Old August 13, 2001, 15:18   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ of the week. Which day does it change?
I woundered if we knew which day of the week there is a new civilisation of the week? :-)
Old August 13, 2001, 15:38   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:27
double post.
Old August 13, 2001, 15:38   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

site came up on a friday? did it not?

looks like the americans are next too
Old August 13, 2001, 15:52   #4
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 13:27
The list is alphabetical, yet they started whit Babylon, I don't think the list has anything to do whit which civ is next.
Old August 13, 2001, 21:34   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:27
For some reason I think they might do the Egyptians next, just a wild guess.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 14, 2001, 01:44   #6
tniem
King

I think they may be going in the order of golden ages. That would mean that the Zulus or Egyptians would probably be next. Any ways, I guess we will soon find out.
Old August 14, 2001, 01:52   #7
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:27
I think it might be random, possibly starting from the ancient age to the modern age.
Old August 14, 2001, 02:31   #8
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:27
Hmmm. Friday...yes Friday is my vote.

This would make a good topic for a poll!

- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old August 14, 2001, 02:39   #9
TechWins
King

Quote:
This would make a good topic for a poll!
Alex, don't get any dumb ideas about making a poll, either.

Yeah I would have to say Friday is going to be the day.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 14, 2001, 02:56   #10
Martinus
Prince

About the next civ:

Yesterday I have entered the Civ3 site but through slow modem connection, not my usual LAN. When you enter there is a white on blue animation with Civ of the Week, which when goes to show grinning Hammurabi.

Well, not on a slow connection. Apparently the animation with Hammurabi did not dowload at first and I got the following white on blue:

Civ of the Week
*next screen*
Babylonians
*next screen*
Egyptians
*next screen*
Greeks

and then Hammurabi popped up.
It seems the Egyptians are next
Old August 14, 2001, 03:49   #11
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:27
Quote:
looks like the americans are next too
I don't think so. Obviously Firaxis will show us the ancient civs first, and (I guess) show the americans in the last update.

Ancient civs and units first. So I say next to come are the egyptians or maybe greeks or aztecs.

It's only Tuesday *sigh*
Old August 14, 2001, 14:41   #12
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

I don't think so. Obviously Firaxis will show us the ancient civs first, and (I guess) show the americans in the last update.

Ancient civs and units first. So I say next to come are the egyptians or maybe greeks or aztecs.

It's only Tuesday *sigh*
Shouldn't Germany be last? It was formed after the US, wasn't it?
Old August 14, 2001, 15:20   #13
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

So the order, if it is indeed based on Date of Formation, would be

Babylonians
Egyptians
Greeks
Chinese
Persians
Romans
French
Japanese
English
Aztecs
Russians
Indians
Iroquois
Americans
Zulus
Germans

Or something. Maybe. What's wrong in my list? What Indian Empires can be considered "Indian"? I've gone with the Moghul Empire, but what would it really be?
Old August 14, 2001, 17:08   #14
TechWins
King

Well, the Indians were even before the Greeks. The Indians, Chinese, Egyptians, and Babylonians should be the first four civs. The Japanese were also a very early civ so they should be ahead of the French at least.
Old August 15, 2001, 01:52   #15
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I didn't say "ancient countries first", I said "ancient civs first, which is certainly not the same thing. So yes, Germany as it looks like today was formed after the US, but the german civilization is older than the american (not the german state). The same thing is true also for Zulu, I think.

IMO another reason is marketing related: Firaxis will show the americans (and the cool modern units) only a few weeks before release, to drag more attention to the game.

Anyway, I bet the americans will be last. It's like a ceremony: the King (or bride) enters last
Old August 15, 2001, 02:12   #16
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
Or something. Maybe. What's wrong in my list?
Historians are finding that one of the earlies civs was the Indus Valley civ that is within India. It makes the Indians a much earlier civ than what you have posted.

The Americans will definitely be the last ones as my civ has been around the least amount of time.

Japan's state began emerging in the Fourth Century as local leaders began to take over larger stretches of land ther. Further back if you include some of their prehistory. In the Fifth Century, the Germanic tribes were still moving into Gaul forming the population that would make up France.

Around 882 AD unified states began to make up Russia, meanwhile Aztecs were 14th to 16th centuries.

So if I made the list on when a civ was formed it would go something like this:

Babylonians
Indians
Egyptians
Greeks
Chinese
Persians
Romans
Japanese
English
French
Germans
Russians
Aztecs
Iroquois
Zulus
Americans

My history may still be a little off.

Of course that is only be when the civs were formed. Now if you go by when they are going to get their Golden Age everything changes. Now the Russians, Germans, and Americans move to the end. And the rest of them move around.
Old August 15, 2001, 02:21   #17
JellyDonut
Prince

Based on the formation of the modern country (like what you did with Germany), India should come last (became independent from Britain in 1947), but in any case I think the Egyptians are coming next and my guess is that the new civ will come tomorrow. Actually we know none of the stats for sure. I assume Cleopatra will be the leader (but the pic doesn't resemble her much) and the capital will be Thebes, but you never know; Firaxis might change it to Cairo or Alexandria or something. And we'll finally find out what that special unit of theirs is. I can't wait.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 15, 2001, 09:38   #18
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
Based on the formation of the modern country (like what you did with Germany), India should come last (became independent from Britain in 1947
It would be ridiculous - after all the Indian empire existed both in ancient and medieval times. It would be like saying Hebrews are young civ, as Israel was established after WWII
Old August 15, 2001, 09:53   #19
Kropotkin
Emperor

Friday might be a bit optimistic. As they don't seem to do much at that site at all it wouldn't suprise me if they woun't upgrade it at all for a while. One shouldn't take 'Civ of the week' to literary...
Old August 15, 2001, 10:58   #20
easy
Chieftain

Yes, I really can't wait! I don't have enough patience to watch a civil for a week. Give us all pls!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
It's only Tuesday *sigh*