Old August 13, 2001, 08:35   #1
Horus
Warlord

Local Time: 12:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Axis Awakens (TAA)
Well I will start to play this challenge tonigth and I would be glad to hear any reports of progress that anyone migth have made with leading the Axis against the Nerds. I will report as soon as I got something to report.

Question: which approach would be the hardest one, playing Miriam, Yang or Santiago? As the AI manages the Hive quite well, I guess it would be bad for you to take that faction as your own, or?

If you haven't yet, download from:
http://googlie2.tripod.com/rynnsgallery/id5.html
Old August 14, 2001, 09:45   #2
Horus
Warlord

One down two to go. Well it was me, Miriam who went down. When I had two bases left and the democrats mopping my continent up, I traded a small sea base from Santiago. Becoming a Baby doc/Marcos character, fleeing my country as my capital was 'liberated'.

Well I guess it was wrong to play Mirianm in thsi scenario. Your enemies are so strong in tech that the human player just can't play a tech weak faction, getting the occasional tech from the Hive and the Spartans. I will try to play with anyone of these two and see what I can achive.

The easy Popbooming with Sparta migth do the trick, but I guess Miriam will be an angry ally if I go democrat. Great fun!
Old August 14, 2001, 18:24   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 05:26
Yeah - it's the first game I've played where the SE choices really come into play in a big way.

I set it up with the 3 Axis factions having each others' commlinks, and all "wanting to talk', but in my playtesting I found that unless my SE choices were aligned wiht the other 2 (more or less) they were always "seething."

Miriam can run Dem/FM/Wealth for a decent research rate, but that pisses off both Yang (Dem) and Santiago (Wealth). I had greatest success in running a true axis when I played Yang with the three 'P' choices (Police, Planned and Power)- killed the efficiency and didn't do a lot for the industry either, but both Miriam and Corrie were all lovey-dovey (and the +4 support was awesome).

I also found as a tactic that gifting a tech as soon as I got it made them 'solicitous' - and occasionally 'magnanimous', gifting in return.

(oh, and it's Knowledge that Miriam is averse to, not democracy. And I have seen her quote the Hive's police choice as "ungodly)

Not sure that the way to play that challenge might be to get the other two axis factions as slaves and take on the democracies head-to-head

G.

Last edited by Googlie; August 14, 2001 at 18:37.
Old August 16, 2001, 02:32   #4
Horus
Warlord

Yes true about Miram, both that she hates knowledge and that she coments on your occasional Police state. I play a not in character Santiago at the moment Planned /Democrat/Knowledge most of the time. Miram refuses to speak to me (I only want to give her the tech so that she can get needlejets. Frustrating!) and we only got a Treaty at the moment. An early Eartquake connected my continent with Rose's, so my needlejets patrols the wasteland and kills infantery and probeteams en masse. What I need now is more foil probe teams, but I need more crawlers before I can start a probe wave - not before long anyway (the year is 2200).

Giving Miram tech's is not enough to make her forgive 'ungodly' settings. She is rather funny as she is so diehard Fundy:

Miriam: Ungodly and wreched you, this and that..
Santiago: take my 5 techs for free, as you did some turns ago
Miram: Thanks.
Miriam *as soon as you end Communications she pops up. "I renounce our Pact, we are no longer Pact sisters".

To make your two allies slaves seems as a hard task. Anyway it takes a better player than me to take them on before you turn on your true enemies.
Old August 20, 2001, 07:21   #5
Horus
Warlord

Santiago can conlude that the democrats got a very big population. On the other hand, Santiago took 6 techs in on turn at rush built Cloud Airbase and the Cybborg Factory, and by then already built the Marine center.

So the tiny Spartan pop is very dangerous rigth now, they haven't got time to pop boom yet, wasted all crawlers on the SPs. I guess it is time for conquest rigth away, the situation will not improve much - now that the old crawlers are replaced.
Old August 27, 2001, 06:56   #6
Horus
Warlord

The Spartans (I) has eradicated the Angels now, and the Uni. seems to be the next target. The Angels were beaten with laser guns (!) 2-3-1 mostly, moving in groups so that they prevented bribes. HGP and two other projects was the reward. The invasion was achived by an earthquake which connected the Spartan and Angel continent with each other.

Miriam is first in rank, and seems as all to though at the moment. The Spartans landed a force on the beach of the Gaians, the had to withdrawe as the were all to weak.

The Spartans are producing Clean gas choppers at the moment, all Elite. The industry is a bit small so they can't get them out at the pace they want to. We'll see how it turns out. The Belivers gets some serious beating by the Cyborgs, but they can take it - they got some tech from me lately.