Old September 8, 2001, 14:23   #121
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ambassador Fuentes doesn't even blink until Solo gets to the issue of "offensive weapons being in place somewhat near New Hope". That seems to catch her off guard somehow... Then, as he leans in close and asks his somewhat personal question, using her first name, she is obviously confused...
After a few moments, she regains her composure and responds in kind...

"Well, Karl, I can't answer your question if I don't know what you're talking about, can I?"

[OOC: The message from father Deacon has been received and will be answered shortly...]
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2001, 17:15   #122
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:21
OOC: So it begins... Solo and Fuentes on the other side, and Deacon and Davidson-Splertrovsky on the other side.
BTW DarkCloud, why are your character names so amazingly complicated?
Theodore will have hard time explaining that without Spartan-Hive air support the Locusts would be a major problem!

To: Ambassador Davidson-Splertrovsky

The Believers have agreed with the factions you mean that military assistance is most welcome. I see no reason why the UoP is concerned of matters occurring on the other side of Planet...
Are you saying that all military alliances should be banned by the Charter? Why is that - maybe because the University does not have much military alliances?
Old September 9, 2001, 18:33   #123
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:21
OOC: It is all part of Zakharov's Social Engineering Policies... He was trying to make descent easier to lable. And make life more uncomplicated

To: Father Theodore

The University is opposed to any and all covert alliances.
We know as well as do all the other factions what troubles they can cause... Look at World War I and III on Earth!

If there were no covert alliances we would have no trouble with many wars.

However, some factions... who are backward, such as the Believers and Cult do not know the true horror of war and how war sets factions' technology progress back hundreds of years.

Thus, consider what I have said.
Old September 10, 2001, 08:27   #124
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Ambassador Fuentes is still standing face to face with Spartan representative Solo, waiting patiently for him to explain what the hoot he is talking about because she really has no idea whatsoever. Solo, however, appears somewhat amused by her confusion and seems content to wait and see what she'll do next if he does nothing. Recognizing this, Fuentes realizes that the next move is hers and that further indecision will only make her look bad. So, with a small, interesting smile and a look that says "I'll get you for this!", she pulls away and turns her back on Solo. She takes a couple of steps, then stops and slowly turns to face him again. "Very well", she says in a loud and firm voice. "I'll go first then..."

"The Spartan think they are breaking no rules..." She turns to face some of the other delegations present. "Well, I suppose it comes as no big surprise to anyone, but it appears we have a difference of opinions here..." Turning back to face the Spartan delegation, she goes on... "I am well aware of the fact that Sparta has never signed any peace treaty with the Cult of Planet. -And yes, that is a matter between the Cult and yourselves. I wouldn't call Sparta's behavior over the past 17 years a very good example of restraint, though, but that is not the point here. The point here is that Sparta's efforts to keep the war going don't seem to mix very well with U.N. efforts to stop it, now do they, Mr. Solo? And that is not a matter between the Cult and yourselves, now is it? As a matter of fact, we Peacekeepers feel it concerns us very much indeed. -Especially now that you Spartans have deliberately caused an incident involving our forces by launching an offensive operation "somewhat near New Hope", to use your own words. Now, if you'll excuse me, I shall try to answer the questions raised by Father Theodore of the Believers. This should only take a minute..."

She turns around and returns to her own desk...

General Message
To: Father Theodore Deacon
Cc: Planetary Council

Father, with all due respect, do you mean to tell me you didn't know we had jets at New Hope? Or that you honestly thought we would not intervene? As I am sure you can see for yourself, I could quite easily turn your question around and ask what right you had to launch an offensive operation near one of our bases without informing us. However, I shall try to answer your question...
When our New Hope base was established in 2196, we publicly stated our intent to enforce a neutral zone in the border region in an effort to end the fighting and protect our humanitarian operations in the region. I am aware that Believers, Spartans and Hive do not agree with this and have never recognized the legitimacy of our operations. I maintain nonetheless that this is a legitimate U.N. operation as decreed by the U.N. Charter, and so this, dear Father, is the reason for our intervention.
As for your claim that you were "not informed" of the presence of U.N. air forces, there have been numerous official announcements to the effect that we would bring in any forces deemed necessary to safeguard our position. However, I suppose it is true that we never specifically told you exactly what was being brought in.
So, for your information, the following forces are currently stationed in the New Hope area:

4 regiments of U.N. Special Forces Assault Rovers
4 regiments of U.N. Marines
2 regiments of ECM Silksteel Sentinels
3 wings of Interceptors
2 wings of Penetrators

Because of the recent developments, these forces are now on alert. If the situation deteriorates further, they may be reinforced without further warning. We are aware that you will have objections and are prepared to discuss this both in and out of this council. -But then you will have to talk to us, won't you?
Old September 10, 2001, 12:47   #125
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 07:21
Address To Council

