Old July 31, 2001, 20:34   #1
RedArmy
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is AI in Apolyton Pack aggressive?
I'm sorry to ask this question before I actually play the Pack.

I've read the thread about the packs around and Pedrunn said this:

"If you like the ancient ages get craddle, if you want to see new features and diversous gameplay get Medmod, and if you dont want these bunch of new things and want to play the regular settings get Apolyton Pack."

So, I would like to stick on the regular game (with things fixed) --- the Apolyton Pack, but I remember in some thread people say AI Craddle is the most aggressive, the others mods are basically the same as original.

In the Craddle thread, Hexagonian said all the trick was 'Frenzy AI Mod' being incorporated --- I am not sure if I get correct here.

So, what I am asking here is, how is AI doing in Apolyton Pack? On the other hand, how can I load Frenzy AI Mod after I load Apolyton Pack (have both of them)?

Cheers
Old July 31, 2001, 23:19   #2
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:59
I'm not Wes, Dale or Hexagonia But i do know that all of this mods uses the Dales Diplomod. So the AI should be basicly the same.

Craddle is a exception because it uses the Frenzy AI mod wich is a feature that increases the AI agressivity during the development of the Tech Tree, achivieng the kill or die level with the discovery of Fusion.

There are a lot of speculation also about the Hexagonias Strategy.txt and DiffDB.txt wich some people say that is there where the secret lies.

But if my memory isnt failing i remind the Apolyton Pack uses those hexagonias files . I did never play a Apolyton Pack, so i cant tell you how agressive it is but i did play Craddle and i can garantee that the AI is the most Agressive among the games i played. Why? I do not know.
-Jean Rostand
Old July 31, 2001, 23:23   #3
RedArmy
Chieftain

... ok ... thanks, but, is there anyway Apolyton and Frenzy AI can be put together? sorry to ask same question again.
Old July 31, 2001, 23:38   #4
Pedrunn
King

To add the frenzy AI to the apolyton mod you heve to download it and set it up. then go to APOL_main.slc and add the line

Code:
#include   "frenzy.slc"
I think that should do it

Any problems, just ask.
-Jean Rostand
Old July 31, 2001, 23:41   #5
RedArmy
Chieftain

I'll try tonight and update the thread
but I do think there are more things besides 'slic' file, they are Strategy.txt etc. but anyway, let's see how it goes.
Old August 1, 2001, 04:59   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:59
Firstly you have to make sure you have frenzy.slc in the default/gamedata folder...

Yeah, Frenzy also has strategies.txt, but the Cradle strategies.txt is included in the Apolyton Pack anyway, so it should work fine.

In fact, because it uses Cradle/Frenzy strategies, it is probably more aggressive than normal anyway whether you include frenzy.slc anyway.
Old August 1, 2001, 08:00   #7
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RedArmy
I'll try tonight and update the thread
but I do think there are more things besides 'slic' file, they are Strategy.txt etc. but anyway, let's see how it goes.
Sorry i did not know that. I only know about frenzy from the Craddle gamedata and i thought it was a slic file only . But from my and IW info i think you can finish install it.
Good Luck
-Jean Rostand
Old August 1, 2001, 08:57   #8
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Dale said he modified some of my files - however, I do not know what he did as I haven't yet had the time to look at the Apolyton Pack files.

I do know that he said Diplomod 3.5 was more aggressive than 3.6 too. Cradle uses 3.5.

The Frenzy in my mod is actually a low level frenzy because it tied into whatever advance you have reached. If you go into Frenzy.slc, you can adjust Frenzy by looking for the following lines of text

} elseif (FAI_PlayerAge[num] < 2 && HasAdvance(num, ID_ADVANCE_IRON_WORKING)) {
FAI_ATTACK_SIZE = 7;
FAI_PlayerAge[num] = 2;
for (i = 1; i <= FAI_MAXPLAYERS; i = i + 1) {
if(IsHumanPlayer(num) && FAI_HateLevel[i] <= 25) {
FAI_HateLevel[i] = FAI_HateLevel[i] + 5;
}
}
}

Each level of Frenzy has a similar entry, tied into an advance - so if you want to reach higher levels of Frenzy, then you need to change the HasAdvance line to an earlier advance. (In Cradle, the next level of Frenzy is not reached until Industrial Revolution) What you also have to remember is that on the highest levels of Frenzy, the AI goes suicidal - attacking with no regard to defense, which a savvy human player can easily exploit. Hence the reason I have kept it on a low level for Cradle - though I think I could also get away with a higher level of Frenzy in Cradle.

I believe that the success of Cradle though is a variety of things, rather than just the use of Frenzy - because all that Frenzy does is enable the AI to assemble forces and march them out - it does not force those units to attack (at least this is how BlueO says it works) You also have to bump up the numbers in Strategies.txt, because that is where the AI calculates the priorities for attacks and all the other things it does.

I also think that the AI is more aggressive when it is in a position of strength (it has a stronger military, better production and so forth), so I also bumped up the numbers in diffDB.txt (the difficulty settings file) which Dale also did for the Apolyton Pack.

But try some of this out on your own setup - and report back your findings. Generally, I am hearing scattered reports that Cradle is the most aggressive Mod out there - but playtesting is based of a variety of conditions (such as starting positions/difficulty levels/number odf civs/barb settings) and the results will differ from game to game, so I do not know how much I can read into the reports.

And I do not get the reports back that Wes or Dale gets from their work either as those mods have a wider audience too.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 1, 2001, 19:00   #9
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
The files I borrowed from Cradle were the strategy and risk files, and a few others. This was so I could get some violence into the MOD. The strategies.txt file is unmodified. The risk.txt I had to downgrade a little because the AI couldn't handle the early barbs without the benefit of militia units. However, the AI in Apolyton Pack is agressive. For example, in one game I watched an AI take out over 10 cities of its neighbour from Renaic to Modern age. He was using stacks of 10-12 with a good mix of infantry/flanking/ranged units. Best I've ever seen from an AI anyways.