Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hooooooooooowwwwllllll!!!
Civ3 won't run on my Pentium 166MMX!!!

Life is no longer worth living!!!
Attached Images:

Old August 9, 2001, 22:33   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:16
It officially won't run on my P200 either, but if you stuff in enough memory (I'm going for 128 MB), keep the hard disk empty and don't install any more Windows or other M$ **** than strictly necessary it should probably work, though it will be a tad slow (worked with plenty of other games, why not with Civ3?). I would recommend trying a demo and/or hacked version before buying it though, to make absolutely sure it's both possible and bearable...
Old August 10, 2001, 03:07   #3
Lung
King

Thanks for the advice, Locotus. As it is, i intend to hijack my fiancee's Celeron whatever-speed (faster than mine, anyway) for the more-important-than-life-itself game that is Civ3
Old August 10, 2001, 04:28   #4
Ralf
King

Local Time: 13:16
Re: Hooooooooooowwwwllllll!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lung
Civ3 won't run on my Pentium 166MMX!!!
Well, it was inevitable, wasnt it? Look around in todays game-stores. How many games will run on a Pentium 166MMX? Not many - if any.
Old August 10, 2001, 07:24   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
It officially won't run on my P200 either, but if you stuff in enough memory (I'm going for 128 MB), keep the hard disk empty and don't install any more Windows or other M$ **** than strictly necessary it should probably work, though it will be a tad slow (worked with plenty of other games, why not with Civ3?). I would recommend trying a demo and/or hacked version before buying it though, to make absolutely sure it's both possible and bearable...
Prepare for some pain running a minimum P2-350 on a P200...

I remember the time that Civ2 was a heavy game for my PC...a 486 at the time. LOL.

PS - Re: your sig - I'll remain seated, thank you.
Old August 10, 2001, 11:26   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:16
Lung,

Although it may work, it's going to intolerably slow. Your computer probably doesn't have the required graphics card, either.

Time for an upgrade. AMD boxes are very cheap these days, and you don't need more than an Athlon 500 to see you through the next couple of years.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:42   #7
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 12:16
K7 Thunderbird 850 Socket-A Bulk $67.95

Nuff said
Old August 11, 2001, 02:14   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:16
A simple upgrade isn't expensive. You can just rip out the mobo and put a new one in. Add a CPU, some memory, and perhaps a new graphics card. Connect everything back together. Switch on the computer.
Old August 11, 2001, 03:11   #9
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
A simple upgrade isn't expensive. You can just rip out the mobo and put a new one in.
I have often seen mainboard + CPU upgrade packages for sale for a relatively cheap prize. You can even come with your PC to the store and let them do the upgrade for you - just ask around.
Old August 12, 2001, 19:57   #10
Lung
King

Gee, you guys are so nice and helpful and friendly I'll manage somehow, but tweaking my other half's computer should do the trick. In any case, i'll crawl over broken glass to play Civ3!!!
Old August 12, 2001, 20:41   #11
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
...or drink yourself into a stupor if you can't

BTW, great avatar Lung!!!
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 12, 2001, 20:54   #12
Lung
King

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian

BTW, great avatar Lung!!!

I had tried many, but eventually i found my true avatar. It's a good likeness, too. At least the burping bit

Hey, there are some great avatars out there, so i settled for one that oozed individuality
Old August 12, 2001, 21:00   #13
Lung
King

Re: Re: Hooooooooooowwwwllllll!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
Well, it was inevitable, wasnt it? Look around in todays game-stores. How many games will run on a Pentium 166MMX? Not many - if any.
Not even close! I last looked in a games store 6 months ago and i was horrified to find that my computer was closer to an abacus than it was to a computer that could play those games!!! It was pitiful!

I never upgraded it because it could play Civ2 and CTP, which was all that mattered
Old August 13, 2001, 00:46   #14
Laszlo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:16
Lung, if you plan to buy a new computer that lasts a bit longer before becoming obsolete, buy one that's refurbished. That means it was returned for some reason to the manufacturer, but fixed and checked and on sale again. The prices for a mid-range refurbished comp. are around the low-end new comp. range.

You can check out Dell.com and search for "refurbished" to find their listings. If I had any money I would do that too, but I think I'll try sliding by on my 266.
Old August 13, 2001, 01:24   #15
Mister Pleasant

I'll skip the rant about the environment this time (Jesus, the amount of lead that's going to leach out of used computers someday . . .).

I tossed a new processor in my old 266 (w/128 megs), which I'm sure would have run Civ3 fine with the animations turned off. But a 166 might be beyond all hope by now.

Hey, is anyone running an Evergreen Tech performa chip or Accelera card? Always wanted to know how well those things worked.

Old August 13, 2001, 07:31   #16
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well it is certainly worth upgrading to a new computer. I have had my Athlon 700 for over 1 1/2 years now and it is still more than adequate for all of my needs because software just isn't keeping up at the necessary pace (although Microsoft are trying damn hard. Their bloatyware department has had many sleepless nights on this one ). So you should be able to get something around the 1GHz mark cheap enough and will be fine for quite a while yet. I remember that my original P90 didn't have that kind of lifespan back in 95/96. It was pretty slow at everything released at the same age as my present computer is now...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith