Yes 12 54.55%
No 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5, 2001, 21:17   #31
General Maximus
Prince

Local Time: 07:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
eyes plays people, and sometimes doesn't tell them who he is.

when i wanna play for a few hours, i sometimes hotjoin a game in progress, they don't know who you are....

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)
Old August 5, 2001, 23:51   #32
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 04:03
We're really stretching now....unless Sen. McCarthy has something to add,I think we're done here.
Old August 6, 2001, 06:01   #33
Smash
Emperor

The entire submission which includes 9 saves is available here
Old August 6, 2001, 18:54   #34
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:03
Quote:
Originally posted by oedo
probably 9 of 10 players cheat in their single games by reloading huts or revealing the map in the beginning.
I never have , I must be the odd one out but why do you need to cheat against the AI.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old August 6, 2001, 19:28   #35
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 22:03
Gee touchy
Quote:
Originally posted by General Maximus
Eyes-you wanted the opinion of the readers of the multiplayer forums? you wanted the opinions of your "peers". then this topic belongs here.
his peers are at Civ General too, he and statgeyking and other like that are continoulsy posting SP game results here. This is for MP games not SP games
Quote:
Rasputin- in all the threads i've read, and all the posts you've made, you haven't really said anything. you are the little 12 year old kid
gee wish i was 12 again
Quote:
at the party chiming in when you want to hear your own voice. if seeing your name amuses you, build a web page. Ming does not need your opinion on what belongs where, so comment on this topic or do not reply. it is that simple. you are off-topic, you need to make sence, and comment on the topic. YOU make posts, to make posts. i make posts when i have something to say.
As i stated above, this forum is for MP games, not for checking whether somene cheated a t SP. There are forums for SP and the "EXPERTS" post there regularly and would be able to make better decision as to whether this guy cheated or not.

As to your comments as to ALL my posts being useless that is your opinion, but I to the people I play MP games with and in those threads my posts are informative and fun.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old August 6, 2001, 20:23   #36
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Well Ras... while you are welcome to your opinion, I'll make the call

It belongs in this forum for historical reasons
Old August 6, 2001, 21:31   #37
SunTzu
Prince

Local Time: 12:03
Uh....................
..................Right.............
Old August 7, 2001, 08:39   #38
Species8472
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
The location of "advanced tribes" would concern me. They almost never have a resource in the city radius, and most usually are set to avoid them. A game with advanced tribes showing decent resources would concern me...
quite the contrary. In fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find an advanced tribe that has no special in it. If you cant see a special in the city radius, the special(s) are hidden under grassland. Advanced tribes have ALWAYS specials in it. that is something i can say with 100% certainty.
Old August 7, 2001, 10:36   #39
General Maximus
Prince

i apologize ras, i was having a bad day

but, ming even posted in this thread already, why would he need you to tell him where it belongs?

we had this same problem in the HS-Gameleague forums, if the topic wasn't about gameleague, it got moved to off-topic forums. where it was lost in "why do my feet smell, and my nose runs" threads.

if you post a topic in a specific forum, i would think you would want the regular readers of THAT forum, to reply to it.

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)
Old August 7, 2001, 11:17   #40
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

hehehehe.
That's what got me my trip to the Greek Compound.
Old August 7, 2001, 12:16   #41
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Species8472

quite the contrary. In fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find an advanced tribe that has no special in it. If you cant see a special in the city radius, the special(s) are hidden under grassland. Advanced tribes have ALWAYS specials in it. that is something i can say with 100% certainty.
I learn something new everyday. Thank you. I'll have to test it.
Interested in any possible advantage of knowing this in a MP games.

RAH
Old August 7, 2001, 13:25   #42
Species8472
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

I learn something new everyday. Thank you. I'll have to test it.
Interested in any possible advantage of knowing this in a MP games.

RAH
it's a waste of time to test the validation of my statement, it is the simple trueth. all you need to do to see it, is make a map with only forrest on it. you will see that the hut pattern is related to the specials pattern. it is impossible to find a hut where there is no special in the radius also. therefor all advanced tribes (huts) have specials in the radius.
Old August 7, 2001, 17:43   #43
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:03
Re: Hmmmm...
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
Well, *this* is an interesting twist. Shadowdale says he did not play Eyes, yet Eyes has a game file. I don't know what to make of that. Perhaps someone else does?
If anyone has this alleged file, please PM me.
Shadowdale gave me his password, the only one he uses in the few MP games he's played, and it can be verified weather he played Eyes or not.
Old August 8, 2001, 00:56   #44
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
probably 9 of 10 players cheat in their single games by reloading huts or revealing the map in the beginning. so statistically he cheated
Huh? No way! I can see 1 or 2 people out of 10 doing that, but no where near 9 out of 10. The whole point of playing is to be challenged, whats the point of cheating yourself?