They call themselves Peacekeepers. But they do so only when it suits their purpose. Where were the Peacekeepers when the their allies are pushing the smaller factions around? He turns to the PK ambassador. Where are you when the Pirates try to claim the entire ocean for themselves? You say that you are in it for the good of humanity. Shouldn’t it be more like the good of humanity, when it doesn’t cause any problems for you. Your interference in this war is not for the good of humanity or even about this precious charter that you all hold so dear. It’s about ego. It’s about the fact that you just can’t stand that over half the planet doesn’t think like you do. You are repeating the same mistakes that caused the devastation back on Earth. The old UN was always so sure of it‘s moral superiority that they never stopped to think that they were causing more harm than good. And yet you go around doing the exact same thing here on Chiron. You are so blinded with your charter that you are threatening to destroy a fragile peace. Did you know that Believers really would like peace. But the fact that you have a base on their border with your so called peacekeepers, that you are ensuring that their never will be peace there. Never. You have ensured that a generation of Believers will see you as attempting to impose your brand of morality on them. This recent incident was a matter that was between the Cult, the Spartans, and the Believers. The only reason you were involved in the first place was that you decided that you are somehow better to judge right and wrong. Allow me to let you in on a little secrete. You have absolutely no authority, moral or legal, to decide that. Have you ever wondered why your allies abandoned you in the Planetary Governor elections? It’s because they didn’t trust you in that position any longer. Even they saw that your arrogance had overstepped any resemblance of reality. You are damage that cannot be repaired. Have you ever wondered why we attacked you early on? It’s because we knew what you would try to do. We knew that you would go down the same disastrous road that the old UN had done. You keep making the same mistakes over and over again. I want you to ask your allies, the ones you trust most. About what I am trying to get through your collective skulls. If they are truly your allies, they will tell you the truth. Think about it. Why did the Data Angels leave the Chiron Alliance. I bet that they have already made arrangements with the other members for individual pacts. Have they contacted you? Were they not your closest allies for a time. They seemed to be the only ones that came to your aid. While the others basically ran their own war effort, they at least made an attempt to help you directly. And yet now you find yourself in a position where you have one faction that looks after it’s own interests first. One faction that was so eager to formalize a treaty when you were still at war with another faction. And another that is none to please that you INVADED through their territory to reach a third party. And now you want to sit here and say that Sparta has been reckless. My daughter is sitting up in the observation lounge watching these proceedings just like she does most days. I brought her here so that she may form an opinion on other people based on her own observations. and not rely on official accounts. Last night she asked me why the Peacekeepers spent so much time trying to control the affairs of people that they don’t try to understand first. My answer was that it was a sign of arrogance. Despite what you might think, I hated to put it that way. But that is the only thing that I could come up with. You honestly think that your way of life is better. You are willing to die for that. But you are also willing to kill for that. That is why there will never be peace on this planet. You are unwilling to allow people to think differently from yourself. Diversity is the spice of life. It is what made humanity great. You are trying to kill that diversity in the name of peace. Humanity has always had wars. It is just apart of our being. But the wars were never as bad as when one side began to think that they could never be wrong.

Solo turns and addresses the council. The Peacekeepers are in danger of putting us on the same road as before. A question that I would like to throw out to each of the council members. Would you want these units sitting on your border or inside your territory?

Quote:
4 regiments of U.N. Special Forces Assault Rovers
4 regiments of U.N. Marines
2 regiments of ECM Silksteel Sentinels
3 wings of Interceptors
2 wings of Penetrators
At least the Pirates don’t pretend to care about your welfare or say it is because it is “our duty”.

He turns to the PK Ambassador. Colonel Santiago has authorized me to say this.

Quote:
If the Peacekeepers are so interested in peace on the western continent. Consider this. Withdraw all armed units from the area, evacuate military posts, and foreswear any colonization attempts on or around the Western Continent , and the Spartans will do the same. The ball is now in your court. We will see if you want peace, or merely excuses in expanding your territorial influences.
This should determine if you are peacekeepers or opportunists. We shall all be watching.
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2001, 15:10   #126
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

To: Ambassador Davidson-Splertrovsky

Since when have the alliances of the Spartans, the Hive and the Believers been a secret?

To: UN Representative Fuentes
and the Council

For some reason the Crusade Committee has never been accurately informed of the New Hope regiments.
Also I would like to doubt the integrity of even your current "true" list of forces stationed there.
The Peacekeepers are plain foolish establishing a base in an area where factions fight each other. Sooner or later New Hope will be stampeded, by what faction I can not tell. Withdraw, and some peace negotiations can be thought of.
Sometimes it seems that the Peacekeepers are the only thing between peace and war... They do not prevent war, but peace.
Old September 10, 2001, 22:10   #127
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
To: Ambassador Ian Davidson-Splertrovsky

Since when have the alliances of the Spartans, the Hive and the Believers been a secret?

To: Father Theodore

Ahem, I fully apologize for our factions' ignorance in the affairs of the council, we are sometimes besides ourselves and ignore certain duties while pursuing others... We wereCompletely interested in the nerve gas disaster at the time... Zakharov is readying a statement about that disaster as we speak.

To: Ambassador Ian Davidson-Splertrovsky
CC: Chief of Intelligence Merian Delian DeWalt-O'Walt

Ian- This is a warning. I will not have you embarrassing my country again, read all that is said and do not act until you have done so.

Merian- The same message applys to you as well as a last order for more concrete intelligence gathering and prevention of enemy spies spying in the University lands.

-Zakharov
Old September 11, 2001, 00:31   #128
[LordLMP]

Planetary Council, PCB

Captain Svensgaard was boringly keeping watch of the holomaps for something to happen when the Nautilus Ambassador at the council sent him a message. Annoyed, he took off from his flagship back within PCB in the Armoured Personel Chopper. Instead of going straight to the Embassy, he ordered the pilot to land at the landing pad beside the building where the Council resides. With help of his bodyguards, he got in the place without trouble and entered the Council hall for the first time in 10 years. He got there just in time to listen to the Spartan representive's speach. No one notice him there until the Pirate Ambassador saw him followed by the eyes of others. He sure did got mix reactions of him being here. He goes to the Nautilus Pirate desk beside his Ambassador, but doesn't sit down as he is about to reply to the Spartans speach, ignoring the Believer and University...

