Old August 10, 2001, 00:26   #1
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CIV of the week-Babylonians!
in case anyones wondering about the Babylonians strengths ill put them right here so we may discuss what we beleive they will be good at. If your someone who dosen't like unique civs then this thread probably wont bennefit you, but i think it'll be interesting anyway.

the babs (as i will now call them to keep my hand from cramping up) are a scientific and religous civ, this meens that-

they get a Free science tech at the begining of each era, this will give them a big bonus in tech, they also get science improvements at a lower cost, i imagine some more peaceful players will be having some fun going to AC MUCH sooner than usual. them starting with bronze working will also help defend your citys from the unwashed hordes!

they also start with ceremonial burial, witch puts them on the new road (according to screenshots) to monarchy, a good goverment, they will have no trouble getting into the new goverment withNO anarchy, they will also have much more culture and happiness due to lowered production costs for religius improvements.

There unique unit, the Bowman is very promissing early on with these stats

Attack-2, defence-1, Movement-2 , it looks like they will be able to scout easier, and get a good front up to the enemy in no time.

the babs will most likely be used by people who like science, and culture in there strategy, thou there weopon is fast, its really best used to chase early invaders away, and with that comes a early bost in trade beouse they get there Golden Age early, just another boost to what looks like a scientific powerhouse.
Old August 10, 2001, 01:58   #2
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Good post splangey, the site has gotten me very excited about Civ III, although skeptical at first, I'm really starting to warm up to Firaxis' proposed changes for the game and The Babs definitly look like an interesting civilization with more than a few advantages going for them (plus Hammurabi is possibly the coolest looking of the leaders). Can't wait to try 'em out.
Old August 10, 2001, 02:23   #3
tniem
King

The other thing to take notice of, is that the unique units are not going to be that big of an unbalancing agent.

We have all woried about ancient civs getting early unique units while the Americans get the big ones late. But if all they are is an added movement point or an extra attack point, it will not unbalance the game.

Sure it might add to your strategy while playing with that civ and sure it could turn the tide in the game. But it certainly won't be the dire situation some talked about. And it won't be enough to decide to pick a civ. Instead what tech you start with is going to be much more important in my opinion.
Old August 10, 2001, 02:39   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:25
Good post Splangy. This will be a good topic to discuss about every civ for the next 16 weeks. I like that Civ of the Week thing, something to look forward to each week.

The civ abilities will make the game a lot more fun. Lets say you're the 'Babs' (nice abbreviation Splangy ) and you your big rival the whole game is the Romans (militariastic & industrious). They continue to pick on you the whole game by attacking you and several other devious things. You've always been ahead of them scientificly but you've lacked a great military, in which something the Romans do have. Finally when you become so far ahead of them scientificly it won't even matter about the size of the armies because you will be able to crush their knights with your tanks. I think this is such a great feature of the game. One of my favorite parts in fact and I hate RTS style games so I'm really surprised I like it. Now lets just be able to randomize the civ abilities and civ-specific units while being able to do editing to the abilities and this would be marvelous!
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 10, 2001, 07:28   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 13:25
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
The other thing to take notice of, is that the unique units are not going to be that big of an unbalancing agent.

We have all woried about ancient civs getting early unique units while the Americans get the big ones late. But if all they are is an added movement point or an extra attack point, it will not unbalance the game.

Sure it might add to your strategy while playing with that civ and sure it could turn the tide in the game. But it certainly won't be the dire situation some talked about. And it won't be enough to decide to pick a civ. Instead what tech you start with is going to be much more important in my opinion.
I agree with you completely! When I saw the archer gets 'just' a movement point extra, I was relieved. With unit bonuses at or below this level, there is no immediate threat to the game's balance.
Old August 10, 2001, 07:38   #6
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:25
I don't get how that is "new" info, though. Wasn't it always going to be one unit, minor change? We learned months ago that the Impi was a Spearman with an extra movement point, for example.
Old August 10, 2001, 07:50   #7
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Yes, we already had the info before.
Old August 10, 2001, 08:35   #8
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Yes, we already had the info before.
That shouldn't imply that discsussion about certain aspects of the special units are off-limits from then on. Hm?
Old August 10, 2001, 09:14   #9
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Quote:
Because of the historical significance and legendary status achieved by the city of Babylon, the term "Babylonian" is often used as a blanket term to refer to all of the cultures and tribes of the southern Mesopotamian region, including the Sumerians, Akkadians, Amorites, Hittites, Kassites, Assyrians, Arameans, and Chaldeans.
Hate to break this to you, Firaxis, but there is no way the Hittites could be considered southern Mesopotamian. The Hittite empire was in Anatolia.
Old August 10, 2001, 12:58   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

archers are only 2-1 now

guess i cant defend with them anymore.
Old August 10, 2001, 13:12   #11
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy
That shouldn't imply that discsussion about certain aspects of the special units are off-limits from then on. Hm?
No, Eli actually has no clue. He's just trying to find new ways to spam the On Topic secretly
Old August 11, 2001, 05:06   #12
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III

No, Eli actually has no clue. He's just trying to find new ways to spam the On Topic secretly
LOL Ok thanks for clearing that up!
Old August 11, 2001, 11:44   #13
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:25
Just to end the Hittite problem - the Hittite empire WAS in Anatolia, but Hittites lived all over the place. They even took over Babylon once. It is also mentioned in th Bible/Tanakh in Joshua about the ancient Israelites fighting the Hittites that lived in Canaan.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 11, 2001, 12:14   #14
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Actually I really remember them saying that the special units will have only increase of 1 point in offence/defence/movement...
Old August 11, 2001, 13:51   #15
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
Just to end the Hittite problem - the Hittite empire WAS in Anatolia, but Hittites lived all over the place. They even took over Babylon once. It is also mentioned in th Bible/Tanakh in Joshua about the ancient Israelites fighting the Hittites that lived in Canaan.
right, the hittites came to southern syria/palestine but never "lived" there. king murshili also sacked and pillaged babylon (in 1531BC I think) but retired immediately from the area. Hittites are no way tied to the ring of mesopotamian civs!