Old August 5, 2001, 19:47   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Timed Turn Civ III Multiplayer
This should be an option for Civ III to allow civ III multiplayer games to progress fast, perhaps one game in an hour.

Thus the games would be faster paced and decisions would have to be make quickly!
Old August 5, 2001, 19:50   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:09
How would you accomplish this? Online? I always thought that online was a nonexistantly supported option with TBS
I don't think that's a good idea, maybe three hours. If there are about 400 turns, that's way to little time per turn, especially in late game.
Old August 5, 2001, 20:04   #3
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 13:09
Im all for this as an option, especially useful when you get the knack of everything and everything goes real speedy with shortcuts-keys and all.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 5, 2001, 20:42   #4
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Timed turns and simultaneous moves will be a part of multiplayer, but in reality it doesn't significantly reduce play time (at best ~15%). Often MP games take longer anyways because of having to coordinate multiple play sessions with multiple people, not to mention disconnects and restarts. For the average customer winning a solo civ3 game by space race, on default settings, can't really happen in one sitting. MP is the same way. We've got a pretty different approach to simul-move, and features like alliance simultaneous moves will reduce game time even more. The SMAC favorite of dynamically increasing turn timers will be present as well.

While these areas of MP aren't being ignored, most new stuff will be in turn based. Civ3 is a turn based game at it's heart, and we believe it can be a great internet game without ignoring or sidestepping that fact.

Jeff
Old August 5, 2001, 20:43   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

How about this then:

4000-2000BC- 3 Minutes
1999-0 AD- 6 Minutes
1-1000 AD- 10 Minutes
1001-1300 AD- 15 Minutes
1301-1600 AD- 25 Minutes
1601-1800 AD- 35 Minutes
1801-2000 AD- 45 Minutes
2001-2050 AD- 55 Minutes
Old August 5, 2001, 20:55   #6
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Timed turns and simultaneous moves will be a part of multiplayer, but in reality it doesn't significantly reduce play time (at best ~15%).
This sounds good. Hopefully it will reduce play time more, however

Quote:

While these areas of MP aren't being ignored, most new stuff will be in turn based. Civ3 is a turn based game at it's heart, and we believe it can be a great internet game without ignoring or sidestepping that fact.

Jeff
Well, this sounds good. Besides, I've never played Civ II Multiplayer
The only MP games I've played are Starcraft and Total Annihilation!

-Thank you for posting on Apolyton and for posting a response, we appreciate it
Old August 6, 2001, 04:31   #7
Footie Mad
Prince

Well they have said that they are bringing something totally new to multiplayer so, in Firaxis we trust. Nice knowing someone from Firaxis takes the time to answer some questions
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 6, 2001, 05:01   #8
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:09
Quote:
Timed turns
I'm glad timed turns are in but shouldn't be a given that they will be in the game? Considering they were in Civ2MGE.

With this info. it seems that MP not coming as an expansion is diffenent.

Quote:
The SMAC favorite of dynamically increasing turn timers will be present as well.
This will really help things out a lot.

Something that if implemented correctly could be a great addition into MP, pre-turn unit orders. So lets say you are waiting for your turn and you know that you want your legion to move to x tile you move you give your unit the order to move to x tile. This could be done by simply doing it the same way you would when it's your turn. When it then becomes your turn the unit will automatically move to x space. It's just a thought.

The more you can plan when it's not your turn the less amount of time your turn will take. Something that adds to this goal is city build ques, which thankfully will be in Civ3.

Oh yeah, thanks for posting Jeff. Could you give us any more insight in when the Civ3 site will be up? Possibly a more precise date, such as sometime this week, next week, not saying soon or sometime in the near future. That would be nice, thanks.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 6, 2001, 09:18   #9
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
Timed turns and simultaneous moves will be a part of multiplayer, but in reality it doesn't significantly reduce play time (at best ~15%). Often MP games take longer anyways because of having to coordinate multiple play sessions with multiple people, not to mention disconnects and restarts. For the average customer winning a solo civ3 game by space race, on default settings, can't really happen in one sitting. MP is the same way. We've got a pretty different approach to simul-move, and features like alliance simultaneous moves will reduce game time even more. The SMAC favorite of dynamically increasing turn timers will be present as well.

