Old September 5, 2000, 19:09   #31
Sieve Too
Prince

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
One AI cheat I haven't seen posted is the AI's ability to instantly move its capital if you capture their current one (assuming they have 1000 gold).

Also, not on the list but I think someone mentioned: AI democracies don't have a senate to deal with. I've seen them declare war without changing gov't and without UN.

And what about infinite cruise missile supply when you approach their shore with a Battleship or Carrier.

Some other comments:

As Sten mentioned, you can get AI bombers to crash from lack of fuel, but only if the bomber chooses to attack a unit after its first turn in the air. Otherwise, AI bombers can hang out forever, but they can't hurt you.

The AI is affected by pollution. It's just that their cities don't generate pollution.

I've seen infinite range nuclear missiles, but not cruise missiles.

About the AI stealing multiple techs from a single city. You can too - with a Spy. The cheat is that the AI can do it with a Diplomat as well.
Old September 5, 2000, 19:38   #32
Caesar
Settler

Sten, if you don't mind, I've e-mailed it to you... I hate homestead, but I don't have the time for anything else b/c it was the only one where I could upload instantly from my current location...
Old September 5, 2000, 20:48   #33
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:48
You, too, can instantly buy a new capital for 1000 gp if you should have the misfortune to need one. I've been there.... The AI cheat, for what it matters, is that it can relocate its capital practically every turn without any apparent expenditure, WHEN IT DOESN'T REALLY NEED TO. I don't know WHY it does this; I don't think IT does, either.
Old September 5, 2000, 20:58   #34
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 17:48
I, too, have had to pay the 1000 gold to move my capitol. Only once, a loooong loooong time ago, but I had to do it nonetheless.
Old September 6, 2000, 11:59   #35
Edward
Warlord

Local Time: 18:48
Concerning the AI relocating it's capital:

As debeest alluded to, both the human and the AI can relocate their capitals for 1000 gold. The AI cheats in that it can relocate it's capital in the middle of someone else's turn.

If an AI were to take my capital, I would lose any spaceship in flight and likely begin my next turn with much disorder, corruption, and waste. I could then, on my turn, rebuild my capital for 1000 gold (and then wait until my next turn for construction to be complete). If they grounded my spaceship, I'd have to start a new spaceship from scratch too.

If someone captures an AI capital, it can instantaneously rebuild it in the middle of the attacker's turn. No spaceship is lost. No disorder due to a lack of a capital. I've taken out an AI's capital and seen it rebuilt multiple times during a single turn of mine. It still costs them 1000 gold each time, but their telecommuting senators are certainly an advantage.
Old September 6, 2000, 19:23   #36
Simpson II
Prince

debeest is correct. Possibly it doesn't work that way in hotseat, but in SP just before your capitol is taken you get a message box asking if you want to pay 1000 gold to move it, providing you have sufficient funds of course. No disorder, no problems (tested using the scenario editor some time ago, btw - I don't make a habit of loosing my capitol. Honest )
Old September 6, 2000, 20:18   #37
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Ok, i just tested it - I set my gold to an outrageous sum, disbanded all units in my capital and then placed several AI units adjacent to it. I got:
quote:

Sire, our capital is being overrun! Shall we pay 1000 gold to evacuate the government to Leipzig while there is still time?

* Alas we cannot afford it.
o Yes, pay 1000 gold.

ok, i didn't feel like taking a screen shot and posting it

Note that it chose my next capitol for me. I think a main reason there is so much confusion is that not many of us tend to have 1000 gold in our treasuries if for some reason our heartland cities are being threatened - by then we have rush-built as much of a defense as our treasuries will allow Of course how often does the AI actually threaten your capital once you've got a few cities down anyway?

