Old August 10, 2001, 08:15   #61
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I am impressed

The graphics are now coming together very nicely, the roads weave around mountains and valleys, tuck behind them and wrap around them forming those windy alpine roads you get

So it was indeed the Aztecs who are the other civ. I had speculated this many months ago due to the sightings of their cities on the map. I thought that the Spanish were in rather than the Babylonians though.

I enjoyed reading through that site. I was enthusiastic about the game before but this has helped alleviate some of my doubts. I had a feeling that there was a lot to this game that people didn't appreciate at first. I am now on full excitement mode waiting for this game to come out. You even seem to have shut up the biggest critic

So:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 10, 2001, 08:21   #62
The Mad Viking
King

Local Time: 12:15
I'm very pleased. The city views look awesome, and the palace in a big improvement on the pathetice Civ2 Throne Room. The map view is good, if short of beautiful, and I glad they have borders.

It appears I will still be micromanaging each city to get my shields to work out evenly at completion of a unit/improvement. Or will leftover shields be carried onto the next turns production? Its great that units will be Civ not city supported! All kinds of small improvements and the [option of Civ specific units is great. Trade and diplomacy look to be greatly enhanced!

(Although I was reading last night about how the camel revolutionized trade (and even de-invented the wheel). I'm going to miss the camel...

I'm ready to buy. Need to get a new 'puter tho... so Civ3 will cost me over $1000

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old August 10, 2001, 08:51   #63
Grim Legacy
Prince

It sure looks good. I was ready to order online, but doubts about getting the special edition prevented a swift choice, hehe.

Hopefully, this new site will be updated more often than once a month (or less)!

Ah I actually don't care - just get the game out!
Old August 10, 2001, 09:10   #64
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy
Hopefully, this new site will be updated more often than once a month (or less)!
Since they have "Civ of the week", I guess that the site will be updated once a week.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:17   #65
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

Since they have "Civ of the week", I guess that the site will be updated once a week.
LOL pretty clever...HOWEVER, a pre-cooked rotational Civ-ot-Week does not necessarily mean that there will also be editorial content added each week! And that is of course the kind of update that i would be looking for.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:32   #66
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Was right about the "colonies"="depots"
I guess my hunch was right about the colonies being the RR equivalent of depots. In combination with the roads requirement this will be an interesting feature. I also like the fact that you have to connect a road to a resource before it works, another ICS damper!
If you read questions to the civ team you'll also read that pillaging is far more destructive. If you destroy a specific road that civ loses access to that resource. I hope this also works with various flight units (bombers).

Now we can start whining about the release, this year or next year?
Old August 10, 2001, 10:42   #67
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:15
the game is very ctp ish.... i guess thats the way civ will be from now on.....oh well it looks decent but some of the graphics look a little weak...

now just release the damm game so i can master it as quick as possible.... we want mp we want mp
Old August 10, 2001, 11:17   #68
jglidewell
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
River Movement
Nice job!!

I have many questions but one that is nagging me from the Screensaver. Since the river is between the tiles than are there movement bonuses??
Old August 10, 2001, 12:33   #69
jglidewell
Warlord

Outstanding interface
The interface - s are really outstanding and are very pleasing to see. They are uncluttered and do not strain my eyes.

Last edited by jglidewell; August 10, 2001 at 12:57.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:03   #70
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:15
WONDERFUL!

Some good new information and what AMAZING graphics! Civ3 is looking very very good! Optimists Unite!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 10, 2001, 13:33   #71
The Mad Viking
King

Notwithstanding my satisfaction with the changes to the gameplay, I will have to organize a Viking raid upon the offices of Firaxis, for not including the Viking civilization!

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old August 10, 2001, 14:40   #72
shum00
Chieftain

I don't know if this was known or not, but by looking at the second screenshot on the second page of the gallery it seems that corruption and waste can occur in the capital... Not very important but I just decided to bring it up
Old August 10, 2001, 15:05   #73
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
The site looks great. The only thing I wonder about is why the gallery pop-up windows are designed for a 1024x768 setting. Seems to me, 800x600 is more standard. But this is a minor point.
That is because the game is going to require 1024x768. No reason to take screen shots and make them smaller so that they can be seen in a full window on a resolution that is not supported by the game.

Quote:
I don?t know if this has been mentioned before, but the tech tree shows horseback riding requires warrior code and the wheel. That makes sense in terms of military history, but it could mean a big change to my standard opening moves.
Remember a discussion about this about a week ago. Basically it ended with someone pointing out that this is acurate in the Middle East while another person said that north of China there were horseback riders before chariots were cooked up. We will see how it works and it should be fun
Old August 10, 2001, 19:45   #74
KrazyHorse
Deity

BTW, I don't know if anybody else has done this yet, but I want to congratulate Dan on building a very nice site, even if it was *ahem* slightly long in coming. Lots of useful information, lots of pretty pictures (except for the stupid-looking mountains), lots of everything. I can't wait for them to reveal the Japanese leader and resolve the Genghis/Japanese guy debate.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 10, 2001, 20:45   #75
genghisvick
Chieftain

Now, all we have to do is wait for the game to come out.
Old August 10, 2001, 21:18   #76
XarXo
Prince

THE TRIBES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHO MADE THE TRIBE LIST??????

OK, I understand "America" and Britain (but both are the same thing, and America isn't only the USA, remember this please!).

But, SPANISH???? Where are them??? They have the biggest empire in the world and now... Nothing?

And Incans????? The Aztecs were pathetic compared with'em!!!