Jeff
that is interesting

maybe it only felt much faster using simultaneous turns

it would be interesting to know the phsycology of that

I agree that I found SMAC better ballanced in TBS rather than Simu

Jon Miller
Old August 6, 2001, 13:13   #10
cyborgasm
Settler

Quote:
features like alliance simultaneous moves
, i don't play Civ 2 MP, but this sounds new doesn't it? Could this mean that in an alliance, you and your partner can actually controll each other's peices? That would be cool.
Old August 6, 2001, 13:39   #11
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Quote:
Well, this is great news. I'm just champing at the bit wondering what the "new stuff" will be....
Old August 6, 2001, 20:35   #12
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

it would having special ally player simultaneous turns.. helping you coordinate troop movements and attacks by seeing what each others doing as it happens.

It would be interesting if this could happen with enemies too, so if an enemy cavalry emerges and moves next to your city you can retaliate before it attacks in that same move.. That would solve one of the main combat problems in civ - maybe in Civ4 tho.
You could also use this in single player, just allow units in sleep mode to be moved during an enemies turn if something comes into range of them,
your unit could just run away, or usefully if its a fighter jet attacking soldiers near your base your plane in standby sleep mode could wake up and you could use it to fly over the soldiers to attempt to defend them in air (not able to attack though as they are at a disadvantage as doing a emergency manoeuvre etc)

Admiral Pete author of Mantra and the 3d Voxel graphics engine QM
Old August 7, 2001, 08:18   #13
Daniel Frappier
Prince

Jeff,

Did any of you guys ever played tournament Chess ?

I guess not because it got a great time system that would be extremely beneficial to Civ III.

Any unused time is carry over from turn to turn.

What is the big deal you might ask ? The big deal is that it lets you set a very fast time limit, then by saving a few seconds here and there you can accumulate a good deal of time that you can spend when you need it. example: to launch a full scale invasion.

It rewards good time management and was found to be the only way to go for chess. It is the most efficient way to have the player do a maximum of things in the minimum of time.
Old August 7, 2001, 09:23   #14
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Frappier
Jeff,

Did any of you guys ever played tournament Chess ?

I guess not because it got a great time system that would be extremely beneficial to Civ III.

Any unused time is carry over from turn to turn.

That is a great idea.
Old August 7, 2001, 10:46   #15
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 14:09
sorry Daniel F, I didn't get the point in that one... exactly WHAT makes you save time?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation. There must be one, i feven DarkCloud got the point
Old August 7, 2001, 13:05   #16
Daniel Frappier
Prince

I will give an example,

note: #of seconds by turns are given as an example, you might feel OK playing faster or slower but the same principle apply.

I played both Civ II MGE and CTP, they work well (for me) with something like 120 seconds/turn, you have an enjoyable and relax game and maybe take 90 seconds/turn on average. You can lower that limit to have a faster game but pretty soon you get to a turn were you have to conduct diplomacy, moves dozens of units, etc. and you are stuck sorry not enough time!! If you try to play at a fast rate maybe something like 40 seconds/turn it will be enough most of the turns but on some occasions not enough to carry out you're plans wich in my opinion ruins the game. So you have to get back to a more relax time limit. On the other if I had 40 seconds with carry over i could play most of my turns in 30-35 seconds and would be OK if a turn I need 120 seconds.

The principle is that it rewards you for playing fast but gaves you enough time to do everything you need to do.
Old August 7, 2001, 14:40   #17
JimMac
Prince

As another frequent player of multiplayer CIV II and CTP (and HOMM) on a home LAN system, I vote for Daniels carry over time system.

I would just like to add a couple of comments;
-The players timer would pause while a Wonder movie is shown.
-There should be an option to limit the maximum carry over time, so that, to take an extreme case, one player should not be able to build up say, half an hour of carry forward time to be used in a single turn.

In general though, I would like to be able to carry out as many game tasks as possible when it was not "my turn", including giving movement orders to units, PROVIDING this does not lead to the dreaded Re-sync problems evident in CTP.
Old August 7, 2001, 15:36   #18
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:09
Well, I don't really like the idea of simultaneous moves because it takes away from that TBS feel. I will be willing to try it, though. Daniel, I like that idea a lot. In fact that is the best idea I've heard for improving MP.

