View Poll Results: Which non included civ would you like to have seen included in Civ3?
Celts 4 5.63%
Spanish 20 28.17%
Vikings 8 11.27%
Mongols 19 26.76%
Incans 5 7.04%
Mayans 0 0%
Polynesians 2 2.82%
Other 2 2.82%
None, Keep It The Way It Is 4 5.63%
Every Civ That Has Ever Existed 7 9.86%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10, 2001, 21:41   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civs
For the poll question I was wondering out of all the civs that weren't included with Civ3 which one were you most dissapointed in not seeing in the game?

For more discussion question I was wondering if you had to choose 16 other civs to be included in the game by an expansion which ones would they be? Possibly include which civ-specific unit they would have and which preset civ abilities would be given to them.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 10, 2001, 22:05   #2
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:25
Spain, certainly!

And you complain about my polls?
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 10, 2001, 22:14   #3
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01

Not to put words in Tech's mouth, but i don't think he was complaining, but offering sincere constructive advice.

Oh and GO CELTS!
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 10, 2001, 22:26   #4
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:25
I voted for every civ - which is my way of saying that the game should have shipped with lots of generic civs, and let people use the editor to create non-generic civs.
Old August 10, 2001, 22:34   #5
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
lord, some people dont want to take the time to do that so i like the way it is.
Old August 10, 2001, 22:38   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:25
As much as I would like to see the Vikings.

I vote
... Mongols: They were the most interesting civ in Civ II.
Everyone hated them
Old August 10, 2001, 23:07   #7
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Celts. They make sense, and would be great to see in civ3 or an expansion pack. I really hate the Mongols, especially after they did something pretty nasty to me in an early civ2 game. Never forgot their treachery.
Old August 10, 2001, 23:15   #8
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by splangy
lord, some people dont want to take the time to do that so i like the way it is.
just dl the modpacks that come out, as so many have been saying.

LOTM
Old August 10, 2001, 23:34   #9
TechWins
King

Quote:
I have one poll going on about one topic, you had about 5 polls going on about one topic. It's just not neccesary to have so many polls about the samething. This poll will stop people from opening up another thread about why this civ should have been included because every civ that wasn't included has been mentioned in the poll.

I voted for the Incans primarliy for the reason that there are not any South American civs included. Plus they were a very accomplished civ throughout history. They could possibly be scientific and religious. I'm not real sure what their civ-specific unit could be.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 11, 2001, 00:50   #10
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:25
If you really want to get technical, I had 4 polls going at the same time on similar things: Germany's leader, Russia's leader, Persia's leader, and Babylon's leader. You try getting all of them into one poll now. And I still don't understand all the fuss about them not bein in the game -- they are!
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 11, 2001, 01:43   #11
Brent
Prince

I had to vote vikings, since I am one.
Old August 11, 2001, 01:47   #12
tniem
King

This poll sorely needed to include the Arabs as an option. Really one of the cultures that I would have to liked to see.

However I still probably would have voted for the feared Mongols.
Old August 11, 2001, 02:08   #13
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:25
Polynesians would have been nice. Who wouldn't want to command an army of half naked women in canoes?
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 11, 2001, 06:16   #14
TechWins
King

Quote:
This poll sorely needed to include the Arabs as an option. Really one of the cultures that I would have to liked to see.
Usually other in a poll means anything that hasn't been mentioned so wouldn't the Arabs fall under that category? You are right they do deserve their own option but who would have I taken out, the Mayans? I wish we could have more poll options.
Old August 11, 2001, 10:30   #15
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 14:25
Mongols because I hate them. (makes sense!)
Old August 11, 2001, 10:59   #16
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:25
Polynesians because they colonized all the archipelagos in the Pacific, having just canoes at their command. They are at least as worthy to be included in Civ3 as the Iroquois.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 11, 2001, 11:09   #17
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
heeeeeeeeeebreeeeeeeeeeewwwwsssss
Old August 11, 2001, 13:18   #18
Peacekeeper
Settler

There's something very wrong about the civilizations in civ,civII and civ III (but not in ctp and smac), they can't mix americans with ancient cultures like babylons, they should instead have something like this:

Iberians
Gauls
Romans
Celts
Germanics
Greek
China
India
Arabia
Normand
Sumeria
Egypt
Incan
etc

You can't mix Spanish with Romans, or Portuguese with Babylons, French with Celts, etc. It looks real strange. Only Ancient cultures should be used.

In the CTP series, they attempt to include as many nations as possible, so this suggestions does not apply to those games.
Old August 11, 2001, 13:52   #19
Slax
Prince

Portuguese!
Old August 11, 2001, 16:00   #20
Brent
Prince

Peacekeeper, that's one aspect of the game that IMHO doesn't need realism. However, I wonder what it'd be like if you start at a different time depending on who you're playing, and ancient civs are certain to fall before modern times, and your score is recorded at your height rather than your downfall or a set year.
Old August 11, 2001, 16:33   #21
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:25
I voted Spanish, although Monbols deserve to be in aswell. Any nation that has had the greatest influence over a continent for over a few hundred years should have been included.
Old August 11, 2001, 17:37   #22
Lenius
Settler

Personally I feel the Celts, Spanish, Vikings and Mongols all should have gotten in. In fact i think it's ludicrous certain Civ's got in over them.

I think someone should do a poll of these Civs and the other 16 to see who the fans think should get in.

Oh and the CELTS RULE !!!!!
Old August 11, 2001, 20:33   #23
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

I say screw it, make it really easy to make civs and add them in the game, and put more effort into gameplay, and making the release date so I can fail my finals

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 11, 2001, 21:21   #24
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:25
I'd like to see the Vikings return in Civ 3. But what would be their special unit?
Old August 11, 2001, 22:37   #25
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
I'd like to see the Vikings return in Civ 3. But what would be their special unit?
How bout some early version of Marines? They were good coastal raiders...

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 12, 2001, 00:50   #26
TechWins
King

Wow the Spanish are catching up to the Mongols. I do feel sorry for the Mayans, nobody has even voted for them.

The Vikings special unit could be some type of middle ages boat. What do you think? Any ideas on what type of boat?

Who here would pay $20-$30 (US equivalency) for an expansion that would include 16 new civs that are equally as good as the ones going to be included and maybe a good patch that would fix a few problems? I might be willling to do that.
Old August 12, 2001, 00:59   #27
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Spain, since they had such a large impact on the world, even if it wasn't for as long as some other Civs.

It'd be nice if Texas was in too.
Old August 12, 2001, 01:04   #28
Brent
Prince

Techwins, I absolutely would.
Old August 12, 2001, 03:24   #29
Sabre2th
King

I'd say I'm enough of a fanatic to do that, Tech.