Old August 11, 2001, 09:40   #61
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 13:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bee
Grim, what is laughable to me is to blandish a "it's so much work" excuse not to do something. If there are technical problems then that's an entirely different matter. Sorry if I did not make myself clear enough on this particular point. I was not attacking your take on this at all.
Oh, ok, no problem at all. I agree with you even!
Old August 11, 2001, 09:46   #62
SITS
King

Local Time: 12:17
On a semi-serious note have you considered contacting various Spanish based embassies to ask them to put pressure on Firaxis because of this slight to their history? A whole generation of Americans are going to be ignorant of important parts of history etc.....

It might work...
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old August 11, 2001, 12:25   #63
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
*shrug* You have to have a cutoff somewhere. I probably would have put it at 14 myself. However, I'm sure they've laboured with every possible number while writing the design docs. I don't think its pure coincidence. Anyway, that was vaguely adressed at LOTM and the rest of the "64 civs!" crowd.
OK - I'll take it on.

What is the rationale for a 14 cutoff instead of 64 cutoff? Too hard to create more? Yet whenever someone complains they are told how easy it is to create more with the editor - if firaxis jsut did that and shipped them with the game it would cut off all this stupid debate.

Is it the art? multiple leader graphics for each civ? now i may not be in the graphic doesnt matter at all crowd, but is that really a worthwhile trade-off?

Or is it the need to playtest and balance the "unique" civs. Thats what i think is the issue. and in return for that ahistorical and uncivish feature, we get a general deterioration in the Civ community.

They took an AOE type feature, and they are making this an AOE type community.

LOTM
Old August 11, 2001, 12:29   #64
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Aww, served well in Civ2, eh? As faceless, pointless, samey carbon copies of each other, that's how. I know! Let's double the number of species in StarCraft, I mean, sure it's perfectly balanced for three species, but six would give people more options so it doesn't matter if all the individuality and personality dissapears. Let's just change a jpg here and there and people probably will think they're completely different, tee hee.

Guys, it's a Design Decision. If you don't like it, this is really not the place to complain, because it's already in.

Starcraft!!!

Obviously someone who completely misses the point of what civ is all about.

Im not as much concerned about civs becoming carbon copies of each other, as strategy games becoming carbon copies of each other. Why must Civ become like every garden variety RTS? Its not a clickfest about different species, its a serious game about the history of humanity - oh, what's the use.

LOTM
Old August 11, 2001, 12:44   #65
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

its a serious game about the history of humanity

LOTM
I want it to be fun not some history lesson, yes it can be both but I would rather have a fun game thats a little fake than some extremly accurate boring game.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 11, 2001, 13:47   #66
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Now look who is missing what games in general are all about. Go make your stupid perfect realism mods, LoTM, and don't bother those of us who go for great games no matter what the genre is. You may be a dry history buff who wants to play a game to simulate your intensely boring and repetitive dreams, fine. Don't foist your crap on the rest of us. Puh-lease.
Old August 11, 2001, 14:23   #67
kittenOFchaos
Prince

4 the Dude...who slatted my arrogant and uncalled for (no-one called for this thread) post earlier on the spanish worthiness...

Uneducated...ha!

BUT honestly...the spanish only hit the conquest of empire in the 1500´s having only recently finished off the Moors (the only cultural sites of interest in Granada and MUCH of Andalusia!). They wiped out civilisations and replaced it with massive latifundos in Latin America...and it was pretty grime EVERYWHERE they went without exception.

Bringing christianity and pillage vs the 3 C´s of christianity, commerce and civilisation (of most western civs of the time) the spanish made ****ty places ****ter and none of these places appreciated Spain (no commonwealth heh) and generally escaped by revolt (Simon Bolivar).

What good did the wealth of spain bring...well it helped fund war to keep the holy roman empire and build a few more pointless cathedraels for the papacy but nothing tangible and worthy.

The empire was puny by the 1700s and dead in the 1800s after Boney invaded (Napoleon).

The 1900s Spain enjoyed losing all her empire short of some dust in north africa and then had a nice civil war followed by nationalist government and finally some democratic government.

Well, Richard Grenville is what I say to you! No papacy in civ3!

(only teasing ya...! go to montril...see the fun and games and culture is NOT about teasing bulls).

As for Halifax, we had the world´s first Jibbet first...the only remaining woolmarket (the Piece hall) MANY arts and crafts things (especially the WONDERFUL "Dean Clough") and Halifax only has the pride of the Wainhouse Tower and a town hall designed by the dude who designed the "houses of parliament" in London -the Palace of Westminster.

PLUS for culture who can deny the Colisseum of Halifax where mrs wet t-shirt can be had...or the multitude of classier clubs etc. IN combination with the Northern Broadside acting group playing alot in the cellars of Dean Clough PLÜS the Square Chapel venue for plays, music etc WE have plenty.

Go to Granada, look at the Moorish thing (and the amputees, there our tonnes)..got to Montril, commit suicide.

As for a third world...of course it exists, poverty vs wealth, health vs depridation etc.

The spanish would be nice in the game EXCEPT that their reign was not civilisation...it never brought that anywhere it went, it brought war, conquest and indoctrination to the one true faith...it destroyed more than it created...let is be a barbarian event like I hope the Mongols will be.
Old August 11, 2001, 15:20   #68
Waku
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish Civers
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
The spanish would be nice in the game EXCEPT that their reign was not civilisation...it never brought that anywhere it went, it brought war, conquest and indoctrination to the one true faith...it destroyed more than it created...let is be a barbarian event like I hope the Mongols will be.
You forgot to mention Cyprus, Israel, Kuwait, Appartheid, Northern Ireland, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Chile, talivans, Kachemir,... where anglosaxon brought the seed of war.

Some "more civilizated" countries don't have a rate of 0 (zero) dead penalties/year. God bless America.
Old August 11, 2001, 15:32   #69
Waku
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wille

I want it to be fun not some history lesson, yes it can be both but I would rather have a fun game thats a little fake than some extremly accurate boring game.
Yankees are too simple:

GOOD GUYS/BAD GUYS:
allies/germans
cowboys/indians
pirates/spanish
capitalists/communists
yankees/vietcom

You've been writing the same old story a long time ago, unfortunately it seems to work quite well for you as people only want to know who is John Wayne.
Old August 12, 2001, 01:55   #70
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 04:17
kittenOFchaos-

I'm that Dude...

You still missed my main points

1. The Third World is an anachronistic term. It was used during the Cold War and doesn't have a place in discussions any more. Those of us in the modern world now say "developing countries."

2. There are hispanic countries which aren't shanty towns. Are Spain and Portugal underdeveloped? It's great that you Brits go down to Ibiza to party, there's more to Spain than the beaches. There's more in Granada than the Alhambra. Try the Catedral and Capilla Real for non-moorish attractions.

3. I'm glad that you're proud of Halifax. You have to live there... but it's no Buenos Aires or Rio.

4. You say that Spain "messed up" it's colonies. Well as Waku said, no worse than anyone else. The Middle East is still chaotic because of the Brits. And, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in the 1900's EVERYONE lost their empire, not just Spain.

5. Again, I think the Spanish empire lasted from 1492 to the end of the Spanish-American War. I assume that you are classifying all of that as the "very quick" decline of a decadent civilization.

6. If you look at the way Latin America has turned out compared to the "brilliant" job that the rest of Europe did in Africa, you'll see how much civilization the Spanish brought. At least the Americas don't have multiple wars going on all over the continent that are a direct result of the colonial legacy.

The Iberians weren't perfect. No civ was. But don't treat Latin America like it doesn't exist or is filled with "shanty towns, cheap housing, dodgy electrics." At least visit Latin America before judging it.
Old August 12, 2001, 04:12   #71
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:17
This is a disturbing thread. I'm not ethnically Spanish, but I still hate to see some ignorant people knocking Spain's many accomplishments.

Does Spain deserve to have a spot in Civ3? Heck yeah. They only created the largest empire of all time. But in terms of "are they interesting" and would they add to the game, yes and yes.

The four biggest omissions IMHO are the Spanish, Arabs, Vikings and Mongols. Vikings aren't overwhelmingly historically important, but they more than make up for that with color. I'll bet anyone can easily think of special units for each of them.

Not so for some of the civs Civ3 decided to include. The Zulus? Please. I don't know what Snapcase was smoking when he said they "subjugated an area the size of Western Europe, with a population of millions". The modern country of South Africa is about twice the size of France, and Shaka Zulu only conquered a portion of that in his whopping 12 years of power.

My historical atlas shows at least 8 other sub-Saharan kingdoms in the 1820's that held as much or more land than Shaka did. The only thing the Zulus have going for them was nearby British and Dutch settlements to help record their events for posterity. And the only "interesting" thing that puts them above more deserving sub-Saharan civs like the Ethiopians is Shaka, a character that some people recall the name of. Of the many African empires that came and went in history, who knows how many other Shakas there were they we only dimly know of, if at all. If it weren't for the PC factor, the Zulus would be so gone (normally I'm a PC guy, but things like making Cleopatra black gives being "PC" a bad name).

The Bablyonians are another civ that shouldn't have made the first 16 cut. The Civ3 website admits they had to lump the Sumerians, Akkadians, Amorites, Hittites, Kassites, Assyrians, Arameans, and Chaldeans all together to give this civ enough significance. This is some kind of Frankenstein civ- the Hittites and some others in the above list have very little in common with the other groups - different languages, religions and so on. Do they have an immediately obvious military special unit? No. Terribly distinctive or well known? No.

But why do we argue about which civs should fit in the 16 limit, like dogs fighting over scraps? 16 is too small. The ONLY reason there aren't more is because Firaxis didn't want to do the work. As for playbalance, how much do you want to bet there will be an official expansion pack that somehow miraculously finds a way to balance in some new civs?

Unfortunately, it won't be easy for non-Firaxians to make new civs well - how does anyone propose the 3D units and leaders be made? And, as far as the screenshots show us, it looks like there is no room to pick from more than 16 civs at the start of the game, so if you add some, you have to take some out. I hope that isn't true, but that's how it looks.

Furthermore, chances are lots of different mods will pop up, and none will have the tons of hours behind them to have them properly playbalanced into the rest of the game.

I propose that people who care make a short list of "must add" civs and work together as a team to make one commonly accepted mod pack, done really well, rather than a bunch of mutually exclusive half-done ones. Not something I have time to spend on, but I know JB is the man if you want someone who knows the Spanish inside and out.
Old August 12, 2001, 04:33   #72
SITS
King

In CIV3 there new big thing is about culture. If you look at how many countries speak Spanish then you will see that the Spanish had a major impact on culture in a number of countries. I might be wrong but doesn't Chinese have the most people speaking it? But how many countries and continents have it as their primary language? Probably the most civilising empire was the romans who kicked our ass through several tech's (to use Civ terms!)

Kitten - you mention the third world (or the developing nations if you like....) Britain was the major contributor to their current poverty. In fact I would say we have had a major influence in shaping the modern world. There are 54 nations in the Commonwealth.

He is a quote from here

What is the Commonwealth?

The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of more than 50 independent sovereign states, which provide support to each other, and work together toward international goals. The Commonwealth is described as a "family" of nations, originally linked together in the British Empire, and now building on their common heritage in language, culture and education, which enables them to work together in an atmosphere of greater trust and understanding than generally prevails among nations.

Bringing together some 1.7 billion people of many faiths, races, languages, traditions and levels of economic development, the Commonwealth represents almost one-third of the world’s population.

The modern Commonwealth emerged in 1949 when it was agreed that India could remain a member on becoming a republic (prior to that, members shared a common allegiance to the British Crown).* Its growth accelerated in the 1950s and 1960s with the independence of many new member countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and the Pacific. [*Today, 33 Commonwealth countries are republics, 16 have constitutional monarchies with HM Queen Elizabeth II as their Head of State, and five have national monarchies of their own.]

You say about the impact of the Spanish being negative what about us the British and our empire? How many of those 54 nations are rich and are classed as developed? Lets not forget the Crusades...