Edit: 2.42, tested with both diety and king in cheat mode
------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
[This message has been edited by SCG (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old September 7, 2000, 00:11   #38
debeest
Prince

I'm fairly sure, but not positive, that when this has happened to me I've been able to rebuild instantaneously, like the AI, with no period of anarchy or other loss beyond the 1000 gp. I don't know if it's ever happened to me when I already had a ship launched, but I doubt you'd lose that either.
Old September 7, 2000, 05:19   #39
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

SilverDragon - please remove "The AI can bribe Democratic units" - it just ain't true (any more )

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
Old September 7, 2000, 15:58   #40
SilverDragon

Fine. But I still say it is. But then again, I should listen to my publisher.

Old September 7, 2000, 18:19   #41
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

SilverDragon, I've never seen an democratic unit bribed in Civ II, version 1.07 or in version 2.42. It apparently has been widely reported though in the Multiplayer Gold versions prior to version 1.3. I'll assume that you have MPG and don't have the ver. 1.3 patch.

------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
Old September 7, 2000, 19:42   #42
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by SilverDragon on 09-07-2000 03:58 PM
Fine. But I still say it is. But then again, I should listen to my publisher.
Do you know something I don't??

An addendum for the list:
  • The AI can break Zones of Control on occasion
I guess this is related to the "All AI units can exercise Diplomat functionality", but it is (for me) much, much rarer and much, much more annoying when it happens.
Keep them coming

------------------

Old September 8, 2000, 00:12   #43
Dienstag
Warlord

Ignore this post if this is a dumb question:

Do AI spys/diplos ever fail in their mission?

I feel like I should know this but I can't remember...
Old September 8, 2000, 00:57   #44
debeest
Prince

Not a dumb question at all. Yes, they can fail in their missions. However, I don't think I've ever seen it happen without my having a diplo/spy in the city to "catch" the enemy. Seems like even diplomats never fail unless I take protective measures.
Old September 8, 2000, 05:52   #45
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

My experience tallies with debeest - I have never seen the AI fail in its task if I have not had a Diplo or spy on duty (I don't recall ever building a Courthouse - but doesn't that have an effect as well???)
Very, very occasionally I have caught the offender and have been able to exploit the incident.

------------------

Old September 8, 2000, 17:54   #46
SilverDragon

quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 09-07-2000 07:42 PM</font>
Do you know something I don't??

Read the title of the thread. You're the GL Webmaster. Read this:
quote:

After we finish, we will send it to the Apolyton great library

Put 2 and 2 together.

[This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited September 08, 2000).]

Old September 8, 2000, 20:35   #47
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 09-07-2000 06:19 PM
I've never seen an democratic unit bribed in Civ II, version 1.07 or in version 2.42. It apparently has been widely reported though in the Multiplayer Gold versions prior to version 1.3. I'll assume that you have MPG and don't have the ver. 1.3 patch.

You may be right about that. It has happened to me in the UCC (=MGE) edition, can't remember about 2.42.

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old September 9, 2000, 14:36   #48
SilverDragon

No, I have 2.42. I feel like I am trying to explain to people that I saw a unicorn or something.

Old September 9, 2000, 20:13   #49
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sorry SilverDragon - we had a similar situation recently with Barbarian Armour. This game certainly throws up some strange things and if you've seen this in v2.42 I'm certainly not calling you a liar or suggesting that maybe you have been abducted by aliens. I guess what I mean is that the general consensus as evidenced on these boards is that a properly patched 2.42 or MP 1.3 should not allow a Democratic unit to be bribed (we think).
As for being GL Webmaster - yes I have offered my (actually our) services, but the Powers That Be have yet to rule - the important thing is that we do have a GL - not who runs it.
This thread when distilled will be a useful addition to the GLoA.

------------------

Old September 12, 2000, 00:05   #50
AsSmAn
Settler

The AI is far too stupid in his nutty head to survive whitout these "bugs".
Old September 22, 2000, 00:20   #51
debeest
Prince

Some clarifications:

The AI needs the same percentage of food for growth as it needs shields for building. 80% at the beginning of a deity game, 60% once you're supreme. 100% at the beginning of a king or lower game, 80% once you're supreme.

