senders or just don't click on the attached file!!!!

The worm infects via e-mail attachments. Browsing Apolyton should mean no harm, I think
Old July 31, 2001, 18:40   #7
Fiera
Emperor

Re: Important - Worm Viruses!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bee
Second was something like an erotic comic clip. The message body was in Spanish: "Enano si, pero fijate que tamaño de instrumento" (more or less). I received that one twice. That's another worm, I dunno which one.
I received that one four or five times. The excact message would be "Enanito sí, pero con qué pedazo". Last time I received was probably a month ago or more. I always delete it inmediately, but
I think it doesn't includes an attachment though.
Old July 31, 2001, 19:03   #8
Waku
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish Civers
Emperor

Re: Re: Important - Worm Viruses!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera
I received that one four or five times. The excact message would be "Enanito sí, pero con qué pedazo". Last time I received was probably a month ago or more. I always delete it inmediately, but
I think it doesn't includes an attachment though.
Exactly the same happened to me, last time I received it was 3-4 weeks ago. It attached an .exe.
Old July 31, 2001, 19:52   #9
Jay Bee
staff

Lemme check my Norton log file.... last time I received the enanito message was July 25. And yes, it does include an attachment file. It's called enano.exe, and contains the Hybris Worm virus.

BTW, another Sircam attempt a few minutes ago.
Old July 31, 2001, 19:58   #10
Jay Bee
staff

BTw, in the El Mundo newspaper there is a note about Sircam on the front page!!! That suggests me that it must have propagated very very fast.
Old August 1, 2001, 11:44   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:59
That virus sends itself to everyone in your address book and to everyone whose email is at a site you recently visited.

I got that virus about 6 times, deleted it every time.

Heard about the Big Red Worm virus? If you get it, turn off your computer... it is supposed to attack US Government sites and destroy any server on the internet.
Old August 1, 2001, 11:57   #12
Dr. Nick
Deity

Local Time: 08:59
How do I recognise that one, NubeOscura?

And I thought Michelangelo was bad when I got it in 1996...
Old August 7, 2001, 21:30   #13
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:59
Yes, I got emails with Sircam infected files attached a couple of times, but my software caught it. At least I think so. Did you get the names of the files?
Old August 14, 2001, 17:12   #14
Jay Bee
staff

Sircam has two versions, one in English and another in Spanish. I have received both. I think the name of the attachment is always the same, bt I can't remember now. Norton kills it before I can pit my hands on it (thank God ). It's been almost one week since receiving the last one. Cross my fingers, that virus was really getting on my nerves...
Old August 15, 2001, 18:58   #15
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bee
Sircam has two versions, one in English and another in Spanish. I have received both. I think the name of the attachment is always the same, bt I can't remember now. Norton kills it before I can pit my hands on it (thank God ). It's been almost one week since receiving the last one. Cross my fingers, that virus was really getting on my nerves...
I have recived Sircam twice, and the attachment vary his name.... His select it randomly from a file of the infected har disk, as far as I know