(OOC will post the reply tommorrow morning as it is to late for me to do so now... need sleep... yes, he sure moves around a lot :P embassy to flagship to council.......)
Old September 11, 2001, 02:22   #129
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Isabella Fuentes is getting ready to answer the Spartan when she notices Captain Svensgaard standing next to his own ambassador. She realizes that Svensgaard is about to address the Council and decides to wait and hear what he has to say. With a slight nod in Sven's direction, she settles back down and waits.
Old September 11, 2001, 05:20   #130
Sprayber
Emperor

Address To Council

As Representative Solo is finishing his speech, he sees the Pirate Captain enter the council. So instead of ending his speech he returns to the center area.

Ah I see the good Captain has joined us. It must have been something I said that struck a nerve. I suppose since my leader has not arrived yet, the burden of the Spartan people falls to me. I no doubt assume that the Peacekeepers will defer to the their allies the Pirates in this matter. They seam to do a lot of that. It must be because the Pirates get much practice in intimidation. I remember back when Fleet Anchorage was founded. The Pirates seemed annoyed that someone would dare establish a presence at sea without first paying tribute to the great masters of the sea. Where were the Peacekeepers and their famous sense of fair play? That’s right they were busy establishing their own presence on the Western Continent. Hmm. Let me see, the Pirates wanted dominion of the sea and the Peacekeepers claim dominion over relations between the individual factions. That doesn’t leave much for anyone else. If you don’t have freedom of the seas, and your policy is supposedly restricted by what someone at UN HQ thinks, that pretty much limits your rights as a free faction, or as we in Sparta like to call ourselves, a free nation. Let me try and remember a famous quote that I have heard a lot of recently. Ah yes, I remember it now.

Quote:
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself
your master.
Commissioner Lal was so right. I and many of my colleagues in the Spartan Federation witnessed first had the gradual and painful decay of the once great nation that the commissioner talked about. I especially think that the last part is important. Let me say it again.

Quote:
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself
your master.
Now we could replace information with so many other things and it would be equally true. Access to the sea. The right to determine our own future. The right to defend ourselves against constant aggression. The right not to have armies on our borders with no other purpose than to prepare for the eventually invasion of our homelands. --Solo looks over at the Pirate and UN delegation.-- Take a long look at these people. Look into their eyes. Ask yourself a very fundamental question. Do you trust these individuals to run your affairs. Sure, for now you can bet that Sparta and the Human Hive are the main focus of their attention. And it will be us that they attack first. But don’t kid yourselves into thinking that we are their only concern. --Solo turns the University rep.-- What do you think they will do to your precious labs when there is no Sparta? --He turns to the Morgan Rep.--You already know what happens when you dare to be independent from their vision of humanity. Trade restricted. Your bases used as bargaining chips in there alliance deals. --He turns to the Data Angel Rep.--You already know about the Peacekeepers tendency to not listen to a word you say. --He turns to the Cult Rep.-- How long do you think your prophet will last when you become the next faction on the list to receive due attention. --He turns to the Gaian Rep.-- Tell me how it felt to wake up one day and see foreign troops using your soil as a highway and not be told about it.--Solo makes his way back up to the center of the stage.--As you can tell the good Captain strode in here like he owns the place. Maybe he thinks he does. Maybe you all will let him achieve it. Maybe the dream of Captain Garland died a hundred years ago to be replaced by a slightly dull and unimaginative one. Did we come all this way to be reduced a bunch of subsidiaries to people who refuse to make the effort to understand our individual ways of life? Seventeen years ago, I was apart of the delegation that went to Peacekeeper territory to work out an end to a brutal war. I did this even though my wife and the mother of my child had been killed by the very same individuals. Killed by peacekeepers, torn apart and then send for public display as a weapon of intimidation. Now I’m not saying that we did any better. In fact we did far worse. The difference is now and always have been that we do not set ourselves in a special position as being able to determine right and wrong for others. But they do. I had high hopes for the future of Chiron after that historic meeting. But those hopes are unfortunately fading as I begin to see the true nature of these people across from me now. As we speak, Colonel Santiago is on her way to this meeting place. The Pirates intend to make that as difficult as possible. She didn’t have to come here at all. But she wanted to come here in the hopes that she would not have to send her son and daughter, along with many other sons and daughters, to die in some hell hole for the sake of arrogant pride. A person has a lot of time to think when they are inside a cryocell. You all know what it’s like.

Sparta does not want a war. Sparta wants to improve the life of its citizens. But that task is becoming increasing difficult because a few individuals who want a war. Let me be the first and last person to tell each and every one of you here. If there is war, Sparta will not stop until those responsible for starting it are destroyed. There will be no repeat of seventeen years ago. --Solo turns to the PK Ambassador--You will have to slaughter us all to get us to stop. And most importantly, you will have to start it yourself. Oh, I’m sure that there are certain people in this room that would be all to pleased to do it for you. But your precious charter will be soaked in blood forever. Some of you may find this all privately amusing. That may be perhaps because you think that it ends with Sparta. But be sure and look over your shoulder. Cause the next faction that goes may be yours. You all use the word vendetta too much that it has lost it’s meaning. We in Sparta know very well what the word means. And we intend to follow it to the letter. Do not think that you will be allowed to have a quick little war to achieve your political ends. We will stand against your tyranny until there is no one left. On a personal note, that saddens me. I so looked forward to taking my daughter back to Sparta to the place of her birth and to teach her the ways of her forefathers. But not if that means bowing to far away masters. Just remember….