Yup, I too learned something, mine those grass squares that fit the specials' patterns.

Last edited by Berzerker; August 8, 2001 at 01:04.
Old August 8, 2001, 05:23   #45
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Species8472, ah, just the pattern.
I knew there was a relationship but, I read into it that an advanced tribe wouldn't appear if there wasn't a special, not that there was a special in range of every hut. Yes that makes sense.

RAH
Getting old is fun, every day is a new adventure.
Old August 8, 2001, 18:00   #46
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 13:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
I never have , I must be the odd one out but why do you need to cheat against the AI.
I admit, I cheated alot against the AI. I cheated in my first game and I cheated when I first won on deity.
why? believe it or not but it helped me to understand the game. I wouldn´t play half as good if I hadn´t.
and I cheated for you. or who do you think would have detected the secret of the oedo years? no way without cheating
meanwhile I don´t cheat anymore because I don´t play with the AI. but if I would, I´d certainly cheat again
Old August 8, 2001, 20:04   #47
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:

Well, OK, but I was talking about revealed specials; ones that you can use at the start. Resources that require changing the terrain are too expensive at first and aren't much use until you have spare engineers.
Old August 8, 2001, 20:12   #48
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Grassland Specials
Oh, I see that mining is all that is required. That's interesting to know, and thank you.

I still think it would be better to devolve the advanced city into a settler and move it to match the revealed specials if the city doesn't show any to start with. You need a settler to mine with anyway.
Old August 18, 2001, 06:50   #49
kittenOFchaos
Prince

He finished the game in 2020 A.D...AND you don't expect an enormous score.

What puzzles this kitten is how he invents things so quickly if he is supposed to be using republic to bring out money to bribe things...I can't see any way to invent every tech by 1000 A.D and no-one has provided enough enlightenment

I can copy anything...tell me your secrets!

Old August 18, 2001, 13:57   #50
Smash
Emperor

well,it not as though he spends the entire game with taxes maxed.

Caravans/freights usually play a major role in highscore games.Commodities and food.

all tech by 1000ad is not a "Holy @#$%" achievement.Its good but not totally awesome.Once you are setup you can get numerous techs per turn.This game he has around 61000 science beakers per turn at the end.1/6 of that would ensure multiple techs per turn.5000 is plenty for at least 2 per turn.He got to that level fairly early.Add in bonus from trading and it is more than possible.

Expand,expand,expand.

We have players landing solo games in the early ADs now.Pre 500ad that is...
Old August 21, 2001, 04:02   #51
Willem_van_Oranje
Settler

he didn't cheat, Eyes shut up
Now I know Shadowdale, and I know he did not cheat. It seems to me like you, Eyes, are jaleous or something. You can't stop talking about this, neither here nor at CFC. You only uploaded 1 savegame, of the nine Shadowdale had. Besides, multiplayer is something totally different than playing against the AI. Shadowdale says he didn't play you, unless you want to say you are Thunderfall or Vladimir_Illyich_Lenein. But I don't think so. Just shut up Eyes.
Old August 21, 2001, 13:33   #52
The End
Settler

Local Time: 21:03
Look, he didn't cheat. Shadowdale is a highly-regarded member of CFC, and a proven expert in high-scoring SP games. He has never demonstrated anything but deep understanding of how the game works, unlike Eyes, who continuously embarrasses himself by arguing about that which he knows nothing about--namely SP games.

A state of famine while using a massive number of food caravans? Please. Try it yourself before calling someone a cheat. THe point is to manage your famine so that points are maximized as your SS lands. Smash is absolutely right about the use of caravans and expert trade-tweaking, as his OCC experience would reveal. You, Eyes, I doubt could even manage to hold a workable democracy. No defending units in many cities? THey're not needed, even in raging horde on deity. Why build Leo's if it's obsolete? Because this game was about points that's why. I could go on point by point, but I'll just say that no valid 'proof' has yet been raised.

THe only possibility that remains is the save/reload cheat. But I say consider this: This game was about Shadowdale testing himself, his own limitations. He has no need to cheat. He was already rightly regarded as the best SP player--as far as scoring goes--at CFC. Why would he waste months of his life except for personal motivations? Is that a concept you can even understand, Eyes?

MP'ers are always going on about how playing against the AI is predictable and easy. How then can you turn around and accuse someone of winning easily? C'mon.

I have no idea how many out there cheat against the AI and I couldn't care less. BUt if you're in that category and thus find it hard to believe that perceived limitations can be pushed 'legally,' let me tell you now: You are not truly improving your game by humming and hawing and lying to yourselves. Shadowdale did not cheat, and such a game is entirely possible. In fact, knowing him, I'd say it was inevitable that he'd be the one to have achieved it.

The End.
(aka goodbye_mr_bond @ CFC)
Old August 21, 2001, 14:04   #53
drake
King

Am I the only one who could really care less if he cheated or not

Does having civ bragging rights really mean that much to people?
Old August 21, 2001, 14:12   #54
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

With all due respect Smash, that's the worst damn avatar I've seen yet.

All this debate, and has anyone seen or heard from Eyes lately?
Has a hurricane blown him out to sea?
He is in Florida, after all. Well, was.
He may be in New Foundland by now.
Old August 21, 2001, 14:53   #55
Smash
Emperor

Oh he is probably hatching up some master scheme.

Hasselhoff..he is very big in Germany.I could go back to Fabio....

Shadowdale was nice enough to leave lots of room to beat his score.Most of his cities are "only" in 70s.50 more citizens in 250+ cities....lots of room..

Maybe that is what Eyes is doing....
Old August 21, 2001, 16:01   #56
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Advanced tribes have ALWAYS specials in it. that is something i can say with 100% certainty.
There is a rule about this I read in another thread that goes something like this

Every hut has a special 2 movements in the 9 or 1 direction on the keyboard away, whether it is seen or not.

I don't remember who came up with it but I do find it very handy
Old August 22, 2001, 09:20   #57
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash
Oh he is probably hatching up some master scheme.

Hasselhoff..he is very big in Germany.I could go back to Fabio....

Shadowdale was nice enough to leave lots of room to beat his score.Most of his cities are "only" in 70s.50 more citizens in 250+ cities....lots of room..

Maybe that is what Eyes is doing....
I forgot about the Fabio one.
Never mind, Hasselhoff is just great by comparison.
Old August 22, 2001, 11:26   #58
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I doubt he cheated. (you never know on the hut reset thing, but they're right, what's the point)

When ming and I were torturing ourselves many many moons ago working on high score, we were pretty close to his score. Checking their list, we would currently be 2 and 3. I'm sure ming could have topped his but we were both bored so silly by that time that we just launched to get it over with. So I'm sure his score is possible.

I don't see it as an accomplishment, but an exercise in tediousness. If ming and I weren't doing it just to give each other ****, we would have stopped way early. This type of accomplishment says nothing about a persons ability to play the game, but rather the ability to tolerate punishment.

I do find it funny that they sent a few people over here to defend him. I guess they worship this type of record and see it as a badge of honor. How silly. Play against a real opponent...MP

RAH
Old August 22, 2001, 14:19   #59
Smash
Emperor

no....more like if someone is willing to do this much work(pointless as it may be) they deserve better than what Eyes and some of the gameleague brats gave him.

You 2(Rah and Ming) know for yourselves what this type of game looks like.Why didn't you say something?
Old August 22, 2001, 15:02   #60
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hold on a moment...
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I do find it funny that they sent a few people over here to defend him. I guess they worship this type of record and see it as a badge of honor. How silly. Play against a real opponent...MP

RAH
"They" did nothing of the kind, Rah.

Eyes got his butt banned at CFC and took his bull-sh1t here, and tried to embarris a CFC member HERE.

I'm sure you realize that I post at both, so I was hardly "sent".

I'm surprised it took so long for Poly members (like you, for instance) to point out that the guy didn't cheat.

Of course high scores are pedantic, but then so is mocking and deriding someone who has nothing to do with Apolyton in a two+ page thread, when it was obvious from the get-go that no cheating was involved.

Says a lot about some people, wouldn't you say?