Old August 9, 2001, 01:03   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 08:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The FIRST thing you'll look for when Civ3.com opens?
As many of you know, Dan has said (barring any "11th hour" trouble) that the official Civ3 site should be on-line by this Friday (August 10th). For me, I'm REALLY interested in AI. I hope there will be an entire section on AI stuff (governers, waging battle, diplomacy, etc.). However, I fully realize this is one of the LEAST likely things to appear.

3 Questions for you all:

1) What will be the very FIRST thing you'll look for on the site? (Mine, again, is AI stuff)

2) Do you think the site will really reveal anything profoundly more detailed than what we have already heard? If not, would that surprise you? (I think it WILL show some new stuff but once the excitement fades, we'll still have a LOT of questions. If nothing is really new, I will be surprised, to put it lightly.)

3) Is what you will or will not see on that site likely to affect your purchasing decision or have you already made up your mind one way or the other? (I have already decided to buy the Limited Edition, otherwise I would have depended heavily on the site to help form my decision)

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old August 9, 2001, 01:21   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:14
New screenshots

Actually, I just want to see if they have updated their civ advance chart. It'd interesting if they put a Civ encyclopedia on the site.
Old August 9, 2001, 01:22   #3
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:14
Hmm. Good question. I always supposed that when the site is up I will just comb it for any new information. Didn't put much thought into what I will actually look for...

1)At this point, I will seek clearification regarding the speculations that are running rampant on the ACS site.

2)I tend to agree with this sentiment. I think Firaxis feels that all this speculation is good for the game, after all, there is a "buzz", albeit a buzz of confusion... A list of the playable Civs would suprize me. That reminds me, I'd really like to see the "Ask The Civ Team" feature on the Firaxis site revived. "Really like" is a massive understatment

3)I am in a similiar camp... Those boys have my $$$ (or they will when the game comes out)... Unless there is something really stupid on the site i.e. "Civ3 lets you answer historical 'what if' questions like ' what if the Teletubbies had a modernized empire?" So it is safe to say, I'm in.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 9, 2001, 01:25   #4
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:14
The End

no, um I think it will be a highly PR affiar aimed at the masses

I plan on prebuying limited edition'

Jon Miller
Old August 9, 2001, 01:50   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:14
1) I will look to see if there has been any information about MP put on up on the site. After that I will just go with the flow in the information I see. Any new info is good.

2) The site will reveal some profound stuff but mainly keep it close to home. A few bits and pieces of info. will be there just enough to keep this forum going at great speed for the next month. Yes it would surprise me if some profound info wasn't releaved but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of profound info wasn't relvealed.

3) I don't think much will affect my decision on buying Civ3. As soon as I heard about Civ3 being made I right then and there that no matter what I was going to buy the game.

BtW good idea for a thread Yin, it seems to be a very lighthearted thread which is something this forum Civ3) lacks.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 9, 2001, 02:04   #6
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:14
I'll look at everything on it, i'm not going to browse around for specific stuff but will be happy if they tell us something interesting.

Btw, i reckon not many people will get in on Friday, the server will get overloaded!
Old August 9, 2001, 07:37   #7
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 07:14
i will imediatly look for info on combat, then cry from happiness, then i will just browse around.

the server wont be overloaded for me, ive got cable.
Old August 9, 2001, 09:17   #8
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
I'll look at everything on it, i'm not going to browse around for specific stuff but will be happy if they tell us something interesting.

Btw, i reckon not many people will get in on Friday, the server will get overloaded!

It's actually three seperate load-balanced servers, so in theory, this should not happen.

Dan
Old August 9, 2001, 09:25   #9
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:14
Well I shall be there, constantly checking what is on there.

First thing I'll look for? Screenshots. I just want to look at what will be on there in this respect.

Obviously a demo I suppose, but I doubt one will be there yet

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 9, 2001, 09:36   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
It's actually three seperate load-balanced servers, so in theory, this should not happen.
interesting.... Dan can you reveal how many pageviews firaxis.com does?
Old August 9, 2001, 09:55   #11
Steve Clark
King

Not that interested in what they (or anyone else) would put up. All of the screenshots, wonderful prose and hype still won't determine of you will love or hate or [fill in the blank] Civ3 when you actually sit down and play. Anything before then is just noise.
Old August 9, 2001, 09:58   #12
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

1.) I will first see after new info on culture, resources and other new things. Then I will see after new revolutionary screen shots( I like them as they are now, but last night I had a dream about them! )

2.) I think we will be satisfied for a while, yes.

3.) I will buy this game, no matter what!!!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 9, 2001, 10:07   #13
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
1) Solver mentioned a feature where you can "attack" a city with six warriors, online. I'll see if he is just talking BS.

2) Yes it will. I think that we'll have a complete tech tree and a list of available civilizations (Yeah right )

3) I will purchase it, no matter what shall be revealed.
Old August 9, 2001, 11:05   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:14
What will be the first thing I look for? Anything and everything CIV3 related!

Will the site reveal any profound information? It might, but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything "profound" in nature. But will there be some new information? Yes, I believe there will be.

Will the site change my mind on buying CIV3? Hardly. The site could be a blank screen and I will still by the game!
Old August 9, 2001, 11:09   #15
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
interesting.... Dan can you reveal how many pageviews firaxis.com does?
The Civ3.com servers are actually housed in an Infogrames facility in Seattle, not here at Firaxis. Why would you want to know our pageviews, Mark? Bragging rights?

