Old July 31, 2001, 19:47   #1
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Screenshots
can someone explain to me how some people (pessimists) on this website can say "civ wont be any inovation, have you seen the screenshots " and not be flamed?

A:you play the game not the graphics
B:wasent this the "grafics dont make a game, gameplay does site
C:I'm probably the only person who will say this but i LIKE those screenshots.

people like Yin aren't constructive critcists, they just hate Civ3 for some unknown reason. if they didn't they would actually have a discussion that wasen't this: "how can you say this is a big leap forward? all the pessemists are right becouse they have proof. have you seen the screenshots"- how can you say that that is a discussion? i have yet to see them have any ability to attack civ3's gameplay, just the graphics.

the only things ive heard about gameplay are

bugs- the possibility that due to lack off testing it will be filled with bugs- all games have them, as long as it dosen't ruin the game (ctp2), it will be ok. besides, who says they dont play the game enough to fix em.
AI-the game wont be able to handle the new features- they will or the company wont have a game and they know it! besides, we really cant discuss this due to lack of info.

thats what i got to say! discuss
Old July 31, 2001, 21:00   #2
Phutnote
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:59
I like the screenshots too. They're still working on a few things, but overall I like the look the game has.

I think the game will be able to handle the changes in the end, because ultimately they will only add changes that it can handle. If by the end of the deadline something ain't working, it probably won't make the cut.

Firaxis might not know what is in or out until the very final stretch, when it has to make the hard choices.

Phutnote
Old July 31, 2001, 21:06   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

all it comes down to with the graphics, is can i tell what's what.

i dont want to have to squint to tell what a unit, or a terrain improvement.

i'm also HOPING (odd for pessimists) that the jpeg compression is the culprit here.
Old July 31, 2001, 23:45   #4
Sean
Prince

To be honest, I see very little wrong with the screen-shots. I can tell what-is-what, and they are reasonably aesthetic. True, they are nothing to rave about, but Civ has never been about the graphics....has it?
Old August 1, 2001, 02:59   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:59
Splangy, Sean, Phutnote, and whoever else likes the look of these screenshots

The graphics may look cooler (not temp. either) than all other Civ games but that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if it is clear. These screenshots show that the graphics aren't clear. You people who say you don't mind these graphics are actually the people who care the most about graphics. True graphic fanatics care most about how cool they are. Not about the clearity. You like these graphics because they look much cooler than Civ2. I don't like these graphics because they are very unclear. I can barely make out what thing is which. Give me clearity before coolness, which in turn would mean give me Civ2's graphics before Civ3's graphics.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 1, 2001, 04:02   #6
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:59
Quote:
People like Yin aren't constructive critcists, they just hate Civ3 for some unknown reason.
You are starting to bore me. I've given you many chances to be constructive with me, yet you aren't. People who have been around awhile know exactly what I've done or tried to do for Civ 3 while you sit here ignorantly saying I 'hate' Civ 3.

You are clueless.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old August 1, 2001, 04:09   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

As TechWins noted, my complaint has been about clarity of the graphics, which from what we've seen is lacking. Then again, nobody knows for sure how old those screens are. And the very FACT that we know so little about gameplay and AI this close to a release (oh, and MP), opens the door for us as fans to say: "Hey, what's going on?"

And when all we really have to work with is vague graphics and a vitural blackout for information, then it doesn't take too much imagination to start asking tough questions. Add to it that Firaxis says the graphics are the best ever in the genre, and one starts to think: "Either they have vastly upgraded those graphics from the screenshot days or they are diluted. Either way, updated shots would tell the story, so where are they?"

The fact is, I'm one of the biggest supporters of a hugely successful Civ 3 around here. I've donated literally hundreds of hours to the effort with the List. etc. And I'd also like to think that I along with other posters here have started discussions that helped Civ 3 along the way. While I could be totally wrong, the limited edition idea seems at least helped by my thread started back in March 2000 (who knows, though...).

So, Splangy, take the trolling elsewhere. Until you do anything else BUT troll by dropping my name and putting words in my mouth, I see no sense in repeating myself.

