Old August 10, 2001, 09:35   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 13:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A question about civ-specific abilities on/off
In the player setup-screen theres a button called "Civ-specific abilities". Now I understand that you can turn off the Civ-specific abilities table and civ-specific units.

But what if I want to play without that specific abilities table, but with the civ-specific units, or vice-versa? Not possible, I guess.

Also, In the player setup-screen hope you add a civ-abilities customize button, leading to a editable civ-abilities table-screen.

If I want to play a western Civ with a scientific advantage, I dont want to be force-guided to play the Russians. Russia was/is scientifically and technologically backward most of the time. Just give us a player-setup button that let us edit those civ-specific X-values manually (within rules/limits) for each Civ, with a back-to-default button also, of course.

Last edited by Ralf; August 10, 2001 at 09:42.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:47   #2
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 14:26
I guess we could/should be able to change the civ attributes, although the ratio of civs with the default attributes must be attained to preserve game balance? (i.e. x number of civs with rel/mil att. should be the same and so forth)
Old August 10, 2001, 09:53   #3
Ralf
King

I can live with the "all or nothing approach" when it comes to the specific table + golden age + special units on/off. But the ability X-values must be manually editable (within rules/limits) for each civ - one way or the other.

Last edited by Ralf; August 10, 2001 at 10:03.
Old August 10, 2001, 10:10   #4
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
Why not just use the promised comprehensive editors?
Old August 10, 2001, 10:19   #5
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
Why not just use the promised comprehensive editors?
Hmm! Maybe you right. I found this in the Q & A secion:

Quote:
"Hello Firaxis team,

I would like to know if you will still use a textfile with rules for the units and terrains. I'm asking this because I always liked to alter the terrainrules to get more food and shield production. I also would like to know if their will be premade maps and if they are bigger than the ones in Civ II.

I am really looking forward to play the game.

Jan van Nistelrooy
Netherlands

Jan,

We are hard at work on an editor which will allow you to customize the rules to your liking, in very much the same way as the rules.txt file did, though we think the new editor is a lot more user-friendly! We do plan on shipping with a premade "world" map, and you will find that maps in Civ III can be much larger than those found in Civ II. Our random map generator is also much improved over Civ II's, so you should get challenging and enjoyable maps every time."
Better userfriendliness is great , but not enough. Much more stuff (like these X-values, and more) must be editable then it ever was possible with the Rules.txt files in Civ-2 & SMAC.