Old August 6, 2001, 12:03   #1
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Best CRPG tht you've ever played
What is the best CRPG you've ever played, and why is it the best?

I can't really choose between Deus Ex and Fallout II.

Deus Ex had a fantastic skills system and was fun as hell to play. It also had an excellent storyline. Unfortunately, it was also very linear, and it was annoying that you couldn't kill certain people (since they were needed to advance the storyline).

Fallout II was funny as hell, had a solid non-linear story, and had lots of extras that kept me playing even after I'd beaten the game. However, I didn't like its skills system nearly as much as in other games (Perks were great but not very balanced).

(Note: I'm looking for some good CRPG's, so if you know where I can buy your favorite CRPG then by all means tell me.)
Old August 6, 2001, 14:40   #2
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 12:10
Easy, Wasteland, the RPG game that inspired fallout.
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old August 6, 2001, 21:54   #3
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:10
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is easily the best RPG I've played recently.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 6, 2001, 22:53   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:10
Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Both have a very solid story and interesting game play. The skill-based system is good, but they still use the outdated "hit point" system.
Old August 7, 2001, 04:54   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:10
what's a CRPG?
Old August 7, 2001, 09:21   #6
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Computer RolePlaying Game (a roleplaying game played on the computer or some other electronic medium).
Old August 7, 2001, 12:37   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I guess that should have been obvious. duh!

baldur's gate 2... so far
Old August 7, 2001, 12:44   #8
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
I only played 2 role-playing games on computers.... Zelda on the GameBoy and Lands OF Lore on the PC. I loved both, never got into any else.
Old August 8, 2001, 18:19   #9
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 15:10
I haven't played much of CRPG's, and no other RPG's but...

It's a tie.

On one side is UnReal World, an old, long and huge two men's project to create a believable iron age Finland environment. As it has been developed for so long, the UI is fast to use though not very easy to learn. Gameplay is tweaked a lot, and while it is a bit on the easy side, it is still much of fun. The game does not have any premade story, it is only about living. And that is what makes it unique.

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

On the other side is Planet's Edge, an even older and huger company project to create a sci-fi world that is really fun to play and not too easy. (although I think it is impossible to actually lose this game). It has a premade story, and is actually not very far from the everyday RPG. However, it is just.. so good . Besides, I have the Alpha Centauri III's music still playing in my head .

http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?Planet%27s+Edge
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Last edited by Ari Rahikkala; August 8, 2001 at 18:25.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:16   #10
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I've heard good things about Baldur's Gate, but I'm always wary of CRPG's that are based on pen-and-paper RPGs. Too often the CRPG makes its lack of customizability apparent by placing obvious restrictions on the player (usually by locking the player into a linear storyline, something which all CRPGs can fall prey too but which transferred CRPGs seem to do far more often).
Old August 9, 2001, 11:08   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:10
Another CRPG that's old but good is The Summoning. It's DOS based so you can probably find it on an abandonwares site. It has an unusual magic system and interesting plots, but the story is semi-linear. Excellent for its time, perhaps a bit dated now, though.

The other two I mentioned previously can probably be found at an abandonwares site too, since they are also both DOS-based
Old August 9, 2001, 23:23   #12
~ Ben Hur ~
Settler

Local Time: 22:10
I've just finished Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. VERY tough, but enjoyable.

I'm currently hacking my way through Icewind Dale. It's fun, but the linear structure and lack of side quests gets a bit frustrating.
Old August 22, 2001, 02:40   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:10
Since i havent played too many others, my vote goes to Deus Ex.

While the story was linear, there were so many different ways of playing this game - sneaking up and knocking the enemies out, or sniping, or running in with a machinegun, or even just sneaking past the enemies without them noticing you.
Old August 22, 2001, 03:18   #14
Moral Hazard
King

Fallout 2, Fallout, or Planescape.

I'm not really big into hack and slash, hence all the games I've cited center around interaction. I'm having a hard time getting into Baldur's Gate 2, mainly because you have to do a bit of fighting to start.

My favorite combat system is the one from fallout. Hell they made a tactical combat based on it so it's got to be good. Ultima's blew but that's never been where my emphasis was.

Skill based is definitely superior to classes, especially since most roleplaying games now center around one character instead of a party. Which is superior because it allows writers to build up your party member's personalities.

Honorable Mention:

Ultima 6, 7, and 7.5. (You pretty much had to be good, and 7.5's ending seemed rushed)
Final Fantasies (Ok thier console RPGS and a bit too linear)
Dark Sun 1
Wasteland (It was a bit old when I played it (95), plus you have to read out of printed manual for storyline.)

BTW did Arcanum get released today? 8/21 It was supposed to.

Last edited by Moral Hazard; August 28, 2001 at 23:47.
Old August 23, 2001, 22:05   #15
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Either of the Fallout games or Wasteland would be my picks...