I personally don't think the exclusion of Spain as a Civ can be justified. Their impact on the world has been massive. Not all of it positive but name an empire that was wholly positive on their impact of others? By their very nature they 'Arrest the Development' of smaller nations by imposing their own beliefs on others for their 'own good.' That is how the world works. The winners write the history books. I believe every nation has something to be proud of and every place has it own uniqueness and history. And Spain, in a game about Civilisations, about culture, about building empires belong there.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old August 12, 2001, 06:52   #73
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:17
Harlan,

Thanks for your support, man. It's the opinion of people who actually know, like you, Chris and others that I have just got to know in this thread that I was seeking when opened this thread. I am happy to see you around. But as you have noticed this is a lost cause. The big pile of ignorance, disinterest and bad manners displayed on this thread is definitely revealing that a major portion of Civ3 future users do not give a damn **** of whether Civ3 is or is not historically biased. Okay, that's fine with me now. I learned my lesson.

As for the future, if you are in as well, I am sure that making a patch that solves these and other potential problems will not be an impossible task to do.

One last time: this is not only about the Spanish being in or out, This is about the arbitrary way the designers picked the tribes. Of course, tribes ain't important, it's only a game, right? That was the lesson I've gotten. BS.

Oh, jsw, Waku and others, ignore kitten et al please. He is just trying to poke fun out of you. That, or his Spanish girlfriend dumped him and his hormones couldn't resist it.
Old August 12, 2001, 09:54   #74
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
But why do we argue about which civs should fit in the 16 limit, like dogs fighting over scraps? 16 is too small. The ONLY reason there aren't more is because Firaxis didn't want to do the work. As for playbalance, how much do you want to bet there will be an official expansion pack that somehow miraculously finds a way to balance in some new civs?
This sums up perfectly my opinion on this matter.

Oh, and Jesús, I'm sorry that I hadn't showed on this thread before to bring you my support (which obviously you know you have), but I knew since the beginning it was, as you said, a lost cause.

Besides, I don't normally enjoy discussion with people that don't know what they're talking about, and make use of bad manners to hide their lack of knowledge. Sometimes the Apolyton forums are fun, sometimes not.
Old August 12, 2001, 10:35   #75
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Bringing christianity and pillage vs the 3 C´s of christianity, commerce and civilisation (of most western civs of the time) the spanish made ****ty places ****ter and none of these places appreciated Spain (no commonwealth heh) and generally escaped by revolt (Simon Bolivar).
those who escaped the english at that time didn't want a commonwealth either AFAIK. English just still were stronger by that time.

Quote:
in the latino countries, there exists quite a degree of christian syncretism. mexican catholicism is quite different from european. granted, the treatment of the indios was horrible, especially in the caribic but in the 16th century, Spain had a bunch of fine humanists too (Las Casas, Motolinía, Quiroga in the Americas e.g.)
As if the english rule wasn't barbarian... They cared **** about the indians (just like the americans for a loong time), the boer wars weren't really heroic either. General Kitchener sent the skull of the dead Mahdi from Nubia to Queen Victoria as a drinking cup (OK, she was not amused) etc.

Barbarian acts lamentably were a standard tool of Civilizations until lately in history or even today.
Old August 12, 2001, 14:24   #76
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Well, I´ve played ALL the spanish civ2 site spain scenarios (good fun they were too!) and I still consider the spanish not so much a civilisation but a menace to civilised peoples (historically).

I would confess though to have been teasing you all thoroughly as I too see no reason for the 16 civs to have the iroquois and americans...

BEFORE THEM should be the Incas and the Spanish...the mongols I´m praying are a barbarian people that pop up in the middle-ages in a major continental area.

As to the realism arguement in civ3...get real...the transition egyptians to arabs etc is EXTREMELY difficult (if not impossible to create without railroading the game down a set path)...

P.S checked the cathedrael out in Granada...everytime I go to spain I get taken to cathedraels...YAWN...Barcelona´s were the best by far (Gaudi)...but that isn´t really Spain, that is Catalonia (soon to be fully independent? already it has got 30 percent spending control of taxes collected there, and has demanded 100 percent control...they feel that they shouldn´t have to support the poverty elsewhere in Spain -Seville and her 40 percent unemployment etc).
Old August 13, 2001, 15:52   #77
Waku
Emperor

Quote:
...everytime I go to spain I get taken to cathedraels...
c'mon! you were too drunk!!!
That's what all the brits do in their holydays in Spain.
Old August 13, 2001, 16:05   #78
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Now look who is missing what games in general are all about. Go make your stupid perfect realism mods, LoTM, and don't bother those of us who go for great games no matter what the genre is. You may be a dry history buff who wants to play a game to simulate your intensely boring and repetitive dreams, fine. Don't foist your crap on the rest of us. Puh-lease.