Quote:
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself
your master.
Oh and I look forward to the Pirates and Pks responding to this by ignoring the facts of their interference and instead pointing to Spartan wrongs. Just remember that it is not us that occupies half the planet and seems to expand into everyone else’s backyard.
Old September 11, 2001, 06:48   #131
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

While the Spartan is speaking...

...the U.N. delegation sit in silence, watching and listening...

Ambassador Fuentes shakes her head at the assumption that "the Peacekeepers will defer to their allies the Pirates in this matter", but otherwise stays put.
When the Spartan asks the others to look into her eyes, she slowly turns to face the various delegations, trying to make eye contact with everyone present, starting with Solo himself. Her eyes are large and shiny as she does so, and she appears very sincere, very... vulnerable...
She once again shakes her head lightly as if trying to tell everyone that something's very wrong here, then returns to quietly watching Solo.
She nods lightly at the mention of the Haven City peace talks in 2183, then shudders visibly as Solo brings up what happened to his wife. Her eyes seem to get even shinier, and she blinks a few times before looking up at him again.

Finally, as he turns to face her and states that "You will have to slaughter us all", it is clear that she has had enough. -Or rather, she has had too much. She begins to shake her head, a look of fear in her eyes, followed by more sadness... Her lips quiver momentarily, she blinks a few more times and swallows hard, but she refuses to turn away. Her eyes are on Solo for the rest of his little speech. When he finishes and turns away, she turns back to a terminal on her desk and starts typing furiously, still blinking and shaking her head...
Old September 11, 2001, 08:19   #132
[LordLMP]

[OOC: hmmm, after today, what a lot of solo said made sence.... i pray for all in NYC and washington...]

Planetary Council, PCB

after a moment of silence, Captain Svensgaard replies:

I will not point any fingers and I agree with several things Solo as said, despite the spartans making hyprocrite of themselves. So I have a proposal for all of Chiron, especially to the east and the west. The Nautilus Pirates will be willing to recall all military units back to Nautilus territory. Will recall all personel based at the Athen Outpost and the ships currently intercepting the spartan task force heading to Redemption Base. I will make sure no Pirate ship anywhere ever harrass ship of another faction again. We will even withdraw from the Chiron Alliance and disband a percentage of our military.

But, we will do all that only if the Spartans, the Hive and the Peacekeepers completly withdraw all military units from the Western Continent. That the both the believers and cult to cease all hostilities between each other. That all factions keep their military units inside their territory. Any factions agree to that and break the conditions afterwards, the Nautilus Pirates will declare pernament Vendetta on them.

So if the factions, including the Spartans, cannot do that. Then stop complaining about what the Peacekeepers or the Nautilus Pirates does. I am sure no one is fond of hypocrisy.

Last edited by ; September 11, 2001 at 21:58.
Old September 11, 2001, 08:31   #133
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

U.N. Ambassador Fuentes slowly stands to speak, deliberately shuffling around and taking some extra time to make sure she has everyone's attention before she starts. Then, with a strange smile and a determined look, she turns to face the Spartan representative Solo...

"Well, Mr. Solo, you know I'm going to say something you're not going to like, so I guess this is where you shoot me and give a long speech about how your action was justified because you knew whatever I might have to say would be wrong."

She takes a brief look around, takes a deep breath and closes her eyes...

...after waiting for several seconds, she opens her eyes, takes another brief look around before she turns to face Solo again with a raised eyebrow...

"No?
That's funny...
After that little speech you just gave, one would think you'd be doing the world a big favor..."

She pauses for another few moments...

"Well, I guess you'll just have to bear with me then...
Now, let me get this straight... Sparta attacks us, occupies one of our bases, rounds up civilians and executes them by the thousands... Sparta attacks us again, enters another one of our bases and massacres our children with nerve gas, and now you want to sit here and tell us that we are the bad guys?

-Interesting logic... Truly fascinating..."

She pauses again and looks around before turning back to face the Spartan delegation...

"Mr. Solo...
You stand here and complain about how the Pirates have been mean to your people and denied you rights that you feel you were supposed to have... -but in the same speech, you try to explain that your people attacked mine because you knew we were going to make bad things happen..."

"So... what is your point? Do you even have a point?"

"By your own logic, the Pirates have been and will be justified in taking any action they may see fit against Sparta. All they have to do is say they knew you were up to no good, and we're all supposed to just accept that and get off their case. Likewise, I could use your logic to justify certain actions taken by U.N. forces against Sparta... I could use your logic to justify what happened to your wife... -But I'm not going to, because I don't accept your logic."

She turns away from Solo and appears to ignore him for a while as she addresses the council...

"No matter what the Spartan might try to tell you, we don't want to run your affairs.
We never claimed superiority over anybody, and we never said we couldn't be wrong."

"However, we do insist that you all have the right to choose your own way of life, we do insist that this comes at a price, and we do insist that this price is that you also have to allow other people that same right."

She turns back to face Solo again...

"If that is so horrible, then go ahead and shoot me."

"But don't try to talk morality to my people afterwards, and don't try to blame me for whatever might happen to your daughter..."

Without another word, she returns to her seat.

Last edited by Guardian; October 8, 2001 at 14:58.
Old October 4, 2001, 13:13   #134
Sprayber
Emperor

[OOC: The timeframe may be a little wacky but Solo just can't help himself but to repond to this. I'm going to assume that Santiago is in Believing territory cause this would be a few days after the incident with the pirate fleet. Afterwards she decided to wait for the outcome of the election there at Redemption base. Too many things going on with the border incident and things.]

Representative Solo stood up in the council

First of all on behalf of Colonel Santiago and the Spartan people, I would like to express our thanks for the confidence shown by our esteemed colleagues in the Human Hive, Believers, and University for their support. I would also like to officially cast the Spartan votes to Colonel Santiago.

If I may, I would like to address the proposal made by the Pirates. I believe that it sounds all wonderful on the surface but what the Captain has stated is that they will do all those things if everyone magically starts getting along. I believe that Colonel Santiago’s proposal is more realistic and indeed she has given permission to offer the same terms to Captain Svensgard. For those that missed it, I will transmit the offer to your individual desks. We in Sparta do not presume to talk for our ally, the Hive. They are a great people and can speak for themselves. I believe that Chairman Yang or the Hive representative would be in a far better position to speak. Like us, they are only interested in preserving their way of life against outsiders. Let it be known however, that Sparta will not abandon the Believers. They are our ally and friends. Whoever fights the Believers, fights the Spartans.

Quote:
If the Peacekeepers and Pirates are so interested in peace on the western continent. Consider this. Withdraw all armed units from the area, evacuate military posts, and foreswear any colonization attempts on or around the Western Continent , and the Spartans will do the same. For the Pirates. Freedom of the seas is an important right for all nations. Cease your interference on the seas and dismantle Athens Outpost and we will be content with our current land holdings. The ball is now in your court. We will see if you want peace, or merely excuses in expanding your territorial influences.
Thank you for your confidence.

[OOC: The Spartans plan on turning over their military assests on the Western Contient to the Believers. That way they will be freeing up some resources for some other units for closer at home ]
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 5, 2001, 18:30   #135
Natan
Prince

To: Planetary council
We would agree to the following agreement as regards the western continent:
The Hive will withdraw its forces from the Western Continent if:
-The Pirates agree to dismantle their presence on the eastern continent, including Athens outpost and personell based in Drone territory.
-The Cult agrees to stop all acts of agression, including through the use of mindworms, against all factions.
-The cult and the pirates agree not to distribute propaganda in the territory of the other signatories of this agreement without their permission.
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2001, 11:21   #136
Kassiopeia
Emperor

To: Planetary Council

As some might remember, the Lord's Believers have committed themselves to engage peace talks after the Governor election has been resolved, to be started at a location chosen by the next governor.
To further assure the Council of our desire for peace, Sister Miriam is prepared to declare a cease-fire on the Third Crusade, if the Hive Central Committee's demands

Quote:
- The Pirates agree to dismantle their presence on the eastern continent, including Athens outpost and personell based in Drone territory.
- The Cult agrees to stop all acts of agression, including through the use of mindworms, against all factions.
are being met.

The cease-fire is to be continued indefinitely, until a more stable agreement can be made after the election. But, should the Cultists attack Believing forces, which will be withdrawn into our territory as soon as Cha Dawn agrees with the cease-fire, then vendetta will continue. As a reminder, Cha Dawn should not think that the Believing armed forces aren't vigilant, cease-fire or no cease-fire.

For now, the Peacekeepers are allowed to patrol the area between the Cultist and Believing borders, to make sure the cease-fire is taking place, but it is most certain that the peace accords will bring up this matter.
I wish to remind the Council that if the Cult-Believer war ends, it is not likely to have any more Spartan and Hive forces on the Western continent.

The Believers are ready for peace, but are others aswell?

Father Theodore Deacon
Old October 8, 2001, 09:00   #137
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 22:21
[Council Liaison Aron Fleischer rises to speak...]

I applaud Father Deacon for the expression he has delivered, and the overture his nation has made in general. However, Father, I fear that your plea may have fallen on deaf ears.

Captain Svensgaard's statements are deeply troubling to me. He threatens permanent Vendetta against any faction reneging his proposal. Such actions are not mandated by the U.N. Charter or any other agreement, and they smack of reactionism, interventionism, and political naivete.

[Looks in Svensgaard's direction] Do you fail, Captain, to understand the seriousness of war? [Sweeps arm in general direction of Cult delegation, then Believing delegation] Ask the Believers and the Cult what it is like. [Gestures towards Hive, then Free Drone desks] Ask Foreman Domai and Chairman Yang what war is, Captain. Infrastructure destroyed. Cities razed. People wandering homeless. Economies and livelihoods in ruins. War is not glory, it is not victory. It is pure misery.

You ask nothing less than the acquiescence of sovereign states to your own visions of peace, without considering their compatibility with the visions of others. And your demands are not proportionate. The Nautilus navy is the largest on Chiron and it can cover the most territory. [Nodding towards Karl Solo and the Spartans] I am not a military man; but I hope the honorable Spartan delegation will indulge me for a moment. You demand that the Spartans dismantle their entire forward deployment, essential for their own self defense. In exchange, you will evacuate a small radar post, and offer lukewarm words against privateering. I would forgive Colonel Santiago for dismissing your proposal.

Spartan units are deployed in only small areas of Believing territory, and they are there by invitation. In contrast, Morganic and University sovereign waters were violated by Pirate vessels on thirteen separate occasions over the last two months. Article XV of the U.N. Charter, Second Revised Edition, which our former Alliance supposedly reveres as their bible, states, "No party shall place combat personnel or equipment in the territory of another party, without the express consent of that second party, preferably formalized in written or other contract." Did the "Peacekeepers" seek permission before building a fortress in Cult territory, flouting Believer airspace, and marching armies across neutral Gaian soil? Did the Nautilus High Command warn us before sending heavily armed destroyers through our waters, disrupting merchant routes and terrorizing the civilian population?

History has proved that there is always a way to engagement. But it must be based upon open and earnest discussions, catering to the needs of all parties. You have not learned your lessons from Versailles and Oslo: entente is a choice, it cannot be forced on anyone. You would disarm and humiliate the Spartan Federation, Morgan Industries, the Human Hive, and any others who dare to exercise their democratic rights. To paraphrase a famous 21st century writer, when such as us hear the words "peacekeeping mission" or "nation-building" we feel the shadow of world government and hear the whine of black helicopters.

Every day your media and government claim that all peoples have a right to be independent. I believe it was you, Captain, who said that no-one is fond of hypocrisy.
Old October 8, 2001, 13:51   #138
Argonaut
Prince

General Message

I'm afraid I must concur with Council Liason Fleischer on this matter. Captain Svensgaard, while your proposal is certainly noble and I'm sure well intended, it is also idealistic and unfortunately unfeasible. I would like nothing more than to see an end to war, and factions restricting all movement to their own territory. But let us be realistic. War exists on this planet, and factions need to be prepared to defend themselves. For there are agressors among us who would take advantage of such weakness.

While I applaud your noble sentiment, it is unfeasible at this time. However, the need to find a resolution to Believer-Cult conflict is the first step towards such a peace. And making sure that the conflict does not merely become a theatre for further tensions between the U.N. Peacekeepers and the Spartan Federation.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2001, 15:13   #139
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

[OOC: Edited previous post with some answers to Spartan criticism...
Look a little higher up before you read this... ]

Ambassador Fuentes once again stands to speak in the council...
This time she is actually smiling a little...

"Looks like we finally have a constructive discussion going here.
So far, the proposal that seems the most reasonable to us is that of the Believers."

She pauses for a moment, then nods lightly and starts to sit down.

"I have nothing further at this time."

[OOC: Wow! Peacekeepers backing Believers?? Could happen!
Let's see what happens next... ]
Old October 9, 2001, 02:12   #140
Sprayber
Emperor

“Representative Solo waits patiently as each representatives speaks to the council. When it is his turn once again, he rises and looks at each of those assembled. I don’t think the Peacekeepers are listening to what we are saying. Each and everyone one of us has at some time been guilty of pressing our views on others. In the beginning, Sparta did just that when our first war with the Peacekeepers began. The prevailing opinion in Sparta at the time was that Lal and the Peacekeepers would not stop until Chiron was controlled by the UN. There were many other things going on at this time, but those are unimportant now. That war is in the past. The second war was just as complex. And if I remember correctly many in this room were all to eager to join in with the fighting. But again, those reasons did not excuse the letting of blood for no gain. But that was seventeen years ago. For the last seventeen years Sparta and the Hive have been trying to concentrate on building our infrastructure and providing for our citizens. The Believers have been fighting back against the diabolical use of native life forms as weapons of terror. In fact the recent crisis on the Western Continent was caused by the cults continuing effort to use native life forms as weapons. Spartan forces were sent into the region because we had witnessed the cult deliberately spreading spores for the sole purpose of encouraging native life forms in attacking Believer territory. It is ironic that while the Peacekeepers were so concerned with us that they did not see what was happening. Perhaps they should have turned around and looked behind them towards the cult. The peacekeepers are so concerned about nerve gas that they forget that mind worms are far more insidious. I hope that they are not like the Pirates and simply look at numbers in determining how bad a weapon is. Rest assured that the issue of native life forms as weapons will be brought up in these halls again.” Solo turns to the Pk ambassador. “You asked me what my point was. It is this. While Sparta has no doubt acted without mercy during many times in the past, we have overcome that and returned to our original purpose. We wish only to live under our own terms and without interference from your interpretation of how we should live . We want to live without interference from UNHQ, or any other far away capital. You say that you do not wish to impose your vision of humanity on the rest of us, but yet places like New Hope, Athens Outpost, and on occasions this very base speak to the contrary. In short you have become a victim of your own idealism. You cannot live up to your ideals without forcing us and the rest of Chiron into towing the line. The line according to UNHQ that is. I fear that your idealism plus the often reckless behavior of some of your allies will cause a third war. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not next year. But cause one nonetheless. What you must ask yourself is this. Is your ideals so important that you are willing to plunge us all into war over? Also you must ask yourself is this truly a case of only Sparta and the Hive not going along. From what I can tell, all of the factions here have one thing in common. We all at some point have had you tell us how it should be and that we are somehow less important than your overall vision. I don’t know what caused your falling out with the Data Angels, but I would be willing to wager that it had something to do with what I just described. And I would be willing to further wager that if you ever told the Pirates what they should be doing, you would get a resounding its none of your business. It’s nothing personal Isabella. It’s just that none of us like being dictated from high upon Mount UNHQ. I will transmit the data taken from the Spartan aerial drone. It may clear up some things on the recent crisis. I will also retransmit Colonel Santiago’s proposal to you. I am sure that Commissioner Lal will be eager to go over them in detail.

I would like to briefly state that Sparta will support whatever decision the Believers make regarding the disposition of the current conflict. I would also like to thank the council for it’s indulgence with my speeches. But I felt that it is important for the Peacekeepers to look upon their actions from another perspective and expose the dangers that face us regarding certain factions.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 9, 2001, 02:46   #141
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Ambassador Fuentes listens to Solo's speech with a slight frown on her face.

When he is finished, she stands again to answer him.

"Must be very convenient to be Spartan", she mutters.
"It seems no matter what happens and no matter what you do, it is never your fault and you never have any responsibility. You just point an accusing finger at somebody else and say that it's their arrogance that caused it. Must be very convenient indeed..."

She pauses momentarily, then lightens up a bit.
"Nevertheless, we shall consider some of the things you have said, and in spite of what you seem to think, such considerations are not unknown to us. Perhaps if you hadn't been so busy preparing for the war you're so sure we're going to cause, you might have noticed."
Old October 9, 2001, 11:22   #142
Sprayber
Emperor

Solo listens and a small smile starts to spread across his face. He waits for Ambassador Fuentes to finish her response and starts to rise but sits back and quickly types out a message.

Private Message
To: Ambassador Isabella Fuentes

Ambassador, our faults are well known to us. We just want to make sure that you don’t begin to forget that the Peacekeepers are not immune to being wrong. And as preparing for war, our plans are currently directed at a certain ally of yours. That is where the war will start Isabella. And your government will be just as guilty as they are now, and we were in the past.
Old October 9, 2001, 13:34   #143
Kassiopeia
Emperor

In order to avoid "dead air", Father Deacon rises up to speak after quickly negotiating with his colleagues.

"The Peacekeeper support for our proposal is most welcome. If the Hive's demands are met, we can negotiate", Deacon says, carefully looking at the Pirate delegation.
"I am also glad to announce that a Believing assault planned on launching later today has been cancelled, and that some of our troops have been called back home.
Although the Cultist delegation has not yet replied to our proposal, nor accepted the cease-fire, we are firm in our belief that Cha Dawn has nothing against peace. I would also like to remind the Council that the Believers vote for Colonel Santiago as Planetary Governor, who will hopefully be a major player in the forthcoming negotiations.
But now, I advise to Peacekeepers to inform the New Hope base to "start packing", so to speak."

(OOC: Where are you Cyber? We need you here ASAP!)
Old October 9, 2001, 15:23   #144
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Private message
To: Representative Karl Solo

Peacekeepers immune to being wrong?
That's your idea, not ours.
We still consider ourselves human...
Old October 9, 2001, 16:52   #145
Cyber
Warlord

OOC: Sorry, hellawa lot of of work to do the last few days Spray, you mean with " spreading spores deliberately by day" the commando copter fiasko? And waht drone recordings

Captain Svensgaard, your speech has been brave, and seems it has made alot of representatives nervous and disagreeing. But atleast you have made things move finally.

And representative Solo, you truly know how to blame people, don´t you? Our diabolic use of native life, the spreading spores in Believer territory. Oh, believe me, representative,we don´t need to spread any spores, the polluting industry of the Believers is doing it to themselves.
Don´t blame us everytime your bases are attacked by native life. Its your own fault, representative Solo.

The Believers have attacked us three times already, just because we treat native life equally and use them as a weapon of self defense, not as a diabolic weapon of terror, that you described. We have never even provoked them, we´re just a threat because we too different for them.

Or maybe you are just scared. Scared that we have something you cannot beat, thats why you are constantly painting us and our mindworms the ultimate devils. Am I right, representative Solo?

But thats just you, Spartans. Waht you dont understand, you must destroy.

I apologise for the long wait for the answer on the cease-fire, I have been negotiating with Cha Dawn about the current situation.

Father Deacon, we are wholeheartedly willing for peace talks, and a cease-fire before that.
We will stop all agression against all factions, and will continue to use mindworms for self-defense, and we will not, as if we ever had, spread propaganda on the territories of other signatories.
We in turn would like to see nothing more than the old pre-war borders to be restored, and please, some willingness to establish healthy relations from your side also.
If mindworm attacks still occur in your territory, as they probably will, I seriously suggest you do something to your polluting industry, as we are not the quilty ones.

We will start pulling our troops back from the front, as soon as there is a decent peace treaty, but as of now our troops are being called back to their original positions, and are now strictly defensive.

Father Deacon, I truly hope this will be the first step towards a lasting peace finally between our two sides.
Cyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2001, 16:53   #146
[LordLMP]

Quote:
If I may, I would like to address the proposal made by the Pirates. I believe that it sounds all wonderful on the surface but what the Captain has stated is that they will do all those things if everyone magically starts getting along. I believe that Colonel Santiago’s proposal is more realistic and indeed she has given permission to offer the same terms to Captain Svensgard. For those that missed it, I will transmit the offer to your individual desks. We in Sparta do not presume to talk for our ally, the Hive. They are a great people and can speak for themselves. I believe that Chairman Yang or the Hive representative would be in a far better position to speak. Like us, they are only interested in preserving their way of life against outsiders. Let it be known however, that Sparta will not abandon the Believers. They are our ally and friends. Whoever fights the Believers, fights the Spartans.
Tell me Solo, how is my proposal is unrealistic? Why is it unrealistic for all the factions to accept? Would allow all factions to keep their sovereign rights, to keep to themselves without outside interferences.

Captain Svensgaard
(at the Planetary Council)
Old October 9, 2001, 17:04   #147
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Natan
To: Planetary council
We would agree to the following agreement as regards the western continent:
The Hive will withdraw its forces from the Western Continent if:
-The Pirates agree to dismantle their presence on the eastern continent, including Athens outpost and personell based in Drone territory.
-The Cult agrees to stop all acts of agression, including through the use of mindworms, against all factions.
-The cult and the pirates agree not to distribute propaganda in the territory of the other signatories of this agreement without their permission.
The Hive will only leave the Western Continent if we leave the Eastern Continent? The Hive have to realize that we have nothing in the Western Continent and we don't distribute propaganda anywhere in Chiron. The Nautilus Pirates is Neutral concerning of what is happening in the Western Continent. The only matters we care about is ones of the seas.

The Nautilus Pirates will not abandon the Athen Outpost without something in exchange. The Hive presence doesn't directly affect the Nautilus Pirates.

