Old August 3, 2001, 16:40   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 13:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good looking empire is not only about graphics
Nice looking map-grapics are - well, nice. But the tile-graphics are also easily replaceable. Im sure there will be alternative map-modpacks available for download a couple of months after the final release-date. Also, we dont know yet if the current map-graphics really represent the final version.

Another (and in my view more important) map-related "good looks" problem however, is A: Polypheus concerns about the Infinite Road & Railroad Sprawl, and B: my own concerns about the AI:s lack of emhasize on trying to establish AI coastal-cities along the coastal shores first and foremost (up to a point), then working inwards, in order to exploit the available landarea more effectively.

THIS SCREENSHOT seems to be many civers current "hate-object", and it sure is a good example of above two problems as well.

Last edited by Ralf; August 3, 2001 at 17:03.
Old August 3, 2001, 16:43   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:04
You see the new screenshots at Gamespot? If not check out the new news item.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 3, 2001, 17:00   #3
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
You see the new screenshots at Gamespot? If not check out the new news item.
Perhaps it is screenshots of the players empire - not the AI. Also, considering the small size of the cities, I assume that it represent relatively early stages of the game. Show me some endgame screenshots of AI-empires instead, that seems to minimize above two problems.Until then, Im not that convinced.
Old August 3, 2001, 18:33   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:04
Hopefully the city-management screen looks like the one from Civ II and not the horribly dark and misplaced mess that Test of Time's was.

-Just listing suggestions...
Old August 3, 2001, 19:20   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
Are they going to anything about those roads going so awfully over the mountains?
Old August 3, 2001, 19:28   #6
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Are they going to anything about those roads going so awfully over the mountains?
This is one of the cornerstones of the pessimist view of the game but as an optimist im quite sure they will look real nice, at least as good as SMAC and most likely better.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 3, 2001, 19:33   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
This is one of the cornerstones of the pessimist view of the game but as an optimist im quite sure they will look real nice, at least as good as SMAC and most likely better.
That's a relief The pessimist club starts to appeal once I dared to actually look at the screenshots but I think I'll keep my neutral stance.
Honestly, if they go like that in the final version I'm not buying. Hefck, I'll buy it anyway, I just won't build roads...
There was and insteresting thread about the infinite RR-track covers all yer land- system... *checks out*
Old August 4, 2001, 00:51   #8
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
, I just won't build roads...
One can always "just dont build so much of them", of course. But the problem is that building roads & railroads (at least roads) one each and every cityarea-tile is ONLY beneficial. So avoiding covering all end-game cityarea-tiles with roads, and most cityarea-tiles with RR:s, can currently only be done at great sacrifice. Also; the AI-civs build much them, so your are more or less forced to do the same.

It should be much more of a mixed blessing. I suggested the following enhanced counter-measures to be added:

- Railroads should now ONLY boost shield-output from mined hills & special resource-tiles.
No benefits on other tile-types; neither trade, food or shield ones. The increased movement-benefit is worthwhile enough in order to encourage the player to RR-connect all his cities, plus perhaps adding some strategical shortcuts & RR-knots as well, for more effective war mobilisations and more secure domestic resource-trade. RR-connected cities gets a mutual trade-bonus, and once ALL of your cities have been RR-connected you perhaps get some further bonus as well.

- Make roads through irrigated tiles a slighly mixed blessing:
No roads through irrigated tiles means that the max 50% increased food-output can be maintained. Building roads through irrigated tiles means only 25% food-increase, but you get instead the increased 50% trade-benefit. The benefits from late-game super-highways & supermarket city-improvements (if still there) and also the improved farmland terrain-improvement, should only further emphazise above difference.

Last edited by Ralf; August 4, 2001 at 00:57.