What games are all about? I was playing historical strategy games 25 years, ago, snap. Were you? games can serve different purposes, and can be fun in different ways. Im sure Starcraft is a great game, and i dont begrudge those who like that kind of game. But do all games need to be the same? shouldnt their features depend on what they are about? Does chess need unique protagonists? Does monopoly? Im trying to get at what CIV is about, not what games in general are about. Im not trying to make civ like a grognard historically accurate game, just trying to keep those historical features that seem essential to CIv, in my opinion.

Im also sorry you find history dry. Its actually fascinating, loads of fun. And no, I dont have intensely boring or repetitive dreams.

And no Im not interested in "stupid mods" I am interested in historical scenarios, one of the most interesting aspects of Civ2. And im rapidly losing interest in playing a features turned off version of Civ3. If this cursing and anger and disdain for history is what the Civ3 community is becoming, I doubt there is a place for me in it.

LOTM
Old August 13, 2001, 16:12   #79
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan

Not so for some of the civs Civ3 decided to include. The Zulus? Please. I don't know what Snapcase was smoking when he said they "subjugated an area the size of Western Europe, with a population of millions". The modern country of South Africa is about twice the size of France, and Shaka Zulu only conquered a portion of that in his whopping 12 years of power.
Perhaps this gives some idea of snap's concern for history:

"You may be a dry history buff who wants to play a game to simulate your intensely boring and repetitive dreams, fine. Don't foist your crap on the rest of us. Puh-lease. "

LOTM
Increasingly disillusioned with the future of the Civ franchise
Old August 13, 2001, 17:45   #80
Jay Bee
staff

LOTM, me too. Not to tell about the present
Old August 14, 2001, 04:04   #81
Alfonsus71
Chieftain

I agree JayBee, Spanish civilization should appear in any small report about human history, Spain controlled more than 40% of world land (some could say is an small part) for 3 centuries (some could say is a short time), but most important: It was the first Nation-State of the world (with France and Britain, centuries befoer Germany); it was the only empire that has a purpose (Spanish empire was to expand catholicism in the name of God and the Pope, and many spanish missionaries were out and died only for their religious believes, can you find other examples of that in other empires among history?); spanish arts and literature are unparalel; and its language, culture and influence is present in more than 500 million people, in 5 continents. Only 1 other empire in history, the british, have had lands in the 5 continents.

About why Spain is out of the game, or why people in this forum had said such things like "they were not a civilization", "they were a menace to civilization", "they were plunderers",... I think that´s because the anglo-saxon world has been at war with Spain for a very long time, and they had developed such propaganda in that very long war that still today many english and americans are unable to recognize the greatness of Spain. Many people still thinks (see any pirates film) that corsairs (whose job was to stole, kill, rape, ....) were good guys, while their spanish victims were bad only for being spanish. The ominious film "Amistad" from Spielberg showed an spanish ship with slaves and showed Spain as an slavish state, when slavery was prohibited in Spain since the XV century, and colonial slavery only progressed due to local corruption and disobedience to peninsular spanish laws.

But most important of that. Many have said that spain have plunder many civs like incas, aztecs,... But that civs or tribes were converted to catholicism, they mixed with spanish people, and now they still survive, and their cultural legacy, and more important, their people still are alive. Where are the iroqueses, sioux, pueblo, apaches, seminolas, maories, ... and all the other civs and tribes that had the bad luck of having contact with the english colonizers?. Do yo know any case of an english man or woman married with a native?. NO, they were a racist empire, and their only purpose was to plunder, kill and stingish older civilizations to expoil their natural resources, they had no interest in religion, conversion or something so. But ironically they are seem as the good now, and spain, american indians and others are the bad, simply cause they won and we lost. Think about it.
Old August 14, 2001, 04:13   #82
Jay Bee
staff

dp
Old August 14, 2001, 04:13   #83
Jay Bee
staff

Alfonsus,

Let it go, I think we have already made our point. Look at the number of spin-off threads this one has generated BTW, what are you waiting for to visit the Spanish Civ Site Forum?
Old August 14, 2001, 06:08   #84
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Alfonsus71
it was the only empire that has a purpose (Spanish empire was to expand catholicism in the name of God and the Pope, and many spanish missionaries were out and died only for their religious believes, can you find other examples of that in other empires among history?);
While I agree that Spain should be included as a great civilisation, I fail to appreciate the reason while that particular "purpose" of the Spanish empire distinguises it so much from the English who were "civilizing the savages", Russians who were "uniting the Slavic lands and brining the communist freedom to opressed workers" or Germans who were "seeking the live space and purity of arian race".
Old August 14, 2001, 07:20   #85
Simon Loverix
Warlord