Captain Svensgaard
Old October 9, 2001, 17:43   #148
[LordLMP]

(OOC: I see nothing wrong for Svensgaard to achieve Diplomatic Victory in this game, where where everyone has a Friends for Life treaties with each other :P)

Quote:
Captain Svensgaard's statements are deeply troubling to me. He threatens permanent Vendetta against any faction reneging his proposal. Such actions are not mandated by the U.N. Charter or any other agreement, and they smack of reactionism, interventionism, and political naivete.
Why would it trouble you? If everyone agrees to my proposal and achieve world peace, why would any faction be crazy enough to ruin that peace? My threat of pernament vendetta would only trouble the ones who breaks the peace after they Agree to my proposal of world peace.

Quote:
[Looks in Svensgaard's direction] Do you fail, Captain, to understand the seriousness of war? [Sweeps arm in general direction of Cult delegation, then Believing delegation] Ask the Believers and the Cult what it is like. [Gestures towards Hive, then Free Drone desks] Ask Foreman Domai and Chairman Yang what war is, Captain. Infrastructure destroyed. Cities razed. People wandering homeless. Economies and livelihoods in ruins. War is not glory, it is not victory. It is pure misery.
Don't you realize that your speaking to a person who is from Earth, the craddle of humanity? No conflicts on Chiron as ever match the scope to what I have seen back on Earth. So don't try that guilt trip on me.

Quote:
You ask nothing less than the acquiescence of sovereign states to your own visions of peace, without considering their compatibility with the visions of others. And your demands are not proportionate. The Nautilus navy is the largest on Chiron and it can cover the most territory. [Nodding towards Karl Solo and the Spartans] I am not a military man; but I hope the honorable Spartan delegation will indulge me for a moment. You demand that the Spartans dismantle their entire forward deployment, essential for their own self defense. In exchange, you will evacuate a small radar post, and offer lukewarm words against privateering. I would forgive Colonel Santiago for dismissing your proposal.
If you call the Spartans units outside of their territory self-defence, then base that logic, Athen Outpost is the Nautilus Pirates self-defence.

Also, I haven't stated my vision of peace, just my proposal. "Assumption is the mother of all screw ups" just to say.

Quote:
Spartan units are deployed in only small areas of Believing territory, and they are there by invitation. In contrast, Morganic and University sovereign waters were violated by Pirate vessels on thirteen separate occasions over the last two months. Article XV of the U.N. Charter, Second Revised Edition, which our former Alliance supposedly reveres as their bible, states, "No party shall place combat personnel or equipment in the territory of another party, without the express consent of that second party, preferably formalized in written or other contract." Did the "Peacekeepers" seek permission before building a fortress in Cult territory, flouting Believer airspace, and marching armies across neutral Gaian soil? Did the Nautilus High Command warn us before sending heavily armed destroyers through our waters, disrupting merchant routes and terrorizing the civilian population?
Thirteen seperate occasions in last two months? You consider escorting merchant vessels via your waters disrupting and terrozizing civilians? According to the Global Trade Agreement, the Nautilus Pirates as the rights to escort any merchant vessels that request it. If our ships happen to scare your people, it is not our fault.

Quote:
History has proved that there is always a way to engagement. But it must be based upon open and earnest discussions, catering to the needs of all parties. You have not learned your lessons from Versailles and Oslo: entente is a choice, it cannot be forced on anyone. You would disarm and humiliate the Spartan Federation, Morgan Industries, the Human Hive, and any others who dare to exercise their democratic rights. To paraphrase a famous 21st century writer, when such as us hear the words "peacekeeping mission" or "nation-building" we feel the shadow of world government and hear the whine of black helicopters.
Where in my proposal did i say I want to dismantle your militaries? Are you def man? I said all factions agrreing to the proposal require to withdraw all military back into their territories.
I suggest you rewind your recorders and listen again to what i have said.

Quote:
Every day your media and government claim that all peoples have a right to be independent. I believe it was you, Captain, who said that no-one is fond of hypocrisy.
Nautilus Pirate Media can say the hoot they want and the Nautilus Pirate Government say some factions should stop sending ambassadors to the council who has earing problems.

Captain Svensgaard
Old October 9, 2001, 17:55   #149
[LordLMP]

Quote:
I'm afraid I must concur with Council Liason Fleischer on this matter. Captain Svensgaard, while your proposal is certainly noble and I'm sure well intended, it is also idealistic and unfortunately unfeasible. I would like nothing more than to see an end to war, and factions restricting all movement to their own territory. But let us be realistic. War exists on this planet, and factions need to be prepared to defend themselves. For there are agressors among us who would take advantage of such weakness.
Why is my proposal unfeasible? Because no faction as the guts to try ot make it happen? If all factions are so interested in making peace, then they shouldn't have any problem agreeing to the porposal. For the ones who don't, they don't seem interested in having Peace, making them hypocrites if they continue to preach it.

Quote:
While I applaud your noble sentiment, it is unfeasible at this time. However, the need to find a resolution to Believer-Cult conflict is the first step towards such a peace. And making sure that the conflict does not merely become a theatre for further tensions between the U.N. Peacekeepers and the Spartan Federation.
The conflict there could easily be over if all Factions agree to my proposal. So for the ones who do not agree to it should stop complaining about the Pirates.

Captain Svensgaard
Old October 9, 2001, 18:09   #150
[LordLMP]

To: Planetary Council in Person

Before i start getting flak for what i have said in my latest replies, I would like to say that the Nautilus Pirates votes for Datatech Sinder Roze to become Planetary Governor.

Captain Svensgaard