Old August 10, 2001, 01:09   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tech Tree
Why is that certain techs say that they take more turns to discover than others (I'm referring to the new Science Advisor screenshot)? Polytheism takes 15 turns, Currency take 19 turns, Construction takes 24 turns, and Writing takes 3 turns. Does this mean that some techs take longer to research than others. I think I might actually like it if it is actually that way. No, I'm not real sure what to think to tell you the truth, I don't know if I like it or if I don't like it (assuming that is what it means). Could you explain Dan?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 10, 2001, 19:01   #2
TechWins
King

Hey Danny boy could you explain this please? Or if somebody else might know could you fill me in? Thanks.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 10, 2001, 19:08   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 08:16
Good job, TW. I didn't even notice that. This certainly is a hell of a revelation. It appears that the further down the tech tree you go, the more expensive techs are.

Writing requires 1 pre-req; requires 3 turns
Polytheism requires 2 pre-reqs; requires 15 turns
Currency requires 3 pre-reqs; requires 19 turns
Construction requires 5 pre-reqs; requires 24 turns
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 10, 2001, 19:11   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
off topic, sorry, looks like polytheism wont let you have elephants

and i dont see a diplomat under writing...
Old August 10, 2001, 20:14   #5
meriadoc
Warlord

Actually, having some techs cost more than others isn't that much of a revolution. The CTP series had that feature in it from the start.
Old August 10, 2001, 20:41   #6
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:16
As I understand the screenshot, blue indicates techs that have already been discovered. Yellow indicates techs that can be researched. Green indicates the tech that is currently being researched. And, grey is for techs that are not available yet.
The number of turns next to the tech indicates the number of turns it would take to research it. The number of turns in the green tech indicates the number of turns left.

Am I right Firaxis?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Last edited by The diplomat; August 10, 2001 at 20:59.
Old August 10, 2001, 21:27   #7
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:16
Don't you think that the numbers are the cumulation of that tech plus their pre-reqs? Also, remember that each tech requires more 'beakers' than the one before, as in Civ2.
Old August 10, 2001, 22:53   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:16
Sounds promising having idfferent speeds required to research harder to research technologies!
Old August 10, 2001, 23:09   #9
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 14:16
I bet this progressive research system is a try to balance the ancient vs. the modern age and make ancient more attractive to play and make war in. In Civ II, most player just rushed this age, expanded and researched.
Old August 10, 2001, 23:11   #10
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Maybee as you advance into the Fuedal age and still dont have writing it makes it easier to get? Just a thought.
Old August 10, 2001, 23:47   #11
TechWins
King

Diplomat I think what you stated is correct. Unless for some werid reason what Steve said is right. Alex that's a good thought but I think it's the way Diplomat pointed out. Uncle Funk what you said is probably the motivating factor behind doing this.
Old August 11, 2001, 01:32   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:16
Supposedly you can't move forward to a new epoch until you have researched all the civ advances in the current epoch.
Old August 11, 2001, 01:41   #13
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:16
Does that mean you can't research any thing from an epoch above where you are at until after you have researched everything already? Or does it simply mean that you can't officially enter the next epoch?
Old August 11, 2001, 01:53   #14
KrazyHorse
Deity

You can't research anything from the next epoch until you have all the pre-reqs from the current epoch. The pre-reqs won't necessarily include every tech, but it will probably be a significant number of them.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 11, 2001, 02:09   #15
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:16
Ohhh! That sounds attractive! (the whole epoch pre-req thing)... I found it funny that, in Civ II, one could research automobile w/o actually having "The Wheel."
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 11, 2001, 04:10   #16
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 13:16
The epoch thing is definitely a good idea. It was kind of odd that you could choose between researching Polytheism or the Superconductor at the same time.

Hmm...it appears the direct path to Monarchy is going to be longer.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 11, 2001, 04:30   #17
Laszlo
Warlord

I've lost my tech tree map for Civ 2 by now, but I remember that some technologies blended from one age into the next. It was a subtle transition of the background colors, so I didn't notice it at first. I remember seeing it on Philosophy, Literacy, Invention, Industrialization, and Automobile I think, and maybe a few others.

When I discovered it, I thought that they were "key technologies" that unlocked the next age's techs. When that didn't seem right I thought it was the driver of the smaller time increments (20 to 10 to 5 to 1 years). I never really checked that out...but I had forgotten I thought about it anyway. (Could somebody tell me when the switches do occur? Thanks in advance!)

I just now realized that they just probably signify the new era by changing the faces of your cities, population, and advisors. Anyway, these "key" or gateway technologies could be used in some way like that.
Old August 11, 2001, 06:54   #18
Laszlo
Warlord

Technological Cohesiveness?
Maybe in Civ 3 they tried to implement some sort of technological cohesiveness. What I mean by that is every avenue of reasearch would be explored more evenly than would be required in previous versions where you just had prerequisites connecting stuff.

When you pushed too far in one direction it takes longer to reasearch, but lagging sectors catch up to the general trend more rapidly.

Imagine a sort of membrane spread over all your most recent techs. Anything conspicuously ahead is slowed down, while the valleys are given a break. Like a research push ahead of it's time is expensive, but a societal pull that instantly adopts latent technology.

It's a bit of a stretch to fit it over the Civ3.com Science Advisor's screen, but it looks like it just might be it. Writing takes only 3 turns b/c there's five technologies waiting on it. Polytheism only has Monarchy waiting, so it's 15 turns (plus Writing may have been worked on for a while in the screenshot). And last come Construction and Currency because they're the last of their line for the ancient age and overstretching a lot! Just look at the vertical alignment of techs to see what I mean.

Hope we get this riddle worked out soon.

Laszlo