Followed closely by:

Planescape: Torment
The Bard's Tale (any of 'em)
Legacy of the Ancients (IMHO this game is *highly* underrated)
Phantasy Star II (Genesis)
Shining Force Series (Genesis)
Sword of Vermilion (Genesis) -- it was gimmicky in some ways but still a very good game
Dragon Warrior (NES) -- just for nostalgia's sake

Even though I really, really loved Deus Ex, I 'm having a difficult time seeing it as an RPG. I was actually very surprised that the gaming press quickly embraced it as such instead of lumping it in with "those other FPS games"...

Arcanum will probably take a spot there on my list very soon...when I have time to play it more.

Dan
Old August 24, 2001, 10:44   #16
Rex Little
Prince

Ultima III
Ultima IV
Dark Sun 1
Old August 27, 2001, 04:06   #17
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

As an "Action RPG" guy, only Sword of Mana and Chrono Trigger have ever really captured my imagnation. Neither is really an RPG game as such, but then I hate the sort of over-complex story-destroying nonsense that most RPGs consist of. Simplicity, few if any deaths (at least against non-bosses), driving story and interesting level design keep me interested...

I always thought of the non-action RPG as the Adventure Game's poor, inarticulate cousin from the countryside. It's basically like an Adventure Game with a poorer story, crap graphics, ill-written dialogue, no sense of humour and lots of boring death/action sequences getting in the way of what's actually happening.
Old August 28, 2001, 04:35   #18
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I see a lot of dislike against class based systems. Why is that? It has its downpoints, but so does skill based systems.

I admit I like the classes in A D&D (with a few exceptions). That was their strong point. In fact, it was one of the few things of AD & D I liked.

Each system has its pros and cons. I like to play both types. It is not a major factor that determines if I like a rpg.
Old August 28, 2001, 23:43   #19
Moral Hazard
King

Snapcase:

The major advantage of RPG over an adventure game is the main character becomes you rather than you taking on the role of the main character. I'm not sure if what I said was clear but what I mean is that in a good RPG, your personality and what you want to be (the whole point of statistics in my opinion) is inferred on the main character, who with out you has no character.

In truth I've played scant few adventure games. But what I've played your character is already determined as is his path. For example you can hardly play The Longest Journey as an obstinate ass, who enjoys insulting every one who crosses his path, but this option is open in many good role playing games.. The most vexing thing about adventures is that to accomplish a task you have to do it a certain way. Where as in a good RPG you will often have a several solutions, in a really good one it allows for a logical emergent solution ( one not thought of by the designer). Not only does it offer different solutions to problems but the solution you chose can have effects later in the game; allowing an RPG to be both a good story teller and listener. The Adventure game is merely a good story teller (often a damn good one) but it’s his story and you merely follow it having very little control over the outcome or the soul of the main character.

Not all RPG's are this way, but I feel that it’s the only genre where you actually control your destiny.
Old August 29, 2001, 00:00   #20
Moral Hazard
King

Dissident:

Although classes don't kill a game for me at all. I can't think of any advantages they possess which couldn't be replaced with perks and traits.
Old August 29, 2001, 04:50   #21
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:10
Here's my list (in no particular order):

Final Fantasy VI
Secret of Mana
Ogre Battle
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy V (though they did a bad job of translating it for FF Anthology)
Final Fantasy IV
Old August 29, 2001, 05:43   #22
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Moral: I would largely agree- for a pen and paper RPG. A CRPG never offers the same opportunities for character expansion nor in fact social interaction as a pen-and-paper game does. The fact that it has to be kept open means that the story irrevocably suffers, as does almost all charactersiation. You just don't get interesting characters in a CRPG. As your imagination, open in a pen-and-paper game, gets restricted to what's essentially going to be two or three linear paths (or even worse, one with each "mistake" leading to instant death or worse, "game killing" meaning you cannot progress even though you're allowed to continue playing), what a game like Ultima ends up as is a badly-written old-skool (ie. Instant Death) Adventure Game with half-hearted action elements thrown in. The actual "game" (except for following the usually stale and clichéd plots slavishly) is reduced to being effective in inventory management.

Example: I recently tried the Icewind Dale demo. After turging through the first village, engaging in really stupid conversations through a convulted interface, I equip my weapons I bought at random, painstakingly take my group of faceless nobodies through the only exit available and immediately get slaughtered by the weakest kind of enemy within seconds. No indication is given as to what I did wrong, possibly some kind of group "stance" thing. I quit and uninstall. That just about sums up my "enjoyment" of this type of thing.

Basically, the CRPG is like a really old adventure game full of instant deaths and "game killing" mistakes, with pointless, anal pseudo-action sequences drawing the attention away from the actual story/puzzles, with faceless characters that lazy game designers expect you to provide the personality for yourselves in your head. It's certainly not expressed in the game.
Old August 29, 2001, 06:18   #23
Father Beast
King

in all my experience, nothing captures my interest as did The Bard's Tale.

it was so much fun. and all those little jokes in the manual were a great "hook" before playing.

"expect to get killed a lot. especially with level 1 characters. especially when just walking from the adventurer's guild to the armor shop with brand new characters."

"this manual is not protected by magic shields or air armor. Don't let your dog eat it."

I made parties full of people named after characters in books. and nothing quite equals opening the door on the 3rd level of the tower and facing "99 berzerkers, 99 berzerkers, 99 berzerkers, and 99 berzerkers."

dang, i got to go back and play again, pc speaker noise or no.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 29, 2001, 22:30   #24
Moral Hazard
King

Snapcase:

First let me say your obviously looking for an adventure game when you play an RPG, and you'll never find it.

I assume your speaking of Ultima IX, because your description of it is quite accurate. It was a bad adventure game, with a pathetic action element, built on even more pathetic engine. I only got as far as Buccaneers Den before giving up on it. As far as I could tell the plot was as linear as any adventure.

Icewind Dale I can't really comment on it since I've never played it but I will anyway. It was designed for the Diablo player, who loves hack and slash. The plot and the characters were an after thought.

Concerning 'game killing' mistakes. That's nothing short of bad game design; unless of course you decide to exterminate an entire town (an enjoyable past time of mine in Ultima VII), in which case you expect the game not to continue meanifully; As Iolo put it 'I don't think we should be doing this Avatar') .

Instant death is often the logical conclusion to a players illogical action, like attacking an important NPC without provocation.

To the meat of the discussion. Non-Linearity and chosing your own destiny. I'm not talking about two or three linear paths, but more along the lines of Fallout 1 and 2, which had about 20 different ending sequences (ok, ok it was a bunch of parts which changed according to your actions in particular towns). But the ultimate end isn't even the point, the fact that almost every sub-quest had two or more conclusions, which would effect how NPC treated you thru out the game world is. Say you killed off somebody in one town his brothers might come looking for you etc. Sometimes the sub-quests contribute to the GECK quest, but often not. Hell you can skip all these towns and grab the GECK almost immediately (If you stumble in the right direction for long enough), so you weren't really confined. I hope that explains what I mean by non-linearity. Fallout of course is one in a hundred.

I started by saying that you'd never find an adventure (story) in an RPG, but you probably will in Planescape. Even though your character is your own, your past lives are nicely detailed as you discover them through out the game. Not to mention several of your potential party member have deep character, also discovered as the game unfolds. The story is quite good also, on par with most adventure games.

Last edited by Moral Hazard; August 29, 2001 at 22:55.
Old September 1, 2001, 22:32   #25
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I play CRPG's more for the story than for the non-linearity; why else would I even bother with the Final Fantasy series? My only foray into pen-and-paper RPG's featured a DM who created adventures far more linear than any CRPG I've ever played, although they were adventures without any sort of depth and which held my interest for about a week (at which point I called it quits).

Me: "The merchant isn't guarded, eh? I'm going to pickpocket him."

DM: "You can't do that, he's the next adventure hook."

Me: "I'm behind him and the area is shadowy, but if I do get caught, then I can outrun him and you can make a new adventure hook. I attempt to pickpocket the merchant."

DM: "You fail."

Me: "Hey, you didn't even roll the dice."

DM: "The merchant was protected by the God of Merchants, so you automatically fail. The God of Merchants kills you. Roll for a new character."

Me: "Bugger off."

Why bother? Non-linearity isn't a requirement for an enjoyable roleplaying experience, but story is. A good CRPG beats an incompetent DM any day.
Old September 4, 2001, 05:19   #26
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

lol

sounds like some of my ad&d games.

I admit being a DM I had to create god like enchantments to protect things and people.

But my friends, specifically my best friend had a real liberal interpretation of the spells. Especially cleric spells. And he always talked me into them (I wasn't a very good DM ). That was the most powerful cleric I ever seen!
Old September 9, 2001, 22:16   #27
History049
Emperor

Baldur's Gate I + II
Old September 9, 2001, 23:07   #28
Master Marcus
Prince

old: Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) is the most memorable console RPG I ever played ( 10 years ago ).

recent: Skies of Arcadia ( Dreamcast ): a "hybrid" masterpiece.

I scarcely play PC RPGs....don't ask me why. Always devoted my playing time on PC for TBS, and sometimes RTS.
Old September 11, 2001, 06:11   #29
Sliparac
Settler

Local Time: 13:10
Fallout I - II
Baldur's Gate I - II
Planescape Torment

Possibly Arcanum

and....

Ultima Online!

(well, it's great fun to play it on a free, RP-only shard)
Old September 14, 2001, 18:27   #30
History049
Emperor

Everquest was ok but addicting