Old August 1, 2001, 12:26   #1
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Have i reached the max number of units?
CTP2 had so much problems when played right out of the box that force us to download Mods. It is impossible after getting this mods not to learn a little about CTP2 modmaking. I even created my own modifications. One of features of it is the number of units. After include the medmod units + new Elite Units + Wonder Units + new units i created myself, I reached a total of about 145 units. While playing it i noticed every time i got the Bronze Working wich i was supose to get the Swordsman Unit I did not got it.

I tried to check the every possible file that could be causing this problem. I did not find a thing . What is the stranger part is that the Swordsman is a unit i got from MM2 and i did not change it at all.

I noticed that the problem also happened with the warrior another Attack unit. I was thiking it was a problem with the Category Attack units. But the others Attack units are ok.

My theory is that i reached the max number of units you can add!
Does anyone know if there is such max number?
I'll will will start decreasing the number of units to see what will happen. And yes, the swordsman appear in the Cheat Mode unit screen.

If anyone else have another suggestion on what is causing that I am all ears.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 1, 2001, 18:17   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 13:00
You can include 200 unit sprites maximum, but there *should* be no upper limit on actual units, I don't know anyone who found one, and I'm pretty sure I put over 150 into CTP...

I would check for CantBuild lines, wierd enabling (and obsoleting advances) and if you have any SLIC included, look for a
Code:
CanCityBuildUnit
line, and take it out.

Ooh, How many units have you enabled with Bronze Working? I know an advance which enables more than four other advances caused a crash, maybe its the same with units?

One more thing, when you say
Quote:
+ new units i created myself
Did you actually make the new sprites? There are too few people who make unit sprites
Old August 1, 2001, 21:54   #3
Pedrunn
King

You really have that much units. I was almost sure that my max number of units reached theory was right since i deleted some units and the swordsman appeared in the menu. But not a sight of the warrior .

I will do some more testing. And i'll check the Bronze working number of units.

i cant make sprites, I just get some from CTP1 and the ones in the Apolyton (the site) files.
AnyWay, have you seen the BlueO's Mech units. It says no animations but the do have it. And they are amazing!!! Better than the ones from the CTP2's designers. I cannot believe i didnt ever heard about them.
Sorry i had to share this info with someone .
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 1, 2001 at 21:59.
Old August 2, 2001, 07:17   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:00
I guess you started a new game after you modified the game. If you load a saved game with more units than it was saved you will get such problems, but as I remember such problems are a little bit more serious.

-Martin
Old August 2, 2001, 07:57   #5
Pedrunn
King

I'm pretty sure it is not the Advance thing. since i fixed the swodsman i start focusing in the warrior and i delete all the things enabled by its advance(tool Making) and still it does not appear. I could delete the warrior what i want to but my fear is this problem happennig with others unit during the game.

Martin, that not it, because when you load a game after deleting a unit (for example) all the units that appear right after this one in the unit.txt drops a position (to fill the blank space left by deleted unit). And i'm sure that is not it too.

I will continue deleting the units i most dislike (I already made a list). And see what happen.
Thanks Anyway
-Jean Rostand
Old August 2, 2001, 15:56   #6
Pedrunn
King

AAAAArgh!!! I already deleted 9 units(re-arranging the others units to keep the Age unit equality) and nothing from the warrior!

I will just delete it like i said, start a new game and see if any others unit has also disapeared.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 2, 2001, 17:19   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Could you post a zip of your units.txt, newsprite.txt and gl_str.txt, as well as any other SLIC you added please? I am really interested and puzzled over this one
Old August 2, 2001, 22:21   #8
Pedrunn
King

Here it is. I Those are all the files i changed about the units before i started the deleting: units.txt , uniticon.txt , newsprit.tst , updater.slc , slc_chris.slc , gl_str.txt , scen.txt and worderunits.slc
I only put the gl_str because you asked for but the only thing i changed in it was the govs names. The slc_chris is the Elite Unit code i borrow from MedMod, the updater is the unit updater, the Wonderunits i think you know what it is . Although none of then has nothing to do with the Warrior.

PS: And the AS before the files are there because i use modswaper to load my changes.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip units.zip (62.8 KB, 4 views)
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; August 2, 2001 at 22:34.
Old August 3, 2001, 07:07   #9
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I think I've found it...

I suspected the problem was in the Elite units code, as it is the only thing that bans certain units.

The lines
Code:
	for(i = 0;i < 125;i = i + 1) {
		unitOwner[i] = ANYCIV;
	}
in AS_SLC_Chris.slc mean that the first 125 units can be built by anyone. As you have 145 (?) units in the mod, you will need to change that number to however many you do now have. That way, their owners will become ANYCIV, and any civ can build them.

Some more points
You might need to delete the // from the first line in AS_SLC_Chris.slc, as it was removed for inclusion in Wouter's SLC file (in the MedMod2) That's this one:
Code:
//int_t unitOwner[];
If you get an error with it.

Then in the updater.slc file, the last array you filled in is numbered 22 again, whereas it should be 27.

If there is a problem with the wonderunits code clashing with the elite units code, just tell me, because they both use the same function, and the WU one will need changing. I had the same problem with the OCC scenario... but anyway...

Looks like a great mod Good Luck
Old August 3, 2001, 09:12   #10
Pedrunn
King

20 units were going to disappear. Almost everyone i create
For sure i was going to loose my mind I had not seen this line.

Thanks IW for being so considerating with my problem. It kinds of make me feel more comfortable with the community. And I was begginnig to feel worried that all my effort in this mod was lost.
I will change this line and I start a new game to see what happens.

PS: I did not notice any problem neither with the Elite Unit . nor with the wonder unit (Great idea anyway, i only start a expansion with one of them ).
Just the Elite messages arent showing up(small bug), but i guess it is because i changed the MM2_scen.txt to AS_scen.txt. The rest is ok. I can try to fix myself.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 3, 2001, 09:44   #11
Pedrunn
King

Wooooooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!

It worked! It Worked !! It Worked !!!

Thank you, IW. I wouldnt know what to do without you.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 3, 2001, 11:28   #12
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Thanks IW for being so considerating with my problem. It kinds of make me feel more comfortable with the community.
Not a problem at all There are some communities where you just get newbiefied and everyone is nasty and unhelpful for weeks until you get to be known. Apolyton was always friendly to me, so I'll be friendly to everyone else

Quote:
Thank you, IW. I wouldnt know what to do without you
Someone else would have helped perhaps