Quote:
i don't play Civ 2 MP, but this sounds new doesn't it? Could this mean that in an alliance, you and your partner can actually controll each other's peices? That would be cool
What this means is that if you're lets say the French and your ally is the Romans you two will be able to have your turn at the same time. You won't be able to control each other's 'pieces'. This will enable greater strategy for coordinate attacks with an ally.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 8, 2001, 03:55   #19
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 22:09
I think you guys are underplaying this. This is awesome!! Options are good. Simultaneous turns was identified as being something that people have deemed to be quite important in the various lists we've done on here. It's never going to replace the old TBS system that we love Civ for, but being able to choose simulataneous for a change is fantastic.

Consider me a happy camper.
Old August 8, 2001, 04:00   #20
ChrisShaffer
Prince

I want asynchronous simultaneous moves, where each player submits orders by a deadline and then the game engine runs the whole turn all at once and sends out turn reports. It's like PBEM, but you can run one (or two or even twelve) turns per day, instead of the usual PBEM snails pace of one-two turns per week.
Old August 9, 2001, 05:17   #21
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Thanks for letting us know Jeff
Quote:

Jeff
Its great to read you guys are taking multiplayer seriously

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 12, 2001, 09:41   #22
gibboso
Settler

simultaneous moves
I like the idea of simultaneous play ... i don't like to sit and wait too long. thant's why i usually don't play turn base games in MP .. which is a pity.
i get too ususally.

also simultaneous moves may account for some real stuff like guerrilla warfare

on the other side ... how are resolved conflicts ? ... moves are executed in turn based on civ score, maybe (the worst moves first or something like that) ?

I really hope you can it get fun with MP too!
Old August 13, 2001, 01:57   #23
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:09
What about a time limit on PBEM games?

If the person I am playing against does not play his turn in a day, why can't we have the game or a server play the turn and send it on to the next player. PBEM is the only MP I will probably play, I hope you considered a central server to store games that we would log on to get the game without cheating and would have to play the game within a certain time limit.
Old August 13, 2001, 02:57   #24
Alexander's Horse
Deity

multiplayer games hardly ever go the distance
One thing about mulitplayer games is they hardly ever go to spaceships or even to the modern period. The game is usually won or lost, or abandoned by then. The exception here is so-called "diplo" games.

Improving the pointscoring somehow would be a boon to multiplayer. That way people could get a decision even off a one session game - just look at the points. The powergraph in civ 2 is currently used for that but its not very accurate because its too heavily weighted to population and doesn't give scores as such.

On simult, it does speed up the game immeasurably during its early stages - combat is the big problem with it. Later in the game there are big time savings too but not as great!

Old August 13, 2001, 03:56   #25
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:09
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
What about a time limit on PBEM games?

If the person I am playing against does not play his turn in a day, why can't we have the game or a server play the turn and send it on to the next player. PBEM is the only MP I will probably play, I hope you considered a central server to store games that we would log on to get the game without cheating and would have to play the game within a certain time limit.
Yes! This is a brilliant idea! Would it be possible/feasible for Firaxis to do this, though?
Old August 13, 2001, 06:31   #26
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Re: multiplayer games hardly ever go the distance
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
One thing about mulitplayer games is they hardly ever go to spaceships or even to the modern period. The game is usually won or lost, or abandoned by then. The exception here is so-called "diplo" games.
perhaps firaxis should make MP civ3 more like Diplo then , seeing as that type of Civ 2 game usually lasts much longer...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old August 13, 2001, 08:02   #27
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Simult simult
I played one game, Third Reich or something, where all players programmed in their moves and then the moves were executed simultaneously in real time. That was neat, the game only stopped to resolve conflict, you could choose to fight, withdraw, whatever. The trouble was the game kept hanging.

Old August 13, 2001, 10:10   #28
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

how did it know if movement paths crossed , the timing of move sin simul can cause units to intercept or not depneding on which units the players move at which time
Old August 13, 2001, 11:52   #29
Daniel Frappier
Prince

Simultaneous Turns and other idea like that are great and might produce a very good game but it will not be Civ anymore.

For those wishing to play great Civ online how about my chess clock idea ?

Damm..if only Firaxis could see it.
Old August 13, 2001, 12:38   #30
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

No timers
I hate timers , and firmly bleeive they should never be used. Internet too riddled with LAG to allow timers to ruin a Great Game