Dan
Old August 9, 2001, 12:16   #16
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

1) I´ll look for info about governments and stacked combat. Also, it will be interesting to find out if there´s more "civ-specific" than special units (e.g. SMAC-style unique civs).

2) As to governments, almost any info would be "profoundly more detailed than what we have already heard".

3) I´ll buy this game for sure. Actually I´ll take a few days off when Civ3 is released.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 9, 2001, 12:28   #17
RallyK
Settler

1) I'd like to say I'd look for a game guide (in PDF format for easy download). But I'll probably shoot straight for the screenshots and interactive sections (if any).

2) I don't expect any amazing news.

3) I'll buy Limited Edition also ASAP.
Old August 9, 2001, 12:42   #18
Colon™
Emperor

Re Q1, the first thing I’ll look after is any indication of the stockpiles of statistics I’ve been dreaming of.

Next, I’ll look for AI and diplomacy.

Re Q2, I’ve never thought about it actually. I suppose it will be more informative than the current one, otherwise they wouldn’t bother.

Re Q3, if I buy anything to start with I’ll see for further preview, reviews and maybe also gamers’ info if I still have doubts. Could also be that I purchase EU2 instead.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 9, 2001, 13:05   #19
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
The Civ3.com servers are actually housed in an Infogrames facility in Seattle, not here at Firaxis. Why would you want to know our pageviews, Mark? Bragging rights?
hey, if the fan site did more than the official site, that would be really something, right?

anyway you must be expecting a really big crowd to have put a cluster of 3 servers....
Old August 9, 2001, 13:11   #20
campmajor!
Prince

Re: The FIRST thing you'll look for when Civ3.com opens?
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
3 Questions for you all:

1) What will be the very FIRST thing you'll look for on the site? (Mine, again, is AI stuff)
Possibility of stacked units, like in ctp.

Quote:
2) Do you think the site will really reveal anything profoundly more detailed than what we have already heard? If not, would that surprise you? (I think it WILL show some new stuff but once the excitement fades, we'll still have a LOT of questions. If nothing is really new, I will be surprised, to put it lightly.)
There will be new stuff, but probably not very dramaticully new things. Maybe on MP there will be some neat stuff...

Quote:
3) Is what you will or will not see on that site likely to affect your purchasing decision or have you already made up your mind one way or the other? (I have already decided to buy the Limited Edition, otherwise I would have depended heavily on the site to help form my decision)
I have already made up my mind: I will buy it!
I even bought myself a Pentium4 with new monitor so I will be able to play it well!
Old August 9, 2001, 13:11   #21
SerapisIV
King

Any chance for Apolyon advertisements on the Civ3 site? Could always use more Civ3 bug hunters... I mean posters
Old August 9, 2001, 13:14   #22
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:14
You mean spammers, don't you Serapis?
Old August 9, 2001, 13:29   #23
SerapisIV
King

I assume you meant present company excluded...right?
Old August 9, 2001, 14:33   #24
connorkimbro
Emperor

a confirmed release date.
lots of pretty pictures.
backgrounds, maybe windows themes. .

anything else interesting

-theonion.com
Old August 9, 2001, 14:45   #25
SerapisIV
King

I'll be looking for screenshots, specifically shots of the modern/nuclear ages.

Then I'll look for another tutorial, this time on the combat system.

They 'll start looking for other bright and shiny things to click on
Old August 9, 2001, 14:46   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

firaxis: dont spend time on windows themes. finish the game mmkay?
Old August 9, 2001, 14:49   #27
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
Civs included in the game.

I still hope that the last 16th unknown Civ will be the one I want it to be(please tell us Dan ).
Old August 9, 2001, 14:50   #28
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 04:14
The first thing I'll look for is Editor information.

I think there won't be a lot of useful information right away.

I absulutely will buy the game.
Old August 9, 2001, 16:16   #29
Ozymandous
Prince

1) Look for things about AI & also see what improvements they have thought to add to what's known.

2) Nah, don't think there will be much new, although may be pleasantly surprised.

3) It may influence the decision to buy the game. Played Civ1, Civ2, CTP1 & CTP2 and hope some of the best of both are in Civ3. I just hope Civ3 is not simply Civ2 with better graphics and the SOSDD like Civ2 vs. Civ1.

If the game offers something NEW and not Civ1 with a few (very few) ideas and better graphics (Civ2) then I'd probably buy it.
Old August 9, 2001, 17:35   #30
Adm.Naismith
King

Re: The FIRST thing you'll look for when Civ3.com opens?
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
3 Questions for you all:

First of all I'll look around to see if any great "GOTCHA!" appear on home page, with the final explain about all this prolonged hoax of a "Civ sequel that none at Firaxis really worked on" (tm).
(We already realized all when discovered that Firaxis was working on Sim Golf, instead).

We finally know why Brian left: he missed heart to take part to the greatest false since that showed on "The Sting" 1973 movie (Newman, Redford, Shaw).

No, seriusly, first thing I'll look for on the site is any announce/promise about frequence of site update...

Quote:
2) Do you think the site will really reveal anything profoundly more detailed than what we have already heard? If not, would that surprise you?
Not really more detailed, but some stuff will be there for sure.

If not, I will not be really surprised, but a bit "nervous" , to put it lightly.

Quote:
A bit, but I already worry this beast so much that I'll still wait a working demo and enough feedback from trusted buddies here at Apolyton (adding some magazine review, if available).

About Limited Edition... well, I have no idea about availability outside USA, and I bet the italian distributor will add a heavy overprice (they usually do, with special editions)