Yes, Sten, I've taken a desultory stab at verifying whether the AI gets free improvement maintenance, and based on a very limited examination, I think it does. Has anyone else checked this better?

What does it mean to say that the AI can revolt when it's not its turn?

And some doubts (because I've never seen these things):

Can the AI really go into financial deficit?

How would we know whether AI fighters and bombers can stay multiple turns outside cities? In my experience, they always go in and out of view, and I assume they're going back to cities, or to airbases, or something.

Similarly, how can we know if missiles have infinite range? How do we know they aren't coming from subs that are actually within range?

And hardest of all for me to believe, does the AI really spontaneously improve city radius squares without the assistance of any unit? Can anyone else confirm this?
Old September 22, 2000, 08:38   #52
SCG
King

quote:

Originally posted by debeest on 09-22-2000 12:20 AM
Some clarifications:
What does it mean to say that the AI can revolt when it's not its turn?

very common when the AI is in republic/democracy and at peace with you, but hostile in attitude. when you move one of your units next to one of its, very often it will revolt on the spot so that they can declare war with you during the negotiations.
Old October 9, 2000, 18:29   #53
internik
Settler

another suspected cheat (i'm sure i've read it somewhere before) is that AI civs can sell multiple city improvements within the same city in one turn while we mere human players can only sell one.

on top of that, they can do it when it isn't even their turn. i investigated an enemy city to find that it had built virtually every improvement available. Upon capturing the city (in the same turn), i found that NINE of the improvements were gone.

Granery, temple, marketplace, aqueduct, factory, hydroplant, sewer system, superhighways, and SAM were all gone.

Nuts!
Old October 9, 2000, 19:01   #54
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Doesn't capturing a city always destroy half its improvements - or is this another urban myth???

------------------

Old October 10, 2000, 07:41   #55
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:48
SG1 - as I understand it: temple, colosseum, and cathedral are guaranteed to be destroyed upon city capture. Each other improvement has a 50% chance of being destroyed. This may result in more or less than half of a city's improvements being destroyed, depending on how many lucky coin flips you have.
Old October 10, 2000, 07:48   #56
SCG
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 10-09-2000 07:01 PM
Doesn't capturing a city always destroy half its improvements - or is this another urban myth???

IIRC, according to the manual (which is right at least part of the time ) capturing a city destroys all happy improvements, and each round of bombardment that succeeds can destroy an improvement as well. Not too sure about bombardment, since i don't usualy take cities that way, but I do know that inciting revolts destroys temples and cathedrals (not sure about colosseums). Also, if i have Mike's Chapel and the AI city has a cathedral, when i incite a revolt, the cathedral stays - presumably a bug.
Old October 10, 2000, 08:04   #57
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

I think temples are always destroyed. However, I inherited a colosseum from a captured city whilst playing the Headstart Scenario in 5.3
-------------
SG (2)
(edit spelling)
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited October 10, 2000).]
Old October 10, 2000, 16:24   #58
debeest
Prince

Although the manual is vague on the subject (IIRC, it essentially says "temples, cathedrals, and SOME of the other improvements may be destroyed when the city is captured"), I believe DaveV has it right, with one exception. Although the manual doesn't say so (shock!), I'm pretty sure that courthouses also are always destroyed.
Old October 12, 2000, 20:30   #59
The Mad Viking
King

colloseums are never destroyed when a revolt is incited; they have the same chance of destruction through conquest as other improvements.

I have never bribed a city and kept the cathedral, and I always have had Mike's.

I've never known the AI to sell an improvement.

I just love the AI building the Lighthouse even though its triremes never sink!
Old October 13, 2000, 08:51   #60
SCG
King

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Viking on 10-12-2000 08:30 PM
I have never bribed a city and kept the cathedral, and I always have had Mike's.

used to happen to me all the time when i played v1.07 regularly - haven't gotten into too many city bribing games with 2.42 yet, so i suppose it could be an undocumented fix? Getting that extra 160 gold was always a nice boost to the economy

------------------
Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.