Old August 1, 2001, 04:46   #8
kolpo
Prince

The color palet looks SMAC like in my view, I would prefere a more civ2(or even ctp2) color palet. That is the biggest problem and not a detail like roads that flies(the road should not go over the mountain but under it in a tunnel in my view). A good color palet gives a clear, fun to look to game(I hope we can edit the palet they use but I doubt it, never saw a game that allowed it).
Old August 1, 2001, 04:53   #9
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 13:59
the rule of thumb is that one should immediately realize what terrain/unit he is looking at.
now to rave about civ2 graphics is a bit too much. civ1 was also very 'clear' and i had no problems distinguishing tanks and infantry in 'empire'
Old August 1, 2001, 05:53   #10
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:59
How many times does it need to be pointed out that JPEG compression makes a significant loss of quality, especially to something that is as detailed as that. You are overscrutinising...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 1, 2001, 06:26   #11
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:59
You will be able to understand what each unit is easily - in screenshots they're static, but when they move, it's pretty easy to see what it is. Go Firaxis, go Sid!
Old August 1, 2001, 07:35   #12
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

yin, I know absolutely that you have done much good for Civ3, but in the last time you have changed!

Earlier, I was thinking "oh, yin has responded! Let's hear what he has to say!" It was always interested to read your thoughts.

But in the last months or so, you have been more and more...what should I say? boring! Now it's like "oh, no! yin has posted something again! am I able to read that now, I'm tired of his thoughts...!"

I hope this is just something short, and that you soon will be as before, yin. Good luck!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 1, 2001, 07:43   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Nikolai:

Thanks for the kind word and the criticism. Yes, I agree with you. That is why I have decided not to post anything more negative or positive until more information comes. We all tried to guess and second guess with just the little information over the last month, and, indeed, it bored me, too. LOL!

Old August 1, 2001, 07:47   #14
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Nikolai:

Thanks for the kind word and the criticism. Yes, I agree with you. That is why I have decided not to post anything more negative or positive until more information comes. We all tried to guess and second guess with just the little information over the last month, and, indeed, it bored me, too. LOL!
nikolai: we have all pieces of the puzzle now! everyone wondered how it happened that yin gave sidgolf idea.....
YIN = SID
just think about it: who is the most brilliant guy you met here on forum? who is the only guy whose mind matches that of the SID himself? i need not say more...
Old August 1, 2001, 09:14   #15
Trdi
Chieftain

I like the screenshots, too. What would be like, if I would open a poll asking this question... I think this would bve a wonderful poll! Yeah, sure! I just have to check there aren't any other polls like that.
Old August 1, 2001, 14:22   #16
Sabre2th
King

Oh no. Not another POLL

Old August 2, 2001, 03:18   #17
meriadoc
Warlord

Personally I like the new graphics and I'm sure that the end results will look better than the screenshots that have been posted. After all, the screenshots are months old. Now, before you flame me, read the rest:

I like the new graphics yes, but I don't know if I will like how they affect gameplay. We are talking about a game that has dozens of units, terrains, cities, etc. A game that often takes tens of hours to play; for one game. A game that will be run full-size on a monitor that is at least 15 inches (usually). What have we seen? A dozen or so outdated, shrunk down, compressed screenshots. I think that until we start to play the game we can't really say how the graphics affect the game. Until then, I'm going to say that they look nice.
Old August 2, 2001, 07:11   #18
Trdi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
Oh no. Not another POLL

Does this sequence of smilies mean you are winking when you sleep? BTW Wake up, life's so nice, with all those babes outside.
Old August 2, 2001, 07:28   #19
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I personally really like the look of the screenshots. They are a different style than what appeared in CTP2, but I really think the way they are done give the game a much more epic feel than the graphics of CTP2. And I also agree with everyone else, they are shrunken compressed JPEG images. I bet once you see the graphics full screen with all the movement and everything I bet even Yin will be impressed. Oh, by the way, will somebody larify the whole Yin = Sid thing?! Thanks!!
Old August 2, 2001, 07:48   #20
Recurve
Chieftain

There’s much unfounded optimism here (compression my ass, the graphics department are working for a rival). Who hired these people?!?

I’m beginning to wonder how blind optimists can win games of civ (“my army’s been wiped off the face of the planet but never mind, I’ve still got a battleship, a submarine and a few pikemen left. I’ll win the war comfortably.”).
Old August 2, 2001, 08:19   #21
LaRusso
King

as we all know, a fortified pikeman was worth 10 tanks in previous civ installments
Old August 2, 2001, 12:45   #22
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trdi

Does this sequence of smilies mean you are winking when you sleep? BTW Wake up, life's so nice, with all those babes outside.
I want to get as much sleep as possible now so I can play civ3 for a month and a half straight when it comes out