Another good thing to say about the Spanish: They were very early to have a proto-parliament (the cortès), 1200 AD or something.

And empires have only one purpose: being the fattest, biggest and meanest around.
Old August 14, 2001, 13:52   #86
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 06:17
Quote:
...they were a racist empire, and their only purpose was to plunder, kill and stingish older civilizations to expoil their natural resources
While I agree with most of your post, this needs addressed. The Spanish were just as exploitative of colonies, just as destructive. In some ways, even more so. You seem to think spreading christianity was a good motive/incentive for the Spanish colonizers, something that made honourable the destruction of other cultures. With the express intention of destroying the subject peoples' religions and cultures, in order to replace them with a spanish one, they terrorized peoples, forced them to adopt spanish ways, destroyed artifacts, histories, religious items. They recorded these peoples' beliefs so that they could systematically destroy them! Spreading christianity seems innocuous or good to a christian, but the heathens were quite happy with their beliefs! Having another religion forced on your people is extremely offensive. As Waku mentioned, the americas produced a catholicism syncretous with indigenous religions - showing that those were very important to the people who kept them. They adopted the ways forced on them by the spanish, but did not let go of their own beliefs.

All the colonizing europeans were destructive and have much of their current wealth to thank on the colonies they plundered for centuries. The spanish were no exception.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 14, 2001, 15:32   #87
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
I agree JayBee, Spanish civilization should appear in any small report about human history, Spain controlled more than 40% of world land (some could say is an small part) for 3 centuries (some could say is a short time)
Don't you think this is an itsy bitsy exaggerated?
Like from 4% and 1 century?

Quote:
It was the first Nation-State of the world
What's that?

Quote:
It was the only empire that has a purpose
The Moors, who had to be defeated by the French for Spain to survive, had no similar purpose? Or the English, even today? The Soviet Union? The Romans?
Most empires imposed their religion on their conquests. If you look closely, however, that was never the real purpose. They all just wanted to get ever more powerful and wealthier.

Quote:
spanish arts and literature are unparalel;
So say many tribes. And most of these also contributed to science.

Quote:
Only 1 other empire in history, the british, have had lands in the 5 continents.
Spanish on the South Pole
But if you mean Europe, Asia, Africa, the Americas and Oceania, then so had the Dutch, the French and the Portuguese.

Quote:
The ominious film "Amistad" from Spielberg showed an spanish ship with slaves and showed Spain as an slavish state, when slavery was prohibited in Spain since the XV century, and colonial slavery only progressed due to local corruption and disobedience to peninsular spanish laws.
Right. Spain was boss, you said?
Old August 15, 2001, 00:59   #88
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Kitten is back in Britain and is VERY happy now...Spain is cool, if you're spanish (and not a married female if "the economist" is correct in what it says about domestic violence etc...read it and weep).

Name me a few great spanish scientists...any?
Old August 15, 2001, 01:01   #89
kittenOFchaos
Prince

more
Kitten is back in Britain and is VERY happy now...Spain is cool, if you're spanish (and not a married female if "the economist" is correct in what it says about domestic violence etc...read it and weep).

Old August 15, 2001, 06:38   #90
Waku
Emperor

Re: more
Quote:
British do this kind of things before they get married (even before they are teenagers)

Quote:
- La Cierva
- Isaac Peral
- Ramón y Cajal
- Severo Ochoa
- Miguel Servet
- Narcis Monturiol

I don't really know why the infierno have I searched 4 u this info. I'm fed up. Whether u like it or not Spain was once THE superpower, and as every other power it collapsed because of ignoring its potential competitors (among other reasons), sitting on its Ivory Tower, looking down on the rest of the world. You should take good note of this (or even better, don't do it).