Old August 2, 2001, 17:39   #1
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Experienced Workers?
Lets say that it takes 10 turns for a worker to irrigate something. So after he makes 15 irrigations it will take him only 9 turns.

Nothing really important, but adds a little bit interest and complexity to the game.

(the numbers can be different of course)
Old August 2, 2001, 18:08   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 07:02
Interesting concept. I like the idea a lot. Also, if they're gonna put in great military leaders in the game and maybe great artists, why not great builders? to speed up terraforming.

How would they get veteranship though, random? Number of jobs? Number of years existence?
Old August 2, 2001, 18:14   #3
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 13:02
How about certain terrain upgrades that only can be built by experienced builders? More advanced things lika fortesses, canals etc.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 2, 2001, 18:43   #4
down th' pub
Warlord

Local Time: 12:02
Re: How do they get Veteranship?

Combat experience, obviously.

Old August 2, 2001, 19:49   #5
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:02
Not a bad idea. Now where's that damn civ4 forum....
Old August 2, 2001, 20:08   #6
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
Not a bad idea. Now where's that damn civ4 forum....
Yeah... This is what annoys me the most.
Old August 2, 2001, 20:29   #7
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I like the idea, but as down th'pub points out, you need combat experience to get veteran workers.

So perhaps veteran workers could come about after a lot of experience at terraforming, eg, after so many terrain improvements build, there would be a chance of him being 'promoted' on each further terraform. It would be slow, but as the game goes along and these units accrue experience, there is a greater chance that they become veterans...not a bad idea eh?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 2, 2001, 20:50   #8
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
Public works
The speed of public works does not depend on the experience of the workers but the ratio of public works employees to shovels. The more workers you have leaning on shovels the slower your work is going to go. Also, under governments such as monarachy or despotism where workers are going to get a beating for shirking then work will proceed very quickly. After the discovery of trade unions the speed of public works is going to slow down tremendously. Hey, let's have a little realism in the game.
Old August 2, 2001, 20:53   #9
Provost Harrison
Deity

Civ3 doesn't use the public works model, it uses workers

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 2, 2001, 22:18   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i dont think we're talking about VERTERAN WORKERS as much as we are talking about, EXPIERENCED WORKERS.

your first time digging an irrigation ditch will go a bit slower than your 400th.
Old August 2, 2001, 22:20   #11
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

I like this idea. It always aggravated me that the settler(or engineer) that I had for ages took the same time to build something as a new one.
Old August 3, 2001, 03:07   #12
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:02
I also like this concept.
Old August 3, 2001, 05:37   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
I think an experience model for workers is cool. First you start off with "regulars," who can only do certain things at normal speed. After they have completed so many turns of works they become "veterans," who can build more advanced structures. They also do the regular stuff at an accelarated speed. The next level up are "crack," and the final level is "elite." These guys can build all kinds of things and dig ditches like demons
Old August 3, 2001, 05:43   #14
Provost Harrison
Deity

This could work, although it is a bit late to implement it in Civ3. Perhaps we are ready for a Civ4 suggestions forum

Old August 3, 2001, 06:42   #15
fittstim
Warlord

Oh yes!!!

Experienced workers are more efficient. No doubt about it. But why would they need combat experience in order to dig a ditch better? Any why does a caravan need to be attacked (and survive) in order to earn more gold when it reaches it's destination?

Workers should become experienced based on the number of turns that they have existed (and been utilized). The same should be true about military units.

It's terrible when all of your veteren legionaires (6a/3d) suddenly become non-vet musketeers (3a/3d). And the only way to make them veteren is to have them get attacked or to kill them and make new ones. Why not allow veteren status after, for example, 10 turns of existance in a city with a barrack. With only one unit being able to take advantage of this option every 10 turns.
Old August 3, 2001, 06:44   #16
fittstim
Warlord

Oh yeah. And after the first successful caravan/freight trade route, the city should have a 50% chance to produce a veteren trade-unit for the 2nd unit and automatically produce a veteren trade-unit when it has produced three or more.
Old August 3, 2001, 06:50   #17
Provost Harrison
Deity

Caravans are out now Fittstim, read something about the new trade system. So this option isn't really relevent.

Old August 3, 2001, 09:14   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

As for the worksers, I believe damage should also be taken in account. Now that units have health, I believe that a half-dead worker should worm slower - how fast can you work when wounded?
Old August 3, 2001, 10:18   #19
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Civ3 doesn't use the public works model, it uses workers
I wasn't using public works as a game term.
Old August 3, 2001, 10:49   #20
Grumbold
Emperor

Workers do get experienced - they upgrade to engineers.
Old August 3, 2001, 11:03   #21
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
Nah, not in our sense.

Engineers are an entirely different unit type.
Old August 3, 2001, 11:22   #22
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
Hmm well i think the idea of veteran workers seems a bit too much.

Wouldn't it be better to have to kind of units for this?

One more ordinary and quite cheap unit that can do most of the general tasks and a expensive special unit that can do the more advanced stuff like terraforming projects etc that at the same time could do the general stuff at a faster rate.

Another thing I would like are Combat Engineers. I now and then want to build roads, railroads and such at the frontline to speed up and improve my logistics (Achtung Panzer!) but those settlers and engineers are so weak... Better yet make it possible to do some improvements with ordinary footsoldiers, they should be able to build roads and railroads. how hard can it be?
Old August 3, 2001, 12:20   #23
Eli
Emperor

Talking about terraforming in combat, I hope that we will be able to pillage stuff using catapults. In my current game I used suicider horsemans to cut roads to city I conquered since it was right in the middle of the AI empire and hordes of chariots were attacking me every turn. I was too lazy to conquer the whole empire.
Old August 3, 2001, 12:37   #24
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by fittstim
It's terrible when all of your veteren legionaires (6a/3d) suddenly become non-vet musketeers (3a/3d). And the only way to make them veteren is to have them get attacked or to kill them and make new ones. Why not allow veteren status after, for example, 10 turns of existance in a city with a barrack. With only one unit being able to take advantage of this option every 10 turns.
One of the list ideas was for a city/terrain improvement (like "training grounds" or something) that would slowly build up the experience of units camped in them, or to allow barracks to slowly build up the experience for units camped in barracks-equipped cities. MOO2 used this idea with the Space Academy: units produced on a planet with a Space Academy gained one level of experience (from Green to Trained), and if the ships remained in orbit around the Space Academy then they would slowly build up experience until they became Veteran (or Elite, if you were a Warlord race). You could also have leaders who were Instructors, and ships orbiting a planet with an Instructor governor would gain experience based on the governor's skill at Instruction.

Who knows if this made it into Civ III, though.
Old August 3, 2001, 18:23   #25
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

I agree with this idea as well.
Old August 3, 2001, 18:37   #26
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
This could work, although it is a bit late to implement it in Civ3. Perhaps we are ready for a Civ4 suggestions forum
Actually it is not too late to add such an idea. From a programming standpoint, the ideas in this thread would be fairly easy to add to even a finished game.
Old August 3, 2001, 19:15   #27
Eli
Emperor

Let's start sending lots of email to the Firaxians.