Old August 11, 2001, 21:15   #1
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Playtesters Wanted
'The Battle of Australia' is now ready for playtesting. As I said on the 'secret project' post, it covers a Japanese invasion of Australia, with the player playing as the Australians, who incorperate some American and British units (I'm hoping to create something like 'Red Front' down-under )

If you're interested in playtesting this scenario please leave your email adress below, or email me at: nick_dowling@hotmail.com

Here's an in game shot of the Japanese attacking Brisbane:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	brisbane.gif
Views:	179
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1741  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 11, 2001, 21:18   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

And here's a shot of the Japanese attack on Sydney
(at the bottom left a Betty has just finished bombing my home town )
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	sydney.gif
Views:	176
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1742  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Last edited by Case; August 12, 2001 at 06:00.
Old August 12, 2001, 04:34   #3
Cal
Prince

Local Time: 12:20
Me! ME!!

WWII scenarios are my favorite!

My e-mail is CalvinAdam@aol.com
Old August 12, 2001, 09:37   #4
Grothgar
Prince

Everything Cal said but more

Grothgar_1999@yahoo.com

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old August 12, 2001, 09:45   #5
The ANZAC
King

Local Time: 07:20
send it on Case!
Old August 12, 2001, 11:08   #6
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 13:20
I'd like to give it a try Case!

our_man@space.com
Old August 13, 2001, 01:48   #7
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 06:20
You bastard ...
What the hell , send it to me. I mean it is not like I need to sleep this week.
Old August 13, 2001, 02:00   #8
SunTzu
Prince

WMCS44@aol.com
Old August 13, 2001, 06:20   #9
Case
Emperor

Thanks everyone, I'm currently writing the civlopedia entries before sending the scenario out tommorow
Old August 13, 2001, 19:53   #10
Case
Emperor

OK, I just sent the scenario out.
Here's a picture demonstrating that a passive defence dosn't work
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	victoria.gif
Views:	115
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1781  
Old August 14, 2001, 15:47   #11
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

What about me?
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
OK, I just sent the scenario out.
I sent you my email address in an email to you. does this mean you don't more playtesters?
Old August 14, 2001, 15:48   #12
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

What about me??
stupid slow forums. double post
Old August 14, 2001, 17:58   #13
Grothgar
Prince

Well this is a toughie isnt it. Japanese army units being made at places that get nearer the further they get when your militia units are destroyed. annoying to the extreme. However i did manage to keep them out of brisbane on emporer level mainly with a huge counter attack after letting brisbane getting bombed to within an inch of its life. About 25 sentinels and churcils were used as well as all my remaining AIF and planes and i managed to get them out of australia all together. it is tough but it is possible case with a little bit of tactics.
And then i decided to play as the japanese. Woah is that easy lol. i conquered the entire of australia in 12 turns.
mainly by using the kill militia to get japs idea it is easy to advance. but i was up until 4 in the morning playing it god damn so ill give you a full report soon when i get some damn sleep

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old August 16, 2001, 14:33   #14
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 13:20
I Just finished trying it on Deity, and the results weren't pretty... The Japs mopped the floor with me. By turn 30 my outlook was hopeless. I'll try it again on King level, hopefully I'll have better luck!

From what I've played however, I think the Japanese airforce is much too strong. I must have destroyed almost 50 bombers yet they still kept coming. Once you lose your Lightning's and Spitfire's, the situation is pretty hopeless. Wirraway's and Batteries are no match for the Japanese bombers.

The Japanese were attacking me with Beaufighters too! From the readme, the impression I got was this was meant to be an Autralian only unit.
Old August 20, 2001, 03:39   #15
Case
Emperor

Since everyone else seems to be posting graphics, here are some I've created for future versions of 'The Battle of Australia' (I'm still experimenting with their stats)

From left to right they are: Matilda II CS (a Matilda II armed with a 3 inch howitzer), AC3 (an AC1 armed with a 25 pounder), and AC4 Thunderbolt (an upgraded AC1 armed with a 17 pounder [which inspired the British to design the Sherman Firefly])
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tanks.gif
Views:	65
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	1900  

Last edited by Case; August 20, 2001 at 03:45.
Old August 20, 2001, 12:55   #16
Jimmywax
Prince

Looking good my man.

I have just one complaint about the scenario. I think there are way too many bombers. I was just thinking that if the Japs were strapped for supplies ( oil, iron ore, rubber) when they started the war, they just wouldn't be able to field that many bombers.

Overall I think it is a good scenario, definately playable, but still room for improvement.
Old August 22, 2001, 01:57   #17
Jimmywax
Prince

Okay, I am not liking the Jap marine to the south of Cairns who will not disappear. I think it would play better if you had a unit or two created in that spot every turn rather than one created when one is killed. If you keep it like it is you can never truly beat back the invasion. If you are concerned about the AI not being able to handle losing their beachhead, I have a few ideas to run by ya'.

Maybe have it in the events that if Cairns is taken back then more troops land to the south of it to cut it off. Another idea I had was that if the initial attack was defeated then you could have a randomizer event (or wharever it is) to represent either Japanese raids or troops dropped behind enemy lines. Then if you keep the bombers coming even at half the rate you do now. It will be more than enough to handle.

Those are just my ideas though.
Old August 22, 2001, 19:12   #18
Case
Emperor

Thanks Jimmy. I really like the Idea of Allied sucesses sparking further Japanese landings - its very sneaky

Everyone has complained about the bombers, so I've removed about a 1/3rd of them. It seems that the bombers which I hoped would support Japanese operations in Western Australia were being flown east
Old August 28, 2001, 16:47   #19
Case
Emperor

Know your friends
After the poster depicting a dog crying because its masters ship was sunk "because someone talked", this is probably the most corny American WW2 poster I've seen
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	australian.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2118  
Old August 29, 2001, 20:04   #20
Case
Emperor

There's now a rather nice preview of this scenario up on Civfanatics here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/Forum4/HTML/000346.html