Old August 11, 2001, 22:12   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civilizations
I'm not going to post a poll, but considering the civ-specific units & abilities, which civilization do you think you'll choose first when you start a new game?

Personally, i'll choose the Russians because i like scouting around and getting huts early in the game, a free scout will be perfect for this. Also because bronze working becomes avalible staight away, allowing construction of defencive units at the beggining of the game, oppose to waiting to discover bronze. Thirdly its hard to resist getting a free tech at the begining of each era, expecially if your behind in science. And finally because of the MiG unit, air attacks are very effective.
Old August 11, 2001, 22:30   #2
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:20
Babylonians!
I think I'll go for the Babylonians because of their scientific and religious bonuses. I like peaceful games more than military games. Also, I've always been interested in the Babylonian civilisation so it's a natural choice for me.
Of course, since all the civilisations have different units and characteristics I'll most likely try all the different civs to see how they play.
Old August 11, 2001, 22:42   #3
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 14:20
Definitely Russians. Good starting location with lots of ICS-abilities, scientific and expansionist abilities - a demand for a succesful game on the upper levels.

Aztecs also have a good location, having South America for themselves.
Old August 11, 2001, 22:47   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:20
i'll start a world map game as the americans, and throw in the Aztecs, and then a bunch of other races off the western hemisphere.

that'll let me expand a bit and **HOPEFULLY** trade with the aztecs, while keeping me distant from perhaps stronger AIs.

it will also allow the AIs to intertwine or destroy eachother. it'll let me see how good they are without me destroying them
Old August 11, 2001, 22:49   #5
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

I ussually play Babylonian... on a random world map.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 11, 2001, 23:07   #6
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 06:20
i'm more of a science oriented guy, and i love the occ/early city challenges. . while my first several games won't be early landing attempts, that nature will still influence my choice to be either greeks (commercial, science) or the chinese (science, industrious) . .

-theonion.com
Old August 12, 2001, 00:08   #7
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i'll start a world map game as the americans, and throw in the Aztecs, and then a bunch of other races off the western hemisphere.
I to will play the first game as an American. The second game as someone other than American. I will play all of them by the 20s game.

Old August 12, 2001, 00:19   #8
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:20
Quote:
**HOPEFULLY** trade with the aztecs, while keeping me distant from perhaps stronger AIs.
Well you better hope a lot because the Aztecs are militariastic. Good luck with that one.

I'll play as my fav. civ the Americans. Sooner or later I'll wind up playing with all the civs but mainly I'll play with the Americans. I guess it's just that stupid nationalism thing.

Quote:
air attacks are very effective.
I sure hope so because in Civ2 they were almost useless. Sometimes I would only have about 1 or 2 air attacks in a game because when I was taking over AI cities by the time I actually needed to use my air force they were too far away for them to be used. Something needs to be done here, does everyone agree?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 12, 2001, 01:04   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

well, in theory a stealth bomber can take off from Nevada and bomb the middle east and come back without a refuel, but that seems way too cheap in civ - terms.

i recommend fighters on a carrier be able to "scramble" as if they were in a city. makes carriers more defensive and harder to kill.
Old August 12, 2001, 01:15   #10
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'll play the Americans first. Second will depend on my mood, though I might restart before I finish the first and then play as the Americans again.
Old August 12, 2001, 01:22   #11
tniem
King

From what I know now, I am intrigued by four civs:

The Babylonians, the Japanese (Militaristic and Religious), the Chinese (Scientific and Industrious), and the Greeks (Scientific and Commercial).

When the game ships though that may all change. Certainly the expansionist's extra scout is going to be a huge advantage early. But the way I look at it at this time the religious no anarchy could be a slight advantage throughout the game and science's extra tech per age is also a slight advantage through the game. Should be fun then with the Babylonians...
Old August 12, 2001, 07:21   #12
Tventano
Warlord

Local Time: 13:20
In Civ1 I fairly often played on a world map. In the beginning often as Babylonian, Roman, Greek or Egyptian, because I still have the feeling that our civilization started in that areas. Later with all european powers, and the last year of Civ1 several times with england on a world map.

Civ2 I mainly played on random maps, because the world maps were not as nice made as in Civ1.

Now when random maps really will look better, it will give a larger element of surprise what and who you will meet.

Starting with a scout, sounds good, that means expansionistic.
The first few games I will try out all civilizations.

The very first game should not be too difficult , so probably Zulu on a random map at prince level. When I have the feeling I understand all new mechanisms this can be made more challenging.
Old August 12, 2001, 07:26   #13
Footie Mad
Prince

Whichever has the coolest theme-music But i'll probably play with a miltaristic civ the first game in ordet to explore all the new units.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 12, 2001, 07:33   #14
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Looking at the stats and my method of play, I would generally choose something scientific/economic/industrious to suit my gameplay needs. Actually it is a dilemma because I quite like the look of the expansionist bonuses as well. So Chinese, French or Greeks would be ideal for me. I will have to see how large these bonuses are though first...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 12, 2001, 07:57   #15
splangy
Prince

first, romans (militaristic, industrius) ill pump out good units at a rate that will astonish most.

then ill be off playing the rooskies (russians )(expansionist, science) and find all other civs and make a killing off technology and trade.

third time will be the babylonians to try a peaceful victory

after that ill play japs, aztecs and all real powerful millitarys ( i am a very violent player, i somtimes bomb ememy settlers deep into enemy teritory just to watch them die )
Old August 12, 2001, 08:17   #16
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
Well, purely objectively it ought to be the Egyptians, who have my two favourite attributes. However, it might be the Zulus, who have the coolest-looking special unit, or the Russians, who have my favourite historical leader.

Actually, I might try the Babs first. They seem to be the best Civ to explore the new concepts with- they'll produce culture most easily, plus their special unit comes relatively early in the game.
Old August 12, 2001, 09:03   #17
Footie Mad
Prince

Come to think of it i'l probably use a civ with an early unique unit in order to get an early golden age.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 12, 2001, 12:17   #18
skalman
Settler

Chinese or Greeks depending on who got the best special unit. But it might be the Americans or some other civ that have there special unit late in the game, that way it will be much esier to have my golden era around the 20th century where i like to have it.
Old August 12, 2001, 12:22   #19
Footie Mad
Prince

skalman - svensk eller?
Old August 12, 2001, 12:39   #20
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 06:20
Quote:
But the way I look at it at this time the religious no anarchy could be a slight advantage throughout the game
if civ3 doesn't have odeo years, yes, this would be an advantage . .

-theonion.com
Old August 12, 2001, 13:18   #21
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 09:20
I'm going for the greeks. Partially because I'm a builder player, and partially because the greeks are the only civ where I'm a natural leader (Alexander ).

I know that is not historically accurate (after all, Alexander was Macedonian, and his father Philip conquered the greeks, despite Demosthenes' warnings...), but I'm fond of the greek civilisation, anyway...
Old August 12, 2001, 14:24   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'll never forget the multiplayer game with my 9 turn anarchy going into republic.
Old August 13, 2001, 02:02   #23
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i'll never forget the multiplayer game with my 9 turn anarchy going into republic.
I am sure we have all had experiences like that. That is why the Religion bonus may be the most underrated. I think the lack of anarchy could be a huge advantage in multiplayer games. Even one or two turns could give you that slight advantage to take a city or build that wonder. And that effect could just then snowball.
Old August 13, 2001, 02:22   #24
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:20
Commercial seems to be underrated as well. Extra trade and reduced corruption, these look like great advantages in the early game, as increased trade makes for more money (no?! really?!!?!) and science. That is if the old way of research is still in, science=% of trade + improvements.

Combine that with the religious bonues and the Indians may be the suprise sleeper civ

As for my first game, I am leaning toward Japanese and Amercan... stronger toward American - those expansionist benefits look too cool...
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 13, 2001, 02:33   #25
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 08:20
Greeks = Science + Commerce
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 13, 2001, 02:38   #26
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:20
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Ow! That indeed looks good...
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 13, 2001, 05:50   #27
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
How did you find this out?

What do the other civs get?
Old August 13, 2001, 05:54   #28
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Go to Developer Update on Civ3.com, and click on the chart.
Old August 13, 2001, 09:11   #29
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 14:20
I'll do what I always did and neevre regretted... I'll choose.... the Germans!!!

UND JEDER DEUTSCHE, NOCH IN TAUSEND JAHREN....