Mongols? Where is Genghis Khan?

The *TRULY* best divison must be of 24 tribes:

America: USA (Americans), Iroquois (Iroquese), The Birú (Incans, the Tauantisuyu confederation) and Aztec Empire (Aztecs).

(4 tribes)

Europe: British, Russians, Romans, Spanish, French, Germany and Greece.

(7 tribes)

Asia: China, Japan, Mongolia, India, Persia, Babylon, Israel and Siam (the Thai culture!!!!).

(8 tribes)

Africa: Zulus, Ethiopians, Egypt, Nigeria (this last one is the african state with the biggest increase in development, with an enormous territory and will have 600 millions at the 2020/2025).

(4 tribes)

Oceania: Polynese (Hawaii and the other Pacific islands, they could have a trirreme when start, with the expansionist option and a GOOD exploration AI, is a good posibility)

(1 tribe)

4 + 7 + 8 + 4 + 1 = 24
Old August 10, 2001, 23:58   #77
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Where are the Arabs/Muslims in your list?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 11, 2001, 05:17   #78
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Where are the Arabs/Muslims in your list?
"Muslims" is not a civ but a religion.

Where are the (Ottoman) Turks on that list?
Old August 11, 2001, 06:17   #79
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
BTW, have we found out yet what will the minor civs be?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old August 11, 2001, 07:42   #80
JosefGiven
Warlord

Nice one, team
Just want to add my voice to the general shout of praise for the Civ3 site.

Of particular note: The Palace and the City View screen. Classy stuff indeed.

Maximum respeck, Dan
Old August 11, 2001, 07:52   #81
JosefGiven
Warlord

Who's taken a look through the different wallpapers? What do you suppose the sixth one is...the one that looks like a series Matrix-style pod-towers? WTF is that all about?

BTW: Just made the great leap from 800 x 600 to 1024x768. How can anyone read text that's this small? I think I have a head-ache coming on...
Old August 11, 2001, 07:53   #82
CyberbugFredrik
Settler

Wow! The graphics look MUCH better now! I am really impressed.

Just one thing though: Why have those ugly HEADS at the very left at all the advisor screens? They should be replaced by symbols, like a sword and a shield for the military advisor for example.
Old August 11, 2001, 12:37   #83
Juggler
Prince

I still like the heads. Having simbols is pretty stupid.
Old August 11, 2001, 14:18   #84
JosefGiven
Warlord

Quote:
I still like the heads. Having simbols is pretty stupid
I don't mind the idea of heads as such...take the advisors in Civ II for example (You know - "Give me more units, noble leader..." etc.)

I just don't like the ones they've got lined up for Civ III at the moment.
Old August 11, 2001, 14:33   #85
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JosefGiven
Who's taken a look through the different wallpapers? What do you suppose the sixth one is...the one that looks like a series Matrix-style pod-towers? WTF is that all about?

BTW: Just made the great leap from 800 x 600 to 1024x768. How can anyone read text that's this small? I think I have a head-ache coming on...
How big is your monitor? 1024x768 is typically used in windows with 17" monitors. If your monitor is smaller, of course it will hurt your eyes IN WINDOWS. The game will look much different and you will most likely not have trouble reading.
Old August 11, 2001, 19:19   #86
JosefGiven
Warlord

Quote:
How big is your monitor? 1024x768 is typically used in windows with 17" monitors. If your monitor is smaller, of course it will hurt your eyes IN WINDOWS. The game will look much different and you will most likely not have trouble reading.
Ah, that would be it, mate. I dare say you can imagine how painful 1024 x 764 is on a 14" monitor.

So, sweet. Back to 800 x 600 for Windows for me, and I'll save the techno resolutions for Civ 3 and other such wotsits.

BTW: Did anyone work out what this is supposed to be? I have fears it could be some science-fiction future-tech silliness in a CtP stylee.

Fingers crossed it's just the new improved Alpha Centauri mission vessel...

Last edited by JosefGiven; August 11, 2001 at 19:26.
Old August 11, 2001, 20:35   #87
cyborgasm
Settler

Screensaver
Hey, I'm having a little problem with the screensaver, I saved it to disk and now when I double click on it it says "The installer cannot be run from your Windows directory." As I expected, it doesn't work in dos, what do I do?
Old August 13, 2001, 02:55   #88
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:15
Quote:
OK, I understand "America" and Britain (but both are the same thing, and America isn't only the USA, remember this please!).
What you have to remember is that people who are United States of America citizens are referred to as Americans. Correct America isn't only the USA but Americans are usually thought of as USA citizens. That's why people say Americans for short, referring to the USA citizens.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 13, 2001, 08:34   #89
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

GREAT!!!
The CIV3 site looks absolutely wonderful Dan! There for a while I was wondering if I was going to enjoy Civ3, but now after seeing all of the info about it, I am really starting to like things that I didn't before. Like the graphics, I didn't like them at first, but now I really think that they add a sort of epic feel to the game. It makes it seem much more like you are controlling a great civilization. At first I really liked the CTP style graphics more, but after seeing all these new screenshots WOW!!! I love it! Thanks so much Dan for all the work you put into the site, I know everbody here really appreciates it!
Old August 17, 2001, 02:58   #90
tuckson
Warlord

well, let's call it live...
According to the what's new section on civ3.com, the last update is from 8/9/01.

Also the "civ of the week" (babylionians) is to be seen for some time now, but definitely more than a week old.

Is civ3.com going the same way as the firaxis civ3 preview site?